PDA

View Full Version : Extra Server Resets: Yes or No

Splorf22
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
So I had a thread about variance that actually produced some interesting ideas. I've changed my mind somewhat though: I feel the real problem right now is that EQ was designed for maybe 150-250 high-end players while we probably have perhaps 500-600 people who play the endgame on this server or would if it weren't so crowded, with about half in in the "top" guilds and half in the second tier guilds. With such a high demand relative to supply, price must increase (=massive KS'ing, training, and GM annoyances) and so the added variance simply changes the way this price is paid (=tracking, sitting at your computer ready to log in at a moment's notice).

Still I like the idea of a few simulated patch days: it's classic (patch notes show Verant was rebooting things all the time), it adds a few more high end items to the economy when clearly we have a massive surplus of players relative to items (i already have my epic, this is not a me me me thing), "second tier" guilds might actually get something, and it's a lot of fun to race for mobs.

Lazortag
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
We had patch day repops before, on actual patch days. The problem was that either (a) the staff stopped doing them, or (b) they did them very inconsistently, and (c) sometimes the repops were "staggered" without informing the general server population, so it just gave even more of an advantage to the top guilds. On the ones I participated in we were very competitive and performed very well. Considering patches happen here far less often than they do on Live, I see no reason to not have patch day repops.

Shweet
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Older high end player (always top tier content) newer to the server here. I was really upset when I heard the state of raiding on this server as it was mainly described as, "You better go buy some socks at walmart."

I think this kind of thing where players can look forward to an end game where they don't have to have batphone at 4am for an emulated 12 year old mmo. My vote is yes to some solid ways to seperate high end zerg domination.

Flunklesnarkin
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't think they should reset server just for the sake of resetting.. it happens often enough as it is imo.

I don't see how a server reset stops end game zerg domination though... if your guild can't mobilize fast enough to get to a raid target.. or have one person watch a spawn for a ToD then be there before its window.. then its on you and not the other guild.

Szeth
01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Voted no

Lazortag
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM

I don't see how a server reset stops end game zerg domination though... if your guild can't mobilize fast enough to get to a raid target.. or have one person watch a spawn for a ToD then be there before its window.. then its on you and not the other guild.

It's not always superior mobilization that wins the day when "varianced" spawns are concerned, a lot of the time people just camp their mains near the boss that's in window, or resort to poopsocking for days on end. With patch day repops there's more of an emphasis on mobilization and less on poopsocking, so it does benefit the smaller guilds somewhat. I still don't think "simulated" patch day repops are the way to go.

Splorf22
01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Voted no

You don't like big butts, Szeth?

Szeth
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm more into the petite kind of girls

Bruman
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Absolutely.

There is way more demand for these targets than there ever was on live on the vast majority of servers. The variance is a horrible idea. What we need are static respawns more often. Simulated patch days would be awesome too, as long as it was at a sane hour, not 4 AM.

But from what I can tell, the devs like keeping the content to the 2-3 guilds that can poopsock more. They typically never comment on these issues, no matter how often it's brought up.

Splorf22
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm more into the petite kind of girls

Well nowadays this kind of thing means "fat" which is of course not good. But if you ever go to Brazil, you might change your mind.

Silentone
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
i think patch days and repops would only help the server, and if you think that other guilds wont get any action you are wrong. Yes top guilds will outmobilize small guilds..but if top guilds are after the TOP target then currently that leaves a lot open...

Szeth
01-31-2012, 03:27 PM
While I agree that small guilds will get a few targets during full repops, I just can't jive with the fact that IB and TMO will get significantly more loot for no reason.

Xanthias
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
How about just simply patches to fix things in a timely manner?
(ie ragefire, monk epic 30hr mobs)

Bruman
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
If nothing else, the fact is "it's classic".

I think VP worked out well - no GM intervention, the guilds worked out a rotation. I think if we got rid of variance and added simulated patch day repops, not only would it bring the server back to a classic feel, it would require guilds to work out a solution for lower-tier targets too.

Raavak
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
36-24-36?
Only if she's 5'3"

Lazortag
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
While I agree that small guilds will get a few targets during full repops, I just can't jive with the fact that IB and TMO will get significantly more loot for no reason.

It's not significantly more loot, patches rarely happen on p99. Also you're assuming they will always outmobilize the smaller guilds. There have been post-kunark patches (granted they were a while ago) where some "big guilds" were outmobilized by a certain "small guild".

Splorf22
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM

Well, if my math is correct a server reset every 14 +/- 3 days would add 25% more items into the economy (basically 50% of the time you get 3 pops/two weeks, 50% of the time you get 2 pops/2 weeks, so 5 pops a month rather than 4 basically).

But yeah its interesting to see the sides drawn, its basically "we want more loot" vs "we got our loot already, suck it up and play more if you want to join our club". I guess I should have anticipated this.

Bruman
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
If the variance was kept on the server repop, it would greatly defeat the purpose. Variance supports those that can play EQ 24/7, which is who currently gets the majority of the targets. It's not but more loot for them mostly.

maahes
01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
I know the devs have lives and paying careers, but I would love to see the IP exemption process speed up. Anything that could prevent someoen from playing on the server is what I would like to be cleaned up the most. But its their server they can and will do what ever they want.

Szeth
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Bruman, I can only play from 6am-9am in the mornings and 6pm-11pm(or earlier) at night.

The key to winning on p99 isn't playing all day, but having people who play at all times of day. There is a distinct difference.

mwatt
01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I voted "no". I dont' think Rogean and crew need anything additional to do on their free time. Set patch days and times essentially makes them run their lives around their hobby - they get enough of that already.
Also, set days and times is very likely to increase the amount of arguments and petitions that the support team has to deal with.

In any event, no amount of extra patching will satisfy the needs of the heavy raid player. Also, in my opinion, the top guilds will still get most of the loot.

mwatt
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
One other thing - this poll, like most that I have seen, is set up to be skewed. This one is slightly skewed in favor of more patch days. The "big butts" category will garner some votes from people who would normally have said "no". The name of this category should have been "It doesn't matter to me."

Bruman
01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
One other thing - this poll, like most that I have seen, is set up to be skewed. This one is slightly skewed in favor of more patch days. The "big butts" category will garner some votes from people who would normally have said "no". The name of this category should have been "It doesn't matter to me."

It's multiple choice. You can pick all the ones you like.

Raavak
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
The "big butts" category will garner some votes from people who would normally have said "no".

I bet you've never taken a good long look at J Lo.

mwatt
01-31-2012, 07:57 PM
I bet you've never taken a good long look at J Lo.

Hey... I cannot lie either, lol.

Heebee
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Voted for big butts. Also - don't care.