PDA

View Full Version : To Potential New Players From A Player

mwatt
01-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Greetings and hopefully, welcome. I wanted to make a thread to help folks decide if they want to play on Project 1999. To this end, I thought I might list what is good about it and also what differences you might find between this server and actual classic-based EverQuest.

The good:
* Feels like the real thing. That is, it feels lilke coming home to the original EQ.
* A fairly sizeable player base, and one that is on the whole, very friendly
* Outstanding Dev and GM/Guide support (bear in mind, they owe us NOTHING)
* It's free, though you may contribute via donation or clicking advertisements

The different and/or possibly unexpected:
* Requires Titanium client - Shadows of Faydwer will not work properly
* The devs are committed to providng a time-frame consistent rendition of EQ - this includes any nerfs that were active within said time frame (even if they were later revoked beyond the current time frame)
* A few game mechanics and characteristics are not quite the same as they really were in EQ

If anything you have read in the above text gives you pause for concern, let me assure you that it shouldn't. P99 is the best thing since sliced bread - heck, it's quite possibly the very best MMO on the planet. You should definitely check it out - there is like a 99% probability that you will be more than pleased.

In an attempt at completeness, I am going to specificially list the most significant differences (in my personal opinion) between the Classic EQ rendition on Project 1999 and what I remember of the original EQ during the Kunark timeframe:
* Mob spawning mechanics are sometimes different. For example, certain named mobs might not trigger in the same way as they did on live. This difference can also be seen in certain other non-named mobs.
* Mob pathing is often different. Though the right kinds of mobs and the right names will be present in every zone, you will find that the pathing is frequently somewhat different. This is particularly prevalent in large open zones.
* Mobs can hit you from pretty far away when chasing you.
* Pet taunt does not work well.
* Not everything that was multi-questable is mutli-questable. However, JBoots and Epic turn-ins are multi-questable
* Stamina is not affected by melee (not sure if this matches Kunark classic time period STA behavior - maybe it does).

Good luck and have fun. None of the above changes the real soul of the game. Once again, welcome home. You're back in your world now.