View Full Version : /guildwar

sawin
02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
anyone else recall this from live?

/guildwar <guild leader name> <1-14>

implement and prepare for our red brothers' return

fischsemmel
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
What I find interesting is that there was even a need for red in the first place.

I know that turning on PvP isn't quite the same as what they have on red right now. But what are the differences between 1) having blue and red and 2) having blue with all the players who are currently on red just enabling pvp?

The difference is the red players wouldn't be able to get at any high-end PvE gear by PvPing their competition.

But wait. I thought leet PvPers on red didn't give a shit about PvE.

Huh.

Diggles
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Red players are just blues who like to attack other raiders instead of training them/memblurring their boss/griefing them on forums (they do this too though)

Darwoth
02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
What I find interesting is that there was even a need for red in the first place.

I know that turning on PvP isn't quite the same as what they have on red right now. But what are the differences between 1) having blue and red and 2) having blue with all the players who are currently on red just enabling pvp?

The difference is the red players wouldn't be able to get at any high-end PvE gear by PvPing their competition.

Huh.

no the difference is that the entire reason we play on red is to not have to play alongside several hundred annoying retards like yourself that we can;t kill, and since people like you would not have the pvp flag enabled it defeats the entire point.

and yes, guildwar with specifiy from 1 day to two weeks was a classic function.

Lazortag
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
no the difference is that the entire reason we play on red is to not have to play alongside several hundred annoying retards like yourself that we can;t kill, and since people like you would not have the pvp flag enabled it defeats the entire point.

and yes, guildwar with specifiy from 1 day to two weeks was a classic function.

What? If all the red players migrated to blue and turned in their books there'd be the same number of pvp-flagged players. Your argument makes no sense. The reason red99 is needed is because you can resolve camp disputes and stuff like that with pvp.

acid_reflux
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Not too many people on red. I wont go simply because of the few people on there that spend all day applying ridiculous amounts of grief to noobs. I'm not going to get trapped in a death cycle at a noob spawn point and be forced to terminate the client to get out if it. I don't give a shit about anything red. Waste of resources.

Darwoth
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
What? If all the red players migrated to blue and turned in their books there'd be the same number of pvp-flagged players. Your argument makes no sense. The reason red99 is needed is because you can resolve camp disputes and stuff like that with pvp.

comprehension, get some

Darwoth
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Not too many people on red. I wont go simply because of the few people on there that spend all day applying ridiculous amounts of grief to noobs. I'm not going to get trapped in a death cycle at a noob spawn point and be forced to terminate the client to get out if it. I don't give a shit about anything red. Waste of resources.

interesting story, guess you have ample experience with said fictitious non event.

heartbrand
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
comprehension, get some

heartbrand
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Huh.

Because some of us don't want to log in, see all of our camps taken by poopsockers, and log out having nothing to do. We prefer to be able to kill said poopsockers and take their precious camps, thanks.

Lanuven
02-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Guildwar was on our server for like a whole month before it got removed. our guild declared war on another, over some dragon KS'ing and gm's did nothing. So we petitioned to have guildwar turned on. Was later removed after all the crying from people who didnt want to be a part of the war, from both guilds.
Was very fun though for the time being.

bamzal
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

this guy really sucks

Lazortag
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
The griefing on red was stupid at first but now with guard assist it's not as much of a problem. Unfortunately I'm sure a few people got turned off when they lost their life savings after being PKed at the bank, or at the docks in EFP, with no guards to help them. I'm not saying this encapsulates every problem with red's population but it was one problem.

Nirgon
02-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Not all killing of other players "is griefing" but I see a lot of temper tantrums. People need to realize they need to learn and there will certainly be growing pains when learning EQ PvP.

For many and with the modern breed of gamers, this is "impossible" for them to do.

acid_reflux
02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Some people enjoy skill, some people enjoy ruining other people's day. People who enjoy skill acquire PvE gear for the competitive advantage. People who enjoy the latter behavior kill people who acquire said PvE gear for the joy of causing others grief. The red server accommodates both; the skillers decry the griefers as being too griefy whilst the griefers decry the skillers for not applying their skills. Skilled griefers do whatever they want.

Blue and red together wouldn't work from a design perspective simply because reds want freedom from blue rules and blues want freedom from red anarchy. If enough people want (no-rules) red it's worth running a server; you just have to figure out how to balance a demand for new players with the demand for the ability to grief them off the server.

"Red Anarchy." There is no balance. I tried sullon zek when it was first released. Got an iksar sk up to level 35 before my friend (iksar shaman) got sick of it. If you dont have friends going in, it really sucks balls.
Before i got a friend to play the game, i was expert at providing warm bodies for a half elf bard that sat on the dark elf noob spawn twisting speed metal in my face. The corpse pile was so dense my computer would stall trying to render the corpses. Got a hard lesson in hidecorpse usage. Sucks that all the corpses were mine.
By the time i got a new character to replace the old canon fodder, i got the zone gank lesson from a dwarf rogue assassinating everyone that exited neriak and the guards... oh he had a high elf friend (wizard) that sat on top of the pillars and nuked the shit out if everyone the rogue couldnt one shot. If it drew high level evils (evac). Getting out of noobville was bullshit.
So to the douche that flamed me for my previous comment. Yes, i have experience. No, its not fictitious. Red sucks balls. Because of how the people that play on it shit on each other, not the concept.

mwatt
02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree. PVE and PVP don't mix well. Anyone in the PVE mood is just out of luck if some random PVP-minded player can attack at any time. In short, PVE gets pre-empted. So, the only people who will really enjoy a PVP server are those for whom PVP is more fun than PVE. If that is the case, why play on a hybrid server? Just move to a Quake-like scenario and be done with it.

I have a theory that many PVP players enjoy a mixed PVE/PVP experience because those who try to incorporate any real PVE into their play become like a herd of herbivores to the carnivorous, wolf-like PVP loving player. For myself, if I am going to be an herbivore, I'd rather do it in a place that is devoid of carnivores that might attack me. I rather suspect that most PVE players feel much the same. IMO, this is why Red will ultimately never achieve a sustained populous playerbase. Eventually the herd animals get tired of being eaten and only a dwindling population of wolves remains to feed on themselves.

In any event whether my theory is correct or not, it is undeniable that the ability to be a spoiler is attractive to players with a certain mindset. Unfortunately, on a whole, players of this mindset tend to be more self-centered, agressive and even sometimes border on sociopathic. In short, PVP servers tend to accumulate what many PVE players would consider to be "dicks". Of course, the PVP crowd considers PVE players to be "wusses" at best... which lead me back to my original thesis. PVE and PVP don't mix well.

Ssleeve
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow a lot of misconceptions about the pvp server in this thread.

It's ok though, tell yourself whatever you need to to believe you would prefer to play a server with uber long poop socks at droppable gear camps that you can't do anything about and rampant RMT'ing because of it.

Plutomoon
02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
How come pvp discussion always makes its way to this side? Personally I don't want to hear shit about it. This thread belongs in RnF

mwatt
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: It's ok though, tell yourself whatever you need to to believe ...
I don't need to convince myself that I love playing EverQuest - PVE Everquest - because I do.

RE: ... you would prefer to play a server with uber long poop socks at droppable gear camps that you can't do anything about ...
Yes I would much rather play on a server where I had to wait for camps than play on one where non-consenting (and even consenting, to be honest) PVP exists.

RE: ... and rampant RMT'ing because of it.
I don't doubt there is some degree of RMT'ing going on. "Rampant" however, is at least from my point of view, pure hyperbole.

And to respond to the previous poster, yes, this thread is devolving. I'm done discussing the shortcomings/merits of PVP in EQ.

Ssleeve
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Your right, there isn't tons of blue server RMT'ing going on my bad.

Also enjoy waiting days for some poopsock rotation of all the good droppables and raid zones to *maybe* end for a chance at it.

Darwoth
02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
"Red Anarchy." There is no balance. I tried sullon zek when it was first released. Got an iksar sk up to level 35 before my friend (iksar shaman) got sick of it. If you dont have friends going in, it really sucks balls.
Before i got a friend to play the game, i was expert at providing warm bodies for a half elf bard that sat on the dark elf noob spawn twisting speed metal in my face. The corpse pile was so dense my computer would stall trying to render the corpses. Got a hard lesson in hidecorpse usage. Sucks that all the corpses were mine.
By the time i got a new character to replace the old canon fodder, i got the zone gank lesson from a dwarf rogue assassinating everyone that exited neriak and the guards... oh he had a high elf friend (wizard) that sat on top of the pillars and nuked the shit out if everyone the rogue couldnt one shot. If it drew high level evils (evac). Getting out of noobville was bullshit.
So to the douche that flamed me for my previous comment. Yes, i have experience. No, its not fictitious. Red sucks balls. Because of how the people that play on it shit on each other, not the concept.

sorry, did not realize that your inability to escape the newbzone (in spite of being on the evil team, with 80% of the server population, lmao) 10 years ago on a server with no level restriction and 2500+ players applied in the least to this server.

i see now that you are truly an expert on the matter and will sit here quietly eagerly awaiting some more of your highly amusing war stories.