PDA

View Full Version : Xp penalty removal

Aroith
02-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Was wondering which expansion took out xp penalties for hybrids. Thanks!

Xanthias
02-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Velious

Aroith
02-09-2012, 03:57 AM
hell yeah, thanks!

Flunklesnarkin
02-09-2012, 03:59 AM
i vote to keep hybrid penalty ^^

Xanthias

Hell no

Diggles

good thing this server isn't a democracy

sbvera13
02-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Unfortunately Rogean will probably do nothing that wasn't classic. Personally, I think it's more classic to remove it, because we didn't know about it back then and thus it didn't effect our decisions on who we group with, etc. We do know about it now, and it does affect our (or some people's) decision, and that doesn't give a classic feel.

Alternately, I would accept making it apply to the character only and not affecting the group. Less ideal (I play one, right?) but it solves the social problems caused by the mechanic, which is the bigger issue.

Flunklesnarkin
02-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately Rogean will probably do nothing that wasn't classic. Personally, I think it's more classic to remove it, because we didn't know about it back then and thus it didn't effect our decisions on who we group with, etc. We do know about it now, and it does affect our (or some people's) decision, and that doesn't give a classic feel.

Alternately, I would accept making it apply to the character only and not affecting the group. Less ideal (I play one, right?) but it solves the social problems caused by the mechanic, which is the bigger issue.

That would be a good compromise imo

can you imagine how many hybrids would flood the server once the "exp penalty" is removed...

I think its cooler to keep them as a less common class

I don't have any high level hybrid either.. so removing would only benefit me personally

Ganjar
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Personally, I think it's more classic to remove it, because we didn't know about it back then and thus it didn't effect our decisions on who we group with, etc. We do know about it now, and it does affect our (or some people's) decision, and that doesn't give a classic feel.

I don't know about that , let me share any early memory with you . It's when i first discovered other people from the football team played everquest too, and really a whole group of my highschool friends. They were like you play everquest?!? What do you play?" I was like " I play a wizard or something - really never had a main backthen . I asked him what he played and he said a chanter, and then i asked what my other friend had and he said a 49 SK, I was like whoa!! - but then my friend started making fun of him saying that no one would group with him cause he was a SK lol , making fun of him - Thats how i found out about penalty hehe. That led to alot of halfling chars.

Yanomamo
02-09-2012, 05:57 AM
do this so i can level a bard to 50 in a week plz

sbvera13
02-09-2012, 06:24 AM
snip.
When was that? I don't remember ever hearing about it until well into Kunark, and then in velious it was removed. 90% of the time I spent playing it was never an issue, either due to general ignorance of the problem or the fix.

Widan
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately Rogean will probably do nothing that wasn't classic. .

Hate to break it to you but like half the server isn't 'classic'. That's not really an excuse for stupid things to still be in the game anymore.

sawin
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
out-leveling your hybrid friends is classic

eqravenprince
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Hate to break it to you but like half the server isn't 'classic'. That's not really an excuse for stupid things to still be in the game anymore.

Half lol. Exaggerate much.

fischsemmel
02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
do this so i can level a bard to 50 in a week plz

You can already if you're willing to play a lot.

Droxx
02-09-2012, 11:43 AM

It was like this for a while here before they made it how it was now. It was pretty awesome playing a paladin and literally getting 1 blue to their nearly 2 blues in the same group.

Ele
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Need halfling rangers before this happens.

Lishrac
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Need halfling rangers before this happens.

I thought halfling rangers were in at Classic?

Ele
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I thought halfling rangers were in at Classic?

Luclin addition along with Halfling paladins and gnome paladin/shadow knights

Lishrac
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Ah ok. Learn something new every day.

sbvera13
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Agreed. But I'm not the one in charge.

mwatt
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Agreed. But I'm not the one in charge.

Thank goodness.

Flunklesnarkin
03-05-2012, 12:38 AM
so do they plan to keep the exp penalty in during velious or take it out.

Would be nice to know if i should just wait like every tom, dick, and harry to level up a hybrid.

Scavrefamn
03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Maybe they could just decrease it to half ? 40% is brutal...

Ikonoclastia
03-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Im leveling a ranger atm, its tough, specially dinging on gnolls teeth then getting dt for 500, deleveling, then dying a few more times tryna get ur corpse outta qeynos, ended the day with less xp then I started with.

But having said that, it is part of the fun, dying really hurts as a hybrid, so theres more at stake, so its more fun imo.

And really if its that annoying, level up a druid or something then pl ur hybrid.

Edit: by PL i mean farm plat / gear with your druid and then twink out your hybrid, not two box pl.. which is against the rools).

dark void2100
03-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Im leveling a ranger atm, its tough, specially dinging on gnolls teeth then getting dt for 500, deleveling, then dying a few more times tryna get ur corpse outta qeynos, ended the day with less xp then I started with.

But having said that, it is part of the fun, dying really hurts as a hybrid, so theres more at stake, so its more fun imo.

And really if its that annoying, level up a druid or something then pl ur hybrid.

Edit: by PL i mean farm plat / gear with your druid and then twink out your hybrid, not two box pl.. which is against the rools).

Lol...

rmackner
03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't get how a influx of hybrid will effect anything other then more groups for low level players. Most hybrids can't perform as well in raids as non-hybrids, they are just somewhat better in exp partys (as in warrior tank to a pal/sk tank). Having more high level hybrids will not effect or replace the need for non-hybrid classes. It's not like a bunch of pal/sk hitting 60 will effect how a warrior gets invited to a raid. Removal of the exp penalty will only support growth of the server and not effect anything other then more people grouping with each other.

jballe3
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
i honestly think it's crap when people won't invite a class just because of the penalty..... i've seen people lfg forever and not get groups, but then a certain class rolls in that plays a similar role and they get picked up right away.

Grozmok
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Luclin FTL.

I welcome the exp changes with Velious. Only because it's still a pain in the ass to level in EQ, without any exp penalties.

:D

Gamkek
03-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't get how a influx of hybrid will effect anything other then more groups for low level players. Most hybrids can't perform as well in raids as non-hybrids, they are just somewhat better in exp partys (as in warrior tank to a pal/sk tank). Having more high level hybrids will not effect or replace the need for non-hybrid classes. It's not like a bunch of pal/sk hitting 60 will effect how a warrior gets invited to a raid. Removal of the exp penalty will only support growth of the server and not effect anything other then more people grouping with each other.

It doesn't affect anything for end-game functionality, but it does rob current hybrid classes of their accomplishment. The whole reason there are so few high-level hybrid classes is because they are difficult to level up. If you remove the exp penalty, you diminish the experience of players that have leveled those difficult race/class combos because soon they are going to be inundated with fellow SKs/Pallys/Rangers/Bards who took half the time to level up. It's lame.

Of course, I say all this as a player who hasn't leveled any toon over 25 on p99. lol. The early parts of the game are the most fun to me.

mwatt
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM

This comment is bullshit hyperbole. Yes, there are some ways in which it this server is not exactly classic. However, show me a server that is closer. Heck show me an actual playable server that is even attempting to provide the classic experience.

In reality, given non-infinte resources, and the inability to gain certain knowledge, no server will ever be truly 100% classic.

That's not really an excuse to not come as close as is reasonably possible. I'm so sick of glib little posts like this that are running down people who are actually DOING something, and without pay at that.

Hitchens
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I have never turned someone away for being a hybrid, I love Rangers and SKs.

Grozmok
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
If you remove the exp penalty, you diminish the experience of players that have leveled those difficult race/class combos because soon they are going to be inundated with fellow SKs/Pallys/Rangers/Bards who took half the time to level up. It's lame.

You also get the really good players that don't have time to burn grinding up a hybrid to keep playing the game and giving back to the community.

"Well, I really wanted to play an n, but the grind is terrible. I'm bored of playing my main. Guess, I'll go play game y instead."

That's my only real issue with the exp penalty.

Sirbanmelotz
03-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I leveled a Troll SK, quit being a pussy if you wan to be the best you gotta work the hardest

Flunklesnarkin
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
everybody already knows about the exp penalties and that in of itself is already not "classic"

I think it would be better to just leave them in game so the people who spent time leveling them up don't gotta compete with the nubs ;p

William Henry Harrison
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
is it class or race penalties that go away in velious?

Xanthias
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
is it class or race penalties that go away in velious?

Class
Racial never do I think... or at least they hadn't through PoP iirc

rmackner
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
everybody already knows about the exp penalties and that in of itself is already not "classic"

I think it would be better to just leave them in game so the people who spent time leveling them up don't gotta compete with the nubs ;p

What does removing the exp penalty have to do with competing with noobs at end game? Most hybrids like I said before aren't as effective in raids as classes that don't have the exp penalty. Most likely the reason sony removed it down the road.

Messianic
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey guyz lets call the server half non-classic when even if we're being hyper critical it's like 5%

bakkily
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
i thought it was Luclin that class penalties went away, not velious

sbvera13
03-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Luclin was actually the hell level removal and retroactive exp return for those that had been through them.

Lazortag
03-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Hey guyz lets call the server half non-classic when even if we're being hyper critical it's like 5%

I prefer to say that it's asymptotically approaching classic.

Messianic
03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
i thought it was Luclin that class penalties went away, not velious

1/14/01 - letter from EQ producers indicating that in the next patch the exp penalties for classes will disappear - Source: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/editorial/011401_EQ_Producers_letter.html

1/17/01 - The primary focus of today's patch is to implement changes noted in the new Producer's Letter which can be found at http://everquest.station.sony.com/main/letter.jsp.

It is highly recommended that you read the Producer's Letter before playing EverQuest. It contains some unprecedented and exciting enhancements to gameplay.

Source: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010117.html

12/4/01 - Luclin Released

Lagaidh
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I've always been a dwarf paladin; here and in live.

I gotta say, I really enjoy being a paladin here. Unsolicited group invites! Holy crap! It's like being a CLR/SHM/ENC on my live servers. I've asked to join a group on this server exactly once (thanks again for the fun Gnotfat). I normally have the insane luxury of accepting a group when I wish. Where is all of the min/max bigotry that is endlessly referenced here on the boards? I did see this happen to rangers... in Live.

I knew there would be the original penalty. I never cared one bit and happily resurrected my character. I'd play a paladin even if the penalty were never removed. I used to wear it as a badge of honor.

If you don't want me around for that, well... your loss.

Since agro isn't a penis, I'll gladly hold it for my tenure in a group.

I can't think of a player I have personally encountered on this server that openly rejected anybody from a group for any reason other than "I've played with that person... he/she is really bad..."

Meh. I guess I don't get around much. (True)

eadric
03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
The only class that truly suffers from the xp penalty is Rangers. Bards, Paladins, and Shadowknights are readily invited to groups for their tanking and cc abilities. Rangers have exceptional utility outdoors, but not nearly as much in higher level indoor dungeons.

Pierth
03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
You also get the really good players that don't have time to burn grinding up a hybrid to keep playing the game and giving back to the community.

"Well, I really wanted to play an n, but the grind is terrible. I'm bored of playing my main. Guess, I'll go play game y instead."

That's my only real issue with the exp penalty.

I can see your point on this, but avoiding gameplay because of grinds is what got the whole MMORPG genre to where it is now and why many of us here are playing here instead of the AAA games out now.

eqravenprince
03-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Luclin was actually the hell level removal and retroactive exp return for those that had been through them.

All they did was smooth out the levels. There was not any "return" for anyone. No one all of a sudden leveled up without doing anything.

Grozmok
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I can see your point on this, but avoiding gameplay because of grinds is what got the whole MMORPG genre to where it is now and why many of us here are playing here instead of the AAA games out now.

Fair enough.

I guess weeding out the casual gamers is a good thing?

:confused:

Pierth
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Fair enough.

Depends on their mindset. I consider myself a hardcore player, but my play time available is very casual. With that in mind I understand that what I'll be able to achieve in this game is far different than those that have more time to play. I know this going in, and I knew it before coming here. Not all games are for all players.

Hitchens
03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Fair enough.

Casual gamers aren't concerned with racing to the maximum level.

Grozmok
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess my point is that the time it takes to reach certain class milestones will be longer for casual gamers. I guess that's fine, since it's up to each player to determine what that means.

Just to be clear, I consider myself a casual gamer. I play daily, but only 1-2 hours if I'm lucky. I don't have the time like I used to when I was in college to poopsock.

That being said, I personally would like to see the exp penalties removed/reduced/whatever. The thought being that this would allow me to reach the point in each of the respective classes where I feel that they begin to really open up and become fun to play. Typically this is >= 15-20 depending on the class.

The mundane gameplay pre-15-20 is what I'm trying to avoid, personally.

rmackner
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I guess my point is that the time it takes to reach certain class milestones will be longer for casual gamers. I guess that's fine, since it's up to each player to determine what that means.

Just to be clear, I consider myself a casual gamer. I play daily, but only 1-2 hours if I'm lucky. I don't have the time like I used to when I was in college to poopsock.

That being said, I personally would like to see the exp penalties removed/reduced/whatever. The thought being that this would allow me to reach the point in each of the respective classes where I feel that they begin to really open up and become fun to play. Typically this is >= 15-20 depending on the class.

The mundane gameplay pre-15-20 is what I'm trying to avoid, personally.

How about bonus EXP until level 20 for everyone on blue? I kinda like this better then hybrid exp removal.

Grozmok
03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
That would be nice, I would totally take that.

Anything is better than killing snakes. That just isn't compelling gameplay if you ask me.

Flunklesnarkin
03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
or they could just ungimp the gnoll fang or other low level quests.