PDA

View Full Version : rogue vs wizard or re-roll

tingling
02-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I started playing a few months ago and stopped i leveled both a rogue and a wizard to 20 work got busy and i stopped playing...

I am back now and i would like to play a class that will actually be able to find a group because it can be kinda fun in a sick way and if i wanted to play a game where i would solo all the time i would just play wow...

Keeping in mind i want to group should i stick with the rogue or wizard or should i think of re-rolling as a chanter(played on live)/healer(never played). I am not really sure what the needs of the server are but the other thread i saw inspired me to ask the question...

IronLikeALionInZion
02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
both are good for groups but wizards have an available option to solo via quadding.

Motec
02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Rogues dont need to be VP keyed with a robe of invocation to be group viable.

tingling
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Rogues dont need to be VP keyed with a robe of invocation to be group viable.

see this is the kind of stuff i wouldn't know since i started playing just before pop was released on the live servers!

fischsemmel
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I think you'll definitely have better luck finding groups as a rogue, though you do lack any solo potential whatsoever if you ever decide you want to spend some time soloing. Remember that finding a group is not always going to take you only 5-10 minutes, even at primetime.

If you don't want to play the rogue, I'd suggest cleric. They're basically essential for every group, rez is great, and they actually pack quite a solo punch so long as you stick to undead (again, incase you want to do that ever).

Wizards are VERY highly desired in raids, but that's not something you're going to be doing until you've spent the vast majority of 50 levels out there solo quadding somewhere. It's a great class to level while you're studying or doing housework or something.

tingling
02-15-2012, 09:37 AM
thanks for the input, I went ahead a rolled a cleric i am going to get a feel for it and see how i like it and then decide between that or the rogue.

I am not in a sure hurry to level i will hit 60 eventually the cleric has a bit of and edge since from what i have read he can solo undead mobs while i wait LFG while the rogue has to sit idle.

fischsemmel
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I think it takes a long while to get a "feel" for a cleric in groups.

Until 24 I felt like I was just constantly up and down firing off little heals on tanks who were getting doubled for nearly as much as my heals hit for. Once you hit 34 though, you get superior heal (which druids and shamans don't get until after 50) and you stay way ahead of dru/sha in the healing game forever. CH at 39 is a gamechanger, but doesn't really shine until you're healing tanks who are up over 2000 hp with your buffs (which also don't really get too nice until 44+, imo). Then at 51+ you keep getting upgrades compared to the other healers, with faster and more efficient heals than superior heal.

As far as soloing undead, you'll do very well at it for most levels. There will be points where your best undead nuke just isn't packing enough punch to deal with stuff that you want to kill... 39-44 is the worst. But if you're just doing it while you wait to find a group and not really to solo for xp, you'll be just fine.

I had a lot of fun with my cleric. My only two complaints about him were not directly about clerics:

1. Too many groups like to pullpullpull until you're at 5% mana... then only let you get back up to 20% before they pull again. And then when you get an add or bad luck or whatever, you don't have the mana to keep everyone up. People just can't get it through their thick skulls that the xp is just as fast if the group lets you hover at 70% mana or 10% mana, except that if you hover at 70% you have mana to spare for oh shit moments.

2. Group xp is pretty lackluster. I solod most of 19-39 in unrest with my cleric and found that I was earning much faster xp solo in there than I did in all but the very best groups. Plus I never had to worry about travelling to groups, spending any time at all /lfg, etc., while solo. I'm thinking that this was partly because most people just don't put 100% effort into groups, but also because I was usually grouped with people 5 levels higher than my cleric... and that really eats up your xp.

eqravenprince
02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Sounds like you like damage, Monk would be my vote. You can solo while looking for a group. And in my opinion, better than a Wizard in almost every way.

tingling
02-15-2012, 10:09 AM
can you let me know how and what you soloed in unrest please?

fischsemmel
02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
can you let me know how and what you soloed in unrest please?

I basically just followed some guides I found on these forums. I think I googled something like "p1999 cleric solo" and found a thread all about cleric solo. Bubbles was the biggest contributor.

Early on I just pulled singles in the back yard then on the first floor. Root + nuke. Buffs are worth keeping up since root breaks pretty frequently and you don't have a lot of room to work with indoors. Keep magic endure magic up to help avoid ghoul root. Keep divine aura (and later the other one too) up all the time to use if you get rooted in melee range or need to train out of the zone.

Once 24 I moved to the second floor and killed stuff on there (4-8 mobs per spawn cycle depending on how resists went). Carrion ghouls and assorted skeletons mostly. Watch out for the skeleton monks, they do a lot of damage plus their fast attacks interrupt a lot of spells, even quick roots.

At 30 or so (maybe later?) I think I moved downstairs. I tried to avoid killing hags still if I could avoid it because they resisted quite a few stuns/roots and I didn't resist much of any of their stuff. Werebats spawn down there frequently but aren't bad to nuke down with normal nukes, just kill every undead you can before you move on to dealing with them. Only one mob (a skeleton monk, always) wanders down there. Don't mess with the TT or anything farther down past him, just stay in that first room + the one spawn in the hallway on the way down (assuming it doesn't pop as a hag).

At 34 you can start killing hags (including taking the tower) more easily, but until 36 I still got enough stun/root resists that they chased me out of the zone pretty regularly. Plus I was an ugly halfling so I got a lot of critical resists on lull in the tower. The middle spawn in the tower can be a SK with drops, just eat HT with DA/DB. Sides are fast spawns and always hags. Nuke/stun/root the hags down.

I think I dinged 40 killing hags. They start going down very quickly, but it was a fine line being able to actually hold down all 3 spawns in the tower unless I had breeze or something to help out.

One thing I noticed about the hags is that if they had been spawned for a while, they often seemed to be OOM when I would pull them. I'm not sure if they went oom spamming their little wizard damage shield buff on everything around or what. But they are much easier to kill once they've been alive for 10+ minutes because of this.

Like I said about 39-44 though, soloing got pretty annoying compared to the last 20 levels, because the lvl 34 undead nuke just doesn't do a good job of killing stuff like spectres (lots more hp than the lvl 29 casters you were killing in unrest, plus specs seem to have high MR until 44+). If you were dedicated to soloing I'm sure you could find some lvl 31-34 undead that could get you up to 44. Then once you have your 44 nukes (you get new undead and regular one) you can blow up spectres easily for a couple levels before they're going light blue. There's a few skeles that spawn near the port-in spots in DL you can do after that. Lots of people talk about doing lguk greater icebones or a camp here or there, but I never messed with that because I couldn't be bothered to get charisma gear so that lull worked reliably. With 50-whatever charisma a halfling starts with, like 1/2 of resists are critical resists... and lull seems to resist a lot.

fischsemmel
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I went ahead a rolled a cleric

What race did you go?

I can't understate how awesome hide and sneak were on my halfling cleric. Hide works on almost everything, including undead. Then sneak is amazing for stuff like getting into/out of a zone like KC without aggroing those dogs, doing quests with people who hate you, etc.

tingling
02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
What race did you go?

I can't understate how awesome hide and sneak were on my halfling cleric. Hide works on almost everything, including undead. Then sneak is amazing for stuff like getting into/out of a zone like KC without aggroing those dogs, doing quests with people who hate you, etc.

thanks for your help! once again its very much appreciated...

i went dwarf but i am not totally set on it lol i am only lvl 3..

acid_reflux
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Halflings are badasses. I went dwarf myself(cleric)due to the strength and stamina. It's hard to argue against halfling on many classes. They make the best rogue/ranger in my opinion.

tingling
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I didn't know that sneak and hide were that awsome on non rogue classes... i may re-roll just so i can make use of it...

I am really looking forward to logging on tonight now... EQ is my fav MMO of all time i just wish i could talk some of my friends into rolling with me!

fischsemmel
02-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I didn't know that sneak and hide were that awsome on non rogue classes... i may re-roll just so i can make use of it...

I am really looking forward to logging on tonight now... EQ is my fav MMO of all time i just wish i could talk some of my friends into rolling with me!

Whichever race you will have the most fun with is the best one for you.

That said, yes, sneak and hide are so awesome for non-rogues.

Hide gives safe afk med breaks, a pretty decent chance (hide seems to work like 1/3 of the time per attempt for halflings/dark elves) to dodge an incoming wanderer/train, etc. And sneak lets you vendor/quest/bank with NPCs who would normally not deal with out, sometimes helps you navigate parts of a dungeon where you would aggro something without it, etc.

The only drawbacks are that they are set at 50 skill (I think it's 50), so you do fail a fair amount of the time, and you cannot use hide and sneak at the same time (only rogues can do that).

Lulz Sect
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/gandalf-glasses-2011-05-13-600.jpg