PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a monk..

shams
02-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Just wondering if the iksar regen is a huge deal or just a nice little perk? Played a human monk to around 30 on live before I quit and I think I'd like to make one as my first alt :)

quenyar
02-16-2012, 09:41 AM
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Monk (See Regeneration Rates)

maverixdamighty
02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
it's a huge perk but comes with an exp penalty as well.

shams
02-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Hmm so basically twice the regen rate of a human.. This is tough. I see that a human monk will gain exp faster than an iksar, but could anyone enlighten me about this part from the link above? (referring to the slightly less damage part)

"Iksars get an in-built AC boost which stacks with the natural Monk AC boost. They also get faster health regeneration, infravision and the ability to forage (although this ability is capped). They also start with 100 skill in swimming. Because of all these bonus abilities they do slightly less damage than Humans at their full power."

fischsemmel
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Iksars bare fists end up with a slightly worse damage:delay ratio than human fists.

Check it out on the wiki monk page: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Monk

shams
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Cool thanks for all the info guys :)

Bruman
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Cool thanks for all the info guys :)

The fist thing is pretty much pointless, especially on this server. Noone will be using their bare fists. Much, much better weapons are available extremely cheaply, even from early levels.

The regen however, would be great.

But honestly - I'd just make the choice based on if you want to play an evil race or not.

jballe3
02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
exactly what bruman said, and what good will the whole xp penalty / bonus thing be when you hit 60 anyways? play whatchya like :)

Phased
02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Iksars definitely make better monks and I don't know of many people that were happy about the bonuses in comparison to humans when the differences were made clear. But with that said, they look horrible so play whichever you like!

fischsemmel
02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd just make the choice based on if you want to play an evil race or not.

More like "a race that is hated everywhere except Cabilis or not."

Have they finished the faction rework that was doing to make Iksars more hated (i.e. as hated as they should have been in the first place)?

Schortt
02-16-2012, 12:06 PM
AC bonus: I don't know exactly what it is on P1999 as you level, but I could probably figure out what it is at level 60. I'll try to put that info on the wiki when I do. Best guess is it's something around 40 displayed AC at 60, though you should keep in mind that displayed AC isn't always correct and also that there really hasn't been any convincing data collected (and shared) about the effectiveness of various kinds of AC on p99. On live it was a straight up avoidance AC bonus, but who knows on here. (this post (http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8781) suggests it should be 42 displayed AC at 60, I'll confirm later)

Faction: I'm not sure if it's totally finished, but I went from being dubious in places like Neriak to pretty much totally KOS everywhere but Cabilis and a few places where I've done a ton of faction work.

That said, monk is one of the least inhibited classes when it comes to faction due to having FD and sneak. I can bank and vendor pretty much everywhere without issue, though it's definitely a challenge at lower levels before FD is reliable and when guards haven't gone green.

Bottom line - if you're min/maxing and planning for the high end game, Iksars are objectively better monks, but not enough so that human monks are crippled or unable to do things that Iksar monks can.