PDA

View Full Version : New to server, advice on warrior

ukaking
04-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Hello P1999!
Im still a newbie to the server but not to EQ itself. I have rolled a barb Warrior and my wife is playing a barb shammy. Though I am an EQ vet, I spent 95% of my time on Kunark. Is there any advice for a lvl 8 non-twinked warrior and shammy for gear and XP? We are currently hanging out in Blackburrow.

Omnimorph
04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
In terms of gear, probably just keep exping till at least 16, then i personally like to go to uguk. Fight there till probably 22-24, then move to sola. Got some chance of bronze armour dropping there. can go between there and HHK for your mid 20s to 30.

Weapon of choice for warrior seems to be obsidian shards until you get yaks. Can't remember how much they usually cost.

If you find yourselves near FP i'll make you guys some jewellery.

ukaking
04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Ok, we are pretty much broke, pp wise and as far as mainland content goes, Im still kinda a newbie myself. We will just keep grinding away and see where it takes us. Any other advice would be welcome!

mgellan
04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I (Barb tank) did BB to 10 then headed over to North Karanas and found a kind Druid to give me a lift to West Commonlands, did EC Orcs to 14, then Oasis for crocs to 16 and now I'll head to Orc Highway to 20, then probably to Unrest. Try to farm Low/Med/High Quality Bearskins while you're in Everfrost, I made 200pp (and bought my bronze armor and decent weps) selling my stock of skins in North Freeport (Although I think that was very generous, wish I took note of the name to thank him for kick starting my toon! Plus the fellow that sold me a bronze armor piece then handed me a PGT, thanks thanks thanks! I really get the old community feeling sitting in NFP at the bank let me tell you, very generous bunch!)

Some of the popular zones on live back in the day are quite barren on P1999, probably due to server population. Orcs at Highpass are BYOG, although when I was there there were two groups on the spawn eventually. However the next day I logged on and the zone was empty, which was good because the Named Orc (Shralok) was standing at the zoneline waiting for me to kill him and loot the Shiny Brass Halberd 16/48 and an astounding 15 stone, but my first decent 2HS LOL :)

Check out my hunting guide (link below) for more ideas, and don't forget to come back and update it with your experiences. And look me up for a free decent bow and arrows, sitting in NFP skilling up on fletching and bowyering atm :)

Regards,
Mg

Skaff
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the server!

About a week ago I started on the server as a warrior and started out with nothing but my starting tunic and gimp sword. Hopefully some of my experiences can help you out.

I started off as a dwarf warrior for a few reasons. Not ever requiring a shrink, decent warrior stats and the dwarf jumping roll! The decision to go dwarf has had its obvious advantages and also benefited from the abundance of small armor. I personally bought some early pieces but realized that I could have waited and acquired them all myself after a little more time.

I spent most of my time initially getting into Crushbone and then moving to Unrest around level 12. Groups are pretty easy to acquire in these zones but you do have to realize that they will be packed during prime time hours and there will be trains. I eventually moved to HHK goblins and did pretty well there. I've also seen a lot of stuff in ooc for groups in the commons, oasis and other areas. The server is pretty populated at the lower levels and finding a group should not be to harsh.

In terms of choosing the Warrior as a class, be prepared to have some struggles. You will still get groups for a tank position but you will have a much harder time with threat compared to a pally or sk. If I were you, I would do your best to tank in areas where you are higher than the npc level. You basically have your melee and slam/kick to hold threat and don't have special abilities like blind or disease cloud! :) Taunt does work very well in putting you at the top of the hate list on mobs that are blue and below, but you will not really ever have it work (or if it can work) on anything above you.

In terms of advice for gear for an un-twinked warrior, here are some general tips...

-Work on that full set of bronze. Generally large bronze is a bit harder to come by and this might be a harder task. You have three very popular tanking classes which use large races and that helps make the large bronze a bit more rare. I have grouped with other tanks that have been trolls/ogres/barbs that were un-twinked as well and rarely see them in a full set of bronze. An additional route is to get some banded armor crafted. Both paths generally seem to be about 1 plat per AC.

-Weapons are going to be a struggle. I used rusty weapons till I acquired some bronze weapon in crushbone. I eventually was gifted some cold iron morning star by a higher level that ran though the zone. That helped out a bit thankfully. However you will need to acquire some forms of weapon eventually. Just watch the auction/ooc channels and see if anything pops up. For lower end weapons you can look to expect from 10-25 plat to get ya going. However you will need to work towards a pretty specific weapon line for your threat generation. I will list those below with some additional comments.

Gnoll Hide Lariat:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2665
I am 36 and I use a pair of these now. The damage/delay ratio is not great but they are fast weapons. Eventually they really come into there own when you are level 25 and the stun proc will finally work. The proc itself is pretty amazing for threat and generally helps out healers a ton. The proc rate is pretty random and some fights you wont proc at all and others you will chain stun a mob. I do not see them on auction often but I would expect to pay around 25-50pp each. You might consider doing a "/who all paw" or possibly check those in south karana that might be acquiring them in there hunting.

Obsidian Shard:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=676
I am actually looking for one of these weapons now. I have seen many warriors use them and have heard good reviews. After getting one I might determine if I want to use one or two at a time. It does proc well before the lariat I mentioned above (I think at level 16) so that might help out early on. Like the lariats, you might have a hard time finding these on auction. I have been watching the past few days and have little luck. I am pretty sure you can expect to pay between 200-400pp depending on who you are buying from.

Other weapons of worth for a low level warrior that might work out as well...

Polished Granite Tomahawk: (no more than 100pp really)
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=239

Silvery War Axe: (not sure on cost)
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=251

Enameled Black Mace: (not sure on cost)
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=95

List can go on... but hopefully this gives you something to start on. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to shoot a tell to Skaff in game.

Dantes
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
That's good advice. I totally forgot about the Polished Granite Tomahawk and the gnoll hide lariat. That's actually a pretty good primary/offhand combo when they both proc. For proc at low level, a tentacle whip might be a good choice instead of the lariat before lvl 25.

ukaking
04-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Much appreciated guys! Very much appreciated!

President
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I got my PGT fairly early... I think around 15ish? while doing Highpass Gnolls... It was really a great weapon until my late 20's when I went with obsidian shards for the aggro reasons. PGT was decent for aggro when it proc'd, and GREAT for healing, but its overall dps was kinda low once I got to 30ish.

Audacious93c
04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Skaff pretty much sums it up. However, the stun from the gnoll hide lariats generates more threat than the nuke from the shards. However, shards are substantially more dps than a GHL. GHL's are anywhere from free to 25pp. Shards are anywhere from 150 to 300pp. May have went up a lil' bit due to the new influx of players, but shouldnt be much higher than that.

Basically, if you're with your shaman buddy and just duo'ing. Use the shards if you got em. If you are in a full blown group, use the GHL's.

Nen
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the server. It's a really fun time. :)

Skaff
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Skaff pretty much sums it up. However, the stun from the gnoll hide lariats generates more threat than the nuke from the shards. However, shards are substantially more dps than a GHL. GHL's are anywhere from free to 25pp. Shards are anywhere from 150 to 300pp. May have went up a lil' bit due to the new influx of players, but shouldnt be much higher than that.

Basically, if you're with your shaman buddy and just duo'ing. Use the shards if you got em. If you are in a full blown group, use the GHL's.

Yeah.. I did finally acquire my first shard from a friend who had snagged two a few nights ago and gave me a good price (thank you very much!). The proc does generate less threat but the raw dps is a nice upgrade. I do want to piggy back off what Audacious mentioned and just propose that you eventually get a pair of GHL and obs shards for random situations you might want to use them for. I think early on (well above 25) you will find random situations where you want to throw in two stun proc weapons when a group might be low on stuns and you encounter a lot of shaman/cleric npcs. If you ever enter Cazic Thule... you will know what I mean!