PDA

View Full Version : Red server exp bonus

Ssleeve
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Exp scaling is put in, 100% at level 1 reduced to 0% by 50.

Come join us, the low level grind shouldn't be too rough anymore.

We're having a lot of fun, why not try it out?

Zuranthium
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm going to play a bit while it is Original EQ only. I'll stop when they release Kunark for the server, though.

Swish
02-21-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm no fan of red, but I hope this is a good incentive to help it grow :)

stormlord
02-21-2012, 01:25 AM
It's a long time coming. Any person who went to school and knows basic math can see that adding pvp to the scheme means that there's increased risk (from getting killed by players). So in order to balance the risk vs reward, one must increase the reward. In this case, you increase the exp gain to balance the equation.

Just look at the blue server and the red server as two different zones. In one zone, you just battle the npcs. In the other, you battle both players and the npcs. Naturally, the risk is higher on the latter. So, logically, most players would expect some sort of extra reward. Otherwise, it's like beating your head against the wall.

I think they along with many other people in history vastly underrate the pains of pvp. It changes everything. People on the red server are much more anon than on the blue server. So this means finding a group is harder because people are too afraid of each other. And there're twinks running around that you cannot win against. And players, by their nature, are non-linear. They're harder to predict. It's not like adding additional NPCs.

This is the reason PVP is so unpopular. The question is how much reward is enough? People will compare their PVE experiences with their PVP experiences, across games and servers. If the PVP game is endless grief and heartache, compared to their PVE experiences elsewhere, then they must arrive at the conclusion that it's not worth it. So when you make a PVP-based MMORPG, you must keep in mind everything that's out there before leaping into the fray. PVP-based MMORPGS -should- have faster progression most of the time. Either that or they got to offer features and gameplay that make the game stand out in a special and memorable way.

deneauth
02-21-2012, 01:37 AM
I stated a ranger on red, he is lvl ?? might have to hop back on him and check it out. How are rangers pvp? I would think the snare and dps would probably work better in group pvp vs solo pvp.

Edit : fixt

Flunklesnarkin
02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
tip #1 for red

/anon .. always

Ssleeve
02-21-2012, 01:48 AM
I stated a ranger on red, he is lvl 10 might have to hop back on him and check it out. How are rangers pvp? I would think the snare and dps would probably work better in group pvp vs solo pvp.

Hybrids are pretty good in pvp in general, Rangers do well in group pvp. They have SoW (always nice), some junk buffs to fill slots, and snares they can spam.

Also with the new scaling you wont really be hurting on exp till the later levels where you can utilize a lot of those hybrid abilities. :D

Also:

http://i43.tinypic.com/154vyn6.gif

webrunner5
02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't think there is still a level 50 Ranger yet on Red. Probably the worse class you can play. But with the XP bonus it will help

And yes you have to do 51% damage or more to get 100% XP. Less than 51% only 25% XP. In a group that goes away.

Asher
02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I thought a red99 forum was made to discuss this shit. Can't you all just go into your corner and let your server die?

Asher

Rutaq
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I thought a red99 forum was made to discuss this shit. Can't you all just go into your corner and let your server die?

Asher

<Hugs> Did the big bad PK scare ya ?
<Pat, pat> now run along to your Adventure's Day Care. o.O

Faywind
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Asher

It's because they are so desperate for more people. Even this xp increase won't save the server...

Don't waste your time on red, you'll regret it and come back to blue anyways. Unless of course you like to solo.

:p

Knuckle
02-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Asher

mad

sbvera13
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
So... I'm guessing this comes with a gentlemen's agreement not to pack-gank lowbies, camp their corpses, or isolate and ridicule them because they can't win a 6 vs 1 fight 5 times in a row? Does it come with established reds rolling lowbies to help guild and level the newcomers, to give them party's and group pvp? Anything to, you know, not make you want to stick a fork into your aorta and twist merrily?

EQ pvp was always horrible... most of us here remember it. It's why we're not playing on red. You're going to have to pull together as a server community if you seriously want people to come over. An exp bonus you can't get cause you're corpse camped won't help anyone. My .02

bakkily
02-21-2012, 03:51 PM
asher, nice to see someone else in arizona, but anyways, if some of you wish to play pvp as well, come join us and join brotherhood, ive been with em for a few weeks and all good peeps, but as in p99, plenty of douches out there and nice people as well

Bastir
02-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't think there is still a level 50 Ranger yet on Red. Probably the worse class you can play.

Funny that ranger is considered the worst. On Vallon Zek back in the day one of the baddest dudes you didn't want to run into was a ranger named Grayhm or something close to that. I remember watching that dude wreck multiple people and had some fun battles against and with him on my cleric.

Zuranthium
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
With the way the game is (static content that most people are very familiar with), RED is much more interesting than BLUE. If you're getting corpse camped too much then you're doing it wrong. Make friends with people to fight off the corpse campers and/or find places to hunt where people probably won't find you. The grind is lessened now with the exp bonus and you get rewarded for actually exploring and finding those "safe spots".

Granted, the classes that have a tough time soloing will have an even tougher time here, but if the server population comes up that can change. Players who have cunning and willpower should be playing on RED.