PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spell ice comet

cerealkilla420
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I will be hitting level 49 soon, and just curious if i can research ice comet with any normal runes of the astral and frost, or if it has to be the runes earned from turning in the staff of the wheel quest rewards? Thanks any help is appreciated.

Raavak
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
You can use the dropped runes now. It was changed at some point according to EQ timeline.

cerealkilla420
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks, just need to level research a bit more and ill have it.

Swish
02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
The animation on that spell on live, SO sick! Was it always that way or was it added in at some point?

Matalus
02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I recall when I did it long ago there was are auctally two different runes of frost that dropped, one would not let you combine it, while the other worked fine. Both dropped off regular mobs, not sure if they fixxed this or if it was intentional or not tho

Jimes
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
The animation on that spell on live, SO sick! Was it always that way or was it added in at some point?

I want to say they added that in Luclin. I remember seeing it in a group in Umbral Plains for the first time when a freakin ice comet comes flying over my head and slams into the mob.

doacleric
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM

It was added significantly later.

Swish
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
bugger :(

Still, the pure damage on it is amazing...shame wizards aren't better liked, it would be my choice for 60 if it wasn't so hard to group.

Raavak
02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Ice Comet has a 2.8 dmg per mana ratio. Its the best DD before Kunark.

In Kunark you get the Draughts which are upgrades to it.

Then at 60 you get Sunstrike; 1615 dmg for 450 mana, 3.59 ratio.

Messianic
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
bugger :(

Still, the pure damage on it is amazing...shame wizards aren't better liked, it would be my choice for 60 if it wasn't so hard to group.

Eh...Even though I have a 55 wizard, i'd argue they're the single worst class for traditional grouping out there.

Lava Bolt, 49, Magician: 810 DD, 300 mana - 2.7 dmg/mana ratio - 7 sec casting time = ~5116 damage per minute chain nuking w/ 2.5 sec recovery

(+Magician pet DPS)

Ice Comet, 49, Wizard: 1120 DD, 400 mana - 2.8 dmg/mana ratio - 6.3 sec casting time = ~7636 damage per minute chain nuking w/ 2.5 sec recovery

This general trend continues as each approaches 60 - Wizards have marginally better nukes which are more suited to dumping mana on some big raid mob - but without some kind of consistent dps, they're a little more than a magician without a pet in groups.

TL;DR - Wizards are scalpels, Magicians are Machetes. Which would YOU rather chop down a tree with?

Faisca
02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
but without some kind of consistent dps, they're a little more than a magician without a pet in groups.

True, if you don’t care about stuns and roots. Of these, a magician can only add stuns or roots, depending on the pet he’s going to use, but he can only have one of these at a time and at the expense of pet dps. Not to mention, he won’t be able to directly control these powers, something that will turn more into a nuisance than a benefit for the group.

Wizards can also build groups and replace members in group quickly, by picking up people in separate continents that otherwise wouldn’t bother to take a boat to start a group or replace a group member. Sometimes, this is crucial to make a group or keep the group going.

And when things go horribly bad in battle, a wizard evacuates the group and saves everybody’s skin. A magician says “Mañana!” and gates out.

All of the above translate into extra exp contributions a wizard can give to a group that shouldn't be overlooked.