PDA

View Full Version : Monk refresher

Kalorm
04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
It's been about 8 years since i played my monk. Right now i'm planning on starting in Qeynos. Any advice for gear/advancement? Particular quests I should hit up?

AR3151
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
i have a lvl 7 shaman right now in that area, best i can say is when you get high enough hit up blackburrow as for gear, loot loot loot and sell. sometimes they drop cloth.

taamas
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Hunt many, many, many gnolls while you're in the Qeynos area. You can turn in their fangs to either Qeynos or Halas for money/xp. Turnins are pretty decent until 10ish, but thats when you should be moving out anyways. At 10, I left Qeynos and went to the Freeport area. More groups, faster xp. :)

snifs
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
send a tell to Snifs in game some time, i got a pair of wu's shoulders you can have if you need....if your near freeport

Pyrocat
04-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Stay under 14 weight, save up to by weight reducing bags and tailored Wu's armor. Collect bone chips to sell for about 5pp a stack. Don't bother with bat wings, there are merchants that sell them. Don't worry too much about weapons, your hands will be your best weapons by far when you get close to 50. They're nice to have at earlier levels.

#1 rule, don't be afraid to ask questions in ooc (serverwide) or /shout and let people know you're new to the server.

AR3151
04-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Hunt many, many, many gnolls while you're in the Qeynos area. You can turn in their fangs to either Qeynos or Halas for money/xp. Turnins are pretty decent until 10ish, but thats when you should be moving out anyways. At 10, I left Qeynos and went to the Freeport area. More groups, faster xp. :)

im doing the same when i hit lvl 10.

turn them into Halas you get more money

AR3151
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Stay under 14 weight, save up to by weight reducing bags and tailored Wu's armor. Collect bone chips to sell for about 5pp a stack. Don't bother with bat wings, there are merchants that sell them. Don't worry too much about weapons, your hands will be your best weapons by far when you get close to 50. They're nice to have at earlier levels.

#1 rule, don't be afraid to ask questions in ooc (serverwide) or /shout and let people know you're new to the server.

lol im an old prexus player also. nice

YendorLootmonkey
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
your hands will be your best weapons by far when you get close to 50. They're nice to have at earlier levels

In general, one's hands are nice to have at all levels. :)

Kalorm
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Great! Thanks for the tips folks.

Skaff
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
You might want to try and acquire a pair of magic gloves as soon as you can. A few very cheap options might be mesh or netted gloves. If I remember correctly, there is a pair of frogloks that spawn in the sewers of qeynos near the lumpy goo camp. I remember I camped those back in 99' so I would eventually be able to kill will-o-wisp in eruds crossing! :)

Kalorm
04-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh geez.. i had totally forgotten about needing magic gloves.

Tudana
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
for magic gloves / feet shop at all druid ring NPCs, venders - I found split paw gloves that way for 3p, mesh gloves as well. I have yet to find a pair of magic boots.

Magic gloves and boots are for you to be able to hit mobs that require a magic weapon..your hands and feet are your weapons.

km2783
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
On my ranger I had a full suit of cloth by lvl 4-5 just killing gnoll pups and decaying skeletons. Gnolls in Blackburrow drop LARGE cloth which you can't wear as a human, but a large cloth shirt sells for a healthy 4g+. Killing the pups and skellies also get you a bunch of lowbie weapons that sell for good money. You'll have enough money for magic gloves and boots in no time.

Only mobs I know of you'd possibly face before 20 that need magic gloves/boots would be wisps and ghouls. i could be forgetting something.

Kalorm
04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I remember there being wisps by the zone to qeynos in qhills. Right now i'm the scourge of decaying skeles and gnoll pups. I wish that the old skeleton model was still being used though. I liked that guy.

Olorin
04-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Couple things here --

At low levels the weight restrictions aren't huge, it ends up being a minor ac penalty -- watch your ac as you go over weight and you'll see

As far as fists for weapons, that is only true once you hit 30 -- until then a mod rod (summoned by a high level magician) or an enamelled black mace is the way to go

I have found this link to be invaluable in playing my monk ....

http://www.monkly-business.net/index.php?pageid=abilities

Finally, get to freeport as fast as you can, thats where the majority of the player base is based .... You can get Mesh or Woven gear on brokers ridiculously cheap.

FatMagic
04-28-2010, 04:09 PM
If you want to get some good starting Monkly armor, bother the trolls, ogres and anyone else leveling out in Innothule & Guk. The frogs regularly drop Mesh armor (very very low weight) - which is great for a lowbie monk. As I started my Troll Shaman out in Innothule, I collected all the mesh I could get - and bought the rest on Vendors over time. Then gave it to my monk (put it in a bag, dropped in the ground in a out-of-the-way area - monk collected it)!

Kalorm
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Haha! Oh man i also forgot about the dropping a bag on the ground trick.

Thanks for the links and tips.

FatMagic
04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Yah just too bad you can't transfer cash this way >.<
(for us non-guilded friendless folk - like me)

Oh and I meant to say, the vendors in Grobb regularly have Mesh since most newbies just sell it to them.