PDA

View Full Version : A Few Newbie Questions? Re: Class, lvling, & items.

mefdinkins
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am glad to be part of the project1999 community and excited to play EQ again. I played EQ back in the day for a few years on and off since its launch and retired permanently during the Velious expansion.

I had a 57 druid with manastone, guise of the deciever, and I fondly remember how excited I was when I got my golden efreeti boots, fungi tunic and some other random items (I loved those arm bands that casted the auto-dot). I also had a 40 something monk, who I created very late in the game and twinked pretty hard (used my fungi tunic, some haste gear and nice weapons I can't exactly recall). I also had a low level bard and wizard I enjoyed playing but never got around to leveling.
TLDR: Played Druid to 57, enjoyed Monk/Bard/Wizard.

That is my history... so here are my questions:

Question 1: What class should I play?
Notes: I loved my druid, but wouldn't mind giving bard a try? Is the server over populated with any class, do guilds/raids/groups need druids, etc? I usually solo'ed - so can Wiz/Druid/Bard solo to 50 or 60? I don't necessarily want to switch to a new class but I'm balancing that with not necessarily wanting to replay 57 levels of druid.

Question 2: What kind of time commitment is it to get to lvl 50 or 60?
Notes: Any estimate on time /played to level 50/60? This is related to the class question, do different classes take different amounts of time to level?

Question 3: Are the items guise of deceiver, manastone in game? From what I remember guise you could no longer get and manastone was taken out / rendered useless by expansions.

These are just some random questions, I have encountered after being a day old. Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Mefdinkins

Schortt
02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Q1: Whatever you enjoy playing is what you should play. Wizards and bards are far more desirable than druids to raid guilds. Bards are much more difficult to solo with but a skilled bard can level quickly enough to more than offset their large XP penalty.

Q2: It will take you 3-5 days (that is, 3-5 X 24 hours) minimum to get to 50 untwinked assuming you know exactly where you want to go to level, get decent groups or solid solo spots, and don't die very often. To 60, it's probably at least 10-15 more days, especially now that there's not much of an AE group scene.

Q3: Guise, manastone, box of abu-kar, rubicite, and a few other items are no longer dropping. The tradable ones (manastone, etc.) are still purchasable from other players but tend to be fairly pricey.

tingling
02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
1. anything you think you would enjoy i think any of the 3 classes you mentioned would be great...

2. Expect to spend some time i have a assling rogue at lvl 20 with almost 2 days of played time on him(not being able to solo sucks) so expect to spend a lot of time if you are not playign a class that can solo. My wizard which is the same level but can solo has way less played time.

3.I have seen ppl selling mana stone but no one selling guise...

bards wizards and druids all can solo very well although the bard is probobly the best with AE kiting being as good as it is...

hope that helps..

mefdinkins
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks Schortt and Tingling, your answers def. help.

Wizard/Bard/Druid is such a tough choice. How hard is it to get Jboots? I might go wizard, can I solo without J-boots? Cause from what I remember I'd have to be at least 50 to camp/get those bad boys.

Thanks.

RahlaeRuffian
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Also depending on how much of the lore you want to take in will also factor in how long it will take you to get to level 50. 5 days seems rather fast to get to 50 to me, just because when I started I wanted to camp some mobs and explore zones I hadn't been in for a long time. Also from what I've found post-30, it takes about 3-8 hours to get to the next level. This is coming from a warrior however, not sure how much faster you'd level with a wizard, bard or druid. It'll be a grind either way.