PDA

View Full Version : Figuring Out Weapon Damage

Deathrydar
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I was wondering is someone could help me out with this.

I max out all three of my one handed skills everytime I level but after that, I do not feel like carrying around all three types of weapons but I am kind of confused as to how to figure out which weapon would be the best so I can bank the other two.

Am I doing this right?

My 1 HS weapon is 4 dmg with 25 delay. I divide the dmg by the delay and get .16
My 1 HB weapon is 6 dmg with 30 delay and comes back with .2
My 1 HP weapon is 5 dmg with 23 delay and comes back with a .21

So am I correct in thinking that the 1 HP weapon is the best one to go with because it has the highest number after I divide?

Thanks in advance to all serious replies.

Droxx
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
That is correct.

Deathrydar
04-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Thank you!

eqholmes
04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
It has been forever since I was a melee and I don’t remember exactly the right cap (I know at 20 your damage cap is not well CAPPED anymore) But I do believe there is a +damage for your main hand, so having a fast weapon in your main was the way to go, I could be way off, but I believe it was your main did +1 or +2 while ur off hand was straight across. If someone actually knows the exactly formula I would like to know.

Holmes 50 Nerco DA
Gretzky 20 Ranger DA

flednat
04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Best ratio in main, highest dmg in off hand - Least thats the way i always did it on live as a bard

Taluvill
04-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Best ratio in main, highest dmg in off hand - Least thats the way i always did it on live as a bard

Thats how it should go

Dabamf
04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
In live we frequently used poorer ratio mains in favor of low delay.

Revultant whip, for example. When the main hand damage bonus is applied, since it is/was a flat number, it had a greater dps impact on lower delay weapons.

I thought they removed that bonus when they normalized weapon damages in luclin/pop area. The "damage bonus" number currently on weapons. I'm not sure if the formula here is the classic one or the newer one. I'm guessing newer, in which case yea, best ratio in main

guineapig
04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I read somewhere that this is the formula to use when rating the value of a weapon
(excluding haste and procs obviously).

(Dmg*2)+1 / (Dly/10)

Blackened Alloy Bastard Sword (weight 2.5)
(24*2)+1 / (39/10) = 49 / 3.9 = 12.56

Enchanted Fine Steel Bastard Sword (weight 8.5 - Str +7 net weight 1.5)
(note the same damage/delay ratio as a Dark Reaver)
(20*2)+1 / (42/10) = 41/4.2 = 9.76

Jade Reaver (weight 12.0)
(23*2)+1 / (40/10) = 47 / 4 = 11.75

If I'm reading this correctly, BABS is a much better sword then even a Jade Reaver... is this true?

Here's A few more comparisons with tougher to get swords (big quests or raid only)

Ghoulbane
(15*2)+1 / (34/10) = 31 / 3.4 = 9.11

Efreeti Zweihander
(24*2)+1 / (45/10) = 49 / 4.5 = 10.88

Ashenbone Axe
(24*2)+1 / (42/10) = 49 / 4.2 = 11.66

Razing Sword of Skarlon
(25*2)+1 / (40/10) = 51 / 4 = 12.75

I know that some of these weapons aren't in the game yet.
When I started writing this up I was under the impression that the Blackened Alloy Bastard Sword was already in (it isn't :( ) so I was attempting to see just how good it was compared to other present and future 2-handers.

Point being, I'm not 100% certain what that calculation does but it seems like a pretty good indicator of general value based on damage.

guineapig
04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Oh also I hear 2-handers get a big bonus if their delay is 40 or above. Is this true and does anyone know the calculation for it?

BlackBellamy
04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
The Damage Bonus calculations are here http://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html

However, not sure if this applies to our "classic" server.

According to the chart on that page, 1-handed weapons have a damage bonus based strictly on your level.

For 2-handers, the bonus is based on player level AND delay.

Gadrel Amon
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Until weapon damage was normalized in I think Planes of Power, dual wield worked as follows:

Main Hand received a flat damage bonus dependent on level. At levels 50-60 this bonus was significant enough that a low damage/low delay main hander would significantly outperform a higher damage / higher delay weapon.

The off-hand received no bonus.

For a duel wielding character, according to the rules of Classic, the best choice is the lowest possible delay weapon in the main-hand and the best ratio in the off-hand.

guineapig
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
For a duel wielding character, according to the rules of Classic, the best choice is the lowest possible delay weapon in the main-hand and the best ratio in the off-hand.

Much obliged. I've been trying to remember this magic rule for a while now.

Bumamgar
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, Fastest in main hand, best ratio in off hand...

Here's a thread from 2003 discussing it.. (pretty sure nothing changed between launch and 2003 in this regard)

http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119

PearlJammzz
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Any devs able to chime in on how it works here?

Also does this apply to rogues as well w/ BS? I was under the impression of high damage in main hand, best ratio in off hand?

Bumamgar
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Backstab goes off of your main hand damage, so for rogues, yes, you would prefer biggest damage weapon in main hand.

taamas
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
How would a "DMG Bonus" on a weapon be calculated into the ratio? For example if a 5 Damage / 30 Delay weapon had a 10 DMG Bonus. Totally hypothetical.

Would it be 15/30, resulting in a 0.5 ratio?

eqholmes
04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
How would a "DMG Bonus" on a weapon be calculated into the ratio? For example if a 5 Damage / 30 Delay weapon had a 10 DMG Bonus. Totally hypothetical.

Would it be 15/30, resulting in a 0.5 ratio?

From my understanding it change the ratio in essence, so a 10/20 in your main hand becomes a 11/20, so as you can see the less the delay the greater increase to ratio, also procing weapons that are fast are more dps since you will get more swings( assuming your using a proc that is a DD such as a YAK) I would really like to hear from a DEV though if possible on what calculations we are using on this server. Main hand get a +damage and if so can we get that number? Thank you DEVS!!!!!!!

Holmes 50 nerco DA
Gretzky 20 ranger DA

PearlJammzz
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
From my understanding it change the ratio in essence, so a 10/20 in your main hand becomes a 11/20, so as you can see the less the delay the greater increase to ratio, also procing weapons that are fast are more dps since you will get more swings( assuming your using a proc that is a DD such as a YAK) I would really like to hear from a DEV though if possible on what calculations we are using on this server. Main hand get a +damage and if so can we get that number? Thank you DEVS!!!!!!!

Holmes 50 nerco DA
Gretzky 20 ranger DA

I 2nd that. Would be nice to see what calculations we are using. I guess using a parsing program, and some time would prob. help do the same thing ya?

Bumamgar
04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
On live, the proc rate of a weapon has nothing to do with the number if swings.

Proc rate on live is a function of percent chance over time.

See this thread for more details: http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13613

This is why shakerpaging warriors would actually get slow debuffed prior to shakerpaging. If you get your swings per minute low enough, the proc chance ends up basically being 100% per swing. Then, when you rampage, even though you are getting 100's of swings all at once, the proc chance percentage calculation was done prior to that and you end up proccing on nearly every swing as well. This is just one reason why shakerpaging was often considered an exploit :)

Looking at the EQEmu source code (in general, not specifically for p99) the code supports both a proc-per-minute calculation (like live) as well as a flat per-swing proc-chance adjusted by DEX and item/spell/aa proc bonuses (which would apply to each swing, making faster weapons proc more). This is configurable for each EMU server independently, so p99 could use either method, or could have a completely custom Mob::GetProcChances() function implemented :)

That being said, since the goal of this server is to re-create live ~1999, it is extremely likely that the proc-rate calculation on this server is based on a 'procs-per-minute' calculation, and as such, it is most likley that low delay weapons do not proc more often than high-delay weapons, since that is how it works on live. A faster weapon does not correlate to increased chances to proc, even though you are swinging more often. Instead, all weapons with a proc will be based on an average procs per minute (I believe on live it's 2 procs a minute) adjusted by dex, aa and the weapons proc-rate modifier (if it has one... Very few weapons have a proc-rate modifier, with them only becoming relatively common in Luclin and beyond. However, one such weapon is 'DawnFire, Morning Star of Light' which drops in Fear)

Excision Rottun
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
^^^

Excellent post, accurate information.

guineapig
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Word, we just got taken to school!

Thanks Bumamgar!

Mmohunter
04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I was a warrior on live from 99-01, and if I remember correctly, I wanted high dex no haste and I would double proc quite often. (Ykesha's)

I never had aggro issues, but then again that was live in 99-01, not project1999 in 2010. So take what I said with a grain of salt.

Pyrocat
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I vote we move this thread to the library when it starts to get buried in server chat.

Mmohunter
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
There is/was an old weapons damage calculator someone designed, I have to find it. I downloaded it a few weeks ago then deleted it. I will edit this post when I find it again.

twizztid
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Thats how it should go

If your a rogue you want the dagger with the most damage on your main though.

Cheech
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Word, we just got taken to school!

Thanks Bumamgar!

Bum knows his stuff. Known him for many years.

Murferoo
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Not sure how accurate this is:

http://hem.passagen.se/grawn/EQDPMCalculator/

Pyrocat
05-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Bump tons of people still completely confused about this. Please move to library.