PDA

View Full Version : Question on Legality: Trading/Selling Accounts from Other Games

mefdinkins
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I have seen a lot of people selling or trading EQ accounts for plat. Is it legal to sell an account from a different game for plat?

I have a 50 assassin from SWTOR, I wish I found P1999 before spending so much time on that game and would like to, if legal, sell/trade the account and items for plat. I don't see how this would implicate the cash for plat ban, but would understand if it is not allowed.

TLDR: Is it illegal to trade other game items for items here?

Disclaimer - This is no way an advertisement to sell a character from SWTOR, nor should it be construed as one. This is a mere question about the legality of making such a sale.

Thank you,
Mefdinkins

Scavrefamn
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Wow, you actually added a "TLDR" to such a short post?

Anyway, I dislike the idea of people purchasing and selling accounts to inexperienced outsiders but there isn't much that will be done afaik.

Extunarian
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
You can only trade items and plat between Red99 and Blue99. No other games/servers.

bman8810
02-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I can acquire items/accounts on other games using $. If it is okay to trade for these then you have $ = P1999 items/plat/accounts.

Make sense?

Alkorin
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
TLDR: Is it illegal to trade other game items for items here?

Yes, it is illegal.

mefdinkins
02-29-2012, 12:21 PM
I can acquire items/accounts on other games using $. If it is okay to trade for these then you have $ = P1999 items/plat/accounts.

Make sense?

I understand that trading a SWTOR account would inherently have a U.S. dollar value of ~$60.00 (the cost of the game), plus a less quantifiable value based on the time invested into the character, the character's level, skills, items, and "credits" (currency of SWTOR). Making it illegal to trade an account makes sense under your logic. However, trading currency or items from other games, which cannot be acquired using real life money, for EQ platinum seems to me about the same as trading plat/items across blue-red.

If you were to say that there is a real life cost to acquire these items that can’t be ‘bought’ directly with cash, for instance that you pay indirectly via monthly subscription fees, and there isn’t such a 'cost' in P1999. I would counter there is a ‘cost’, that could be equated to a U.S. dollar amount, to play any game. Playing P1999 includes the overhead costs of owning and maintaining a computer, the cost of internet access, and the opportunity costs of choosing to play versus working.

Regardless, I am not looking to discuss the merits or justifications of the policy. I was merely looking for a clarification of the rule. I am proud to be a part of the P1999 community. I am thankful for the time and energy the P1999 staff devotes to the server and I fully intend to comply with all P1999 policies and regulations.

Extunarian
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
However, trading currency or items from other games, which cannot be acquired using real life money...

You can easily buy items in other MMO's using real money, and sell them for real money. Obviously people attempt to do that here but that too is against the rules and those who engage in it can be punished by server staff. The server staff don't need to also worry about 'laundering' via other games they have no control over.

If you were to say that there is a real life cost to acquire these items that can’t be ‘bought’ directly with cash, for instance that you pay indirectly via monthly subscription fees, and there isn’t such a 'cost' in P1999. I would counter there is a ‘cost’, that could be equated to a U.S. dollar amount, to play any game. Playing P1999 includes the overhead costs of owning and maintaining a computer, the cost of internet access, and the opportunity costs of choosing to play versus working.

This is first and foremost a bad argument, and secondly rendered moot due to the main issue that stuff from every other game can be turned into real money, and the server staff has no ability to police those games.

Hitchens
02-29-2012, 12:48 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/14wd1km.png