PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player With Questions

OneEyedJack
03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, Stinnky here. Some of you may remember me, some may not. Either way, I'm looking to make a P99 comeback. A few questions first...

I still have an active EQ account that I play fairly regularly. I vaguely remember not being able to have both P99's version and Live's version on the same PC. Something about the station launcher updating what it considers to be an outdated version... Anyway to bypass this? Perhaps running P99 through an external hardrive? Recently misplaced mine... I'd have to get a new one if that will work.

Saw that they nerfed pets. Playing a mage doesn't seem as appealing as it once was anyway. I'll probably be re rolling as a Paladin, SK, Druid, or Necro... Do the necros DoTs out DPS the pet? I realise P99 has enough druids, but I'm just looking for something fairly simple to play.

I'm also looking to acquire the classic UI. Or something close to it. I vaguely remember a post on a modified version of the stone-like UI with multiple chat windows. I can't seem to find it... can anyone shoot me a link to it?

Lastly, how active are the lower zones? If I'm to re-roll, I'll need people to group with.

Any useful info on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Swish
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Unrest is still busy, Mistmoore too (about the same as they were before Kunark) at peak server times. Highkeep always seems quiet, anyone ever really go in there anymore? LOIO?

fischsemmel
03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I played on live and p99 both for a while ~9-10 months ago. Never had any issue with it. I just had EQ in some d:\games\everquest folder and p99 in d:\games\p99 or something.

Do the necros DoTs out DPS the pet?

When I was playing a 50ish necro killing the giants in BW I had to use a spell or two more than I would have liked to. If you try to get the most out of the long-duration dots, you end up needing to recast darkness. If you try to use your pet without 1/3 killing stuff beforehand, you burn up a bunch of mana on ignite bones or lifetaps to try to stay ahead of your pet. If you fire off a bunch of dots you'll get xp, but the mob dies when the dots still have half their duration left and you just spent the entire fight standing and casting instead of sitting to med. Etc.

OneEyedJack
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I think I'll go the tank route then...

That's a shame about Highkeep. It was one of my favorite zones.

Now I'm just looking for an answer to my UI question.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Yanomamo
03-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Highkeep is usually pretty quiet, but that just means if you get a group together you can pull the whole basement. Loio is usually pretty hoppin. Of course the time of day is always important.

Excellio
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Now I'm just looking for an answer to my UI question.

I've found a few UIs that look pretty good. I don't believe you can use the classic UI, like with the little window in the middle and all the stuff around the sides and bottom of the screen. But you can get skins that make the windows look classic, with the stone textures and all that. I just googled it and found a few websites.

erog84
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I have spent alot of time in highkeep the past 3 weeks or so and during peak hours goblins are almost always camped, and a lot of the guards. Usually can find a group fairly fast there since not too many people on the wait list, so shouldn't be an issue(especially if you are a tank or heals). I came back a few months again, and in the last few months I have started up 5 alts. I have not had an issue at all finding groups in the lowbie zones(except on my ranger, but that is to be expected). Of course if you play in the down times of server pop you wil have more issue finding groups, but it seems there is A LOT of people playing level 1 to 30.

Sadly it also seems like there is a lot of people powerlvling, which I have noticed lately you get a lot of powerlvlers ruining the zone for everyone else. I say play what you want, but if you have a few classes that are hard to choose between, tank is DEFINITELY the best way to go.

I leveled up a Necro to 31 since I came back also, and like previously mentioned, either I am burning more mana than necessary to make sure I out damage my pet, or sometimes I won't even stick pet on till mob is at 80% and then when the mob starts running, I let the dots finish it off (sad I know). I've heard it gets easier at higher levels, but still seems like a waste. I have taken up grouping or duo'ing a lot more than I anticipated to get over this issue. Hope this helps and welcome back! Hit me up if you need any help or want to group up (I have characters of almost all levels!)

OneEyedJack
03-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Really appreciate the responses guys! I think I'll go the pally route. If I remember right, I started one before I left. Might even have some gear on him. Almost went the cleric route, because who doesn't want a cleric in group right? Then I realized ... I hate being the healer. Hah.

I'll try and google some UI's, thanks Excellio!