PDA

View Full Version : What class should I play?

Anesthia
03-02-2012, 01:55 AM
I've rolled up numerous alts and have found 3 classes I like and would want to play. I have a couple hours per day and kids so I need to narrow it down to one class.

- I like tanking
- I like healing
- I don't like DPSing
- I like being active
- I want to be able to solo
- I want to be useful and desired in groups
- I would like to be unique
- I need to be able to randomly step away from the keyboard to take care of kids

I like them all but can't decide! Thanks for your feedback.

Zuranthium
03-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Paladin would probably be best for you.

Bwils
03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Paladins are the least played class on this server. Paladin would be a good choice because you will be unique. Paladins fit everything on that list besides if you wanna solo efficiently you will need good/decent gear. It is always hard to figure out what class to play in everquest, because there is no perfect class. That is what makes this game awesome =).

Galaa
03-02-2012, 04:35 AM
If you need to randomly step away from your keyboard to take care of kids, I would suggest a monk.

Holey
03-02-2012, 04:38 AM
darkelf enchanter. (hide ftw)

username1337
03-02-2012, 04:42 AM
You don't always know if hide works unless you're a rogue. Monk FD guarantees you can always go afk safely at a whim.

SK might be the best fit for you. You can FD, solo alright, heal yourself with taps, be very useful in groups as tank, low dps, etc.

webrunner5
03-02-2012, 05:19 AM
All three classes you state are all good to play. But each one in a group is a class you really can't just go AFK a lot.

The Monk will be a puller, Enchanter CC, and Pally Tank. So what happens when you go AFK, the whole group stops?

Maybe you need to be a Wizzy or Necro. I understand the problems with having children. Never know what will happen in the next second. Tough choise.

Yanomamo
03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
If you don't like DPSing i'm not sure why one of the options is monk. The monk, however is the absolute best for sudden afks.

Hide is a solid second. To see if it works either target a normally KOS mob and see if it cons indifferent or you can /tar yourself. If it doesn't target you, you have hidden successfully.

The paladin could be nice as it can tank, heal and be unique.

eqravenprince
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
There is only one choice that is for all the things you want and that is Monk. Going to be kind of hard to step away at a moments notice from the computer with a Paladin or Enchanter.

webrunner5
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
The best class for a Paladin is a Dwarf by far. And they don't get hide or sneak.

A Shaman sounds like what you really need to be, but no way to go AFK safely. But they sure are not unique.

eqravenprince
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
In my opinion, being able to step away from the computer at a moments notice to take care of the kids is the most important thing, everything is minor. You need to play a class than can Feign Death or Hide (although not as effective because some mobs see past this). So that would be Monk, SK, Necro, Rogue, Bard, and certain races can Hide Halfling, Dark Elf.

Phased
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Honestly, none of those classes fit your description of what you want.

Paladin tanks, heals(kinda), is unique and gets groups but you can't afk.

The monk afk's well but there's a million of them and can't solo unless twinked.

Enchanter solos well but no tanking for you and no afk's mid fight, with invis your best bet elsewhere.

It sounds like you need to make a shadow knight.

eqravenprince
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
The monk afk's well but there's a million of them and can't solo unless twinked.

Monks solo just fine untwinked. I've soloed 99% of the time from level 1 untwinked. Level 37 now. There probably are a lot of monks because they are a great class.

Grozmok
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I say play what the server needs, but that's just me.

I voted enchanter, since everyone always wants crack/haste.

tristantio
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd agree with sticking to something that can FD or hide.

I'm not sure how clerics hold up when being beaten, you could go with halfling cleric and have hide to afk between fights - grouping is a different story.

The way I see it, best classes to disappear at a moment's notice solo:

FD classes - Monk/Necro/Shadow Knight
Hide races - Halfling or Dark Elf (druid/cleric/warrior/enchanter/wizard - pet classes would suck as pet will die)
Hide classes - Rogue/Bard

Best classes to afk at a moment's notice in a party:
Wizard/Bard

Half the time people wouldn't even notice you're afk as a wizard while medding that huge mana pool - roll a dark elf and you can be hidden while you do so.

Phased
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Monks solo just fine untwinked. I've soloed 99% of the time from level 1 untwinked. Level 37 now. There probably are a lot of monks because they are a great class.

Grats? Pure melee soloing is ineffective compared to grouping. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

eqravenprince
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Grats? Pure melee soloing is ineffective compared to grouping. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

Your point is? The original poster wants to be able to solo. You said Monks can't do it without twinking which would be a false statement. Full groups just don't kill 6 times as many mobs as I do while soloing, therefore slower experience. The reason I group occasionally is for variety, they can usually go where I cannot solo.

Phased
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Your point is? The original poster wants to be able to solo. You said Monks can't do it without twinking which would be a false statement. Full groups just don't kill 6 times as many mobs as I do while soloing, therefore slower experience. The reason I group occasionally is for variety, they can usually go where I cannot solo.

Every class in EQ can solo, when someone says they want to solo they imply solo well. If you were a different class you'd prolly be 51 instead of 37.

A good group has no downtime and constant pulls. Groups can kill reds while you're limited to blues. They can also do dungeons with higher experience modifiers.

If your groups are getting exp slower than you soloing, it's either a terrible group or full of Troll SKs.

Grozmok
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
full of Troll SKs.

Not this argument again.

:rolleyes:

eqravenprince
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Every class in EQ can solo, when someone says they want to solo they imply solo well. If you were a different class you'd prolly be 51 instead of 37.

A good group has no downtime and constant pulls. Groups can kill reds while you're limited to blues. They can also do dungeons with higher experience modifiers.

If your groups are getting exp slower than you soloing, it's either a terrible group or full of Troll SKs.

Whatever... just trying to help the original poster out. Monks are the best melee solo class in the game. And better than quite a few casters at soloing. And certainly more fun, although that is debateable. I know I couldn't quad kite, then sit for 12 minutes, even if it meant twice as much experience per hour as my Monk. With my Monk, I have zero downtime, I am always doing something.

As far as grouping, good for you that you like it better. It's not better in my experience. I will be sure to tell EVERY group I am in that Phased says we should be killing reds with no downtime instead of group wiping on blues.

Boombha
03-03-2012, 12:48 AM
I have kids, and I made up 2 major characters to play, and I play one depending on the type of night the kids are having (I only play after bedtime).

So I made a grouping character and a solo character (and a few alts). I go back and forth, some nights all is well,and I get on one character and I group and it's fun. Other nights, I grab my Necro and solo all night.

I like variety and have several alts too. One of my requirements is an easy to learn class, if your time is limited and you may be making frequent stops, a more simple class might be worth looking into.

Oh, and fwiw: I solo'd a paladin on Live, never grouped her, and had a great time. So Paladins can group and can solo imo.

Flunklesnarkin
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
enchanter is probably the most versatile of your choices.. can solo well later on and is always welcome in a group later on.

Getting started as a chanter might be a bit of a pain but once you hit 16 + shouldn't be any trouble with groups.

Monk would probably be the easiest of your choices to start with but get harder later on.

Paladin gonna have that exp penalty and some of the min / maxers might not group with you.. but its a solid exp tank imo. shouldn't have too much group trouble.

Anesthia
03-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Kudos to those of you who recommended SKs; while I respect them, I do not want to play one. Just a personal preference.

I should clarify that I listed my likes/dislikes in order of importance. I play when my children are asleep, and I only ever need to AFK for 20-30 seconds to replace a pacifier. Playing an unforgiving game like Everquest while my children are awake is probably irresponsible parenting. ;)

Based on the feedback from the first day of the poll and Boombha's post (thanks!), I made a HE paladin and a DE enchanter. Paladin gives me tanking/healing/uniqueness and enchanter gives me action/desirability/usefulness. I made a high-elf paladin in tribute to a guy I work with IRL who played a high-elf paladin on live and was in the same guild as Fansy the Bard (http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm). Check him out for some LOLs if you haven't heard of him. Also: sorry dwarves, I don't like being short.

Please keep the feedback and poll votes coming. I always enjoy reading well thought-out posts about classes and their abilities and you might convince me to play something else!

webrunner5
03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
You have to have super high strength for Plate gear and weapons. Not counting high Sta for HP. Let alone being able to loot stuff. High elf bad idea I think. There is a reason most pallys are a Dwarf.

username1337
03-03-2012, 01:21 PM
You have to have super high strength for Plate gear and weapons. Not counting high Sta for HP. Let alone being able to loot stuff. High elf bad idea I think. There is a reason most pallys are a Dwarf.

I would recommend going human if you are starting fresh and don't want to play dwarf. Compared to High Elf, Humans start with 20 less wisdom but with 20 more strength, 10 less agility but 10 more stamina. 5 more dexterity.

At 65 STR you are going to struggle to wear armor early on and it's going to be difficult to carry a lot of loot to make money.

Dwarf is still the best race for paladin in terms of stats.

Boombha
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I solo'd a HE Paladin on live. I was able to get some items that gave me strength and it worked out okay.

It's doable, if you can get some strength gear to start you off, and if you have had other characters and have lvl'd in the past, it might not be to difficult to get some.

Slave
03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I solo'd a HE Paladin on live. I was able to get some items that gave me strength and it worked out okay.

It's doable, if you can get some strength gear to start you off, and if you have had other characters and have lvl'd in the past, it might not be to difficult to get some.

And you will always be quite a bit worse than a Dwarf paladin with the exact same gear.

Scavrefamn
03-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Erudite Paladin is the best ever!

Zuranthium
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
The woman clearly wanted to play an elf. You people are daft.

Let me know if you need help getting your Ghoulbane.

Phased
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Not this argument again.

:rolleyes:

Haha I love SKs and group a lot with an ogre SK. The exp penalty is worth the aggro capabilities compared to a warrior.

I meant it as a joke with Mr. level 37 super monk grouped with 5 TSKs.

Scavrefamn
03-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Sk is indeed the best exp tank.

Anesthia
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm set on HE. Thanks for the alternatives. I'll think about whether necro would be better than enchanter for an alt.

Thanks for the offer on the Ghoulbane, Zuranthium; I'll take you up on it some time! For now I need to find a good 1h/2h and some armor. Shahryar (if I remember his name correctly) bound me at west fp and gave me 400pp last night (wow!!!). I'm reading that shieldstorm/skyfire and some banded/bronze would be best right now. Is that right?

Phased
03-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Shieldstorm is too slow. Nathsar Greatsword will serve you well because you're damage capped and it has a quick delay. You can pick it up for 200-300pp.

Flash
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Everyone is suggesting Monk for a first timer, but I don't really get it. How is a newbie monk with no funds supposed to be able to scrounge coin and loot from monsters and save up money without going over the 14-stone weight cap?

Or is the penalty largely irrelevent?

Flunklesnarkin
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
you still haven't made up your mind lol

you've been trying to decide for months

just play a bunch of different ones and you will eventually figure out what you hate and what you like

Flash
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Me? No, I stopped doing that. I was making an argument from a selective standpoint. A lot of people in here are recommending a Monk for an unfunded newbie, and with the penalty on being over 14 stones, I'm wondering how most Monks make any decent money in the early levels. How do they loot coin and weapons without giving up their AC?

Messianic
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Unless you're a power gamer, you're doing yourself a disservice by trying to play other classes except the one you'd really prefer.

Saying "I'll play a druid so I can make money then i'll play the class I want" only works if you plan to play for many hours a day.

If you're not gonna play a ton - you're costing yourself enjoyment by leveling another character before that. Screw what everyone else thinks - analyze the classes, choose one, and go.

webrunner5
03-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Unless you're a power gamer, you're doing yourself a disservice by trying to play other classes except the one you'd really prefer.

Saying "I'll play a druid so I can make money then i'll play the class I want" only works if you plan to play for many hours a day.

If you're not gonna play a ton - you're costing yourself enjoyment by leveling another character before that. Screw what everyone else thinks - analyze the classes, choose one, and go.

This person speaks the truth lol.

Phased
03-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Me? No, I stopped doing that. I was making an argument from a selective standpoint. A lot of people in here are recommending a Monk for an unfunded newbie, and with the penalty on being over 14 stones, I'm wondering how most Monks make any decent money in the early levels. How do they loot coin and weapons without giving up their AC?

You get a mage to summon you weight reduction bags and then leave corpses from /dueling people. Ghetto tinkerer bags!

webrunner5
03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
You get a mage to summon you weight reduction bags and then leave corpses from /dueling people. Ghetto tinkerer bags!

Just remember to take loot out of summoned bags before you camp. Poof, gone.

Messianic
03-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Just remember to take loot out of summoned bags before you camp. Poof, gone.

When I first started out I lost a lot of loot from the sisters camp in lfay because I didn't heed this warning =(

eqravenprince
03-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Any time I planned on being on for several hours, I got some summoned bags. Then I attempted to keep them for the next time I logged in by dueling someone.

Levels 1-4 - Newbie ground decaying skeletons. They often drop weapons and cloth armor that sell for a gold or two. And cracked staff for a platinum if you are lucky. And you can sell the bone chips.

Levels 5-14 - Blackburrow. Collect gnoll fangs and profit. If I had summoned bags, I kept all the weapon drops and sold them. Banked after selling. I did spend time grinding on non experience giving gnolls, but their fangs give experience so it worked out.

Levels 13-18 - Erud's Crossing hunting Wisps. After I was done here, I was able to afford Wu's Quivering Staff and Wu's or better armor, and a couple +55 rings and some 2AC earrings.

Levels 19-24 - Dark Elf Guards. This I had to have summoned bags, but it was pretty easy since it was right next to EC and Freeport, lots of people.

Levels 25-35 - High Keep guards. Vendor and bank right there, for awhile I sold after each kill. But pretty soon, I was able to afford my first Tink Bag.

Messianic
03-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Levels 13-18 - Erud's Crossing hunting Wisps. After I was done here, I was able to afford Wu's Quivering Staff and Wu's or better armor, and a couple +55 rings and some 2AC earrings.

This is a very underestimated hunting location. There are so many flippin wisps it makes you wonder why more people don't go there. To expound in case anyone is unaware, consider each GLS 9pp with the NK quest :D

Just don't die, though ;) Long boat ride back.

Hitchens
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I think I've only grouped with one Paladin and I hardly ever see them, so I voted for Paladin.

Gamkek
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
The most important thing I learned from this thread?

Don't have children.

Grozmok
03-06-2012, 02:30 PM
The most important thing I learned from this thread?

Don't have dumb children.

Fixed

Anesthia
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had bounced around alts and decided to create this poll for the specific purpose of determining which class to play. And so you have determined the class I am playing: Paladin. (deleted my alt enchanter since I'm not a "power gamer")

Now if only I could find someone to sell me the rest of my bronze armor set! (already have chest/cloak/boots)

Flash
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had bounced around alts and decided to create this poll for the specific purpose of determining which class to play. And so you have determined the class I am playing: Paladin. (deleted my alt enchanter since I'm not a "power gamer")

Now if only I could find someone to sell me the rest of my bronze armor set! (already have chest/cloak/boots)

See if someone is nice enough to give you a Sword of the Morning.

Anesthia
03-08-2012, 02:22 AM
See if someone is nice enough to give you a Sword of the Morning.

Prices on the wiki range from 2.5k-3k; someone would have to be VERY generous to give that away! I'm rocking a Nathsar Greatsword I picked up for 250 for now. What's a good shield to go with that Sword of Awesomeness should I acquire it?

Also, I'm dumb for barking in EC for hours. I forgot about http://ahungry.com/eqauctions :eek: