PDA

View Full Version : Druid charms working as intended?

MightyTyr
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Using the level 24 and 34 druid charm spells I have not had a single charm last over 10-15 seconds in 30 or 40 tries on blue con mobs. 85 unbuffed Charisma, though I can't possibly imagine that would make my charm utterly useless. Just for argument's sake, I tried the level 34 spell on a couple level 10 green mobs and it still only lasted about 30 seconds each time.

My enchanter friend who doesn't have much more charisma than me's charm seems to be working normally - lasting 2-4 minutes on blue con mobs.

Is druid charm, specifically, broken at the moment? Is the issue really my charisma? Although I can't believe that is the problem. Or did druid charm just really suck this much in classic? Can't remember from 10+ years ago.

Zordana
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
i already had a 20second charm on a blue mob, that was the longest.. tho i remember it being pretty shitty too on live ~kunark time...

Pyrocat
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
You don't have much cha gear do you?

Druid charm was never that great because druids spec +wis and you need +cha and a MR debuff to get any charm to last.

Omnimorph
04-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Without tash and at least 200+ cha. Charm is useless on enchanters too :)

I remember druid charm being quite decent in velious , particularly in WW. i Don't remember them needing particularly high cha to do that either.

Jify
04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I remember it being decent in WW.. but not because charm was better. It was because WW is wide open, and the druid could just snare it's pet & the mob. It's like bard charm kiting, but much safer. :D

Omnimorph
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
I remember it being decent in WW.. but not because charm was better. It was because WW is wide open, and the druid could just snare it's pet & the mob. It's like bard charm kiting, but much safer. :D

Yeah, but what i mean is that it was actually a viable way of soloing, the charm described by the OP seems like it is useless (only lasting 30secs). Shouldn't matter where you are :p

Alawen Everywhere
04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I leveled druids on Xev, Sullon Zek, Kane Bayle and Stromm and I play a druid here.

Druid charm works nothing like live. With no charisma gear and no base points spent on charisma, charms would generally last about long enough to beat down another mob to low life, then break charm and kill both mobs with much better mana efficiency than nuking or doting. On Project 1999 in the same situation, charm won't last long enough to even start the attack on another mob.

Druids have other ways to level, but pretending there's no difference from live is rather disingenuous.

Malrubius
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I leveled druids on Xev, Sullon Zek, Kane Bayle and Stromm and I play a druid here.

Druid charm works nothing like live. With no charisma gear and no base points spent on charisma, charms would generally last about long enough to beat down another mob to low life, then break charm and kill both mobs with much better mana efficiency than nuking or doting. On Project 1999 in the same situation, charm won't last long enough to even start the attack on another mob.

Druids have other ways to level, but pretending there's no difference from live is rather disingenuous.

Cha had little to no effect on Druid charm. Same with Necros.

siinge
04-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Cha had little to no effect on Druid charm. Same with Necros.

it has it does ive posted proof months ago ive already gone over all this charm crap with developers not going over it all over again with noobs that just found out about p99 use the search function

Malrubius
04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
it has it does ive posted proof months ago ive already gone over all this charm crap with developers not going over it all over again with noobs that just found out about p99 use the search function

Are you saying "it has it does ive posted..." with regards to how it worked in classic? Or, with regards to how it works here?

guineapig
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Just think of the other useless druid spells.

Invisibility to Animals,
Lull animal,
Calm animal,
Sense animal,

These spells are of course useless because druids also get spells that encompass multiple NPC types. I have never found a reason to use calm animal instead of harmony for example.

In the case of charm however, there is no substitute for druid animal charms. It was meant to be a viable option for druids or else they wouldn't have bothered to add 2 more druid charm spells in Kunark (level 53 and 55).

The only utility spell I've seen to help druid charm is this:

Level: 53
Glamour of Tunare Decrease Magic resistance of Animals

If high charisma isn't the key to making druid charm work then what is? Charming green mobs as an added dot when kiting a mob? Seems like an awful lot of work and wasted spell slot.

All that being said it seems to me like fear kiting animals is a better idea than charming them. It's a shame that most animals in Norrath are social for whatever reason so fear kiting can also get a little sketchy.

Not sure what my original point was now.... oh well.

MightyTyr
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Glad to see a good showing of support here. I do remember charm-killing rats in PoD for AA's at level 54. Like said before, the charm at least lasted long enough for the mob to usually beat up my target to near-death. No charisma gear ever - I know that for sure.

From the vague memories I had of classic EQ, druid charm was NOT this worthless - literally never lasting for more than 15 seconds in dozens of tries on blue mobs. I just find it strange that my chanter buddy 9 levels lower than me can charm mobs better than I can with almost a slightly higher base CHA.

You can argue that there are better levelling techniques in classic, but I've found MUCH better results charm-killing post-50 than quadding, root-rotting, or duoing. I'd love to hear some dev feedback before Kunark/Velious.

And for some poster above me - Lull Animal =/= useless. Indoor zones.

siinge
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
From the vague memories I had of classic EQ, druid charm was NOT this worthless - literally never lasting for more than 15 seconds in dozens of tries on blue mobs. I just find it strange that my chanter buddy 9 levels lower than me can charm mobs better than I can with almost a slightly higher base CHA.

chanters dont get charm till lvl 12... they have tash wish decreases -mr wich is what charm is based off. Mage resist checks. Bards have been known to charm crazy crap in kunark with tash orbs, sticks, songs, weapons etc.

Druids dont have any way to decrease mr, unless you get some 1hb with an effect.

Chanters also have spells to boost to the soft cap very easily and more so than any other class in all of eq. Druid and necro charm in class was based off mr checks and charsima checks. Ive posted it, developers here like the way they have it. Necro charm wich i play a 50 here. Has had a charm nerf to an extent and a buff. Necro charm no longer checks with charisma checks its on its own random number generator. And im charming undead in lower guk. Im an erudite and i min/maxed my charism with a starting based of 90!

Yes mad. Yes over it. Yes rerolled.

Bards are the King of Kunark.

Yinikren
04-29-2010, 09:46 PM
First point. Why is siinge even posting? or talking? christ.

Second point, guinea pig is right. Druid charm worked fairly well in Kunark and Velious (WW, OT, LOIO, EW were all druid hotspots because of... charm). Its not foolproof, and the MR debuffs are helpful, but they don't make or break it. Charm still lasted 2-3 minutes average on blue con expable mobs.

Zordana
04-29-2010, 10:05 PM

this

Malrubius
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Was wondering the same thing. Punctuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation) ftl.

Second point, guinea pig is right. Druid charm worked fairly well in Kunark and Velious (WW, OT, LOIO, EW were all druid hotspots because of... charm). Its not foolproof, and the MR debuffs are helpful, but they don't make or break it. Charm still lasted 2-3 minutes average on blue con expable mobs.

That's my recollection also. CHA had almost no effect for Druid charm (sorry siinge, but it's true). As you said above, they could charm blue mobs reasonably well regardless of CHA. MR debuffs would definitely help though.

Data gathered around PoP era (another thread) shows that the CHA effect on Charm duration might have been about 10% (between a crazy-high CHA and a decent CHA) *FOR ENCHANTERS*.

It was also stated by Verant that the impact was different for different classes (i.e. the biggest effect would be for Enchanters who are masters of CHA). So we are probably talking ~5% impact for Druids, if that.

Taluvill
04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I can get over 200 cha with shaman/ench cha buffs, and I can charm monkeys in fear. Usually blues hold close to the full duration. I stopped because im playing like a chanter that cant mez/anything. So yeah