PDA

View Full Version : Returning to P1999!

Trojanman
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi guys, I'm a returning player that started fresh with p1999 back when it launched. I recently go re-excited about it and want to dive in for a long term run!

Seems my druid was reset? maybe a character wipe or something, but now its lvl 1 and nekkid so looks like I'm starting fresh.

First question is class selection. I am tinkering with a bard (never played one) and am pretty interested in that play-style. I used to play druids and clerics. Anyone have a good reason to talk me out of it before I get too far along? Besides the obvious low exp gain. Groups really wont invite a bard because of that?

Second is; are there any friendly guilds that would welcome a guy like me? I'm all about the social experience, grouping and helping people.

Thanks all, I'm excited to be back!

Silentone
03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
If you are a good bard, groups will beg you to join. Bard is great for groups and you can also swarm kite so...if you can master those skills then you would be welcome by all. Also Bards are great for end game, raid encounters, pulling and tracking a bit. I say go for it =)

Hitchens
03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Still Waters is a leveling guild with nice people.

Trojanman
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
If you are a good bard, groups will beg you to join. Bard is great for groups and you can also swarm kite so...if you can master those skills then you would be welcome by all. Also Bards are great for end game, raid encounters, pulling and tracking a bit. I say go for it =)

And if I'm a bad bard? =P

SirAlvarex
03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Bards are one of the least played classes (by doing a /who all count bard...does include anons and roleplayers), but I have no idea why. They can do just about anything. I was able to get swarm kiting down to a science and have been breezing though levels on casual play time. At 26 I got the fear song, and that opened up the ability to fear kite (and raise my weapon skills). Just got 27, and have yet to do too much tinkering with charm, but I was able to burn down a couple of yellows in a minute.

Grouping has been fun, but with how fast I'm able to solo (and the fact that I usually only have an hour or 2 I can commit to playing), grouping has been really just for fun. Unfortunately if we are to do our full job, we don't have much time to chat, so be ready to weave in chatting within those 3 seconds it takes to cast a song.

I can't say anything for 30+, but getting to 27 has been a blast. I always get bored with classes, but there are so many ways to play a bard I haven't reached that point yet.

Grozmok
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about your druid, that's worth a petition I think.

Trojanman
03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Awesome, thanks guys.

How about any early level quests for some gear? Seems like all melee classes tend to suffer early on with rusty weapons and crappy gear - is there a "must do" quest for a bard around the Gfay area? besides the usual bone chips and CB belts/pads?

Swish
03-06-2012, 08:34 PM
mail quests from Felwithe to Kelethin bard guild from 1-4 is tedious but profitable and fairly quick versus bat slapping and pixie pwning :)

Trojanman
03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
mail quests from Felwithe to Kelethin bard guild from 1-4 is tedious but profitable and fairly quick versus bat slapping and pixie pwning :)

??? I dont remember seeing that quest on the Bard guild NPCs, does it start in Kelethin or Felwithe?

Galaa
03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi guys, I'm a returning player that started fresh with p1999 back when it launched. I recently go re-excited about it and want to dive in for a long term run!

Seems my druid was reset? maybe a character wipe or something, but now its lvl 1 and nekkid so looks like I'm starting fresh.

First question is class selection. I am tinkering with a bard (never played one) and am pretty interested in that play-style. I used to play druids and clerics. Anyone have a good reason to talk me out of it before I get too far along? Besides the obvious low exp gain. Groups really wont invite a bard because of that?

Second is; are there any friendly guilds that would welcome a guy like me? I'm all about the social experience, grouping and helping people.

Thanks all, I'm excited to be back!

bards level MUCH MUCH faster than any other class via AoE kiting. See this thread on how the others do it.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23132

Swish
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
??? I dont remember seeing that quest on the Bard guild NPCs, does it start in Kelethin or Felwithe?

Starts at Tacar Tissleplay in Felwithe (into Felwithe, across the bridge, turn right), just target him and type "deliver kelethin"...

Ends at Jakum Webdancer in the Kelethin bard guild.

...think it's 1 delivery for level 2, 2 deliveries for level 3, and then it starts to spiral - by level 5 you'll probably have had enough and start to see minimum gain for your efforts. Also though, you'll have enough cash to buy your songs and certain basic instruments :)

Trojanman
03-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Starts at Tacar Tissleplay in Felwithe (into Felwithe, across the bridge, turn right), just target him and type "deliver kelethin"...

Ends at Jakum Webdancer in the Kelethin bard guild.

...think it's 1 delivery for level 2, 2 deliveries for level 3, and then it starts to spiral - by level 5 you'll probably have had enough and start to see minimum gain for your efforts. Also though, you'll have enough cash to buy your songs and certain basic instruments :)

Awesome tip! helped a ton, thanks!

Flunklesnarkin
03-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Always carry and use protection Trojanman

preferably in the form of a battle axe.

Messianic
03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Didn't they nerf PBAoE's to only hit a certain # of mobs, meaning swarm kiting was effectively nerfed?

Or was it only chanter stun in skyfire that was nerfed?

falkun
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
The wurms and wyverns (and maybe other mobs) in Skyfire were flagged as giant (unstunnable) per classic. This made SF AE impossible as it relied heavily upon ENC PBAOE stuns. Bard PBAOE nukes still hit a very large (if not unlimited) number of mobs. However if they are moving and not feared, they only take 2/3 the damage. Its not a huge deal for AE kiting, but it does make things take a bit longer.

Slave
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Look - playing a bard is the most physically intensive thing you can do in Everquest. Some people play video games to relax, and some people Play to Crush. If you're an immense powergaming min-maxer, it will be emotionally easier to power through bard levels as you succumb to aching wrists and snapping ligaments.

SirAlvarex
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Bard AOEs do max damage while kiting. They also have an unlimited number of targets. My max so far has been...probably 40-50 or so in south karana.

For awhile the bard AOEs were affected by the movement reduction, but this was apparently taken out. Or I guess if it is still in, I've never noticed it when I've kited vs dot'd a standing opponent.

SirAlvarex
03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
And for those saying that bard'ing is difficult, I find it no more difficult than playing Counter-Strike or any other FPS. Heck, playing an RTS requires more clicks.

Just put your most used/twisted songs on your 1/2/3/4 slot. I find it very easy to both move using WASD and twist 4+ songs.

But when done right...bards are freakin' awesome.

fischsemmel
03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Play to Crush.

I miss Shadowbane.

WTB SBEMU.

Flunklesnarkin
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
And for those saying that bard'ing is difficult, I find it no more difficult than playing Counter-Strike or any other FPS. Heck, playing an RTS requires more clicks.

Just put your most used/twisted songs on your 1/2/3/4 slot. I find it very easy to both move using WASD and twist 4+ songs.

But when done right...bards are freakin' awesome.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Razor-Nostromo-Game-Pad.jpg

can bind keys to buttons on the pad... most things you do in a game only use a dozen or so buttons.

why not put them all in one spot.. less you move your hand , faster you are.

just don't use the programmable macros in mmo's to bot or w/e... you gonna get bant

Trojanman
03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
My keyboard:
http://www.logitech.com/assets/17696/17696.png
Great for programmable keys on the left.