PDA

View Full Version : All I can say is...HOLY OMG!

Weekapaug
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
THANK YOU to the folks responsible for this EMU. I've been floundering in a sea of semi-gaming boredom (xbox) for almost 2 years now and had almost given up on PC gaming altogether simply because of the lack of MMOs that aren't the same monty-haul-on-rails crap that they all have been since EQ and DAoC. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before, probably lived it too, so I will cut this short, save to say again, THANK YOU! I've literally been JONSING to play EQ the last few weeks but just couldnt stomach trying to go back to the old mains.

I'm old-school (April 10th-ish, '99---will post in the players section later about all that) but my girlfriend never played EQ and I've been dying to show her around, just seemed so pointless with the way live is now. Was poking around today and found Project 1999 mentioned on another forum and now I'm so stoked from reading your board that I can't wait to get it loaded and start. Called girlie at work and she's all about playing this...I even found my old copy of titanium from when I added an account way back in like 3 mins on the back of a shelf....We just gotta get loaded up, petition for dual access, and figure out what to play and we should be good to go to really play all weekend :)

Two questions I was hoping you guys wouldnt mind helping with so as to hasten the startup....

A) Has there been any word when Kunark will release? Don't need exact dates or anything, but just wanted to make sure we have time to enjoy levelling up, geeking out on gear, raid some dragons and whatnot, before I go inviting old buddies, wasting time smelling the low level roses, etc. I managed to miss a lot of the old-world high end the first time around (as well as on live progression) due to re-rolls and I'd really love to be able to get into it this time, even if it means rushing the lower levels a bit. Besides the Efreeti, I'm not sure I raided anything old-world before Kunark came out and I've always wanted to. Silly me, I thought I would be able to on progression, but I blinked and kunark was out.

B) We like to duo when we can, of course, but we are coming here specificly to GROUP primarily....better gameplay and you make friends that way. I read a couple threads about classes and checked out the poll....Looks like a pretty even split, but thought I would ask if anyone notices a marked lack of or overubundence of any particular class? The last few times I've played EQ it always seems like complete feast or famine on one thing or another....My last server always had dps out the wazoo sitting around LFG and eventually clerics everywhere too, but never any tanks. And if you could find a tank, no slowers to be found....

Would love to avoid that. I'm great with pretty much any class besides Rangers....she is a great gamer, quick learner and quite flexible also, so if there are any holes we can fill, I'd love to know if anyone has noticed in their personal experiences a distinct need for any particular thing, primarily in grouping, but also raiding, too.

I've got a few combos in mind for us, but it really depends on what she's up for playing....If you guys can offer any info it will go a long way to helping us narrow it down quicky so we can sink in!

C) Refresh me, as it's been a while...The good cultural armor that went in rather early on (Fierce Heraldric etc is what I'm thinking of, not the first stuff) before or after Velious? For some reason I'm thinking that went in about halfway thru Velious era, but I'm probably wrong about that. Depending on class, diety might be an issue, I'm thinking.

I had another question like the one above, but it evades me now. Wrapping my brain around going to Velious and stopping, while having not played the game at all in about 3 years is making my head spin a bit trying to think of what I want to play.

Thanks so much! Can't tell you how excited we are!

Swindle
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
There is no ETA for Kunark. Rogean did broadcast last night on the server that there will likely be a Beta for it first. They have a lot of work to do before that is close to being ready.

Based on my limited experience thus far, with a 14 Shaman as my highest character, the only classes that seem lacking are rogues, rangers, and the like. Getting groups at low levels is quite easy. Higher up I could not say.

Not sure about the cultural armor.

Xumosa
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
A) Kunark TBA from what i understand its still fairly buggy

B) Wizzies are wanted big time..and clerics are always wanted

C) cant remember

oh and...
I will cut this short
you lied..

Phorest
04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Fierce heraldic (and the like) came out after Velious.. Maybe after luclin , i am not sure of the exact time.. The "infused" components require velium , but not a "Luclin specific" ingredient.

Tallenn
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
A. Rogean came onto the server last night and mentioned 4 to 6 months for Kunark. The way it sounded to me was that this was a MINIMUM, meaning 4 months, while possible, it extremely unlikely, and 6 months is still not certain. You should have plenty of time to level up. Hell, PoSky still isn't out yet.

B. Pretty much what you'd expect, really. Not actually lacking in any classes (not really), and not overloaded with any, either. Yes, there are lots of druids, but not so many that a druid can't find a group. Same with the other way around: yes, there may not be quite as many tanks as I'd like to see, but there are generally enough to get plenty of groups going just about anywhere. If there were any surprises, it would be that there are extremely few rangers, and quite a few more than you would expect of clerics and enchanters- but again, not so many that they can't get groups. If anything, I'd say p99 is far more balanced with classes than any live server ever thought about being.

Not sure about when cultural armor comes in, but I do know it's not in now. Maybe someone else can be more specific on this one, sorry.

Weekapaug
04-29-2010, 07:35 PM
LOL by "cut this short" I meant I would cut short the going on and on about the lack of good MMOs and how it almost put me off of PC gaming forever....Sorry for the length though...I'm super stoked and I tend to type fast LOL

Thanks for the info! She's leaning towards a Cleric, I think so that's cool...Are warriors falling out of trees? Was thinking about a nice group backbone duo like War/Clr, but if there are plenty of tanks around I might be pursuaded to play an Ench or bard with her cleric and go for a support duo....or maybe a shammy.

Can't ever decide what class, so any help at all is a HUGE help.

Pope
04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
War/cleric would be great but you got to remeber that wars cant hold aggro at all in Classic until they get up in lvls and get some good procing weapons. If you manage to get end game tho and start raiding you will be set. I play a cleric and finding a good tank is normaly the hardest part of putting a group together on the server. And there tend to be lots of paly/sk tanks just because warrior is so difficult for those first 30 lvls. Anyway have fun ive loved this server since I started. Remeber tho that Class/Race exp pens are in effect! O and DE clerics get a snare clickly just alittle fact to remeber ;)

Ginge,
Cleric of 31 seasons

jettoki
04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Welcome! :) I had the same reaction to finding P1999, it truly is a wish fulfilled.

Cleric/Warrior is a good duo, but your girlfriend might want to start with a flexible class like Druid to get a sense of what gameplay style she prefers. Druid will also give you the added bonus of teleports later on (remember that travel takes a significant amount of time on this server). FYI, Warrior is going to be more gear-dependent than most classes, so you may find that starting out broke is a handicap. Remember, there are no newbie armor quests. Still, the best Warrior I've grouped with so far was using some patched together armor and a newbie short sword, so as long as you're pretty skilled, you should be fine.

To be honest, when I started playing with my friends, we kept trying to figure out the perfect duo/trio of classes, but we ended up re-rolling constantly until we figured out what we actually enjoyed playing. My recommendation would be to start with any pair of characters in the same starting area, and get reacquainted with the game before making up your mind.

L2Phantom
04-29-2010, 08:39 PM
...so as long as you're pretty skilled, you should be fine.

Auto attacks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
You die.

Am I skilled bro? :D

Ihealyou
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Auto attacks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
You die.

You forgot to beg

jettoki
04-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Auto attacks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
Taunts your post.
Kicks you.
You die.

Nope, you over-pulled, broke mez, let the Cleric die, and Ranger-gated.

siinge
04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
i played eq original eq on release... ive played many emulators since then, same boat as you to wanting to relive my original everquest experiences. if i could do it all over again on a classic like server (its not 100% but its close). I wanted to lvl a necro to 50, do some hate/fear raiding, kill naggy vox again for lols. Ive been able to acomplish all that here.

Still loving every min of it.

Kunark is just icing on the cake, alts are fun. Server is great, everyone hates me.

Weekapaug
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
i played eq original eq on release... ive played many emulators since then, same boat as you to wanting to relive my original everquest experiences. if i could do it all over again on a classic like server (its not 100% but its close). I wanted to lvl a necro to 50, do some hate/fear raiding, kill naggy vox again for lols. Ive been able to acomplish all that here.

Still loving every min of it.

Kunark is just icing on the cake, alts are fun. Server is great, everyone hates me.

Awesome! Glad you are having fun.

I'm always telling my GF how much I miss EQ and would love to show her around and she always says "lets play then"....it kills me to explain that the EQ I'm talking about is gone. Plus I hardly raided till luclin/pop so getting to possibly explore this content for real with her for the first time is just perfect, and exactly what we've been looking for in our gaming of late.

Thanks for all the great advice and info. Since there's no rush, we may just try out a few different classes till she finds one she likes and I've got my head back in it.

Serith
04-30-2010, 03:26 AM
THANK YOU to the folks responsible for this EMU. I've been floundering in a sea of semi-gaming boredom (xbox) for almost 2 years now and had almost given up on PC gaming altogether simply because of the lack of MMOs that aren't the same monty-haul-on-rails crap that they all have been since EQ and DAoC. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before, probably lived it too, so I will cut this short, save to say again, THANK YOU! I've literally been JONSING to play EQ the last few weeks but just couldnt stomach trying to go back to the old mains.

I'm old-school (April 10th-ish, '99---will post in the players section later about all that) but my girlfriend never played EQ and I've been dying to show her around, just seemed so pointless with the way live is now. Was poking around today and found Project 1999 mentioned on another forum and now I'm so stoked from reading your board that I can't wait to get it loaded and start. Called girlie at work and she's all about playing this...I even found my old copy of titanium from when I added an account way back in like 3 mins on the back of a shelf....We just gotta get loaded up, petition for dual access, and figure out what to play and we should be good to go to really play all weekend :)

Two questions I was hoping you guys wouldnt mind helping with so as to hasten the startup....

A) Has there been any word when Kunark will release? Don't need exact dates or anything, but just wanted to make sure we have time to enjoy levelling up, geeking out on gear, raid some dragons and whatnot, before I go inviting old buddies, wasting time smelling the low level roses, etc. I managed to miss a lot of the old-world high end the first time around (as well as on live progression) due to re-rolls and I'd really love to be able to get into it this time, even if it means rushing the lower levels a bit. Besides the Efreeti, I'm not sure I raided anything old-world before Kunark came out and I've always wanted to. Silly me, I thought I would be able to on progression, but I blinked and kunark was out.

B) We like to duo when we can, of course, but we are coming here specificly to GROUP primarily....better gameplay and you make friends that way. I read a couple threads about classes and checked out the poll....Looks like a pretty even split, but thought I would ask if anyone notices a marked lack of or overubundence of any particular class? The last few times I've played EQ it always seems like complete feast or famine on one thing or another....My last server always had dps out the wazoo sitting around LFG and eventually clerics everywhere too, but never any tanks. And if you could find a tank, no slowers to be found....

Would love to avoid that. I'm great with pretty much any class besides Rangers....she is a great gamer, quick learner and quite flexible also, so if there are any holes we can fill, I'd love to know if anyone has noticed in their personal experiences a distinct need for any particular thing, primarily in grouping, but also raiding, too.

I've got a few combos in mind for us, but it really depends on what she's up for playing....If you guys can offer any info it will go a long way to helping us narrow it down quicky so we can sink in!

C) Refresh me, as it's been a while...The good cultural armor that went in rather early on (Fierce Heraldric etc is what I'm thinking of, not the first stuff) before or after Velious? For some reason I'm thinking that went in about halfway thru Velious era, but I'm probably wrong about that. Depending on class, diety might be an issue, I'm thinking.

I had another question like the one above, but it evades me now. Wrapping my brain around going to Velious and stopping, while having not played the game at all in about 3 years is making my head spin a bit trying to think of what I want to play.

Thanks so much! Can't tell you how excited we are!

deity*

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 07:02 AM
deity*

thank you :)

Speaking of that, my earlier question about Fierce Heraldric notwithstanding, do I remember correctly that diety pretty much only affects faction pre-Luclin, or was there any kind of cultural gear in velious? Or, I should say, cultural gear that mattered?

As a matter of trivia, I was intensely proud to have been the first human smith to make a piece of Bertoxxulous cultural armor game-wide (that was known on EQ Crafters, at least at the time), but that didn't mean it was exactly all that great, either lol

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Oh and one final (I think) question before we take the plunge today....

I've read nothing but amazing things about this server, but being totally new to EMUs I just wanted to ask if there were any others you guys consider as good as this one or close that we should consider?

I'm all about classic thru velious, but wouldn't mind the option of moving on to luclin and/or pop eventually, for example, if a good place to do that exists. Quality of the server and population, being the most important factors, of course.

Thanks so much again.

Omnimorph
04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

I've read nothing but amazing things about this server, but being totally new to EMUs I just wanted to ask if there were any others you guys consider as good as this one or close that we should consider?

I'm all about classic thru velious, but wouldn't mind the option of moving on to luclin and/or pop eventually, for example, if a good place to do that exists. Quality of the server and population, being the most important factors, of course.

Thanks so much again.

If you want a completely different experience, might be worth having a look at ez server, it's fairly popular, and where i spent my time during the ddos attacks.

It's fairly interesting.

Tudana
04-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks so much again.

Welcome to P1999 - love your excitment!

Also a great server with an awesome team of devs is The Hidden Forest.
It is high exp paced, soloable, bots, gear progression, custom zones.

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Welcome to P1999 - love your excitment!

Also a great server with an awesome team of devs is The Hidden Forest.
It is high exp paced, soloable, bots, gear progression, custom zones.

Thanks so much! I will check that out.

I lied before...I do have a couple of other questions....

Last time I played EQ (Feb/march-ish '07) there was no widescreen support...Or, at least, the widescreen resos caused a loss of some screen real estate. Is this still an issue? I'm on 1680x1050 at the moment and it looks pretty good, but if I'm losing part of the camera view I'll need to scale it back down.

Isn't there some command that lets you letterbox the sides or something? And, if so, what is the largest reso one can go with that causes no loss?

Sorry to ask so many questions....I'm just not even sure where to look for help with this kind of thing.

Oh, also...are we free to use any UI in P1999 or just the default or velious one listed in the startup help thread?

Thanks!

Ihealyou
04-30-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm using 1920x1080 with no problem. On my vista laptop I have a weird problem where clicking near the edges of the screen clicks through to the desktop for some reason, but on my windows 7 machine I've had no problem.

With regards to UIs, any UI that works with Titanium will work here, I think there's problems if you try to use a newer one though.

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm using 1920x1080 with no problem. On my vista laptop I have a weird problem where clicking near the edges of the screen clicks through to the desktop for some reason, but on my windows 7 machine I've had no problem.

With regards to UIs, any UI that works with Titanium will work here, I think there's problems if you try to use a newer one though.

Awesome...I just realized my monitor is a couple years older than my video card and 1680x1050 might be the highest it goes...have to double check that.

Thanks for the info on the UI also...I just realized this client has "old-default" or whatever on it which is my favorite UI ever so I think I'm set. :)

Again, thank you very much to everyone for all of the help. I've always loved EQ so much and being able to take my girlie back in time for this is really just so awesome. Clearing out the cobwebs and getting my head back into it is just taking a bit, is all. So thanks!

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
BTW, I would be lying if I said I didn't get a bit misty a min ago when I logged into freeport with the old graphics. :D You guys responsible for this server are doing God's work, I tell you.

Now, I just gotta light a fire under the girlfriend....Cazic Thule and Lower Guk are calling!

Excision Rottun
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm using 1920x1080 with no problem. On my vista laptop I have a weird problem where clicking near the edges of the screen clicks through to the desktop for some reason

Once you are in-game in fullscreen mode open up options and video modes, reset your video mode to its current mode, it will refresh the screen, hit yes to accept the resolution. ( you shouldn't have to make any changes just open up click and accept )

This fixes the problem for me, I have to do it any time I Alt-Tab or crash.

Malrubius
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
BTW, I would be lying if I said I didn't get a bit misty a min ago when I logged into freeport with the old graphics. :D You guys responsible for this server are doing God's work, I tell you.

You'll fit in just fine. All sorts of nostalgia rushes are in store for you. Welcome back.

Striiker
04-30-2010, 10:38 AM
BTW, I would be lying if I said I didn't get a bit misty a min ago when I logged into freeport with the old graphics. :D ..

Nostalgia reins supreme here! You'll be please to hear that trains run on time in all the old familiar zones.. Blackburrow, Unrest, Crushbone, etc. :)
Make sure to wipe those tears of joy away quickly otherwise you'll get run over by the train!

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Totally! I can't wait to see old nek and lavastorm too.

So, I notice when I switch between "default" and "default-old" that I'm getting the red "Your XML files are not compatable..." message. Is that to be expected? As in, I'm okay to use the "default old" UI? The setup guide had patches to download for the "default" file and just want to make sure I'm not screwing something up by switching to the other one.

Also, What the hell happened to Allakahzams? I was going to re-subscribe but the item and quest databases seem all screwed up.

Is there any kind of Magelo for this?

Dantes
04-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Been doing the cleric/warrior duo thing and it's been interesting. As the warrior, I feel like the gimp... While the cleric bashes away at things with his screaming mace and I'm just trying to get aggro. I'm hoping things will change when I can get hold of some proc weapons. Leveling has been easy and getting gear has been easy too, folks are really nice and helpful. It doesn't seem like there's a great deal of warriors out there at my level, I've seen a few but I see more SKs and Palys.

Deathrydar
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Totally! I can't wait to see old nek and lavastorm too.

So, I notice when I switch between "default" and "default-old" that I'm getting the red "Your XML files are not compatable..." message. Is that to be expected? As in, I'm okay to use the "default old" UI? The setup guide had patches to download for the "default" file and just want to make sure I'm not screwing something up by switching to the other one.

Also, What the hell happened to Allakahzams? I was going to re-subscribe but the item and quest databases seem all screwed up.

Is there any kind of Magelo for this?

Don't worry about that XML message, ignore it.
Allakhazam is dead, my friend. :(
There is no magelo from my knowledge, however, there is a "Project 1999 companion" here in the announcements forums.

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't worry about that XML message, ignore it.
Allakhazam is dead, my friend. :(
There is no magelo from my knowledge, however, there is a "Project 1999 companion" here in the announcements forums.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check that out.

So, where do people go for detailed searchable item and quest info?

Wow, that really sucks. EQ without Allas is like corned beef without mustard. Or bread. Or a place to sit....Pretty much just a pile of meat in your hand rather than the meal it should be. I can understand a site like that not getting new updates, etc, but where does all that info just go away to? What on earth do they do on live? I can't even imagine attempting playing thru 25? expansions worth of fairly complext content without something like it.

Dantes
04-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Back in the day before people were posting the whereabouts and guide to obtaining every item in the game - I suppose we just had to go explore and find out.

Tudana
04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Awesome, thanks. I'll check that out.

So, where do people go for detailed searchable item and quest info?

Wow, that really sucks. EQ without Allas is like corned beef without mustard. Or bread. Or a place to sit....Pretty much just a pile of meat in your hand rather than the meal it should be. I can understand a site like that not getting new updates, etc, but where does all that info just go away to? What on earth do they do on live? I can't even imagine attempting playing thru 25? expansions worth of fairly complext content without something like it.

I know I was shocked to see Alla go to this new view, but Allahs is still there, you have to get past the front page - they just re-designed it, I hate it myself.

but the data info collection is all there from quests, mobs, gear and crafting.
but only as a premium member do you have search abilities. (its cheap and worth it imho to pay the fee)

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Back in the day before people were posting the whereabouts and guide to obtaining every item in the game - I suppose we just had to go explore and find out.

No disrespect intended, but please spare me.

I'm all for a challenge and as up for "exploring and finding out" as anyone, but when we are talking about extensively complex quests that include lengthy camps, factioning, etc., particularly those involving groups and possibly raids (like many found in, say, God or OoW) knowing what is going on is essential. There is only one word that describes someone who would waste others' time by not doing due research on a quest or mob, or looting gear that is only marginally better than the next upgrade they might get because they didn't know what they were looking for, etc etc: Rude. Plain and simple.

And not to be argumentative, but when was this "Back in the day..." exactly? In UO? I started EQ a couple weeks after release and there were already loads of spoilers and item lists available...took a break that summer, and when I got back a couple months later Allas had pretty much every quest and item up....this was 3-4 months after release, maybe 5...That time period represents 3% of the entire life of a wonderful game...and about 1/4 of the time period that this server will be encompasing. Let's not allow our sense of nostalgia for the old days steer us into revising history, eh?

You might also consider that having detailed spoiler info available was, at a point, taken into account by the devs and allowed them the luxury of providing us with much deeper content than they would have otherwise.

I'm just trying to get back up to speed with the game and resources that support it after having been gone for 3 years. The purist sentiment is appreciated (and, in the proper context, I would probably join you), but really not warranted or necessary in this discussion.

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I know I was shocked to see Alla go to this new view, but Allahs is still there, you have to get past the front page - they just re-designed it, I hate it myself.

but the data info collection is all there from quests, mobs, gear and crafting.
but only as a premium member do you have search abilities. (its cheap and worth it imho to pay the fee)

Awesome, thanks. Yeah it looked like a mere shadow of its former functionality, but I will resubscribe, then. Just wanted to make sure the info was still there before I did. I'm getting cheap in my old age. :P

Thanks again to everyone for the info. We got everything set up on both mine and my GF's boxes this morning. I gave her a quick and dirty rundown of classes, what they do, etc over lunch, and, hopefully we will have our IP exemption approved by the time she gets home this evening and we can sink in. :)

Tudana
04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Awesome, thanks. Yeah it looked like a mere shadow of its former functionality, but I will resubscribe, then. Just wanted to make sure the info was still there before I did. I'm getting cheap in my old age. :P

Thanks again to everyone for the info. We got everything set up on both mine and my GF's boxes this morning. I gave her a quick and dirty rundown of classes, what they do, etc over lunch, and, hopefully we will have our IP exemption approved by the time she gets home this evening and we can sink in. :)

just an idea...

she could get a crash coarse on the classes in a very fast pace on the Hidden Forest server. you can level up to 30 in 1 sitting and feel the power of each class.

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
just an idea...

she could get a crash coarse on the classes in a very fast pace on the Hidden Forest server. you can level up to 30 in 1 sitting and feel the power of each class.

I was thinking about something like that, but having never played an EMU before, I wasn't sure how much of a hassle it would be going to another server after already setting the client up for this one....Can you just go back and forth or do you have to patch files etc for each one? If it's easy I might go mess around with something else while she's at work. :)

I'll definately ask her if that's something she would be into...I have a feeling she's probably going to want to just dive in and learn the old fashioned way, though.

Dantes
04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
No disrespect intended, but please spare me.

I'm all for a challenge and as up for "exploring and finding out" as anyone, but when we are talking about extensively complex quests that include lengthy camps, factioning, etc., particularly those involving groups and possibly raids (like many found in, say, God or OoW) knowing what is going on is essential. There is only one word that describes someone who would waste others' time by not doing due research on a quest or mob, or looting gear that is only marginally better than the next upgrade they might get because they didn't know what they were looking for, etc etc: Rude. Plain and simple.

And not to be argumentative, but when was this "Back in the day..." exactly? In UO? I started EQ a couple weeks after release and there were already loads of spoilers and item lists available...took a break that summer, and when I got back a couple months later Allas had pretty much every quest and item up....this was 3-4 months after release, maybe 5...That time period represents 3% of the entire life of a wonderful game...and about 1/4 of the time period that this server will be encompasing. Let's not allow our sense of nostalgia for the old days steer us into revising history, eh?

You might also consider that having detailed spoiler info available was, at a point, taken into account by the devs and allowed them the luxury of providing us with much deeper content than they would have otherwise.

I'm just trying to get back up to speed with the game and resources that support it after having been gone for 3 years. The purist sentiment is appreciated (and, in the proper context, I would probably join you), but really not warranted or necessary in this discussion.

Back in the day would have been launch day for me. And of course the spoiler sites came out quickly but not everybody went rushing to go look at them. Isn't that why we call them spoilers? I haven't played the game for 10 years - it's kind of refreshing to have no idea what I'm doing again. The unknown is the fun part, that was my only point.

I am not suggesting one should go out and start an Epic Weapon quest and involve their whole guild having no clue what to do or where to start, that would be just plain stupid. Of course it would be fun if we were all experiencing it for the first time and nobody else had done it before, but unfortunately that doesn't exist anymore in this game.

When it comes to wasting time, I think we're all wasting time in the first place by playing the game at all :)

Weekapaug
04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Back in the day would have been launch day for me. And of course the spoiler sites came out quickly but not everybody went rushing to go look at them. Isn't that why we call them spoilers? I haven't played the game for 10 years - it's kind of refreshing to have no idea what I'm doing again. The unknown is the fun part, that was my only point.

I am not suggesting one should go out and start an Epic Weapon quest and involve their whole guild having no clue what to do or where to start, that would be just plain stupid. Of course it would be fun if we were all experiencing it for the first time and nobody else had done it before, but unfortunately that doesn't exist anymore in this game.

When it comes to wasting time, I think we're all wasting time in the first place by playing the game at all :)

True enough, and I can appreciate that, for sure.

But nostalgic for that time as I may be, I seriously doubt I'll be spending a week at level 6 fishing for cash for a set of storebought leather armor like I did at the time lol, when I already know from experience that incredibly bigger and better things await. I agree...try as we may, not all of us can put the toothpaste back in the tube, especially after playing probably 20+ toons through pretty much every area of the old world over an 11 year period (with about 4 years worth of breaks, maybe 5 tops). I already constitute a human spoiler for my GF anyway, so I might as well make sure I have my info correct.

Like I said, I don't disagree...alt all really, but my main concern right now is just getting up to speed and having resources available when they are needed. My GF is a total noob and we don't always have the same free times, so I want to be sure to maximize the time we do have actually playing rather than figuring out what the website situation is when help is needed....and eventually it will be, without a doubt.

Cheers!

Aedin
04-30-2010, 10:55 PM
War/cleric would be great but you got to remeber that wars cant hold aggro at all in Classic until they get up in lvls and get some good procing weapons. If you manage to get end game tho and start raiding you will be set. I play a cleric and finding a good tank is normaly the hardest part of putting a group together on the server. And there tend to be lots of paly/sk tanks just because warrior is so difficult for those first 30 lvls. Anyway have fun ive loved this server since I started. Remeber tho that Class/Race exp pens are in effect! O and DE clerics get a snare clickly just alittle fact to remeber ;)

Ginge,
Cleric of 31 seasons

Isn't the snare clicky for all cleric followers of Innoruk?

Quick google search, and nevermind. The snare clicky was for DEs only.

http://www.eqclerics.org/wiki/index.php/Quests

But, the item description reads useable races as HUM, DE, TRL

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254

stormlord
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Ginge,
Cleric of 31 seasons

Difficult? I'd say boring. I've tried one, but it's too straightforward for me. I think the whole warrior thing would have been funner with more skills or something. Ranger (or even rogue), by comparison, is fun as hell. There's a reason i played a ranger in 1999 and continued to play one. They're fun with lots of tools and tricks.

You say they can't hold aggro, but you miss a few things. First off, they can hold aggro better than a bard or rogue or some other melee classes. That is to be expected. I've seen them hold aggro, and they generally do a good job. Rogues and other dps classes just have to manage their aggro by giving the tank some time. The key is to have a balanced group, which sometimes can be hard to find. Worst case scenario, you got twinked rogue and a warrior with a rusty weapon. A dps class has to float between the warrior's dps and his taunt.

Weekapaug
05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Good rogue should know how to deal with that.

Weekapaug
05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
So, just wanted to thank everybody for answering my questions, the welcomes, and the discussion. We are both really stoked about playing here. We are going to try out a bard/druid combo to start, while she gets familiar with the game and mechanics, etc. My bard's name is, of course, Weekapaug and her druid is named Tela. If any of you guys see us around, give us a shout!

One last question, though....

From experience, for those who have gotten IP Exemptions in the past, how long did it take to get them approved? I posted in the appropriate forum with the info requested around noon yesterday and I never heard anything. Is it possible to do it wrong, somehow? Or do they just take a while.

I realize things probably take a while on servers like this, but we live together and are totally dead in the water until this gets done. We sat around reading the boards last night again, but when she gets off work in half an hour we want to game. Dying to play this, but should we just go find something else to do until we hear something? Do they notify you when those get approved?

Help?

Virtuosos
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
about a week. depends on if they wanna do it or not =p

Weekapaug
05-01-2010, 03:56 PM
about a week. depends on if they wanna do it or not =p

No shit? Ugg.

We might be finding another server or game then. :(

Guess I should stop checking every 20 mins lol

Tudana
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
heh go hang at THF to burn some time you can have 3 accts each there with bots..:P

you wont know you have the 2nd IP unless you test logging both in, I got no notice it happened when i got mine for my wife..took about 2 days for me

Weekapaug
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Dev just hooked us up. :)

She supposedly was getting off work 5 mins ago....Tonight babygirl gets a tour of ole skoo EQ. :D

Thanks again for all the help, everybody. Seriously shout at us in game if you are the social sort...She's kind of tentative about playing a game where you HAVE to interact and deal with people, so cool people being friendly would go a long way to breaking the ice, for sure. Either way, thanks so much for all of the info and well wishes...It's been fun getting back up to speed after being gone for a while. Going to be even more fun actually playing. :)

Cheers!

Virtuosos
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
send me a tell, virtuosos, ill come dick around with you guys lol

read my "virtuosos is so cool post" and you'll see :p do it all the time

Weekapaug
05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Awesome, willdo. I just found out we have to goto dinner but will be on later. :)