PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Server playing

Mako Ruu
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I recently started to use EQ Emu.

I've been meaning to get back into the game for some time now. I never got a chance to get into the EQ craze not only because of the monthly fee, but because I could never have a computer powerful enough at the time to play it.

Now I've got my laptop and I've played a few servers (One of which I thought was silly..)

But anyways. My Question is: If I over write all the files to play Project 1999 servers, will I no longer be able to play the other EQ servers available on the list?

Or can I go back and forth freely.

Flunklesnarkin
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
That eqemu launcher thing can update files so you can swap between servers.

Danyelle
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
At least you're actually asking. Most people just assume then they end up on PEQ whining about how every spell has "Magician (255)" next to it. lol

No you will not. The files you overwrite here won't be compatible with other EQEmu servers. whenever you make a modification to ANYTHING in an EQ client it is highly recommended you make a backup of the files for exactly that purpose and also in case something fucks up. I keep folders with the default files as well as the server specific files and anytime i switch i copy the default ones in, overwrite, then copy the server's files in and overwrite to make sure everything is fully transitioned.

Also I would recommend if at all possible that you use SoD or Underfoot (preferable Underfoot) for any server that is NOT Project 1999, as the Titanium client is complete and utter shit.

Mako Ruu
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
At least you're actually asking. Most people just assume then they end up on PEQ whining about how every spell has "Magician (255)" next to it. lol

No you will not. The files you overwrite here won't be compatible with other EQEmu servers. whenever you make a modification to ANYTHING in an EQ client it is highly recommended you make a backup of the files for exactly that purpose and also in case something fucks up. I keep folders with the default files as well as the server specific files and anytime i switch i copy the default ones in, overwrite, then copy the server's files in and overwrite to make sure everything is fully transitioned.

Also I would recommend if at all possible that you use SoD or Underfoot (preferable Underfoot) for any server that is NOT Project 1999, as the Titanium client is complete and utter shit.

I wish I had known that before I spent eighteen dollars on the box copy.

Also; thank you for clearing this up for me. I did run into the other servers. And the hidden forest one was garbage. They had NPC's everywhere that could buff and max you out so hard. One guy did a quest where your meditate instantly jumped to 200.

I felt like it was cheating. I've never played EverQuest before today, so I really want the EverQuest feeling. But I was upset when I noticed that P99 doesn't have Frogloks... One race I really wanted to play as. XD

Any validity behind what Flunklesnarkin had to say?

Danyelle
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I wish I had known that before I spent eighteen dollars on the box copy.

Also; thank you for clearing this up for me. I did run into the other servers. And the hidden forest one was garbage. They had NPC's everywhere that could buff and max you out so hard. One guy did a quest where your meditate instantly jumped to 200.

I felt like it was cheating. I've never played EverQuest before today, so I really want the EverQuest feeling. But I was upset when I noticed that P99 doesn't have Frogloks... One race I really wanted to play as. XD

Any validity behind what Flunklesnarkin had to say?

Yes he's correct it does do that. Although (at least as of the last time I used it. I don't use it haha) it can only patch you're client if the server dev of said server uploaded it's files to the EQEmu patcher and I don't have a list off hand on who that is. I prefer to, and feel safer, just doing everything manually but that's just me lol. Flunkle is correct though.

And yeah not every server will be good. Tbh the only ones i can stand are P99, PEQ and Storm Haven. The only one i actually despise though is EZ server. If THF made you upset EZ server will make you want to kill kittens while dressed as a dwarf wearing a flower dress.

Mako Ruu
03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes he's correct it does do that. Although (at least as of the last time I used it. I don't use it haha) it can only patch you're client if the server dev of said server uploaded it's files to the EQEmu patcher and I don't have a list off hand on who that is. I prefer to, and feel safer, just doing everything manually but that's just me lol. Flunkle is correct though.

And yeah not every server will be good. Tbh the only ones i can stand are P99, PEQ and Storm Haven. The only one i actually despise though is EZ server. If THF made you upset EZ server will make you want to kill kittens while dressed as a dwarf wearing a flower dress.

Then I guess I'll just stick around for the P99 server. Cause I have no idea where to even start backing up the files. I'd just .rar the whole thing and hope for the best.

I really appreciate your help. I don't know what I'm going to play, though. Cause I had my heart set on a Froglok Paladin.

I just don't want to start alone.

Also, I didn't see PEQ or Storm Haven on the list that EQEmu brought up.

>Dwarf in a red dress. Not the worst mental image I've had.

Galanteer
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
eq is not installed in Windows like other programs. You may drag and drop as you please.

Simply copy your eq file to another location and use the second file for other servers like tgc. (you still have to ensure each file is correct for each server).

Have a separate shortcut for the other server.

Fultun
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
eq is not installed in Windows like other programs. You may drag and drop as you please.

Simply copy your eq file to another location and use the second file for other servers like tgc. (you still have to ensure each file is correct for each server).

Have a separate shortcut for the other server.

This is what I do, I have an Everquest folder, then I have another named EQ99 I copied from the original, that I played project 99 out of.

Kika Maslyaka
03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
THF make look easy on the newbies, but difficulty really builds up as you go past lev 50. Their raid content is fearsome ;)

stormlord
03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
"C:\Program Files\Sony\Project1999\eqgame.exe" patchme
"C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme

That's what I did.

1) Install the game to EverQuest folder (it does this by default).
2) Copy the EverQuest folder and paste in the same directory as the EverQuest folder
3) Rename the "Copy of EverQuest" folder to "Project1999"
4) Right-click the "Project1999" folder and click on "Create Shortcut"
5) Right-click the shortcut and click on properties
6) Add "C:\Program Files\Sony\Project1999\eqgame.exe" patchme to the target field
7) Now move this shortcut to the same location where your shortcut is for the original installation

If you're copying from a EverQuest folder that has already been changed for a specific server, you may not be able to get it to work even after installing the project 1999 setup files. In this case, you might have to do a re-install of titanium or you'll need to re-trace your steps so you can recover the files you backed up.

Mako Ruu
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Like an idiot, I just patched over everything and started playing on P99's servers.

But I couldn't find anyone or anything to do. I made an Ogre just because tank warriors are usually the easiest class to play in any MMO. But I couldn't find anyone so I gave up after searching for a few hours.

Kika Maslyaka
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
for first time player, tanks, specially warriors, will be a pain =)
also some races starting areas (specially ogres/trolls) are generally empty.

My suggestions to pick a solo friendly class for starters like Druid or Mage (or necro if you want to be evil). And chose a race that starts near populated areas - Human, Half Elf, Wood Elf, High Elf, Dark Elf, Gnome