PDA

View Full Version : Shammy levels 20 -23

nocookiesforme
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi all, it's been a while! I joined this server back around August and played for a couple of months, but then I dropped off for a while. Obviously though, you can never quit EQ; you can only ever take a break. So I'm back.

Anyway, I picked up where I left off, with a level 20 Shaman currently living in Firona Vie. Unfortunately, I've kinda hit a wall. I can solo dark blues with significant downtime - it takes like 40% of my mana, and I periodically need to rebuff - but that's VERY slow going. I know that once I hit 24, life will become infinitely easier due to Cannibalize. In the mean time, am I just doomed to sit as a back-up healer in groups for the next few levels? Or is there something I can do to make these levels go by more quickly?

Thanks, all!

briare
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
buy a poison wind censer and bash till you get a pet. my 2cp.

Servellious
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Try a place like unrest or najena so you get zem for hard earned kills. Sol a was hard but great exp at 23. As mentioned poison wind censor or bust

Sickle
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Are you trying to Root/Rot or do you Slow/Tank?

I found it was painfully slow to get to 24 as well, I just ended up grouping. I am now lv 25 and ripping mobs apart left and right. Regen/Canni and new Dot/DD is a god send.

nocookiesforme
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Root/Rot, mostly. Where'd you group, Sickle?

And I'd love that poison wind weapon, but I don't have anywhere close to the kind of plat to buy one. Are there any other high damage weapons that'd be available for a little cheaper?

Grozmok
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Too anti-social to group?

It's more efficient to group in EQ (if you can't quad/bard kite), besides back-up healer is pretty cake.

Shizzam
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
unrest is solid most mobs dont cast and you can get singles on the first floor fairly easily, plus its a straight run to the zone if you get in trouble

Sickle
03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I grouped up in SK killing aviaks and centaurs because I enjoy that zone. I recommend Unrest myself since there is a nice xp bonus, Just make sure you have a puller that knows what they are doing.

nocookiesforme
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
It's not that I don't <i>like</i> grouping - as you can see, I just asked Sickle where he was grouping at this level. The problem is that I find myself to be pretty useless in a group. If I main heal, I run out of mana after every pull; if I'm the back-up healer, I spend 80% of my time sitting, basically only standing to heal between fights and refresh buffs periodically. Maybe part of the problem is just that it's been a while since I got into a really <i>good</i> group that could handle bigger pulls. I dunno. Should I be hanging out in LOIO? Or should I head back to Unrest? The ZEM there is Bonkers, right?

Grozmok
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Unrest isn't bad, not sure about finding a group there though...

Lake Omen is great (unless you're me and you play late night)
I think some people still group in the Karanas?

DeathByCactus
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Stack AC/HP gear and slow/tank. HP = Mana. There are a few good guides that basically changed the way I geared and level. All you should be doing in groups is Buff the tank/the dps/buff the CLR (hp), slow the mob, melee/bash for spell interrupts. A shaman who slows mobs saves mana from healing tanks as you should be easier to heal up. You just need to be able to take a few hits. However, when needed I still throw out heals.

You might want to consider leaving FV for uGuk and soloing/grouping there. Then again, I did this on a necro, not my shaman. But I don't know whats in FV as I don't like lighty areas.

Weapon: Slime Coated Harpoon or Ebon war spear or umm Jade Chodikya prod, or ummmmmm deepwater spear.

Try looking up those in Ahungry.com and see if you can afford any. I think a few of them run for under 500p somewhere around 2-300pp.

EDIT: This is my first shammy, so, if I am told to be wrong by someone who has a lot more experience than my 14 levels + reading every guide I found on this forum.... well *shrug*, guess I'm wrong then.

aerah
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure I spent my 20s in Unrest backup healing. But as a backup healer you should also be slowing and debuffing, while also keeping up buffs. This should keep you active enough and using a good amount of mana. At 20, you have Walking Sleep, Malaise, and Disempower right? If you're short on things to do, use those. Or chain nuke.

Servellious
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
use slow and root and group in unrest, your groups will love you. when u catch aggro just root the mob and sit down. Works well in unrest because hte mobs dont flee

Galaa
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
which of this area has better loot which a low 20s can camp? Anyone knows?

Lake of Ill Omen
Unrest
Aviaks in SK

Galvatar
03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Dude forget about loot in your 20s, just get xp. You want either Unrest or Upper Guk IMHO, just grind those levels until 24 then your world opens up as a Shaman, and every circle of spells only gets better and better.

briare
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
if i were do do it over i would group in lake of ill omen for the twenties. there are always groups there and they are constantly looking for a shaman.

Grozmok
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
if i were do do it over i would group in lake of ill omen for the twenties. there are always groups there and they are constantly looking for a shaman.

This is true, but mostly on weekends as far as I can tell.

Swish
03-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah weekends everyone seems to jump on, LOIO can be a lonely and desolate place at times ;)

myxomatosii
03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
How much do these melee/slow rules change 40+?

I couldn't afford a decent wep like PWS or anything back when it would've served me well. Mostly doing root/rot pet<50 method when I can't or don't feel like grouping.

Whats the opinion on that?

Grozmok
03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
^

Your sig isn't big enough.

myxomatosii
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
^

Your sig isn't big enough.

If the size of my post is ever as big as my sig I consider it a failure. I like to keep content to a minimum and fluff at full tilt baby.

Goraith
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
he's compensating :-)

myxomatosii
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
he's compensating :-)

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Grozmok
03-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Oh.

Thoughtseize
03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I couldn't afford a decent wep like PWS or anything back when it would've served me well. Mostly doing root/rot pet<50 method when I can't or don't feel like grouping.

If you're a Troll your best bet is to aggro kite with the snare neck from the time you get a pet (34) until you can click JBB (46).

If you're not a Troll either slow/tank the mob yourself or slow the mob and have your pet tank it. Once you hit 46 make sure you can afford a JBB and then you pretty much just click it every 8 seconds for the rest of your life when soloing.

nocookiesforme
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
JBB?

falkun
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM
JBB (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Jaundiced_Bone_Bracer)?

ftfy

CBG
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Almost 18 Monk here, always on late nights. Name is Ceebeegee

phobus
03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
How much do these melee/slow rules change 40+?

My Shaman is 40, and has been using the PWC since his teens. If anything, it's only gotten better as I've leveled, thanks to the better slows and increasing damage bonuses. I finally got around to parsing my fights the other day and found that I'm easily out-damaging my pet even if I root and back off to med for a third of the fight or so. This is using just Scourge on top of my and my pet's melee DPS.

If you're 41 now, I'd probably pass on it as you won't want to use it once you hit 50 and it procs. At the same time, though, you don't want your melee skills to languish. So if you haven't been keeping them maxed, you may want to work on them now anyway.

Sickle
03-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Just dinged lv 29. Can anyone recommend a place for the 30s to solo? I am sick of SK and looking for a new foe to bash

Servellious
03-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Just dinged lv 29. Can anyone recommend a place for the 30s to solo? I am sick of SK and looking for a new foe to bash

im doing HKK myself

Galaa
03-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Anyone knows which area in LoIO will be good for a lv22 druid to solo?

Sarnak tower?

Grozmok
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Giants in Frontier Mountains?

falkun
03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Why recommend zones without ZEMs? Isn't Mistmoore like 20-30s? Get into dungeons, they have higher ZEMs than outdoors.