PDA

View Full Version : Melee Casting Questions

Ikonoclastia
03-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Hi, been doing some searching of posts but unable to find the correct info:

Prior to velious, casting during swings would reset swing timer, however from researching here that was not implemented when this server first came up and swings would wait till straight after casting finished and not result in a swing loss? Is that still the case?

If so, and swings don't reset, if my weapon has a delay of 24 and my spell has a cast time of 1.8 how do I figure out if it'll fit between swings, or is 1.8 1.8 seconds and 24 2.4 seconds?

I'm thinking of getting rid of this silver swiftblade and getting something much slower so should I give up casting until I do that?

Apologies if this is basic common knowledge, I only had one melee on live and I twinked and PL her so no idea about melee.

Thanks

falkun
03-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Delay and /pause are measured in 1/10 of a second. So a 24DLY weapon will swing every 2.4 seconds (excluding double attacks, failed Dual Wield checks, and haste). Cast times are listed in seconds, so 1.8sec is 1.8sec (excluding spell haste, which I believe was not implemented until Luclin).

webrunner5
03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
I believe Falcun is right. So you ought to be able to cast and melee. I think the orignial idea with Rangers overall was to snare a mob and shoot arrows all day at them. Don't work too well until AA's came out. Between getting stunned and the mobs beating the snot out of you it is a hard row to hoe as a Ranger.

Maybe you need to give up playing a Ranger lol. Your misery has not even begun yet. I have started and stopped playing mine about 10 times on here.
Playing a Ranger on here is like a sharp stick in the eye.

Ikonoclastia
03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks very much, that helps. I found a post in bug forums where somebody was interested in having the casting / melee system work like in classic (resets the melee timer on spell cast) as it was working like post luclin or velious (timer keeps running). Was that corrected?

Lol yeah, I actually like Ranger so far but only level 17. I just have to farm some valuable items and get some great gear to make up for my shortfallings :)

Messianic
03-15-2012, 09:34 AM
In playing a ranger here, i've noticed that often immediately after you finish casting something, your swing will go through. So I don't think casting resets your attack delay timer.

Swiftblade is basically the best weapon you'll be able to get until 20.

After 20, go Swarmcaller/Woodsman's Staff.

After 35/40 or so (when main hand weapon dmg starts to build), lupine dagger, lam, or comparable.

Thoughtseize
03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Swiftblade is basically the best weapon you'll be able to get until 20.

After 20, go Woodsman's Staff.

After 45, proc Lupine Dagger then switch back to Woodsman's Staff.

ftfy

Eldaran
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
On my paladin with a Dwarven 2 hand battleaxe I can consistently swing, cast a minor heal on myself or a party member, and have my next axe hit come next. Casting a spell does not seem to reset my swing timer at all, but sometimes I can mess up and cast too close to the next swing and i have to wait until the next round to swing my weapon again.

Messianic
03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
ftfy

Thanks ;)

Gotta keep 1hs/pierce up tho right? :p