PDA

View Full Version : Clerics

CrowsNest
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Lookin to find best class to start up on this server had a thread about which class to go with and i went with cleric but i saw a thread about classes on the server and seems clerics are everywhere. If i was to go with cleric would it be difficult to group later on seeing how there are many playing on the server already? I know there is a decent population but 60 high level clerics is alot on a 700 pop server

Slave
03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
If you are a cleric, you will be in high demand for groups later. It is one of the holy trinity, and in fact the only one that cannot be easily replaced by another class.

Daldaen
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Until Luclin when druids get a pseudo CHeal... :(.

Flunklesnarkin
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
yah cleric is easy to get invites..

even if you wear a bear hide jerkin till level 55 >_>

ArumTP
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Only when there is 1 in 6 players are clerics will there will be anywhere near too many clerics.

Flunklesnarkin
03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Its levels 1~20 that there are a ton of clerics

After that most people can't stand the sitting around healing others.

Scavrefamn
03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I've noticed a lot of clerics are girls.

Holey
03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Its levels 1~20 that there are a ton of clerics

After that most people can't stand the sitting around healing others.

i got bored at 56 LOL ( igot bored of the hard core grind i did when kunark came out)

Flunklesnarkin
03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Main reason im trying to finish my cleric before i do another class

Doing something more involved would probably make going back to grinding cleric horrible.

Once its 60 tho no more grind ;p

oh and ding 57 ;o

Swish
03-17-2012, 08:00 PM
At 24 I struggle to get a group with my cleric, MM demands higher clerics, Unrest demands a fireplace group and there isn't always one going. Failing that, where do you go? LOIO? I hear its a "weekend only" establishment ;)

The problem with so many low level clerics is, there isn't enough room for all clerics that play the low levels :(

Flunklesnarkin
03-17-2012, 08:21 PM
When i was going up it seemed there were too many clerics so i soloed 28~34

Ephirith
03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
At 24 I struggle to get a group with my cleric, MM demands higher clerics, Unrest demands a fireplace group and there isn't always one going. Failing that, where do you go? LOIO? I hear its a "weekend only" establishment ;)

The problem with so many low level clerics is, there isn't enough room for all clerics that play the low levels :(

You're a great level to do pond in MM, but that isn't always open. I had the same problem... "Well Pond doesn't need a tank atm... now what?" I'd usually talk to the people and go solo in unrest until a spot opened up in MM. Alternatively, you can put your own group together for anywhere you want. You might be surprised how many people are willing to pick up and go somewhere, and you're in a fabulous position as cleric to make a group-- you form the core of it.

CrowsNest
03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
How are wizards fairing?

Verenity
03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
How are wizards fairing?
Grouping-wise? Dismal as always I'm afraid. People simply have an unnatural hatred to wizards in their groups due to their sporadic DPS. Most groups prefer melee DPS or mage/necros if needed due to having a constant DPS output.

Swish
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Dismal as always I'm afraid. People simply have an unnatural hatred to wizards in their groups due to their sporadic DPS. Most groups prefer melee DPS or mage/necros if needed due to having a constant DPS output.

Unfortunately the few wizards I group with out there tend to be the types who burn their mana pool and afk for 3 minutes at a time - better to chip in 2 nukes a mob and make an attempt to keep the dps regular.

Also, why nuke a mob that's on 3% health with your biggest nuke? Good wizards are hard to come by :P

Slave
03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Grouping-wise? Dismal as always I'm afraid. People simply have an unnatural hatred to wizards in their groups due to their sporadic DPS.

"Sporadic DPS" is not as accurate a description as "lower DPS than a meleeing Shaman." So you see, people have a very NATURAL hatred of Wizards, because in an experience group, they are simply the very worst class you can possibly have.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't imagine a wizard would solo all that bad though.

They get root, shadowstep, damage shields, and some powerful nukes.

Just don't expect it to be as fast as another class lol.

kill something.. then med like 5~10 mins.. have a video or something in the background you can tab out too ;p

Slave
03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I can't imagine a wizard would solo all that bad though.

They get root, shadowstep, damage shields, and some powerful nukes.

Just don't expect it to be as fast as another class lol.

kill something.. then med like 5~10 mins.. have a video or something in the background you can tab out too ;p

Their solo power comes from AoE snare line + AoE damage lines which gives them the ability to quad in spectacular fashion, making them one of the top 4-5 solo classes. They are also stupendous in raids up to Velious, where no mob has more than 32,000 hps.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
ahh didn't even think of that.. jboots work or they just burn the sow potions?

Slave
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
ahh didn't even think of that.. jboots work or they just burn the sow potions?

Jboots are great for Wizards. It's one of about two or three pieces of gear they really need. The others being Staff of Temperate Flux (which is more of a class perk than anything), and I left a slot open in case there was one I forgot. :)

Apart from that, all they really need is enough int/mana gear to finish off their quad. That makes the soloing Wizard the class who can put mana gear to best use. The other classes don't require nearly as much to be effective. Druids can use a fungi/regeneration/manastone combination or Luminescent Staff to help their quads.

Nagash
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Until Luclin when druids get a pseudo CHeal... :(.

Luclin will never hit this server as the plan is to stop at Velious.

Grozmok
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
To anyone playing a cleric, I personally salute you.

I have to be honest here, when I'm in a group and there is a cleric or one joins, I almost always let out a sigh of relief.

So, to levels 1-60 and even those that quit, I thank you for those times we did group and the heals that I received.

/salute

Grozmok
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Also, thanks for the rezzes and those times you cancelled the trade when I offered a platinum donation.

<3

Swish
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Grozmok just gave my cleric a 2nd chance - I was all down and depressed about playing him, maybe looking ahead there is hope ;)

Sickle
03-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Clerics are always in need. Go cleric and be prepared to get hounding tells for a group

Flunklesnarkin
03-20-2012, 03:01 AM
So man clerics /anon or /role because of that lol

I don't like to /anon or /role i should save my chatlog one day to see the amount of tells you get lol.

webrunner5
03-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Large race Tanks almost always need a Cleric in a group to heal. They just have too many HP for a Shaman or Druid to heal good enough to keep up.

I have been on and off on my Cleric. It is still very hard to loot enough goodies to pay for the spells. It is on average a thankless class, but you can have a lot of pride playing one knowing that no one died and the group went pretty smoothly.

phobus
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
No matter how many HP you have, you'll lose them at about the same rate fighting the same mobs (assuming your gear is comparable).

Nanolian
03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Over 700 HP pal, at level 16. I love clerics.

Grozmok
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Over 700 HP pal, at level 16. I love clerics.

Did you post this to thank clerics or brag about how many HP your twinked level 16 paladin has?

:rolleyes:

Nanolian
03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you post this to thank clerics or brag about how many HP your twinked level 16 paladin has?

:rolleyes:

Lol, to thank clerics. Without one I'm always waiting to recover HPs cuz the druid cant keep up.

Grozmok
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Lol, to thank clerics. Without one I'm always waiting to recover HPs cuz the druid cant keep up.

What's your Paladin's name?

Eldaran
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Cleric is still my favorite class but I'm having a hard time wanting to play him right now until I can get my druid to level 19 for ports so I can help my brothers Monk get around whenever he needs to. After that I will most likely go back to my Cleric.

leezard
03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Cleric is still my favorite class but I'm having a hard time wanting to play him right now until I can get my druid to level 19 for ports so I can help my brothers Monk get around whenever he needs to. After that I will most likely go back to my Cleric.

Might wanna shoot for 29 neighbor, 19 and 24 ports are self iirc

And clerics are cool.. As long as I'm not playing them. I have tried and never get past lvl 4. Mad props to those who can stay with it

Nagash
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM

And clerics are cool.. As long as I'm not playing them. I have tried and never get past lvl 4. Mad props to those who can stay with it

Hats off mate, I'm in the same boat as you: I Love them to bits but never managed to get one past level 2.

Eldaran
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM

DOH! you are right. My bad!

Eldaran
03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Man... now I want to go home and play my Cleric instead of my Druid lol.

Nanolian
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
What's your Paladin's name?

Nanolian. Lol.

Grozmok
03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Nanolian.
I'm always waiting to recover HPs cuz the druid cant keep up.

Good to know, I'll be sure NOT to heal you when I'm healing a group on my Shaman.

:)

Nanolian
03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Good to know, I'll be sure NOT to heal you when I'm healing a group on my Shaman.

:)

That's just cruel lol.

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I've always said this, but Necro + Shaman is a much more effective combo to fill a clerics role. To be fair this is assuming that there's a good enc or the puller is really good at pulling solo...

tristantio
03-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Nec with COS can pull pretty good, anything short of undead is cake to split.

erog84
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
I've always said this, but Necro + Shaman is a much more effective combo to fill a clerics role. To be fair this is assuming that there's a good enc or the puller is really good at pulling solo...

Perhaps at lower level, but try healing a fully buffed, well geared tank with spamming sup heals.... or if lets say you are in a lvl 45-50 group and the shaman is still sporting greater healing. Complete Heal is arguably the best spell in the game (SOW is a close second!).

But I find high level groups are easy to find on a cleric. I stripped my 52 cleric awhile back, and I logged in to rez someone and get a request within 3 minutes for a seb group. My response was " sure if you want a 80% naked cleric! ", thinking they would tell me they would find someone else.... nope.. their response was " as long as you know how to cast CH, come on down! ".

webrunner5
03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
But I find high level groups are easy to find on a cleric. I stripped my 52 cleric awhile back, and I logged in to rez someone and get a request within 3 minutes for a seb group. My response was " sure if you want a 80% naked cleric! ", thinking they would tell me they would find someone else.... nope.. their response was " as long as you know how to cast CH, come on down! ".[/QUOTE]

Now thats funny.

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep in an exp group.. once buffs are done.. you mana pool size doesn't mean a whole lot.

you aren't using mana in spikes like in a raid.

It's about sustained usage / recovery.

As long as the group isn't pulling a train every pull you don't need a huge mana pool.. just as long as you can recover mana faster than you spend it.

Eldaran
03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
This thread made me start playing my Cleric again. I missed him. Thanks guys!

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Nec with COS can pull pretty good, anything short of undead is cake to split.

I still want to see this done.

I understand the FD part, but how does instant click invis help with splitting camps and shit?

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 04:18 PM
This thread made me start playing my Cleric again. I missed him. Thanks guys!

The 68% exp penalty troll shadow knights of the world appreciate it!

;)

tristantio
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I still want to see this done.

I understand the FD part, but how does instant click invis help with splitting camps and shit?

If I FD and use COS as I stand up the mobs will instantly forget about me (they'll keep pathing home or standing still).

If one of the mobs was dotted, as soon as the next tick hits he will come running at me (while I'm still invis) while his friends will continue to path back home.

So, if I want to quickly snag one of a few non-UD mobs (they see through COS invis) I can dot, immediately FD, immediately stand and use COS and run back to camp with only the dotted mob following (even if I use the trick while he is still directly next to his buddies, only the dot one will come).

Grozmok
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow, sounds like a lot of work.

I'm just lazy I guess.

HeallunRumblebelly
04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Their solo power comes from AoE snare line + AoE damage lines which gives them the ability to quad in spectacular fashion, making them one of the top 4-5 solo classes. They are also stupendous in raids up to Velious, where no mob has more than 32,000 hps.

Wizards get more mana regen, max mana, and bane lines in velious making them one of the few classes that can reliably land shit in velious targets. Not really that bad to have around on a velious target. Rogues with mrylokars / MHT and mnks with Abashi's of course notwithstanding, but once you've got those you're basically just looking to take down AoW (really the only hard target in velious)