PDA

View Full Version : Contest for Reporting 2boxers?

Mojoz_Mon
03-17-2012, 11:37 PM
So... Idea for sniffing out 2 boxers off some kinda cool reward for most reported and confirmed boxer accounts that would be kinda of a good idea

Handull
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
could make a GM item sorta like the cheaters earring, but for the good guy. though if anyone starts posting accusations publicly, they should be forum banned. we don't need to encourage stuff like this <http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68005&highlight=place+report>. heh

Diggles
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Snitches get.... presents?

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 12:58 AM
No snitching at all it helping the server out to keep people like these 2 boxers out... they can go play on ez server cause that what 2 boxing is..

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 12:59 AM
And no GM item needed I was talking like some kinda staff that shoots off fire works for me lol

Sickle
03-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Seems like they are doing a good job if they have gotten 30 accounts this week. Some people are just dumb and make it blatantly obvious I guess.

Duck hunt FTW

Daldaen
03-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Meh you all hate on boxing for no reason.

Darwoth
03-18-2012, 04:08 AM
in the real world folks that cant mind their own business and in turn go needlessly fucking with others are called things like busybodies, snitches and so on. they are also frequently found after being shot in the face.

if only more of the real world was able to transcend to the virtual one.

Ikonoclastia
03-18-2012, 04:13 AM
in the real world folks that cant mind their own business and in turn go needlessly fucking with others are called things like busybodies, snitches and so on. they are also frequently found after being shot in the face.

the above belief is only held by a subculture of the human race, generally referred to as fwits, these people often end up in prison or overdosed in an ally somewhere. Luckily most people are better then the above and don't think this way.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 04:14 AM

They are also frequently found in politics

telling us how to live our lives ;p

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 10:47 AM

AKA I am a 2 boxer

And this is Everquest bro... Not the Hood?

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 10:49 AM
And this wasn't supost to be a indepth search you soul for a answer ... this is if you a 2 boxer your a anal spasm and you need to be banned be a real player and group up anyone can 2 box to 60 and get uber loots its not hard if you wanna 2 box go to live it is free also!

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Anyways my rage is dumped bro... I hate 2 boxers =) Good day and this will be the end of posts of this fourm

Amelinda
03-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't think we necessarily need a contest for this. I think maybe people just need to stop boxing. period. Because.....It makes me sad to ban people for boxing. I got people in 3 major high end guilds this week. Got a few lower level players also.

The people i caught in higher guilds were either power leveling in OOT or tracking.

It's sad that even some VERY established players were busted. Because they feel it is "Not a big deal."

It's a huge deal. Some folks think they are going to get lenience for boxing. I don't give that. I don't have any sympathy for it. If you are caught, it sucks to be you. It's a perma ban. PERMA BAN. PERMA BAN.

Sure. you can appeal it after 4 months. and I might unban one of your accounts. But is it worth it to lose 4 months playing on one account AND an entire other account?

After I announced last night that I was hunting boxers I busted 6 more. Do what you choose but it's not worth the risk.

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Na 2 boxing of chumps like brother who would dig though the cerial box for the gd prize before I woke up.. lol Plus Amelinda gives the best PL's :P *snicker*

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Na 2 boxing of chumps like brother who would dig though the cerial box for the gd prize before I woke up.. lol Plus Amelinda gives the best PL's :P *snicker*

And for for all you peeps who take this fourm to heart No she has never acually PL'ed me lol.. I just like to talk crap! :D

Timpl
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
And this wasn't supost to be a indepth search you soul for a answer ... this is if you a 2 boxer your a anal spasm and you need to be banned be a real player and group up anyone can 2 box to 60 and get uber loots its not hard if you wanna 2 box go to live it is free also!

So are you this against paying pp for powerlvling? Because isn't it same thing really? Allowing advertising of buying accounts and powerlvling destroys groups just same as 2-boxing.

Timpl
03-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think we necessarily need a contest for this. I think maybe people just need to stop boxing. period. Because.....It makes me sad to ban people for boxing. I got people in 3 major high end guilds this week. Got a few lower level players also.

The people i caught in higher guilds were either power leveling in OOT or tracking.

It's sad that even some VERY established players were busted. Because they feel it is "Not a big deal."

It's a huge deal. Some folks think they are going to get lenience for boxing. I don't give that. I don't have any sympathy for it. If you are caught, it sucks to be you. It's a perma ban. PERMA BAN. PERMA BAN.

Sure. you can appeal it after 4 months. and I might unban one of your accounts. But is it worth it to lose 4 months playing on one account AND an entire other account?

After I announced last night that I was hunting boxers I busted 6 more. Do what you choose but it's not worth the risk.

If 2boxing is bad because of fact it discourages grouping, why is buying and selling of already lvled accounts allowed. And even more damaging to groups is paid powerlvling that totaly ruins groups. So maybe time to get rid of this stuff also.

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
No ever close to the same thing bud... Buying power leveling a person making money is following you.. Not 2 boxing at all and the be honest most peeps that can afford to pay for powerleveling are not going to group with you anyways.. .. and Selling accounts that is a whatever if somone wants to sell their toon that is their choice..

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
If 2boxing is bad because of fact it discourages grouping, why is buying and selling of already lvled accounts allowed. And even more damaging to groups is paid powerlvling that totaly ruins groups. So maybe time to get rid of this stuff also.

And how is selling a pre leveled toon destroying groups.. They are already leveled.. and in the place to do high lvl stuff? Or I just not understanding?

Timpl
03-18-2012, 11:32 AM
No ever close to the same thing bud... Buying power leveling a person making money is following you.. Not 2 boxing at all and the be honest most peeps that can afford to pay for powerleveling are not going to group with you anyways.. .. and Selling accounts that is a whatever if somone wants to sell their toon that is their choice..

So can you explain to me how it is so much worse for 1 person to be sitting at 1 camp in a zone playing 2 toons, than it is for a lvl60 monk to power level 1 person and pull every spawn in zone so noone else can get any mobs? I really can't see how either is good for server, except for fact that some people just have this odd view over two boxing.

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Pretty much it comes down to everthing that doesn't benifit everyone is bad.. Everquest is the biggest double bladed sword ever.. All I am saying is Powerleveling is way diffrent the 2 Boxing.. and I have had power levelers empty zones on me before.. it is one of those bummer moments move and and find a diffrent place... EQ Is huge bud even if you have to kill spiders in Nro just tough it out

Just sayin 2 boxers are lamers... And you need to man up and just quit and give you all your stuff.. Just sayin

Sickle
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
This is a matter of breaking the established server rules.

FWIW, I find 2 boxing to be super lame and couldn't be happier by the broadcast by Amelinda last night.

Keep up the goodwork!

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
And if you want bud when I get my druid levled up I will come PL you and we can empty zones Powerleveling one of your toons

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 11:46 AM
This is a matter of breaking the established server rules.

FWIW, I find 2 boxing to be super lame and couldn't be happier by the broadcast by Amelinda last night.

Keep up the goodwork!

Agreed... She is finding 2boxers like crazy.. lol.. her 6th sence... I see 2boxers...

maahes
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
This is retarded. It will start a witch hunt. How would anyone know if they are 2-boxing?

maahes
03-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Rules are rules and they do need to be enforced. But I am very curious. How can you be 100% with out a doubt sure that someone is dual boxing? The fact is you can't, and that is a little scary.

Scavrefamn
03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Rules are rules and they do need to be enforced. But I am very curious. How can you be 100% with out a doubt sure that someone is dual boxing? The fact is you can't, and that is a little scary.

Sounds like Two-Boxer talk to me!

Get on the rack sir.

Swish
03-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Rules are rules and they do need to be enforced.

Rasah
03-18-2012, 01:01 PM
So can you explain to me how it is so much worse for 1 person to be sitting at 1 camp in a zone playing 2 toons, than it is for a lvl60 monk to power level 1 person and pull every spawn in zone so noone else can get any mobs? I really can't see how either is good for server, except for fact that some people just have this odd view over two boxing.
This game is about choices. Give people the ability to not have to make the choice, and it's worse for everyone.

Want to track for your guild? You can, but you can't play your own character. That's a sacrifice. If you can 2-box, then you don't have to alter your play schedule at all, just leave the tracker up.

The jboots camp sure is easy, right? Why not do it all the time? Because it's boring, right? Just 2-box, and you can keep AC on lockdown without altering your play.

Want Hadden? No big deal if you can 2-box.

Repeat ad nausem.

Boxing is not only about powerlevelling characters. It's about keeping long camps on lockdown where the only downside is boredom.

legider
03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I believe that we all appreciate your efforts to improve the quality of this server. You are going about out in a too extreme of nature. This is creating a general fear in the community that will only harm the server in the end. Thirty-six accounts in a single week is quite a lot, and you are reaching a point where false-positives are becoming ever more likely. You start banning the wrong people, and the whole house will crumble.

I know of couples now who play, that are now concerned that they are going to be seen as boxers simply because they are enjoying each other's company. Many players do not just sit at their computers every second that they are logged in. My girlfriend and I often play with one another and she or I will AFK while the other handles a camp as we take on real-life tasks. This is completely legitimate play, but unless we are both at the keyboard to respond to a passer-by, we are venomously accused of being dual-boxers.

I am not saying allow boxing, but I think the current actions need be tempered. A single strong warning with a flag on an account and at least let the person explain themselves. After that any infractions are a perma-ban offense. I know the GM's time is all volunteered, but there are still restrictions that need to be followed as the power is great.

I post this as I am deeply concerned for the future well-being of Project1999. I love this server.

maahes
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I believe that we all appreciate your efforts to improve the quality of this server. You are going about out in a too extreme of nature. This is creating a general fear in the community that will only harm the server in the end. Thirty-six accounts in a single week is quite a lot, and you are reaching a point where false-positives are becoming ever more likely. You start banning the wrong people, and the whole house will crumble.

I know of couples now who play, that are now concerned that they are going to be seen as boxers simply because they are enjoying each other's company. Many players do not just sit at their computers every second that they are logged in. My girlfriend and I often play with one another and she or I will AFK while the other handles a camp as we take on real-life tasks. This is completely legitimate play, but unless we are both at the keyboard to respond to a passer-by, we are venomously accused of being dual-boxers.

I am not saying allow boxing, but I think the current actions need be tempered. A single strong warning with a flag on an account and at least let the person explain themselves. After that any infractions are a perma-ban offense. I know the GM's time is all volunteered, but there are still restrictions that need to be followed as the power is great.

I post this as I am deeply concerned for the future well-being of Project1999. I love this server.

Exactly. I really hope the Admins read this post.

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Now see I really didn't mean for this to get out of control for reals.. it was kinda started off as joke... I just get bummed at times with no groups to be honest lol.. I def. don't 2 box lol I don't have a toon over 40 :P it would be really lame for your friends to get banned but Amelinda is a cool person she wouldn't just ban on a quick oh 2 toons are there and they are always with eachother... I am sure she does abit of research before smashing with ban hammer... lol sorry this post was taken out of context... I should of though twice about it =P

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
This game is about choices. Give people the ability to not have to make the choice, and it's worse for everyone.

Want to track for your guild? You can, but you can't play your own character. That's a sacrifice. If you can 2-box, then you don't have to alter your play schedule at all, just leave the tracker up.

The jboots camp sure is easy, right? Why not do it all the time? Because it's boring, right? Just 2-box, and you can keep AC on lockdown without altering your play.

Want Hadden? No big deal if you can 2-box.

Repeat ad nausem.

Boxing is not only about powerlevelling characters. It's about keeping long camps on lockdown where the only downside is boredom.

Ya but that is bunk to have a tracker on a camp waiting for somthing you should have to give up you xp / other loot hunts to wait on a mob.. We all done it and it just makes it that more epic when ZOMFG... I just got my epic after 02394i023948203984023984 hours and you stand up and do the stupid nerd dance that all peeps do on these games when you get epic loots =) my dance kinda looks like the Truffle Shuffle with a slight tarded mode to it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5whaRkuipU
( good stuff )

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
It's probably harder on people with IP exemptions because they always have the temptation.

"Oh man I'm dead... I'll just log on my wifes character rq and go rez / buff my group"

or

"It's just one quick teleport nobody will know"

I bet more people get hit for that than "AFK" boxing

It's probably pretty obvious too... have one character that is only ever at a money / dragon camp and never moves (and its the same IP as another character that is moving)

It's like "naw dude, thats my girlfriend... she really really likes to camp dragons" >_>

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Lol Flunk.. Ya that is kinda what I thinking I mean it seems pretty seldom that I acually run into people that I see 2boxing... I am sure most of it is camps for dragons/items/quests or EC lol ... gf really likes camping dragons that good

timoris
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM

So PERMABAN = 4 months ban?

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Rasah
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Ya but that is bunk to have a tracker on a camp waiting for somthing you should have to give up you xp / other loot hunts to wait on a mob..
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am firmly in agreement that boxing ruins the server, and I was providing reasons why that are not related to powerlevelling.

Lifesbane
03-18-2012, 06:12 PM

This...

Just happened to my wife and I last night. She was helping me lvl in OOT to in turn allow me to help PL her (I'm a nec, shes a cleric). One second everything is going fine, next moment we both have black screens saying we are banned. We were just discussing too moments prior when Amelinda announced she was searching for 2 boxers that what we are doing will probably look like boxing so we were waiting for any tell or message if we were ever accused, but none such message came and the wrath of Amelinda is swifter than words can be typed (My ulnar nerve was severed recently so I'm not typing quick at all anyway.. but it is fast!) so I was not able to appeal any such decision. I hope such situations can be resolved, I really did enjoy my time that I invested into the character and was enjoying watching my wife and I level up together. Please at least send a message or observe closely before coming to conclusions. I know having the benefit of the doubt will let some bad apples through, but being overly zealous in your efforts will end up hurting more than helping :(

Deuces
03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
I doubt she would just instant ban you w/o giving you a chance to prove you werent boxing. My opinon is this isnt live ....if your upset about the boxing rule there are other servers to play on.

Ikonoclastia
03-18-2012, 06:34 PM

I have no fear becuz I dont cheat.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 06:39 PM
If you think you were wrongfully banned make a thread in the petition and exploit section.

Doubt talking about it out here in general discussion will make the mod's or GM's sympathetic to your case heh.

but like others have said... if the GM's or mods aren't being reasonable just go to a different server or game.

This isn't the only rodeo in town so to speak.

Timpl
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
If you think you were wrongfully banned make a thread in the petition and exploit section.

Doubt talking about it out here in general discussion will make the mod's or GM's sympathetic to your case heh.

but like others have said... if the GM's or mods aren't being reasonable just go to a different server or game.

This isn't the only rodeo in town so to speak.

Like saying if don't like rules in NFL go play in pee-wee league. Other servers logging in talk to npc you get epic for free. P99 is only game in town. If another ever comes out which is classic I am sure alot of people would go there if GM staff where better,

Scavrefamn
03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Like saying if don't like rules in NFL go play in pee-wee league. Other servers logging in talk to npc you get epic for free. P99 is only game in town. If another ever comes out which is classic I am sure alot of people would go there if GM staff where better,

You sure sound like you don't two box. You also sound like you respect and appreciate the GMs and their work!

:rolleyes:

I play with several family members and none of us are afraid of being banned for Two Boxing because none of us does it.

Do you like to two-box?
Go to one of the other servers. Sometimes people even encourage Two-Boxing, you can find people boxing their own groups as well, sounds like paradise for boxers.
I wonder why they insist on doing it the one place where it isn't allowed.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Naw.. basically saying if you feel the referee made a bad call.. don't go appealing to the crowd to riot.

Try using your instant replay to get the play reviewed.

If that don't work.. then i could understand a little appealing to the crowd ;p

Lifesbane
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks Funklesnarkin, I was not sure where to appeal.

I know there are other servers around but I think it can go without saying the community and spirit are what make a server. The community and spirit of P1999 is the embodiment of the classic EQ experience all of us here strive to relive once again. The folks around here, little as they know me (lurker status engage) are what makes this experience what it is for me.

I'm not sure what label or market managers at major publishers would call us, but you cannot find the competitiveness and concurrent teamwork that makes an Everquest server what it was back in old times anywhere else. Try and fail as they might, its the vision and beliefs the original developers put into the game that forged the synthesis of these behaviors. Progression servers that Sony is running are bastardized money grabs at our market and most of us see right through it. It was sticking to the original formula that breeds players that you find here, and I would not want it anyway else :)

Galelor
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
The Communists are everywhere!!!

Otur
03-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Without reading the entire thread, the idea reminds me of the "Report a neighbour" system at the Soviet used.
Let the GM's do their job instead of trying to "World Police" the game yourselves, and expect rewards for it. I'm pretty confident 9/10 "boxreports" made by players are just bollocks; "Oh shit there's this PL crew here, probably BOXXXRZ, ruining my expcamp" etc.

Slave
03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I have been extremely concerned about the way Amelinda has been spamming global with the results of her 2box hunting. For starters, it doesn't seem appropriate for the reasons others have already enumerated. Secondly, the time frame that was stated by Amelinda herself did not seem like enough time to properly vet even half the accounts she claims to have banned... leading to the obvious consequences.

It just seems pretty clear that this is becoming a case of overzealousness and greater care could easily be taken with something so serious, for the continuing health of the server.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I know people do watch out for boxers pretty heavily on the server.

A friend helped power level one of my alts to 16 (which doesn't take all that long) and i got a ton of tells to check and make sure i wasn't boxing lol

It doesn't bother me to have people check to make sure i'm playing legit

but at the same time somebody probably shouldn't even give the appearance of boxing. If you need to AFK a long time with an IP exemption.. might as well just log off.. the 30 second hassle of logging on and getting an invite back to group is better than being temporarily suspended.

I don't see anything wrong with broadcasting they are hunting for boxers. It lets people know that the rules are being enforced. Like when police departments publish crime statistics.

username1337
03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
This...

Just happened to my wife and I last night. She was helping me lvl in OOT to in turn allow me to help PL her (I'm a nec, shes a cleric). One second everything is going fine, next moment we both have black screens saying we are banned. We were just discussing too moments prior when Amelinda announced she was searching for 2 boxers that what we are doing will probably look like boxing so we were waiting for any tell or message if we were ever accused, but none such message came and the wrath of Amelinda is swifter than words can be typed (My ulnar nerve was severed recently so I'm not typing quick at all anyway.. but it is fast!) so I was not able to appeal any such decision. I hope such situations can be resolved, I really did enjoy my time that I invested into the character and was enjoying watching my wife and I level up together. Please at least send a message or observe closely before coming to conclusions. I know having the benefit of the doubt will let some bad apples through, but being overly zealous in your efforts will end up hurting more than helping :(

My brother and I were banned by Uthguaard under similar circumstances more than a year ago. When we tried to petition, Uthguaard provided no evidence and more or less dismissed our case and ignored us. We both decided to quit after discovering that GMs can make such arbitrary decisions with no accountability or evidence.

I came back after a number of months later but my brother decided there was just too much risk of losing your time investment with such reckless GMs.

From that experience I've discovered that the community here, on the whole, is not sympathetic to anybody who possess IP exemptions regardless of how much evidence they supply to the contrary - nobody cares. Further, I've discovered that GMs regularly check on people with IP exemptions for any suspicious behavior (without informing them upon granting the request) so any anecdotal evidence (such as one of you happening to be AFK) is grounds for a permanent ban. Even further, people with IP exemptions are expected not to perform behavior that, in any other circumstances, would be permissible. One such behavior is going AFK for extended periods (like upwards 5 minutes). In any normal circumstance, AFK-ing for 5 minutes while continuing to pull is commonplace, but for people with IP exemptions the expectation is to minimize this behavior as much as possible - else face ban.

When you combine an MMORPG which AFKing is commonplace given hours of gameplay, GMs with the power to ban without anything but self-proclaimed conclusive evidence, and a community who, on the whole, is suspicious of anybody and everybody, then you have a recipe for a disaster when it comes to catching true culprits of crimes.

Meanwhile, the real boxers are behind proxies. How do GMs catch these people?

I think what the real problem is that there is no thread informing people on what constitutes "suspicious" behavior and, without enumerating all cases, state examples of behavior that will be looked into. Only guilty people consider these cases to try and mask their behavior - meanwhile innocent people are just playing as they normally would, not thinking they need to purposely and meaningfully alter their behavior to "appear" they aren't boxing.

Just my 2cents.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Log off if you're going to AFK a long time.. simple enough... don't give them any reason at all to suspect you of boxing.

username1337
03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Log off if you're going to AFK a long time.. simple enough... don't give them any reason at all to suspect you of boxing.

While I'll admit it's simple enough - it's also annoying enough if you play this game casually and take 5-10min afks every hour or so. Aside from that factor, how are people supposed to know this is expected of them? There is no "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ REGARDING YOUR BEHAVIOR WITH IP EXEMPTION" document - the only way people can find out what not to do is to delve into these forums and purposely search for this information - most people wouldn't even think to do that.

I'll acknowledge that if that is what is required to prevent any suspicion so be it but it needs to be in a stickied thread to inform people what they should/should not do as only the guilty people really think long and hard about how not to get caught. This stickied thread should also be sent in the petition message upon granting the IP Exemption request and users should be told to pay attention to their behavior while playing together.

How hard would that be for devs/GMs to draft up?

Mojoz_Mon
03-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I have no fear becuz I dont cheat.

And the winner is lol sums this all up in one quick line! :)

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
And the winner is lol sums this all up in one quick line! :)

Only the naive think that innocence assures a lack of punishment.

Swish
03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
There is no "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ REGARDING YOUR BEHAVIOR WITH IP EXEMPTION" document - the only way people can find out what not to do is to delve into these forums and purposely search for this information - most people wouldn't even think to do that.

Surely to apply for an IP exemption that requires delving into the forums in any case? It's all here, people know not to box. If that wasn't enough I'm sure Amelinda's serverwide announcements are the icing on the cake.

A guide on "How to flout the system by avoiding this kind of behaviour" would be akin to teaching prisoners to be better criminals... I don't think anything needs to be written. How many ways do people need to be told that its not allowed? 100?

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
How many ways do people need to be told that its not allowed? 100?

You're missing the point.

He isn't saying that people think it's ok to box.

He's saying that there are people who ARE NOT BOXING who are getting banned because their normal playstyle, as friends/spouses who have an IP exemption, ends up looking "suspicious" to other players and GMs. And he's saying that these innocent players have basically no way to avoid these bans because the bans are swift and unilateral and based on only limited and circumstantial evidence that boxing MAY have been taking place and because there is nothing on the forum warning these players that they may very well be subject to one of these swift, unilateral, minimally supported, and somewhat unappealable bans, even though they aren't actually doing anything wrong, just because some people think it LOOKS like they're doing something wrong.

Zomg.

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 10:27 PM
And lord knows there is probably no sort of compensation to wrongly-banned people, assuming they get the ban reversed and still even have the desire to play on the server.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
And lord knows there is probably no sort of compensation to wrongly-banned people, assuming they get the ban reversed and still even have the desire to play on the server.

I do agree it sucks if you are wrongfully banned... but why in the world would they deserve compensation?

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
but why in the world would they deserve compensation?

Isn't it pretty plain?

Consider this: a server crash is an event that is entirely out of the control of the GMs. But when the server crashes and people die, whether because they die at the moment of the crash or because they die when they log back in in a nasty spot when the server comes back up, the GMs offer rezzes. I.e. they compensate innocent players who suffered because of an event that was not the fault of the players OR the GMs.

Compare ^ to -> a wrongful ban is an event that is caused entirely by a GM purposefully typing in some command or clicking some button or whatever, which almost certainly causes an innocent player to miss out on much more than the time it would take to recover from a single death. But, presumably, there is nothing done for these people to make up for them getting totally screwed over by the errant banhammer.

A question that is far better than yours is "why in the world would they NOT deserve compensation?"

Of course I don't KNOW that anyone has ever been wrongfully banned. But I'd sure as hell put money on 1) yes there are people who have been wrongfully banned and 2) no the GMs don't do much/anything to make things right.

Messianic
03-18-2012, 11:06 PM
nonsense

The GMs offer rezzes as a bonus - they do not "owe" compensation, they merely care so they want people to be happy if it's not too much trouble - but they are not restoring anything that was wrongfully taken.

"Compensation" is a really poor word - and if you use it in its literal sense, compensation is absolutely never what actually happens on this server, because we are not customers. We are merely players who connect to their sandbox and they permit us to do so - but could deny us access for any reason whatsoever and not owe us compensation for a damn thing.

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 11:38 PM
This whole thing is obviously going nowhere fast, but I can't resist one more post before I go to bed.

"Compensation" is a really poor word - and if you use it in its literal sense, compensation is absolutely never what actually happens on this server, because we are not customers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/compensate

There's no need for the word to have anything to do with being a customer, especially since the way I used the word is basically #5 on that list.

The GMs offer rezzes as a bonus - they do not "owe" compensation, they merely care so they want people to be happy if it's not too much trouble - but they are not restoring anything that was wrongfully taken.

Well... I'd like to argue along the lines of "In the context of p99, no. A GM turning you into a pegasus while you're peddling your wares in EC is a bonus, whereas something that the GMs make quite a point of providing every time there are server issues leading to character deaths is more of a 'we're sorry; let us make it up to you' thing."

But even if I didn't do that, ok, fine. We'll call those rezzes a bonus. And we'll go with your assumption that the GMs care about us players and that they want us to be happy, within reason.

Given these things I'm again going to have to ask "why in the world wouldn't someone who just got screwed out of playing days/weeks/months of p99 because he was banned for something he did not actually do deserve a 'bonus'?"

The dude got bent over because of a GM mistake/lack of diligence/ban frenzy. The least that could be done would be to give him an xp boost or some crap to help him get to the kind of position he'd probably be in right now if he hadn't been wrongfully banned for the last however long.

If you truly think that the rezzes provided after a server crash are bonuses for players that the GMs give out out of the kindness of their heart, but that the GMs shouldn't follow in a similar vein by giving some bonus to someone whose account they wrongfully banned... well yeah, I already said that I didn't think this was going anywhere.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 11:41 PM
the compensation is being allowed to play for free ;p

fischsemmel
03-18-2012, 11:45 PM
the compensation is being allowed to play for free ;p

So if I shoot you, fully intending to kill you with that shot, but I only wound you... I can say we're even by not finishing you off? I can call not killing you compensation for having wounded you? ;p

teekanc
03-18-2012, 11:47 PM
If you see a 2boxer or someone suspicious.. report them. I do all the time. No there should not be a reward, because then it would create all kind of drama, drastically increase the amount of petitions, 80% of them would be unfounded, and we'd have pissed off GMs.

Flunklesnarkin
03-18-2012, 11:54 PM
I don't see how your analogy applies to P99 heh..

this is a form of entertainment.. the distributors can cut off anybody they choose.

They don't have a responsibility to serve everybody fairly and equally.

People can boycott them or not use the service if they think thats not right. Thats called freedom imo.

Although I'm sure they try to be fair and impartial.. at times I'm sure their decisions aren't always perfect.. but i refer you to their thread on GM decisions.. its their server their rules.

If you feel a decision was made in error.. use petition and exploits to get it reversed.. but always keep in mind they don't owe you anything.

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I just want a ring that will turn me into a rat... thats all I am getting at here

Yanomamo
03-19-2012, 02:48 AM
It's a perma ban. PERMA BAN. PERMA BAN.

I might unban one of your accounts.

apio
03-19-2012, 05:48 AM
itt:

10% snitches (pathetic)
30% kissasses (pathetic)
5% self righteous cross dressers (funny)
40% smartasses (forums average)
14% cool people (why you even go to the forums is beyond me)
1% me

Amelinda is adapting the holier than thou attitude that made Uthgaard so famous and popular. If you need a history lesson just do a search on the forums. following the original timeline we got about 4 months before Amelinda turns into a schizo, and about 7 until she gets banned from the forums for trolling

:eek::eek:

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
itt:

10% snitches (pathetic)
30% kissasses (pathetic)
5% self righteous cross dressers (funny)
40% smartasses (forums average)
14% cool people (why you even go to the forums is beyond me)
1% me

Amelinda is adapting the holier than thou attitude that made Uthgaard so famous and popular. If you need a history lesson just do a search on the forums. following the original timeline we got about 4 months before Amelinda turns into a schizo, and about 7 until she gets banned from the forums for trolling

:eek::eek:

/dislike, and so 1% me, so this makes you what..? nobody (pathetic) ?
And FYI Amelinda is prett cool.. I would probley go abit crazy trying to GM here to with all the QQ, he said she said BS that goes on here everyday.. I mean read the thread you just posted your great comment above?

Radiskull
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Mojoz Man, your posts are the most painful thing to read since Visage. Those aberrations you call a post almost made Funkiesharkfin posts seem relevant, but at a second glance... Flunkernoodle still only posts garbage.

Box on the server if you want, you will get caught. Best advice I'd give is don't keep anything valuable on toons you're boxing (I'm a pro). Know the consequences and be able to live with them. The poster talking about him and his wife PLing in OoT is 100% fiction. GMs can't be guessing when they're banning someone for two boxing, just because we don't know how they do it doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. Better luck next time.

teekanc
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I <3 naked 60s buffing then sitting idle in level 10 zones.

apio
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
/dislike, and so 1% me, so this makes you what..? nobody (pathetic) ?
And FYI Amelinda is prett cool.. I would probley go abit crazy trying to GM here to with all the QQ, he said she said BS that goes on here everyday.. I mean read the thread you just posted your great comment above?

i read all the posts, all your posts as well, and it's just the permanent mantra of asskissing (especially yours) that made me post in this thread in the first place. So yeah, im not really suprised that you dislike my comment.

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
lol ok mister %1 ... lol I not even gonna waste my rage on you I have better things to do ... Nice attempt at troll though my friend... Have a great day and go lvl your ranger lol (( No hate rangers just sayin ))

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Mojoz Man, your posts are the most painful thing to read since Visage. Those aberrations you call a post almost made Funkiesharkfin posts seem relevant, but at a second glance... Flunkernoodle still only posts garbage.

Box on the server if you want, you will get caught. Best advice I'd give is don't keep anything valuable on toons you're boxing (I'm a pro). Know the consequences and be able to live with them. The poster talking about him and his wife PLing in OoT is 100% fiction. GMs can't be guessing when they're banning someone for two boxing, just because we don't know how they do it doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. Better luck next time.

Fail go play live! <3 have a nice day and Funk is pretty cool man not a bad cat....

Swish
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
You're missing the point.

He isn't saying that people think it's ok to box.

I think what the real problem is that there is no thread informing people on what constitutes "suspicious" behavior and, without enumerating all cases, state examples of behavior that will be looked into.

He might be genuine but what's implied is, if everyone generally is told what is suspicious behaviour they can then go about trying not to be "suspicious" as per the rules. Make concrete rules and you'll have another EQ camp lawyer mentality when it comes to people disputing the decision "Ah yes I was boxing, but I wasn't displaying any of the suspicious signs...therefore you can't touch me"

People who report boxers based on what they see don't know if the boxers are behind a proxy, but if there's a handful of reports on the same two characters it warrants being looked into. No doubt Amelinda has a few tricks up her sleeve in any case.

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 12:25 PM
He might be genuine but what's implied is, if everyone generally is told what is suspicious behaviour they can then go about trying not to be "suspicious" as per the rules. Make concrete rules and you'll have another EQ camp lawyer mentality when it comes to people disputing the decision "Ah yes I was boxing, but I wasn't displaying any of the suspicious signs...therefore you can't touch me"

People who report boxers based on what they see don't know if the boxers are behind a proxy, but if there's a handful of reports on the same two characters it warrants being looked into. No doubt Amelinda has a few tricks up her sleeve in any case.

^ agreed

necrosaurio
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
How do you determine that someone is boxing?

If I run the game in two computers, with one of them going through a proxy server, how would you determine if I am boxing?

You can speak to me on any of the accounts and I can answer.

You ask me to move in different directions at the same time, I can do it.

I have two different IPs.

If I don't keep a char in "follow" all the time, I don't think it is possible to detect someone boxing, unless you train them and watch the reaction.

Confession time: I boxed in P1999 through a proxy a few times, just to check if it was any more enjoyable to do it here than in Live, with the slower pace. I only did it for a few levels (my highest char was 9 or 10 before I gave my gear away and deleted them all) but I never had any issues.

I understand why people box (it makes life a lot easier, specially if you have really spotty play times) but it really destroys the community, why would let someone join you if your boxed duo or trio can take on anything?

Personally, I don't box anymore (I hardly ever play here anymore, although I am trying to get back into it) because it just doesn't make sense. The game is not enjoyable boxing and missing the social aspect. Yes, even soloing has a social aspect: if someone comes around, I will buff them. That won't happen if you're boxing and paying attention to two boxes.

GMs: Feel free to ban me, as I think that it would only be fair. If you PM me, I will give you my account names.

teekanc
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
So... Idea for sniffing out 2 boxers off some kinda cool reward for most reported and confirmed boxer accounts that would be kinda of a good idea

http://i40.tinypic.com/jsoevm.jpg

Danyelle
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
That guy on the right is more bad ass than I could ever hope to be. look at his stance and his cool "call the cops I don't give a fuck" expression. He could destroy planets with those guns he calls arms too, and if someone tried to shoot at him he would deflect the bullet with that Xbox-huge watch he has on.

Also beige pants.

fadetree
03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Those pants ALONE could kick ass and take names, no mercy.

mefdinkins
03-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Me and a few of my buddies were hoping to get an IP Exception to set up a lan for a weekend or two. You guys all know the deal -- mountain dew, beer, pizza, fulfilling stereotypes, marathon gaming etc. etc.

For my friends and I, Lanning is one of the funnest things about gaming. In a marathon gaming session - I'm sure some of us wouldn't be at our computer 24/7 - with movies or sporting events on in the background, playing drinking games, going to the bathroom etc. However, NONE of US would 'two-box'. One may port, one may unenthusiastically hold down a spawn, one may help PL but none of us would be 'two-boxing'. I'm afraid the mere fact we shared an IP combined with the, sit around, play style of EQ would immediately predispose us towards an appearance of impropriety.

We're afraid to apply for an IP exception to lan now, we fear we might all get banned because we're not all sitting attentively at our comps moving our characters in different directions. We will be fine, doing without a lan, but I do feel for people who want to play with their roommates.

I'm glad two boxers are heavily regulated -- but if IP exceptions are allowed those individuals who are lawfully using them should not have to fear for their account everytime they go AFK for 5 minutes while medding to full.

username1337
03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
How do you determine that someone is boxing?

If I run the game in two computers, with one of them going through a proxy server, how would you determine if I am boxing?

You can speak to me on any of the accounts and I can answer.

You ask me to move in different directions at the same time, I can do it.

I have two different IPs.

If I don't keep a char in "follow" all the time, I don't think it is possible to detect someone boxing, unless you train them and watch the reaction.

Confession time: I boxed in P1999 through a proxy a few times, just to check if it was any more enjoyable to do it here than in Live, with the slower pace. I only did it for a few levels (my highest char was 9 or 10 before I gave my gear away and deleted them all) but I never had any issues.

I understand why people box (it makes life a lot easier, specially if you have really spotty play times) but it really destroys the community, why would let someone join you if your boxed duo or trio can take on anything?

Personally, I don't box anymore (I hardly ever play here anymore, although I am trying to get back into it) because it just doesn't make sense. The game is not enjoyable boxing and missing the social aspect. Yes, even soloing has a social aspect: if someone comes around, I will buff them. That won't happen if you're boxing and paying attention to two boxes.

GMs: Feel free to ban me, as I think that it would only be fair. If you PM me, I will give you my account names.

I guarantee that at least 1/4 to 1/2 of EC are boxed characters behind proxies or other means of masking boxing. Not hard if you've spent anytime asking people how much a specific item costs and waiting 30 seconds for a reply. It happens too frequently and with too many people to be coincidences of "tell hell" or "afk".

Galaa
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM

nothing to do with the topic of boxing, just like to mention that personally I never logoff when Im going to AFK. I always spend all my mana when soloing, and then I just find a safe spot to AFK instead of logging off, so that when I come back from AFKing, my mana will be full.

My AFK timing varies, from 5mins to even 30mins, as I tend to play my console games while AFKing LOL.

So AFKing or not, this isnt the correct way to determind whether a person is boxing.

Fultun
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
nothing to do with the topic of boxing, just like to mention that personally I never logoff when Im going to AFK. I always spend all my mana when soloing, and then I just find a safe spot to AFK instead of logging off, so that when I come back from AFKing, my mana will be full.

My AFK timing varies, from 5mins to even 30mins, as I tend to play my console games while AFKing LOL.

So AFKing or not, this isnt the correct way to determind whether a person is boxing.

I do the same thing when soling, I will kite some mobs around use up all my mana, then sit in a corner and put my feet on the desk and watch TV while my mana regens, sometimes 20-30 mins will go by before I look at my PC screen again if something cool is on TV. :)

Stepson hates it, and will end up texting my phone if I don't reply to him after a few minutes. :)

Orruar
03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Burn all the witches!

Flunklesnarkin
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Oh look its a guido sock puppet.

still mad about that one time i didn't want to exp with you I see.

Quite the high horse too about "garbage posts" I think you have had one informative post on the the entire forum to give some knowledge back to the community.

The rest are trolling or calling people stupid. So go on and hate anonymous TMO sock puppet.

tristantio
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I wonder how many people caught 2 boxing were running both accounts on the same PC and still trying to say it was a wife or roommate playing.

Flunklesnarkin
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM

It's not the correct way but I'm sure certain behavior seems more suspicious than others.

Like somebody with an IP exemption that only ever power levels alts would be a bit suspicious. (not saying guilty)

or somebody with an IP exemption that only ever camps dragons and is at a camp 24 / 7

or somebody who only ever ports and afk's at EC tunnel.

Somebody with an IP exemption would most likely want to play with their friend / wife / significant other... not hang out in a tunnel all day, or watch a dragon camp all day while the other is out exping.

Do I think people are wrongfully banned? Yes, I do.

Do I think it's possible to get the bans reversed? Yes, I do.

I think what this thread has shown most is that power leveling your IP exemption account with another account on the same IP is suspicious.

Could take steps to avoid that... maybe some way to warn the staff

"Hey, Imma be leveling up my wifes alts.. and she is right here!!!"

I doubt it would be a very common occurrence for most people with IP exemptions.

If that isn't a possibility just remember that playing with an IP exemption places you under heavier scrutiny than most players and just pay somebody else to power level you or level up normally.

Shouldn't be as much of a grind playing with a good friend either way and enjoy the leveling up.

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 04:57 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/jsoevm.jpg

lollol

Danyelle
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Those pants ALONE could kick ass and take names, no mercy.

He has the pants of a god. Only a god would wear beige pants.

Swish
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Again, proxy or no proxy... if you're duoing in a popular zone like Mistmoore - if something doesn't seem "right" about the way the duo is playing, or strange that their cleric/warrior combo really doesn't want a rogue/monk to join them... then proxy or no proxy you're still raising suspicion among others in the zone.

At that point, and assuming a few different people have reported the 2 characters for allegedly boxing over the course of a week or two - its then down to Amelinda or whoever else to have a look if time allows. Your proxy isn't a total failsafe, it just shows you're not playing from the same IP.

I'm 100% certain I've reported a duo working in Unrest (shaman/necro) for boxing and haven't seen them since. Maybe they had a proxy and tried to work the system. I still think Amelinda has a few techie tricks up her sleeve, I don't see why people risk their accounts over trying.

If you want to box, try another EQemu server that allows it. I thought EQ was all about meeting new people and enjoying content with them along the way...the health of the server is in a lot better state without boxers in every zone. I'd rather the rules were too harsh than too slack.

Amelinda
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Me and a few of my buddies were hoping to get an IP Exception to set up a lan for a weekend or two. You guys all know the deal -- mountain dew, beer, pizza, fulfilling stereotypes, marathon gaming etc. etc.

For my friends and I, Lanning is one of the funnest things about gaming. In a marathon gaming session - I'm sure some of us wouldn't be at our computer 24/7 - with movies or sporting events on in the background, playing drinking games, going to the bathroom etc. However, NONE of US would 'two-box'. One may port, one may unenthusiastically hold down a spawn, one may help PL but none of us would be 'two-boxing'. I'm afraid the mere fact we shared an IP combined with the, sit around, play style of EQ would immediately predispose us towards an appearance of impropriety.

We're afraid to apply for an IP exception to lan now, we fear we might all get banned because we're not all sitting attentively at our comps moving our characters in different directions. We will be fine, doing without a lan, but I do feel for people who want to play with their roommates.

I'm glad two boxers are heavily regulated -- but if IP exceptions are allowed those individuals who are lawfully using them should not have to fear for their account everytime they go AFK for 5 minutes while medding to full.

don't be scared :) As long as you don't break rules you will be totally fine :)

TO those of you who seem to think i'm drunk with power and just banning anyone who shares an IP address:

Logging out to go afk is not necessary, no staff here will ban a suspected two box simply because one of them isn't moving. We do, however, have several other methods and information available to us, some of which can lead us to a two box conclusion with or without the character(s) being afk.

this thread is a pretty fun read:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52721&highlight=brother+banned

Also..... when you apply for an ip exemption we comment on your thread the following:

Your exemption has been granted. If the accounts listed haven't logged off since this post, log out completely for it to take effect.

Remember the rules: 1 client per Real Life player at any time. Deviation from this rule will result in permanent bans.

Make sure everyone thoroughly understands and follows this rule.
Enjoy the server!

Frequently asked questions and links:

game setup, file placement, ui, etc.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

player maintained f.a.q.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

where can i donate?

Right here http://i54.tinypic.com/2zzp5qs.jpg
(http://www.project1999.org/forums/../index.php?pageid=donations)

Seriously.

Mojoz_Mon
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
AND CLOSE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Ikonoclastia
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Whenever I've two boxed (not in P1999) I found the following usually applies:

1. No communicaton between me and boxed character and no communication between boxed character and others
2. No movement other then standing / casting heals or buffs (maybe a nuke)
3. My gear is usually much better then the boxed characters
4. Boxed character mules and all gold / plat goes to me at the end

When I used to play WoW with my girlfriend we never communicated through text because we were next to each other in the same room however she talked to friends and guild. She didn't just buff and heal me, she would get up, move around, melee a bit on my mobs, dance, spot adds etc.

I had to share gold with her, she had decent gear equal to mine, we both looted stuff.

In short, a boxed character is a dead character, I imagine it would be pretty easy to spot.

Flunklesnarkin
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't say a boxed character is necessarily a dead character..

some people are quite skilled at boxing characters.. making third party utilities to control multiple boxes at once from a single screen..

I haven't searched for everquest but I imagine there is something like that already out there.

Probably what some of the ads on the site are in reference to in fact.

Tasslehofp99
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Its not that hard to 2box eq, on live I had guildies who'd play 3-4 toons at once while farming and you dont need any 3rd party software either, alt-tab and someone with quick fingers/hands can do it easily.

The dead giveaway to me is what ikonoclastia said, the boxxed character will almost always not speak. I've also noticed 2boxers using autofollow alot, which is another dead give away to me..anytime someone uses autofollow normally they will let the person know beforehand.

In my experience on p99, I've learned to not even wasting time reporting 2boxers. The last time I did I was suspended for 3 days for "wasting time and interfering in a GM investigation." Since then I've been accused of 2boxing for powerleveling a few of my brother's toons (when we werent even playing from the same IP let alone household, lol) as well as just hanging around buffing/assisting RL friends who were in lowbie groups at the time. I've also witnessed the same people 2boxing while farming/exping/powerleveling their alts blatantly, and continue to do so. This is a free to play server, you can't expect the GM's to waste their time hunting down all of the morons 2boxing. Especially when folks who petition them are shunned/punished for doing so.

teekanc
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Tasslehof 2 boxes! Nah, really chill little druid. Buffs me up and makes gettin knocked on my ass a little less harrowing.

Flunklesnarkin
03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Not talking isn't necessarily a give away of boxing.

A lot of folks are averse to typing... i've even played with some people who flat out refuse to..

they're all like

vent or gtfo >:U

Mojoz_Mon
03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Its not that hard to 2box eq, on live I had guildies who'd play 3-4 toons at once while farming and you dont need any 3rd party software either, alt-tab and someone with quick fingers/hands can do it easily.

The dead giveaway to me is what ikonoclastia said, the boxxed character will almost always not speak. I've also noticed 2boxers using autofollow alot, which is another dead give away to me..anytime someone uses autofollow normally they will let the person know beforehand.

In my experience on p99, I've learned to not even wasting time reporting 2boxers. The last time I did I was suspended for 3 days for "wasting time and interfering in a GM investigation." Since then I've been accused of 2boxing for powerleveling a few of my brother's toons (when we werent even playing from the same IP let alone household, lol) as well as just hanging around buffing/assisting RL friends who were in lowbie groups at the time. I've also witnessed the same people 2boxing while farming/exping/powerleveling their alts blatantly, and continue to do so. This is a free to play server, you can't expect the GM's to waste their time hunting down all of the morons 2boxing. Especially when folks who petition them are shunned/punished for doing so.

Eh I won't lie I have petitioned peeps before.. I have never been banned, punished... I reported in correct fourm, and Amelinda acually was happy that I would take the time and provide Screenshots of toons and their names... Dont know what happened to yo bud but that bummer to hear.

Fwank
03-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Eh I won't lie I have petitioned peeps before.. I have never been banned, punished... I reported in correct fourm, and Amelinda acually was happy that I would take the time and provide Screenshots of toons and their names... Dont know what happened to yo bud but that bummer to hear.

Keep up the good work, this game is about interaction with others, and it's clearly stated boxing = permaban.

Good job Amelinda on taking out the trash.

leezard
03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Since then I've been accused of 2boxing for powerleveling a few of my brother's toons (when we werent even playing from the same IP let alone household, lol) .

Yeah, just FYI if you duo ANY loot camp, even one you get xp at, this will happen. If you semi-afk PL your family/friends while making dinner, this will happen. If you inconvenience anyone in any way ( like bein in their favorite xp/farm spot) this will happen. Pretty sad, and a good reason why OP's silly idea will never happen. Couple that with all the people who will report ANYTHING that looks different from how THEY play, and you are wasting their time tbh. If you don't think giving a reward for reporting 2 boxing will cause a slue of illegitimate petition/reports, yer damn crazy man.

Like someone said several pages back, it didn't work in Stalin's Russia, and while consequences are nowhere near as serious in this case, it would'nt work here. Already on this server it's pretty common to face petition/train for simply being in a camp someone else wants, and if your duo'ing it? lol insta boxer label. OMG ALL DUO R BOXERZZ HALP GM's...

Just play the game, and if you are CERTAIN you come across a boxer, do what you gotta do.

And for those who are worried about duo'in w / wives, gf's, family whatever, you really don't have to worry too much if your legit. I am pretty sure I have been petitioned for duo'in w/ my brother and not been banned, hoping that person got a 3 day break for being a tool. (Prettysure he mad i had his favorite loot camp heh, bastard had the temerity to ask for a heads up when we were done after accusing us of boxing lol)

leezard
03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Not talking isn't necessarily a give away of boxing.

A lot of folks are averse to typing... i've even played with some people who flat out refuse to..

they're all like

vent or gtfo >:U

Is this why 90% of groups I have been in are unbearably quiet? Lol I hate voice chat in mmorpgs heh and so far it's usually white textwall in my groups..

Amelinda
03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Tasselhoff: not sure who suspended you. Wasn't me though.

I'm always appreciative when people report 2-boxers.

And you have to realize. Nobody on staff below senior guide is able to view IP addresses..... But you don't need the same IP address to be boxing.

I caught a 4 boxer who was using 3 different IP addresses. He used the story initially that his girlfriend was pouring him a glass of tea and his two friends didn't know how to play. This was his explanation for moving like he had 4 members of special forces to the efreeti. This was his explanation of why his shadow knight died while standing outside of the efreeti room while he summoned bandages on his mage (newbie friend!!)

He recently petitioned asking to be unbanned for boxing and admitted to boxing the characters. He was not unbanned.

There is lots of research that goes into banning boxers.....I always watch for a bit before banning. :)

I hate to ban. So stop screwing up :P

teekanc
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Tasselhoff: not sure who suspended you. Wasn't me though.

I'm always appreciative when people report 2-boxers.

And you have to realize. Nobody on staff below senior guide is able to view IP addresses..... But you don't need the same IP address to be boxing.

I caught a 4 boxer who was using 3 different IP addresses. He used the story initially that his girlfriend was pouring him a glass of tea and his two friends didn't know how to play. This was his explanation for moving like he had 4 members of special forces to the efreeti. This was his explanation of why his shadow knight died while standing outside of the efreeti room while he summoned bandages on his mage (newbie friend!!)

He recently petitioned asking to be unbanned for boxing and admitted to boxing the characters. He was not unbanned.

There is lots of research that goes into banning boxers.....I always watch for a bit before banning. :)

I hate to ban. So stop screwing up :P

http://www.adorableideas.com/images/AILBM137.jpg

Swish
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Some people need to put some points into IQ and common sense before they start playing.

godbox
03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
see the problem with this whole thing is endgame for my wife girlfriend and roomates is just hanging out on a lvl 5 bard in ec selling and buying loots and running auction houses this is super unfair =(

trollitc
03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
A 4 boxer? How is that even fun for anyone?

Szeth
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
3 boxing > 2 boxing anyways. Having the holy trinity is just baller.

Vityaz
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
A 4 boxer? How is that even fun for anyone?

On Live, when my friends weren't available to group with, I would 6 box a group in RSS. Bard, Cleric, Mage, Paladin, Enchanter, Druid. It was better than sitting in PoK passing out KEI.

If I could, I certainly would 2 box on P99... and use SEQ. However, with it being classic, and me playing a Paladin, that's a lot of time to risk over things that I can live without.

But if it comes to a point where I can't find a group on a regular basis, I certainly will make a go at boxing (flag my account now). I'd rather enjoy playing until I'm banned than be sitting with my thumb up my butt in EC.

SEQ on the other hand, well it isn't required for me to play and have fun so whatever.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Flunklesnarkin
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Is this why 90% of groups I have been in are unbearably quiet? Lol I hate voice chat in mmorpgs heh and so far it's usually white textwall in my groups..

Can join one of those starter guilds to make some friends.

Should help in finding groups also.

Vladigan
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Obviously you never played a Magician and had to endure 20 casting and 20 malachite to summon a decent pet.

Not to mention, summoned weapons, bags, etc.

And exactly what is considered a "long time"? 5 minutes, 10, 15... where do you draw the line?

I believe this is a witch hunt as well. While some boxer's may be doing some negative things to the server, (i really have a difficult time understand what the fear mongering is about), I have to imagine there would also be good things about boxing... like having a port for your group when needed, missing a healer? Ill bring on my box, missing a tank? etc.

My friend and I boxed on live and we were very social and only used a box character when a real one wasn't available.

In the end the choice was made not to allow boxers for whatever reason, and we should all respect that no matter what our individual feelings are. I can also say that many of my friends stopped playing on this server because of fear of being falsly accused as boxing.

I stopped helping lower level people, out of fear of being labeled a boxer... and now I am afraid to go AFK, knowing that I may be deemed a "boxer"...

Frankly, I think if we put as much effort into developing the server as we do hunting for witches, we could make this more enjoyable for all.

In closing, I fear this will never happen since like most MMO, its not about you, its about what the other guys does or has that you should have... right?:confused:

**Edit** Oh god, I managed to quote someone on my ignore list... if only I had logged in first I could have avoided trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who is less than.... sigh.

Flunklesnarkin
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I support the bannings. Send a strong message.

and no I'm not a rabid anti boxer... I just think they should go somewhere that its within the ruleset.

I was tossing out the log off if afk a "long time" as an option if somebody was seriously worried... to me a long time would be 20+ minutes.

If you can't see how it would be considered suspicious to have one IP exemption account afk for hours at a money / loot / dragon camp while another is out questing / exping / whatever... then you are trying to twist words give boxers some wiggle room to squeeze through.

BarackObooma
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I blame this on the British and Canadians. They even have a holiday celebrating it called "Boxing Day"! Pure evil.

erog84
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I am still baffled how there is so much hate towards 2 boxers. Yes it is against the rules, and there should be consequences. But from the sound of some people on here, it's almost as if those 2 boxers personally offended them IRL. I'm sure a few of you on this thread are going to call me a boxer just because I don't agree with you guys! I have a much greater issue with people who purposely train (happens quite often it seems), powerlvlers who move into a zone and just take it over (happens 100 times a day in unrest!). And don't get me started on trading/selling accounts. I mean seriously, we are against people playing 2 characters (even though it was CLASSIC), but we aren't against people trading/selling accounts( which WAS against classic).....this logic baffles me.

On live I boxed all the time because my first character, which I loved, was a ranger. Could never find a group until I had my pocket cleric to bring along. When the group needed a healer and had a spot open, I'd play both in group, but just as often as not I would heal outside group just so i could get xp on my ranger.

I recognize there are certain things about 2 boxing that are an issue:
- Leave one character camping Jboots, and other similar camps.
- People paying 2, 3, 6 characters at once. Where does it stop?
- People never grouping because why group when you can duo with yourself? (powerlvling has the same affect)

Just my thoughts. When I am playing I am almost ALWAYS watching a movie or tv shows because unlike 80% of the server(seems to be that high), I don't get high, drunk or do other stuff to alter my mindset so I can play this game.

Also the 4boxer Amelinda talked about.... HILARIOUS, especially when he admitted and asked to be unbanned.

Deuces
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
You boxed on live and you paid for 2 accounts to do it . Here this is free which means people would box much more then 2 if they were allowed to do it. boxing clutters up the social aspect of the game as well it hordes camps.

Swish
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
from the sound of some people on here, it's almost as if those 2 boxers personally offended them IRL....

I'm sure a few of you on this thread are going to call me a boxer just because I don't agree with you guys!

This is the forums, welcome - things are spun out of control here. Well done for trying to make it even more out of control with that second comment.

What you exaggerate I can exaggerate further. Before you know it, half the server is boxing and everyone posting here is doing it...and its totally true that the more hardline someone is against boxing, the more certain we all are that they are also definitely boxing.

Meanwhile, on Fox News...

Acrux Bcrux
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Id just like to say that the douche bags who spend their whole day on these forums putting people down to make their e-peens feel bigger hurt the server population worse than 2boxers.

erog84
03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
This is the forums, welcome - things are spun out of control here. Well done for trying to make it even more out of control with that second comment.

What you exaggerate I can exaggerate further. Before you know it, half the server is boxing and everyone posting here is doing it...and its totally true that the more hardline someone is against boxing, the more certain we all are that they are also definitely boxing.

Meanwhile, on Fox News...

Sarcasm is hard to detect online, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. If you have read through all the posts in the thread though, you will see comments were actually made like that (which may or may not have been sarcasm). Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

erog84
03-20-2012, 06:23 PM
You boxed on live and you paid for 2 accounts to do it . Here this is free which means people would box much more then 2 if they were allowed to do it. boxing clutters up the social aspect of the game as well it hordes camps.

Thanks for the comment, and I agree this very well could be the scenario. The free to play is a big difference from live for sure. But to play devils advocate (or should I say 2 boxers advocate), do you think there are many people on live who would have box'd consistently had they not had to pay for a second account? Everyone I knew that wanted to box didn't have an issue with it, while others would only box their friends char occasionally for rezs/ports/etc, and was fine with just having one account to themselves.

Perhaps I am being naive, I've just been suprised by how much people on this server dislike 2 boxers, whereas on my live server (tunare) it wasn't an issue at all. I've played off and on, on this server for about 2.5 years now depending on when friends get me to play or when they quit, so perhaps before thn (or during breaks) there has been big time issues with 2 boxers screwing up camps and such? So far I have not had any run in's with 2 boxers ruining a camp for me or anything else (it's usually pretty easy to spot them, and no I have not reported them. Not because i sympathize with them, but because I just don't really report anyone for anything.... probably due to laziness).

Scavrefamn
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
I am still baffled how there is so much hate towards 2 boxers. Yes it is against the rules, and there should be consequences. But from the sound of some people on here, it's almost as if those 2 boxers personally offended them IRL.

I'm sure a few of you on this thread are going to call me a boxer just because I don't agree with you guys!

On live I boxed all the time...

:rolleyes:

Anyway, if you want to box, go do it on every other server ever.

On Project 1999, it is against the rules. Keep your filthy two-boxing ways out of here.
I will continue to diligently report any two-boxer I run into and assist the GMs in ferreting out these offenders.

Vityaz
03-20-2012, 11:36 PM
I will continue to diligently report any two-boxer I run into and assist the GMs in ferreting out these offenders.

Translation: I will form a witch hunt and yes, everyone posting here weighs the same as a duck. You're all two-boxers and reported.

Swish
03-21-2012, 12:15 AM
do you think there are many people on live who would have box'd consistently had they not had to pay for a second account?

I didn't like boxing from the moment it took root (seemed in my mind to start during Kunark on live). Mercs on live was the cure, though I'm sure people continue to box with mercs added as well over there.

I guess I'm a purist at heart, the game was created so that you could meet new people, level together, raid together.... not section yourself off from the community because you don't like the LFG time or because boxing is easier.

Different strokes for different folks, but for me one of the best draws of P99 is not having to put up with that shit going on here. Like some mentioned above, I'll continue to report suspected boxers if I'm 99% sure that I'm right (you can never be 100% sure unless someone tells you, right?).

As for sarcasm on my last post, it wasn't meant to be there. The forums really do serve to blow an issue out of proportion, and as the pages stack up on a thread like this its just made more of an issue. I've probably reported 4 sets of boxers since I started playing... its not going on around every corner that I've noticed but it makes me rage that bit harder when it goes on in places like Unrest or Mistmoore where spawns are at a premium during peak hours.

Sure, I'll never be able to tell if someone is logging on their "brother"'s account to check auctions in EC and do some trading on the side, but chances are the more he does that the more likely he is to get caught anyway...*applause* for Amelinda for staying vigilant on the issue.

erog84
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I didn't like boxing from the moment it took root (seemed in my mind to start during Kunark on live). Mercs on live was the cure, though I'm sure people continue to box with mercs added as well over there.

I guess I'm a purist at heart, the game was created so that you could meet new people, level together, raid together.... not section yourself off from the community because you don't like the LFG time or because boxing is easier.

Different strokes for different folks, but for me one of the best draws of P99 is not having to put up with that shit going on here. Like some mentioned above, I'll continue to report suspected boxers if I'm 99% sure that I'm right (you can never be 100% sure unless someone tells you, right?).

As for sarcasm on my last post, it wasn't meant to be there. The forums really do serve to blow an issue out of proportion, and as the pages stack up on a thread like this its just made more of an issue. I've probably reported 4 sets of boxers since I started playing... its not going on around every corner that I've noticed but it makes me rage that bit harder when it goes on in places like Unrest or Mistmoore where spawns are at a premium during peak hours.

Sure, I'll never be able to tell if someone is logging on their "brother"'s account to check auctions in EC and do some trading on the side, but chances are the more he does that the more likely he is to get caught anyway...*applause* for Amelinda for staying vigilant on the issue.

Thanks for the good comments. I think alot of interaction is healthy for the server, but there are times that I get on that I really don't want to group with anyone. Not because I want to hog the xp or loot, but just because sometimes it's nice to be off on my own. And why should I need to switch to a different game in those one out of every 2 week situations? Also as previously mentioned it would be nice to be able to box a tank or cleric when your group is just going to fall apart without one. Those would be the perks, but yes there is plenty of downside. It is against the rules of the server, and as I said before, there should be consequences.

necrosaurio
03-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Actually, it made it a million times worse. These days, 99% of the people box because you can have a full group with 2 or 3 toons and mercs. Before, you had to play 2 chars. Now you can play one, have a couple of macros on the other one and let the mercs do the rest, so you don't need to invite anyone.

In many cases, you don't even get invited to a group if you don't have the right class merc.

Mojoz_Mon
03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Good god... this fourm has become that scab that people just can't quit picking at.. Its a MONSTER Jim... It's a MONSTER!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo_c3fvNnXZT9q07WcyRv5tc6Dx_I75 cHjhaE5sRxMIwQHKLvwdg

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I boxed on Live... it was never an issue... granted if I got into a group with folks other than my friends, I'd drop one toon to focus on the group. Regardless of what people think about it, it honestly didn't ruin the game. Sure there were folks who preferred to box instead of group, but I wasn't one of them. My Brother in law, wife and I used to 2 box a group and we had fun with it. I don't see the harm in it.

Having said that, on this server it's against the rules, and I have no issue with it being against the rules, because it's clearly, VERY clearly established that it's against the rules. I just wish that Amelinda wasn't broadcasting it across the server. I understand why (and people STILL don't listen), but honestly, people don't need to see tht crap. Interactions between GM's and players aren't for the world to see, and they constantly complain about folks trying to dig into what happened. Don't broadcast it, just do what you need to do with the offending player and move on. Personally, that just comes across the wrong way. I get it, it's their server and they can be as mean and aloof as they want, but if they don't want players on the server, then just shut it down.

Muzyn
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
"Busted a 4 boxer with 3 IPs". So unless theres 2 characters logged on with the same IP, Amelinda won't know to watch you. Almost sounds like entrapment.. here's your IP exemption and now i'm going to follow you around and wait for someone to AFK!

I remember when I raided on this server years ago people had setup VPN connections on their PCs so when they weren't available to play their friends could tunnel through their PC (thus using their IP) to box their account. No IP exemptions, no accounts playing from an unfamiliar IP, all appeared "normal". This sort of thing was rampant back then and I would suspect still goes on.

So while Uth/Amelinda were waiting to nail IP exempt abusers to a crucifix the real abusers/boxers got away scott free because it'd take too much resources to find and prove their abuse.

Moral of the story, if you need an IP exemption to play with someone then you're better off finding a VPN service, use your neighbours wireless, tether a smart phone or just play on live for free and avoid the headaches here. I hear eq mac is nice this time of year~

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I just wish that Amelinda wasn't broadcasting it across the server.

Personally, that just comes across the wrong way. I get it, it's their server and they can be as mean and aloof as they want

Yeah GMs enforcing the established rules definitely comes across the wrong way.

Wait what?

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
It isn't the fact that they are enforcing it... it's the "Oh rack up another 30 accounts in my super awesome 2 box basher belt". It comes across like she is having the time of her life banning people. It's just not good PR, but they may not care.

Also, they make clear points that interacts between the GM's and players aren't public knowledge, yet they choose to broadcast that... comes across as a double standard, they don't want it public knowledge unless it give them a power trip/rush....

falkun
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
It isn't the fact that they are enforcing it... it's the "Oh rack up another 30 accounts in my super awesome 2 box basher belt". It comes across like she is having the time of her life banning people. It's just not good PR, but they may not care.

Also, they make clear points that interacts between the GM's and players aren't public knowledge, yet they choose to broadcast that... comes across as a double standard, they don't want it public knowledge unless it give them a power trip/rush....

It's GREAT PR to announce 2-boxers have been banned. I'm happy when policies that are enacted are enforced. Keep up the crusade against 2-boxers Amelinda!

Muzyn
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
It's GREAT PR to announce 2-boxers have been banned. I'm happy when policies that are enacted are enforced. Keep up the crusade against 2-boxers Amelinda!

Keep telling yourself that, while the real boxers playing 4-5 toons get loot while you stand around LFG at zone-in. Majority of these bans are against people with IP exemptions.

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

AGAIN.. not arguing against the enforcement.... it's the attitude. I have the same issue with Rogean. I love what they are doing, just not the attitude that goes with.

falkun
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
AGAIN.. not arguing against the enforcement.... it's the attitude. I have the same issue with Rogean. I love what they are doing, just not the attitude that goes with.

You get what you pay for?

leezard
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Keep telling yourself that, while the real boxers playing 4-5 toons get loot while you stand around LFG at zone-in. Majority of these bans are against people with IP exemptions.

Just curious. But you know this how? Or you just talkin out yer pooper?
And ppl with ip exemptions aren't ever boxing then? I'm sorry but your opinion ( for really, that's all it is ) seems pretty uninformed.

And for the broadcasts, I guess you only read the parts you want. She clearly said she didn't want to be banning ppl. I like knowin something got done myself and you really don't know pr if you think an occasional public announcement dealing with enforcing server rules is bad. Only ppl I would think it would bother are guilty ppl. There's that opinion thing again..

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
You get what you pay for?

Precisely... if at any point the attitude puts me off that much... I'll just stop playing. It isn't, and I'm having a lot of fun playing, so *shrug*. I used to be a Guide on live, so I guess I have a different experience with customer interaction. This server obviously is not live, nor is it pay to play, so I can only imagine the frustration level with people crawling out of the woodwork and demaning all the hard work, and then attacking on a personal level. It's all non-sense....

And for the broadcasts, I guess you only read the parts you want. She clearly said she didn't want to be banning ppl. I like knowin something got done myself and you really don't know pr if you think an occasional public announcement dealing with enforcing server rules is bad. Only ppl I would think it would bother are guilty ppl. There's that opinion thing again..

I was referring to the in game broadcast, not her post in the forums. I KNOW she doesn't like having to do it, but if you only play the game and don't read the forums, you might not get the impression from the wording used in the broadcasts.

Hitchens
03-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I was referring to the in game broadcast, not her post in the forums. I KNOW she doesn't like having to do it, but if you only play the game and don't read the forums, you might not get the impression from the wording used in the broadcasts.

If you only play the game and don't care about forums and drama, you're not going to care about Amelinda's broadcasts either.

Orruar
03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
If you only play the game and don't care about forums and drama, you're not going to care about Amelinda's broadcasts either.

And on Easter, we dye eggs so the easter bunny can hide them to celebrate the day that Jesus died on the cross. It makes about as much sense as what you just said.

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 03:38 PM
And on Easter, we dye eggs so the easter bunny can hide them to celebrate the day that Jesus died on the cross. It makes about as much sense as what you just said.

You forgot to add that we THAN ALSO EAT THE HOLLOW BUNNIES and their delicious cream filled eggs....

Wait, bunnies lay eggs?

Hitchens
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Analogies are not your strong suit.

kazroth
03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
And ppl with ip exemptions aren't ever boxing then? I'm sorry but your opinion ( for really, that's all it is ) seems pretty uninformed.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

edgrubermn
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
*sigh*

It's just the attitude I don't like, not the broadcast itself...

And no, regardless of my opinion on the matter, I do not box or attempt to... it's against the rules, and I do not want to be banned for breaking a rule that is extrmely clearly laid out and vigorously enforced.

Slave
03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I do not want to be banned for breaking a rule that is extrmely clearly laid out and vigorously enforced.

Against people with IP exemptions who go AFK...

I agree with you on the attitude portion as well. Amelinda used to be a laid-back, hard-working guide. Now she's a stressed-out wreck of a hard-working lead server GM. Personally, she's always been pretty nice and lenient when it has come to in-game shenanigans, but professionally she seems very over her head when it comes to the raid scene and the metagame. She is a superb guide yet simply all that's left for real in-game support.

There didn't seem to be anyone left of high authority on the server and she more or less inherited the GM position by default, with the lead developer spending ever-less time on this project (and actually I completely appreciate that Rogean is a gamer first).

The end result is that GM support has been on the obvious wane for the last 5 months, with no bottom in sight. That leads to the manic banning sprees we have seen, and I have no doubt that innocents have suffered because of it.

I think anyone who has been here a significant length of time sees that Amelinda needs help because she is not at all capable of handling the gigantic work load with the implosion of the P99 management infrastructure we've all witnessed.

Muzyn
03-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Read my previous post, I saw it plenty when I raided on P99 years ago. I'm not saying people with IP exemptions aren't boxing, i'm sure they do it and they get caught. The point I was making is Amelinda only knows enough to go after boxers who have IP exemptions.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
The point I was making is Amelinda only knows enough to go after boxers who have IP exemptions.

I'm pretty sure that's not true...

I'm curious as to what brought you to such conclusion though.

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Read my previous post, I saw it plenty when I raided on P99 years ago. I'm not saying people with IP exemptions aren't boxing, i'm sure they do it and they get caught. The point I was making is Amelinda only knows enough to go after boxers who have IP exemptions.

Just curious.. how do you know that's all amelinda is capable of doing?

The only way I think somebody could have such certainty is you are boxing yourself undetected.

Unless there is some other way you can keep tabs on amelinda's "crusade" i'm not aware of.

Muzyn
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM

The only way I think somebody could have such certainty is you are boxing yourself undetected.

Unless there is some other way you can keep tabs on amelinda's "crusade" i'm not aware of.

I haven't played on this server for quite some time, I may log on once in a blue moon to buff noobs or something but that's it. Like I said in my previous post, this kind of boxing was rampant back when I raided, I knew of plenty of boxers, some would box 4-5 every day and went unnoticed.. and that's when they had the warm bodies to police the server.

As for boxing myself, i'm not sure what purpose it'd serve for the entire 20 minutes I spend logged in every week?

mwatt
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Against people with IP exemptions who go AFK...

I agree with you on the attitude portion as well. Amelinda used to be a laid-back, hard-working guide. Now she's a stressed-out wreck of a hard-working lead server GM. Personally, she's always been pretty nice and lenient when it has come to in-game shenanigans, but professionally she seems very over her head when it comes to the raid scene and the metagame. She is a superb guide yet simply all that's left for real in-game support.

There didn't seem to be anyone left of high authority on the server and she more or less inherited the GM position by default, with the lead developer spending ever-less time on this project (and actually I completely appreciate that Rogean is a gamer first).

The end result is that GM support has been on the obvious wane for the last 5 months, with no bottom in sight. That leads to the manic banning sprees we have seen, and I have no doubt that innocents have suffered because of it.

I think anyone who has been here a significant length of time sees that Amelinda needs help because she is not at all capable of handling the gigantic work load with the implosion of the P99 management infrastructure we've all witnessed.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!

Not.

Mojoz_Mon
03-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Dude acually lives in the apt. next to her has a hole drilled in wall and is watching her =)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQTaEwP5yLtyeBFdUOT4ebXwCIBKo0M z8dsl9Xkk1NFDztI0mU

Creepy ya I know right just playin bud... well.. Enless you have a hole drilled lol

Orruar
03-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Analogies are not your strong suit.

Reading comprehension is not yours. I was not making an analogy.

godbox
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
this thread is getting boring with over elawyering. Please insert more proper flame and stop muzzling your inner troll in order to appear more smart like.

YA JUST GOT LAWYERD BRO

Dullah
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
...Because.....It makes me sad to ban people for boxing. I got people in 3 major high end guilds this week. Got a few lower level players also.

If it really made you sad, I think you would just remove IP exemptions before banning 2 boxers. Its such a simple remedy, yet staff still thinks its "necessary" to continue to permaban.

The problem with these permabans is it kills server population. Not because the 2-boxers are removed, but because for every person banned, at least 1-3 other people quit because they've lost people to group with, as well as another few people who decide against playing every day due to a server having less than X number of players.

This is the reason red99 population has all but disappeared in the last month.

funhorroryes
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
yeah perma ban for pretty much boosting the falling population up by 2 boxing

honestly, i think its great its not allowed, but there is plenty of it going on and if they want to take the risk of being snitched on then let them do it

maahes
03-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Only the naive think that innocence assures a lack of punishment.

You sir have scored many points in my book. What a great quote. It really scares me to know that there are adults this naive in the world today. Can you imagine what our countries might/will do to us if the majority of people thought this way. SCARY.

Alex
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
If it really made you sad, I think you would just remove IP exemptions before banning 2 boxers. Its such a simple remedy, yet staff still thinks its "necessary" to continue to permaban.

The problem with these permabans is it kills server population. Not because the 2-boxers are removed, but because for every person banned, at least 1-3 other people quit because they've lost people to group with, as well as another few people who decide against playing every day due to a server having less than X number of players.

The server population of Blue has been healthy and relatively static for ages. Red failed because of the toxic, volatile blob it calls a playerbase.

Orruar
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
You sir have scored many points in my book. What a great quote. It really scares me to know that there are adults this naive in the world today. Can you imagine what our countries might/will do to us if the majority of people thought this way. SCARY.

Bend over and let the TSA inspect your asshole, sir.

Flunklesnarkin
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Not trying to flame you.

but unverified internet statistics don't do much to support your opinion.

"Dude... for every 2 boxer removed 1~3 illegal immigrants join P99"

I can make up statistics too ;p

i've been on the server about 6 months now.. and the population hasn't dropped at all.. so it appears the bannings are having very little effect in that respect.

Craigmandu
03-23-2012, 05:34 AM
It is a free to play server....if they decided to close up shop tomorrow what would/could you do about it? NOTHING!

If they don't want you boxing....don't do it.

I was going to get an ip exemption for my 3 sons as well as myself, but after everything I've read....I'd rather simply let them play something else. There are just too many ways for it to be "interpreted" incorrectly, and I don't want my account banned for something silly one of my kids may do.

Plus, I don't like the idea of the over-the-shoulder that I'm sure takes place to everyone with an IP exemption....."we must ensure they aren't doing something wrong...they have an IP exemption"......

There are only ~700 total people online in primetime...the playerbase isn't what one would call big. Here's hoping too many don't get too pissed off and quit altogether.

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
It is a free to play server....if they decided to close up shop tomorrow what would/could you do about it? NOTHING!

If they don't want you boxing....don't do it.

I was going to get an ip exemption for my 3 sons as well as myself, but after everything I've read....I'd rather simply let them play something else. There are just too many ways for it to be "interpreted" incorrectly, and I don't want my account banned for something silly one of my kids may do.

Plus, I don't like the idea of the over-the-shoulder that I'm sure takes place to everyone with an IP exemption....."we must ensure they aren't doing something wrong...they have an IP exemption"......

There are only ~700 total people online in primetime...the playerbase isn't what one would call big. Here's hoping too many don't get too pissed off and quit altogether.

I am sure that GM's are not standing around watching over ever IP exception that they hand out .. I sure they have better things to do... There bunch of husband / wife combo's on this server that never get messed with... Only way admins will start watching you is if you give them reason too... Don't let this one fourm sway your like of this server... This fourm was meerly ment as a joke that went a bit to far...

Messianic
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM

There have been a quite a few EQ PvP servers before this one. In none of those has this been why the population eventually disappears. NONE. Yet, every time a new EQ PvP server opens, the same thing happens over time - consolidation of a couple major guilds down to 2, then to 1, then oblivion.

Why you assume that's the reason here can only be out of ignorance.

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
There have been a quite a few EQ PvP servers before this one. In none of those has this been why the population eventually disappears. NONE. Yet, every time a new EQ PvP server opens, the same thing happens over time - consolidation of a couple major guilds down to 2, then to 1, then oblivion.

Why you assume that's the reason here can only be out of ignorance.

Comon bro you know what they say ignorance is bliss ;) .... Lol I been working at same place for 5 years and still wear my I am in training badge haha.. Makes peeps go else where for help while I keep up to date on fourm reading

Muzyn
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I am sure that GM's are not standing around watching over ever IP exception that they hand out .. I sure they have better things to do... There bunch of husband / wife combo's on this server that never get messed with... Only way admins will start watching you is if you give them reason too... Don't let this one fourm sway your like of this server... This fourm was meerly ment as a joke that went a bit to far...

This makes no sense, absolutely none. How would they know if you gave them reason to watch you if they weren't already there watching over your shoulder? You fail to realize that accounts with IP exemptions have a magnifying glass over them from the moment they log on. How do you think 30 accounts or whatever have been permabanned this week? Amelinda ports from zone to zone to check up on what they're doing..and if anything looks suspicious, bam! That's all she's capable of..don't let them fool you into thinking there's some magic involved.

Messianic
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
if anything looks suspicious, bam!

It's been explained in slightly more detail before - there's more to it than this.

Unless you're a former gm/guide or have some other direct line to specific data, I'm gonna have to say you're full of crap.

This makes no sense, absolutely none. How would they know if you gave them reason to watch you if they weren't already there watching over your shoulder?

Plenty of people report suspicious-looking duos and they could easily be spot-checking common powerleveling destinations or high-zem dungeons, etc...

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Well I can tell you from this my best buddy and his brother play and they never had any problems .. He even PL's me and his brother all the time and they still have never had a problem... Amelinda is good peeps you all fear way to much she is nice as long as your not a cheating 2 boxing, path bugging ass hat. =) the facts on this fourm she even said so herself IP exemptions are totaly cool and they want peeps to play just don't abuse the gd right... They are not gonna ban you for always grouping with your wife/girlfriend/son/daugher/dog/fish/dead hamster..... The staff knows whats up and things to watch for... simple as... don't cheat =)

*** removes his game genie ***
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIPkjnijzHpkyRXSGq4MPrNH5FTz0xR xg4VVTIJCL1JzBqMlZS