PDA

View Full Version : Tip your Porter

Vladigan
03-21-2012, 12:58 AM
I always port for donations, but lately it seems like I am getting swarmed by "Hey man, I need a freebie, I'm broke" Then some level 50+ with pimped out gear stands in front of me, not tipping...

Or a guy who actually claimed to be penniless, then after making understand the stupidity of his claim, he tells me to go "be noble in real life"

Really not trying to R&F, but people please spread the word, time is money... If someone wants a free ride, take the boat, if not, determine how much plat you would pay to save your time running.... that is what you should tip.

When not on my druid I tip a minimum of 30pp. The exception to this rule was when I first started out, even then, I tipped 4-5 pp .. whatever I could....

In the end, I am always wiling to help the less fortunate, if they are the less fortunate... don't be cheap, it makes you look like a DB :)

Kwitchercryn
03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
I really have nothing to add to your post, I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to say that I love your signature picture lol. My friends and I were talking about that one the other day when we went out to our trunks before mission and there was alittle tiny owl sitting on one of them, looking just like the one on the right.

Daldaen
03-21-2012, 01:08 AM
This is why I generally don't port lower levels. You want nostalgia, good you came here. Run from Surefall Glade to Kelethin like I did in 1999 and when I started here I did the same. I didn't get a port or anything like that.

Xanthias
03-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Always try to tip.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Just charge up front if you're that hard up for plat.

Problem solved.

Vladigan
03-21-2012, 01:43 AM

Problem solved.

Obviously you are unable to comprehend the purpose of the post. Its not about plat, its about principle.... I'll port you for nothing, if you are naked, or a true broke noob.

Don't be cheap ... if you got 100pp sitting on you... give 10-20pp to the guy that just saved you an hour run. Especially when you can recoup that 10-20pp after a kill or two at higher levels...

Most importantly, don't tell someone you can't afford to give a tip of appreciation when you are all decked out in twink gear... it is insulting to the person you are asking a service from.....

This isn't exactly college material, not sure how else to explain it for you :P

Kwitchercryn
03-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Run from Surefall Glade to Kelethin like I did in 1999

Its this kinda stuff that makes Classic EQ the awesome game it is. It may be a pain, but adventuring like that is half the fun.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Its not about plat, its about principle.... I'll port you for nothing, if you are naked, or a true broke noob.

Don't be cheap ... if you got 100pp sitting on you... give 10-20pp to the guy that just saved you an hour run.

If you're not going to charge a fee, you lose the right to complain about not getting paid.

It isn't rocket science, it really is that simple, not sure how to explain it to you more clearly for you to be able to understand... if you want plat, just charge, if you don't want plat, don't charge.

What you do NOT do is specifically NOT charge and then complain that people aren't paying you a fee which you didn't ask for in the first place. etc etc.

It's common sense.

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 02:50 AM
If you're not going to charge a fee, you lose the right to complain about not getting paid.

It isn't rocket science, it really is that simple, not sure how to explain it to you more clearly for you to be able to understand... if you want plat, just charge, if you don't want plat, don't charge.

What you do NOT do is specifically NOT charge and then complain that people aren't paying you a fee which you didn't ask for in the first place. etc etc.

It's common sense.

You're being a dick for no real reason, he doesn't charge for ports because he's a nice guy and he doesn't want to put a flat fee for those who cannot afford it. He's simply saying that its sad when people who can afford to pay don't.

Mith0r
03-21-2012, 03:21 AM

It's common sense.

I don't ever see druids' or wizards' demand a specific payment for rides. Do you just assume that's because these people are sitting around all day giving free rides for the hell of it?

You don't tip the pizza man either, do you? Or tip after getting a hair cut? Or tip your waiter / waitress? Aside from certain restaurants, rarely are you ever required to tip. Do you think it's funny to not tip someone, or did someone really teach you somewhere along the way that not tipping is just fine with most people? I mean hey, I don't ever remember the pizza guy or my barber specifically asking for a tip, fuck'em then, right? Hahah. That's a pretty shitty attitude to have.

kingsBlend
03-21-2012, 03:51 AM
I don't ever see druids' or wizards' demand a specific payment for rides. Do you just assume that's because these people are sitting around all day giving free rides for the hell of it?

You don't tip the pizza man either, do you? Or tip after getting a hair cut? Or tip your waiter / waitress? Aside from certain restaurants, rarely are you ever required to tip. Do you think it's funny to not tip someone, or did someone really teach you somewhere along the way that not tipping is just fine with most people? I mean hey, I don't ever remember the pizza guy or my barber specifically asking for a tip, fuck'em then, right? Hahah. That's a pretty shitty attitude to have.

Just like your favorite restaurant, if you want good service next time, you will tip well. This philosophy will possibly get you that free port when you are broke or on a CR. Or even when you are looking for a port in EC, that same person you tipped well will be the first to offer again.

bounky47
03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
The people who complain that you shouldn't expect money because your a Druid and you come with all the ports pretty much free are completely devoid of logic. You can run to dreadlands for 2 hours, or have a Druid port you instantly. Some people can only play for 3 hours a day so that would be invaluable.

All in all time is money and if you don't like it, go roll a porting class and be the free taxi you think they should be.

Leokaiser
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
You're being a dick for no real reason, he doesn't charge for ports because he's a nice guy and he doesn't want to put a flat fee for those who cannot afford it.

Exactly this.

Attaching a flat fee excludes the less well off or those who might not be able to pay anything at that time (hello CRs). In these cases, players often show far more gratitude because you have done a selfless act, and that can be a good enough reward for most players.

However, when it's clear that the person you are helping can afford to offer you something for your time, I find it pretty rude if they don't do so - 10pp can break the bank of a level 5, where 100pp would literally go unnoticed when you are swimming in fungis.

And here's the part that will blow your mind: it isn't even about the plat. I refuse 90%+ of the donations I am offered for rezzing because first and foremost, I'm doing it to help. Donations are not payments - they are a show of gratitude, and if your gratitude isn't worth 0.01% of your wealth, I don't know what to say.

Faisca
03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
As a wizard who doesn’t care much for the money game, I feel porters provide a valuable service to the community and the typical donations do not compensate for the service.

Anyway, people should pay porters with experience, and for that I mean group invites.

When you get a port from Antonica to Kunark, you probably save one hour of travel, and you give what to the porter? 50p?

Would you invite that same porter that took you to DL to group with you for an hour in KC, if he gives you those 50p back?

webrunner5
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't know what to say about any of this lol. When I play my Shaman or Druid I sure as hell don't charge someone for SoW like I see turds doing in the tunnel. "Donations accepted but not Required". Give me a fucking break.

So when I am on my Cleric and someone needs a buff or a heal I ask for plat?? Or on my Enchanter and they need Crack. Give me Plat??

Stop your GOD DAMN crying about Ports. If you don't want to port people go Anon. Everybody in this game adds something to everyone else. Even a Warrior may be able to break a camp for you killing a high HP mob.

If you want to be a "Port Whore" in the tunnel fine. Set a price just like a Hooker does and be happy. If you are just sitting in the tunnel porting you have a very boring life. Get over it.

Acillatem
03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
I used to care about getting tipped, but now I don't. I'm a broke ass WIZ, but simple fact is - if I have the time to port someone I'll do it. It's nice when someone offers me a tip, but unless it's like 20+pp I just turn it down. I can alwayz go smoke a cig while I med back the mana, so no harm no foul. Besides, I know I'm helping someone save some time, and I'm not here to make someone's gameplay LESS enjoyable over a tip dispute.

Hate and Sky tho I usually ask for 250pp. 100pp to cover the stone, 150pp for the risk factor of Hate and the annoyment of losing my buffs in Sky. Those are the only 2 I will ask up front for a specific amount.

webrunner5
03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
I used to care about getting tipped, but now I don't. I'm a broke ass WIZ, but simple fact is - if I have the time to port someone I'll do it. It's nice when someone offers me a tip, but unless it's like 20+pp I just turn it down. I can alwayz go smoke a cig while I med back the mana, so no harm no foul. Besides, I know I'm helping someone save some time, and I'm not here to make someone's gameplay LESS enjoyable over a tip dispute.

Hate and Sky tho I usually ask for 250pp. 100pp to cover the stone, 150pp for the risk factor of Hate and the annoyment of losing my buffs in Sky. Those are the only 2 I will ask up front for a specific amount.

This is the person we should all strive to be on here lol. Good post.

elementalking
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I always tip 50pp min...The King has spoken!

Messianic
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Some people care about their time, others don't. No one should assume everyone should think or be like them, or "strive to be like" someone else. Fact is we're different, and there really isn't an objective way to say who has a better opinion.

So if you expect money, communicate that - if you don't, communicate that too. That way, no one assumes stuff without reason and no one gets all pissy that some people expect tips and no one gets all pissy that some people don't tip.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't tip, I just offer 100pp up front for basic ports, however it is rare that I need them and normally only on alts to get to EC.

Tulvinous
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
http://youtu.be/sn9nnOkASDg

All kidding aside, tip.

Tiggles
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I always tip 100-200 plat i did not know people where cheap.

Rilen
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
This is a double edged sword kind of issue. On the one hand I always pay well for my ports and rezzes, on the other though I hate the bullshit "ports for donation".

If you ask for a donation, it's instantly NOT a donation, because you asked for it. At that point it's some undefined value, and questionably optional.

Imo charge or don't. Don't let it be open ended if you need the cash for your "time".

No one likes a bum, but it's just as much of a douche move to sulk about something you didn't communicate effectively.

gnatte
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I never ask for money for ports I just take what is given, when I was lower I got many free ports so now I pay it back. Money is nice but I push my button for free too.

teekanc
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Ayes! Tip your porters! I always tip if I have money on me, or make it a point to find them afterwards. A really friendly porter i've run into is Kitsy. They are always willing to port me when I need one, and most of the time will come and pick me up where I am!

Yanomamo
03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
When I play my Shaman or Druid I sure as hell don't charge someone for SoW.

Buffs and ports are an entirely different entity. I can't quite explain why, they just are.

What this thread boils down to: Don't be stingy. It's not flattering.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Buffs don't require zoning.

I also believe most people mention "porting/buffing for donations" because you are (in most cases) more likely to get a larger sum of plat that way.

If I know I typically give 100pp and see someone "porting for donations", I will likely give them 100pp. If I see someone saying "ports, 20pp" it is a lot more likely that they will get 20pp.

Odeseus
03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Buffs don't require zoning.

I also believe most people mention "porting/buffing for donations" because you are (in most cases) more likely to get a larger sum of plat that way.

If I know I typically give 100pp and see someone "porting for donations", I will likely give them 100pp. If I see someone saying "ports, 20pp" it is a lot more likely that they will get 20pp.

This. It is dumb to state how much you're asking to port. First, people who will normally pay more will probably just pay what you asked. Second, people who don't have your price won't ask you because they'll assume you won't port without that price met. Get a bad reputation for not porting people on CRs or newbies and you'll have less people coming to you for ports in general.

As for buffs/ports. Buffs do not require you to completely abandon what you're currently doing. Buffing in EC doesn't force me to stop buying/selling. Buffing when I'm camping something or killing mobs makes me stop for a couple mins to get my mana back but it won't force me to give up my camp (usually).

Ports require you to stop whatever you're doing, give up any camp you may have and possibly go pick someone up. Then you have to take them someplace new, and then back to whatever you were doing. Unless someone is just straight up offering rides, you have to abandon whatever else you could be doing to port that person. That is why you donate. Not only are you costing the porter time and money, but forcing them to give up doing anything but porting you.

Don't know if I made that clear, but there is a BIG difference between buffing and porting.

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
This. It is dumb to state how much you're asking to port. First, people who will normally pay more will probably just pay what you asked. Second, people who don't have your price won't ask you because they'll assume you won't port without that price met. Get a bad reputation for not porting people on CRs or newbies and you'll have less people coming to you for ports in general.

As for buffs/ports. Buffs do not require you to completely abandon what you're currently doing. Buffing in EC doesn't force me to stop buying/selling. Buffing when I'm camping something or killing mobs makes me stop for a couple mins to get my mana back but it won't force me to give up my camp (usually).

Ports require you to stop whatever you're doing, give up any camp you may have and possibly go pick someone up. Then you have to take them someplace new, and then back to whatever you were doing. Unless someone is just straight up offering rides, you have to abandon whatever else you could be doing to port that person. That is why you donate. Not only are you costing the porter time and money, but forcing them to give up doing anything but porting you.

Don't know if I made that clear, but there is a BIG difference between buffing and porting.

Luckily druids and wizards are never in groups after 40 :p

Kautin
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi i play a monk, and i wanted to touch on this subject.

I am not about to complain about monks weight allowances but i will just briefly go over it again.

As a monk ill avoid carrying any amount of coin UNLESS i am of course in EC doing the trading/selling etc. Any other time ill be coin less due to the fact my AC will get dropped because it will make me go over my current weight allowance for my lvl.

This being said i normally can not tip you the majority of the time ALTHOUGH there is an exception. For example if i am leaving EC and will most likely take a port ill know to grab some coin from the bank to tip the porter or heck even auction WTB port to destination X. Another circumstance is if i have been xping ill sometimes end up with a few gems so ill end up tipping with precious stones instead of coin.

Although often i might be stuck in the middle where i have neither coin nor gems so i will not be able to tip. I just wanted to give my side of the story and how i manage with this topic.

Port because you can and want to and if you get tipped even better. Knowing you just helped someone get from point a to b should be a reward in itself.

If you only port for plat say so and no ones feelings get hurt.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Kautin, you can buy vendor gems and the porter can sell them for almost the same amount you paid.

Keep a stack of 20 peridots (worth 10pp each, will cost you about 11pp each) and you can give the druid 2 or 3 peridots for the port.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Kautin, will you go and farm me 100pp?

Knowing you just helped me get from point a (my plat) to point b (my plat + 100 more) should be a reward in itself.

Rilen
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
The idea that porting and buffing are entirely different is ridiculous.

Your time is worth nothing, you are playing Everquest. If you're giving a port, your time is being spent porting. Apparently in your case for plat. Therefore your time has gained value. Prior to that it had none.

You choose an action and engage in it. If someone attempts to interrupt said action you must personally weigh the pros and cons of given choice and make the proper forward motion. If you're camping something and someone asks you to port, obviously the decision as to which is more beneficial must play into factor.

What I'm getting at is that NO ONE drops their shit to port other people, for any reason. Giving up your camp or assuming that anyone would ask you to is insane. You port during your idle time so the argument that it somehow affects you otherwise is entirely invalid.

Faisca
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Luckily druids and wizards are never in groups after 40 :p

Exactly!

Apparently, in P99, porters are supposed to be playing by themselves in a corner of the world and stop what they are doing to provide taxi services for a few coins, and when the service is finished they are supposed to get back to that same corner until taxi services are required again, cause people don’t want them in their groups.

Well, to me that’s not fair nor fun.

If people want to have their perfect group set, fine. But if you’re never going to invite porters for groups, you shouldn’t be bothering them for ports either.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I almost always do.

What's the tip rate for Kunark? Someone said 300pp? That's extreme, I'll just take the boat.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Rilen, a porter making themselves available during "idle time" is giving up time they could be grinding solo, in most cases trading off the xp and plat from grinding for plat via porting (at less risk).

However, what you are stating is equivalent to saying someone should go and power level for free if they have idle time, as their time is worth nothing right?

If a druid has an option of grinding 500pp an hour, or porting for 300pp an hour, I'd hope he is porting, as that means it is easier for the community to travel.

Fultun
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I had a couple people pay VERY well for a quick port somewhere, and a few weeks later I was wandering around Qeynos helping a friend with quest turns and saw one of them /oocing for a CR port.

Remembering how generous they were I sent them a tell that I'd take them, and they're first response was "It's for a CR so I can't pay you til later if that is ok", and my response was "This ones on me, meet me at the gate"

I've had another where I saw a player asking in EC for a bind in FP, and I said I'd do it and meet me in WFP. on my I saw his corspe near the inn, and sent him a tell. He said he had gotten killed by the guard (he was an lvl 3 Iksar), and was bound in Cabalis. Felling bad for the guy (been there done that), I ported to DL, ran to LoIO and picked him up, brought him to WC, and ran him to WFP for the bind.

A few weeks later I got stomped by a giant in Rathe, but was still bound in FV at my kiting spot, and suddenly got a tell from the Iksar who came across my corpse and had a high level cleric with him, so he dragged my corpse to his party and they rezzed me, which saved me a little running.

Even in EQ, what goes around comes around.

aerah
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I had a post half-written, but I think Kautin put it best:

If you only port for plat say so and no ones feelings get hurt.

I do feel like I should add:

Asking for a donation is asinine, it's no longer a donation. The reason you do that, instead of charging a <flat/variable> fee, is generally because you're betting the person will give you more plat for your services than what you think they're worth. Example: If you're offering a port for 20p, but someone would have paid 100p, you aren't losing if you get the "sale." You've valued your service at a rate, and got that compensation. To make an EC analogy of what that example is about, if I put any item in a trade window with someone and said "just give me what you think is fair," it's my own fault if someone gives me 100p for a 1kp item.

If tipping is such a problem, and you don't want to charge a "flat" fee because you don't want to scare off the lowbies, offer a variable rate based on level and/or gear. You know, negotiate for the services you're about to provide. I'm sure it won't take more than 30seconds for you to list a price and the person to accept.

Left to my own devices, I'll give anywhere from 30-50p for a port, and 50p more for each boat I'll miss.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Disclaimer: While I'm in favor of tipping porters/buffers, I have rarely ever gotten a tip when doing buffs (and in most cases I am giving out plat to lower levels).

I think what the OP was indicating is that if you have it and are stingy, you are being rude.

If you do not have it, he doesn't expect anything from you.

Using, "well, you said donation so that means I can give you nothing even though I have hundreds on me" is just a rude move.

Kika Maslyaka
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
port fee = level*2 ;)
I had druid as main on live, and while I have never auctioned porting/buffing for donation, I still remember being VERY upset when a long time ago, my level 10 shaman was asked for SOW by some lev 50 dude, and didn't got as much as "thx" in return. At level 10 40 mana was a LOT for me. If he would given me as much as 5 gold, even then i would have been eternally grateful.

PS. personally I believe that this was a bad mechanic design by verant. No class should have gotten spells that can generate cash from other players. Wizard/Druid porting model works in 1 group DnD setting, but in MMo it gives unfair money generating advantage to these classes, while being balanced off by having penalized combat skills. Ports should have been self-only, or group port should cost a reagent that would cost like 500plat from a merchant.
Same applies to enchanter being the only one who can enchant bars.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I think a plat per level is pretty generous for most ports.

20pp for a port as an untwinked level 10 is expensive, while 100pp for a port at 50 as a non-solo class is expensive as well.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I get tips for cracking people, but nothing for SoWing them. I found that interesting.

I can see how time = pp. I guess the issue I have is that mana, casting a spell and medding is ultimately free. So then in essence you're paying for their time.

Still, 300pp+ just to get around in the game? I recall ports being like 20pp at most and desperate people paying MAYBE 100pp.

I found that sending a tell and working something out goes a lot farther than just throwing a bunch of money in someone's face.

Haul
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Problem solved.

Isn't about being hard up for plat. Hes talkin bout cheap and ignorant noobs not tipping correctly. It's the principle of paying for a service/time. Anything below 30pp is a terrible tip imho, and anyone with plat should tip 50-100pp.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Also, I almost always carry 50pp with me just for tipping ports, SoW and rezzers.

:rolleyes:

erog84
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I remember lvling up my druid, and I was dead broke from the 100 spells I had to buy every 5 levels. A lot of people were saying how once I get ports I would make mad cash (1k + an hour ) by porting..... Now I just laugh at that. I never have charged for a port, and from newbies I cancel trade when they try to pay me their 1pp 5 gold tip. It's nice when you get that rich guy tipping 150+ once every 3 days or so, but if I averaged out each port (included the non charges) I'd make probably about 10pp a port. I used to port ALL the time, now I have no issues telling people I am not porting currently(unless it's the "hey can you spare a port for cr? ", those get me everytime). I get the same way though, I see a twink that has 300k + gear on him, and he tips 5pp, compared to a guy who is worth about 200 plat and tips 15.

Side topic, I have never charged for a rez on my cleric, and most times I refuse payment. I will even run a few zones over and rez people, or awhile back I was bound in unrest, and would pop in there once a day and check to see if anyone needed rezs(sometimes spending an hour rezzing). And then I try to get a rez for myself and the cleric messages back " well im 3 zones away..... so that is going to be 300pp ", when I know all they are doing is sitting in commons... Yea it's their right to charge, but still just rubs me the wrong way!

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
It all depends on how much effort it'll take. If someone is sitting in OT grinding and they are willing to port, I know that they're probably bound in OT and can just gate back so i just throw em 50 - 100 pp. One time I was on my monk and I needed a port, but couldn't pay them so I asked them to run to EC so I could pay them on my mule, for that I paid a bit extra cause they had to run to EC.

For cleric rezzes, I pay more for the higher percentage and once again how hard it would be for the cleric to get there. 500 pp minimum for rezzes in OOT because I know what a pain in the ass it is to take the boat.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
All I got from this thread is that a lot of people are really really dumb...

You expect plat from people but absolutely refuse to ask for it and become upset when no one pays you.
That's teenage-girl level of logic right there.

If you do it for free, that's commendable.
If you do it for free but expect payment, you aren't doing it for free in the first place and should charge a fee instead of crying when no one pays.
The.End.

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM

You expect plat from people but absolutely refuse to ask for it and become upset when no one pays you.

If you do it for free but expect payment, you aren't doing it for free in the first place and should charge a fee instead of crying.
The.End.

you clearly didn't read this thread

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 12:51 PM
you clearly didn't read this thread

You clearly don't use common sense.

You said I was a dick for using common sense, I'd say you are unintelligent for always assuming things because I did read the thread.

Here is a summary of the thread:

Guy1: I am mad because I don't get paid for doing something I advertise as free
Guy2: I know right!
Guy3: Yeah people are jerks for not paying!!!
Guy1: I mean, I'm giving people my TIME and MANA , I should get paid
Me: If you want to get paid so badly, why not just charge?
Guy1: WHOA, NO WAY DUDE that's just not cool, actually telling people I want to be paid would be lame
Guy3: I would never charge for any of this! (I demand payment anyway though)
Me: /facepalm

etc etc. I'm out, this thread was very dumb...

Kassel
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Porting for donations =/= porting for free.

All it means is that the cost for the port if dependant on your ability to pay, a donation is still required unless refused by the service provider.

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
You clearly don't use common sense.

You said I was a dick for using common sense, I'd say you are unintelligent for always assuming things because I did read the thread.

Here is a summary of the thread:

etc etc. I'm out, this thread was very dumb...

you missed the most important part of the thread, they dont charge because they don't want money from everyone, just the people who can afford to pay the 100 pp. You're just saying the same thing over and over again without taking that into account.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Porting for donations =/= porting for free.

All it means is that the cost for the port if dependant on your ability to pay, a donation is still required unless refused by the service provider.

Donation: a voluntary gift.
An optional contribution to a charitable cause or fund.

they dont charge because they don't want money from everyone...

Then they should charge or not complain, end of discussion.

You're just saying the same thing over and over again without taking that into account.

Actually that's what you're doing except without taking into account common sense.

Here, let me fix this for you:
"Porting for 2 plat for each level you've gained"

Done.

If someone CHOOSES not to pay an OPTIONAL fee, they have done nothing wrong and you have zero right to complain.
The prosecution rests sir.

Hitchens
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
you missed the most important part of the thread, they dont charge because they don't want money from everyone, just the people who can afford to pay the 100 pp.

Someone decked out in gear and rolling in plat doesn't neglect to tip because they're unaware that tipping is tactful. They neglect to tip because they don't have to and don't want to. I doubt this thread will convince them otherwise.

Wotsirb401
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I generally tip 30pp-100pp depending on the urgency etc. The only time I pay less or nothing is on my new monk, which he never carries plat on him=( I try to pay them later on my EC trader

Nordenwatch
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
When a porter says "porting for donations" you know damn well that they want money, but don't want to specify an amount. Just because the literal meaning of "donation" means a voluntary gift does not mean that the porter wont be sad if no one gave them anything.

I think the problem is you're taking everything too literally, unpack the meaning of what people say. Why would they sit in EC advertising that they port for donations if it was cool that no one paid them?

When I needed money in my lower levels I didn't tip if I could avoid it, because I couldn't afford it. Now that I can afford it, I pay.

And porters have a right to complain just as you have the right to not pay your porter.

Yanomamo
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Also, I almost always carry 50pp with me just for tipping ports, SoW and rezzers.

:rolleyes:

I assume the eye roll means you dont? well you should. Except i would add SoW never requires a tip. Just /bow.

Summary of thread: Don't be a stinge-ball

Yanomamo
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I generally tip 30pp-100pp depending on the urgency etc. The only time I pay less or nothing is on my new monk, which he never carries plat on him=( I try to pay them later on my EC trader

Someone already said this, but what you need to do is carry Peridots. A stack of peridots is essentially 20 10p chips which weigh 0.1

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I assume the eye roll means you dont? well you should.

Incorrect assumption.

The eye roll means I'm pointing out expected behavior.

Danyelle
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
I assume the eye roll means you dont? well you should. Except i would add SoW never requires a tip. Just /bow.

Summary of thread: Don't be a stinge-ball

Ok...why?

It's basically the same as a port, all they are is mana, granted the porting takes the time to port and come back but when you take into account that the porter, 90% of the time, meets the following anywa:

1. is bound in EC and can gate back. thus makes it a matter of 30 seconds to a minute of wasted time at max
2. Is sitting in EC offering the ports already and/or not doing anything but staring at auctions and thus isn't really doing anything with his/her time to be wasted

I must ask what makes a port qualify more for a donation than SoW?

I must quote you on this: don't be a stinge-ball

Jakob
03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
This is actually a good thread for a question I've been having for a long while. I just recently started playing and just dinged 34 last night. I'm not swimming in plat, that's for sure. I do tip every single time I get a port. However, I never know just how much I should tip per port. I typically tip around 10pp because that's what I can afford. So the question is:

What is considered a typical tip amount given the level of the person getting ported?

Danyelle
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Depends on the porter (is he/she a generous person or a fuckhat?), your level, the port destination (is it a simple location or somewhere like on Kunark?) and the plat you have.

It's also a donation, not Wal-Mart, so there's no set price ;P

Let me give a few examples. I have always donated for ports as well. Here's how my pricing ranges typically work.

If the destination is a port on Antonica, Odus or Faydwer thats generally 15 plat. If it's Kunark it's typically 20-25.
If the guy is nice and doesn't ask for anything that's an additional 5-10 plat tacked onto the donation. If he's a jackass and demands plat upfront I usually cut the entire donation down to 5-10 plat to spite him.
If I'm level 20 or lower i keep it at about 10-15 plat. level 20-40 I keep it at about 20-25 plat. level 40+ I donate 30-40 plat per port

It scales from there. This is, of course, just how i make my donations and isn't something you necessarily have to follow.

EDIT: oh I forgot a variable too. If you're evil and the port is to NK I usually tack on a couple plat for the invis. I also tack on extra plat if he/she offers SoW with the port. If you're on a CR this may affect prices as well depending on whether the plat is on your body or not.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
What is considered a typical tip amount given the level of the person getting ported?

Well, according to all of these ballers in this thread, 500pp+ since "Druids can make more per hour killing sea furies in OOT."

My argument? It's a whole lot less work porting strangers around IMO.

Someone already said this, but what you need to do is carry Peridots. A stack of peridots is essentially 20 10p chips which weigh 0.1

Screw monk only, I'm going to start doing this. My TSK fat ass is already pushing it to the limit (LIMIT!) with plate armor. Fuck carrying around a bunch of coins.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
holy shit this formula is complex
lol
If the destination is a port on Antonica, Odus or Faydwer thats generally 15 plat.

I always thought ports to Odus were free, but the return trip was 1k?

:confused:

YouseewhatIdidthere?

Kassel
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Donation: a voluntary gift.
An optional contribution to a charitable cause or fund.

Then they should charge or not complain, end of discussion.

Actually that's what you're doing except without taking into account common sense.

Here, let me fix this for you:
"Porting for 2 plat for each level you've gained"

Done.

If someone CHOOSES not to pay an OPTIONAL fee, they have done nothing wrong and you have zero right to complain.
The prosecution rests sir.

1) Porting for dontations

When you do something FOR a donation, you are implying a donation is required, thus removing the volunatry aspect of it. A fee is required but the specific amount of the fee is variable based on many factors.

2) Porting ! Donations accepted.

If you do something and advertise that donations are acepted but not required, this reinstates the voluntary aspect of the arangment and you get what you get if people feel they want to donate.

- When people use the word "FOR" infront of donations it changes the meaning, it implies the donation is consideration for the exhange of time/mana (the port).

What i do on my druid (or did rather, i dont play him much anymore) was advertise that i was porting (no comment on donations) People pay what they pay. I cancel trade for lowbies/CR etc... I think i have had like 3 ppl stiff me in 15 months. oh well !

Sickle
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
50-100 PP per port. EC to EJ 150-200 pp since it involves running to KC.

TIP YOUR PORTER! Its the cool thing to do

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
1) Porting for dontations
When you do something FOR a donation, you are implying a donation is required, thus removing the volunatry aspect of it. A fee is required but the specific amount of the fee is variable based on many factors.
2) Porting ! Donations accepted.
If you do something and advertise that donations are acepted but not required, this reinstates the voluntary aspect of the arangment and you get what you get if people feel they want to donate.

Donations, by definition, are not obligatory, regardless of people's anti-pedantic ways.

Just set up a price if you expect people to pay you for something you're advertising as free.
I would never pay anyone for a service they are offering me for free.

Why does this concept confuse so many people?

mefdinkins
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm a 36 druid now and played a druid in classic - here are my thoughts. I have never advertised 'porting for donations'. If I'm leaving a zone soon I might ask if anyone needs a port out and I play without anon on usually, so I get the occasional tell and I respond to the occasional /ooc looking for port.

I never ask for an amount or charge a fee, if someone says how much I say feel free to tip if you like. For people wondering if they should tip or how much -- my porting situations tend to fall into a few categories.

1) I never accept any tips from lowbies with obviously welfare gear and I never accept money from friends, guildies, group members.

2) If an individual hooks me up with 100p, I will always be willing to do a favor for him next time.

3) If an individual is on a CR or explains why they have no plat (ei: monk or something) I don't judge them or care.

4) If an individual who is decked out in ridiculous gear and level 60 requests a port and tips me 5p, I do feel slighted though.

5) If I'm making a huge sacrifice - like risking losing my camp or going to have to make a huge run to get back, I will politely refuse or let the portee know and see if they are willing to compensate me for that.

All in all, I accept the 'tip if you like' approach at my own risk. All in all, it's free plat - 20-50p seems about average and is great in my opinion for higher level characters, sometimes I get more, sometimes less.

TLDR: - I'm just saying what everyone else did.

Kassel
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Donations, by definition, are not obligatory, regardless of people's anti-pedantic ways.

Just set up a price if you expect people to pay you for something you're advertising as free.

I understand your point, my position is that a donation is no longer voluntary when the provider has advised his client that the port is conditional based on a required donation.

the best
03-21-2012, 03:22 PM
1pp per level or free if you are naked, even if you want to undress in front of me.

webrunner5
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I am not against people giving a Porter a tip. I always tip unless it is a CR, and I write down the persons name and find them later and give them a tip in game.

And on live I was a KeI Whore in PoK. Made tons of plat. Lots of it. But I NEVER, NEVER asked for a donation or set a price. If someone gave me 500 plat or no plat well that was that. This is a game, we are suppose to be having fun lol. I just don't like the "Donations accepted but not required" and Porting to "everywhere" shit for 50 plat crap.

Like no one but a Druid has to pay for spells? Pet classes have to pay for spells and pet casting thingy's, and Clerics buying Peridots etc.

Just stop the I WANT money to do you a favor. That is all. I will give you money, just stop begging for it!!

Maze513
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
sometimes on my shaman Ill just buff the shit outta the porter, cuz after all, all they spent was mana so I can atleast do the same thing

Danyelle
03-21-2012, 03:32 PM
1pp per level or free if you are naked, even if you want to undress in front of me.

This is an effective method, I've tried. I also try to cry some while undressing as sometimes the Druid will give ME plat.

Within99
03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
This is an effective method, I've tried. I also try to cry some while undressing as sometimes the Druid will give ME plat.

That's deep.

Vladigan
03-21-2012, 03:38 PM

If you do it for free but expect payment, you aren't doing it for free in the first place and should charge a fee instead of crying when no one pays.
The.End.

This just in... all ports for you now cost a flat fee of 10,000k plat... enjoy your boat rides :) Everyone else is still allowed to DONATE whatever they can afford.... just don't pull up up in a limo and give a nickel tip, you wont ride again... :)

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
a donation is no longer voluntary when the provider has advised his client that the port is conditional based on a required donation.

When a donation stops being voluntary, it stops being a donation and becomes a fee and we come back to my original point.

What you and the others want is to charge a fee but for some reason you don't want to admit that.
If you refuse to charge a fee and rely on donations, you are offering the service for free.

This is going in circles, gg thread, I've made my point and refuted the bad logic of OP.

BarackObooma
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Grozmok;596091]Well, according to all of these ballers in this thread, 500pp+ since "Druids can make more per hour killing sea furies in OOT."

I can speak to the comparative opportunity cost of porting vs. quadding seafuries.

After a sample size of 750-1000 seafuries I can tell you that the average seafury drops an average of 41pp in coin, gem and other vendor loot. Killing Seafuries equates to an average of 164pp per quad. This averages about 800pp an hour. If there's very few people killing them, you can make 1000pp an hour and if there's a lot of people fighting for them (in which case I usually do something else), it can be as bad as 200-400pp an hour.

As a wizard, it takes about 70%-80% of my mana pool (decent gear, not uber) to quad. To port someone and then self port somewhere (not factoring in running time), the mana it would equate to would be 37pp.

Thunderstruck AkaBarackObooma
57 Wizard

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Boat doesn't take all that long to ride.

usually 20~30 min's to get to dreadlands.. beats standing around shouting for a port lol

I'll shout once or twice.. if nobody is porting its boat time for me. (it's not like you have to stare at your character once its on the boat.. do something else browse the webs ;p)

yes i do tip.. i think everybody should.. in fact i shout WTB port even to let them know i will be "tipping"

erog84
03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
When a donation stops being voluntary, it stops being a donation and becomes a fee and we come back to my original point.

What you and the others want is to charge a fee but for some reason you don't want to admit that.
If you refuse to charge a fee and rely on donations, you are offering the service for free.

This is going in circles, gg thread, I've made my point and refuted the bad logic of OP.

That is a cool shirt you have! Man she is Hot! Those sentences don't even make sense right, let me whip out my dictionary and prove it! /sarcasm

Anyone with common sense knows when someone says " porting for donations " that they are not REQUIRING anything, but it would be nice to tip them.... When you join group for port the druid doesn't say " where is my tip? no tip no port ", but they sure as heck feel good when they get one. The point people are trying to make (which is VERY easy to understand) is when you are courteous enough to give a port, the person getting ported should be courteous enough to pay what they can. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes its 1pp and other times it 200pp, that is why they say Porting for Donations, instead of porting for 100pp. I don't think it's too hard to understand, but if you are deadset about the "technical definition" of something, then I'm sure there are a lot of other things you can get confused about too.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I can speak to the comparative opportunity cost of porting vs. quadding seafuries.

After a sample size of 750-1000 seafuries I can tell you that the average seafury drops an average of 41pp in coin, gem and other vendor loot. Killing Seafuries equates to an average of 164pp per quad. This averages about 800pp an hour. If there's very few people killing them, you can make 1000pp an hour and if there's a lot of people fighting for them (in which case I usually do something else), it can be as bad as 200-400pp an hour.

As a wizard, it takes about 70%-80% of my mana pool (decent gear, not uber) to quad. To port someone and then self port somewhere (not factoring in running time), the mana it would equate to would be 37pp.

57 Wizard

All this math hurts my walnut sized troll brain.

I guess my point was that I felt (totally anecdotal, as always) the amount of work involved scaled directly proportionate to the amount of coin received.

just don't pull up up in a limo and give a nickel tip, you wont ride again... :)

C'mon dude, the smart gamers bag their shit before sending a tell.

Scavrefamn
03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
/snip

Heh , you're the one that's confused, look at the title thread.
Your position is the one that is "waaah"ing about how things are, not mine.

I will never pay someone for something they are offering for free which is what you do. You ask for no pay, offer for free but then complain when people take you up on your offer, not sure what part of that is difficult for you to understand...

Okay NOW I'm out, oh and thanks for the free ports ;)

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Grozmok;596091]Well, according to all of these ballers in this thread, 500pp+ since "Druids can make more per hour killing sea furies in OOT."

57 Wizard

This is why porters are rare sometimes.. people aren't willing to tip enough to make it worth their while.

It's usually people leveling up trying to afford spells or mid level gear that do ports.

I guarantee if somebody shouted.. WTB port 500 plat they would get one fairly quickly.

tristantio
03-21-2012, 04:33 PM
I get this definition for donation btw:

do·na·tion   [doh-ney-shuhn]
noun
1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

I do not see where it mentions voluntary, however, looking further into being literal, look at "voluntary":

vol·un·tar·y   [vol-uhn-ter-ee]
adjective
1.done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice: a voluntary contribution.
2.of, pertaining to, or acting in accord with the will: voluntary cooperation.

A voluntary donation does not necessarily mean optional, it means done by your own choice. If you choose not to, you do not meet the requirement of "porting for donations".

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
yah like a charity dinner or whatever..

you need to donate to get a seat at the table.

azeth
03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
itt: semantic arguements

just dont be a dick. there ya go, hunger/war solved.

dont be a motherfuckin dick

tristantio
03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Perfect analogy. Just because it's a donation of an amount specified by the contributor does not mean a sum of 0 still counts as a donation ($1 or 1pp would, however at charities you will often see "minimum donation of $xxx for seating").

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
This is what I love about EverQuest players, they're so passionate about everything.

WTF YOU CHANGED THE COLOR OF THE NEWBIE TUNIC!

timoris
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I always tip 30pp for ports. I also always pay 20pp to clerics I group with for their pdot expenditure.

leezard
03-21-2012, 05:02 PM
MY time is worth plat. Seriously. If I want to go somewhere in Norrath, depending on where, it can take anywhere from 15mins running to around an hour or more to boat/run.

Now for people who have around 12 hours to play a night/day, I guess the time is worth very little. I tend to be online alot evenings, but only actually playing a couple three hours a night, so NOT having to run or boat is pretty valuable to me. If I spend an hour getting from EC to OT via running, rafting, then boating, thats around 1/3 of my available time, or more! I tip 25-30p most times, if ii have the cash and dude was on top of my request (i.e. I /ooc LF port to (xx), and i get a tell within 20 seconds) then I will tip 50. ATM I'm not high enough to be lookin for the more complicated ones, but IF I was looking for an evac or P/U, I would tip more.

Now, not everyone always has that much plat to spare, even in the 30's and 40's due to upgrading gear, spells, and I dont expect ppl to pay what anyone else does, but I know there are ALOT of ppl who tip 15g. or 5p. If even. I can understand this from a low lvl who is relatively new. But to the guys with manastones and 100's k in the bank, thats weak man. They ARE doing you a service, regardless of the cost to THEM. If MY time is worth plat....What is theirs worth ?

I really dont get why tipping for ports is such a big deal tbh if all druids QUIT porting, you guys would start foaming at the mouth heh.

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
wow didn't realize people tipped that bad.

I usually do 50~100 plat

a_pet
03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Every port/buff tipping thread is like a weird, twisted debate on legislating morality.

It's boring discussing it w/ my girlfriend for the thousandth time, & even more so in EQ.

Grozmok
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
if all druids QUIT porting, you guys would start foaming at the mouth heh.

That would be so awesome. It would be Occupy Norrath.

Flunklesnarkin
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Every port/buff tipping thread is like a weird, twisted debate on legislating morality.

It's boring discussing it w/ my girlfriend for the thousandth time, & even more so in EQ.

good way to sum up the thread ;p

Yanomamo
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok...why?

It's basically the same as a port, all they are is mana, granted the porting takes the time to port and come back but when you take into account that the porter, 90% of the time, meets the following anywa:

1. is bound in EC and can gate back. thus makes it a matter of 30 seconds to a minute of wasted time at max
2. Is sitting in EC offering the ports already and/or not doing anything but staring at auctions and thus isn't really doing anything with his/her time to be wasted

I must ask what makes a port qualify more for a donation than SoW?

I must quote you on this: don't be a stinge-ball

Sow costs 40 mana and 4.5 seconds to cast. A port from the tunnel and back would take 450 mana and about 4-5 minutes of running and zoning. They are in no way the same.

You really shouldn't assume 90% of porters are bound in EC. Anyone with the ability to port should be bound directly at their grinding spot or some other obscure place. We can already port to WC.

Also, i like being in EC. I absolutely LOVE buffing nublings, and I don't find watching auctions to be a waste of time.

ITT: people have differing viewpoints and opinions

Don't be a dick.

sedrie.bellamie
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
a druid is my main, so i tip 75 plat when on my alts.

karbearjaxon
03-22-2012, 12:14 AM
As a druid, I personally don't advertise that I'm porting. I spend a lot of time in EC when my leveling partner isn't on, and I just wait for people to /auc or /ooc looking for port or sow, or to send me a tell. Depending on what times I'm in EC, I can make 1k pp + in a days time. I don't mind doing it for free, especially if you're up front about it and say hey, I can't afford it. Also, if someone is on a corpse run, and they say hey if you follow me to my corpse I'll give you a donation, I'll tell them not to worry about it. I also don't mind taking donations in gp, especially if you're trying to dump weight while going from zone to zone. My bind point is in front of a bank, so if I get too over weight, I can just gate and change it, no biggie to me. Unfortunately, I don't know my way around most zones, so if you ask me to pick you up from some where other then the druid rings and I don't know the zone, I'll be up front with you about it. If it's going to take you 5 minutes to get to the rings, that's cool with me, I'll be there waiting for you. If someone else asks me for a port during the wait time, I'll check with you to see how close you are, if you are close enough that you'll be waiting on me if I do the port, I'll gladly ask the second person if they don't mind waiting until I can get the first port done. I quite frequently will let people know that anytime they need a port, as long as I'm not anon/role (I only do this when my leveling partner is on) I'll be glad to port them anytime.

The thing that actually gets to me is the person who yells wtb port or the person who has seen someone else saying wtb port then yells same, then doesn't actually "buy" it. You answer them, port them, they just say thanks and take off. Yes, most of the time just saying thanks is fine, but don't say or imply that you are willing to pay for the port if you aren't.

Vostok
03-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Just touching on this.
If you can tip just fucking tip, just tip something, whatever you can, even just make an attempt to tip. it's just called being polite. who gives a fuck if they call it donations, or whatever, stop being such a fucking autist about it.

Also, not everything has to be black and white as like
ALL PEOPLE PAY 100P FLAT FEE END OF RINE

take things by a case by case basis, corpse run? new character? broke monk with a weight problem? level 60 with pimp gear carrying 5k on them at all times?

Just use some social skills. Know a player is gonna be a douche bag? guess whos walking or finding another ride at 4 in the morning.

When I was a pizza delivery guy, I would always remember those dicks that acted like assholes, made stupid comments/demands (MY PIZZA TOOK 35 MINUTES I WANT IT FREE), and usually never tipped. They usually ended up with pubic surprise.

CBG
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
I've got a set of pretty decent gear from donations from friends I met in game - Wu's, a Wu stick, etc. That being said, at lvl 20ish, I have maybe 150pp to my name. Can I afford a 5-10pp tip for a port? Sure, and I'm happy to do it. But 100-300pp? Sure, let me not have any money...come on

SCB
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I had a druid get all huffy with me because my 30pp tip wasn't good enough for him. Guy literally refused payment, asked me if I was serious, then gated away. I consider myself a pretty good tipper, and while this wasn't exceptionally high, it was 30pp added on to a port he was already doing.

There really just is no pleasing some people.

Eldaran
03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I have taken the boat from Butcherblock to East Freeport many times and will still do it. I play a cleric and they are broke most of the time. I'd rather walk than have to beg a stranger.

Grozmok
03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
They usually ended up with pubic surprise.

Yeah, this is why I don't fuck around with people that feed me or fix me.

What's the EverQuest equivalent of "pubic surprise" ?

:D

Nordenwatch
03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Heh , you're the one that's confused, look at the title thread.
Your position is the one that is "waaah"ing about how things are, not mine.

I will never pay someone for something they are offering for free which is what you do. You ask for no pay, offer for free but then complain when people take you up on your offer, not sure what part of that is difficult for you to understand...

Okay NOW I'm out, oh and thanks for the free ports ;)

Lesson of the day: don't do anything for this guy

Danyelle
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Trains

Alex
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Lesson of the day: don't do anything for this guy

Anyone know this guy's character names (Scavrefamn)

Grozmok
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Trains

Fair enough.

Vostok
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM

porting them to toxx or something similar

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
This is a double edged sword kind of issue. On the one hand I always pay well for my ports and rezzes, on the other though I hate the bullshit "ports for donation".

If you ask for a donation, it's instantly NOT a donation, because you asked for it. At that point it's some undefined value, and questionably optional.

Imo charge or don't. Don't let it be open ended if you need the cash for your "time".

No one likes a bum, but it's just as much of a douche move to sulk about something you didn't communicate effectively.

All I see here is somone who can't even understand what they wrote in the first place.... As you can see above I made it nice and bold for you..... "ports for donations" this doesn't mean free, this means I will take you ass some where for some plat... It is the basics of the game yo... Somone ports you, you tip.. 5 plat... 10 plat... 1000000 plat.... Just tip.. Really druids got better things to do then port port port... Like PL PL PL lol

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrJckk7eXZQprU4-YiR1LcRyIBL59KFjbuQo8YUPsmSY5cIA5i

Now come give me a hug!!! And a rule of thumb... What is Everquest is ever free.. Besides this server!!

Scavrefamn
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
"ports for donations" this doesn't mean free

That's exactly what it means.

Donation is the act by which the owner of a thing voluntarily transfers the title and possession of the same from himself to another person

VOLUNTARY: Willingly.
Done with one's consent.
Derived from one's choice.

A donation is by definition voluntary/optional, what you're thinking of is a fee.
/exits thread

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
That's exactly what it means.

A donation is by definition voluntary/optional, what you're thinking of is a fee.
/exits thread

And once again... You type before you think... Lets slow down and look at this when somone says PORTING FOR DONATIONS THAT MEANS give your plat and I will port you where you need to go... SO by saying this it means donate what you can for the mana I am wasting on you!... *cheer* no rage bro just say ..... and /exits thread... Shut up you not leaving this alone you be back

And Http://www.dictionary.com ftw for you?

KentalCowtipper
03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
This is a matter of personal integrity and class of the person being ported. Its definitely not an issue with the person doing the port but the person being ported.

If someone offers a port and you need one - its going to save you a lot of time. I'm at a loss as to how anyone can justify that, when able, tipping should not be expected of the person being ported. If that nice Wizard or Druid who just saved you a 20-40 minute run had not have ported you they could be using the mana and time they just burned to earn plat and/or experience.

Its just a plain dick move not to tip if you can (CRs/Lower Level people not withstanding).

I was reading a post from a fellow monk and yes, we get the short end when it comes to weight allowance. The only way around this is to buy stacks of gems or stockpile them from Seb/HS/Etc camping. Every porter I've met would be happy to receive a gem or two (Fire Emeralds or Sapphires are nice and stack). I always try to give to at least 2-3 gems if I don't have plat on me for a port. Or if you don't have that as a monk - get creative. I've traded 10 minutes of PLing in OT for a port before when I was out of gems. The porter was beyond happy -he got a a yellow and half in 10 minutes in exchange for a port. I bet that guy offers ports more often now :D

Porters - We all appreciate the hell out of you guys offering ports. Please continue to do so. Maybe its time to get a little pro-active and keep a personal list of people who you have ported, who you see with thousands of plat in gear and yet they stiffed you on a tip. Blacklist them personally and don't port them again might be the best solution.

Perhaps we could start a "I rezed/ported this guy and they were a dick and stiffed me on a tip" thread. One post from one person might not make much of an impression but if there are half a dozen posts about one guy from different porters who all say this person never tips and is a jerk about it - why that person might soon find it hard to find a port. They can then see how much fun they have spending a 1/5 or whatever it works out to of their play time running where they want to go.

Don't be douchebags. Tip your porters if you can.

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Cowtipper did you use to play on the EZ Server?

KentalCowtipper
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Heya Mojo yeah I used to play on EZ from about Sept 09 to end of 2010 or so. Was an officer in Forbidden Prophecy for a while.
( BTW for people who dont know EZ = Extended Zone.. not easy. Love that misconception. Sure the first 5-10 hours of your play life is pretty easy.. from there its a pretty sharp curve :D)

All things considered it was an interesting and fun server; only thing that got me was the boxing. With 95%+ of the server running at least 3 toons at a time you had to box or you couldn't compete. I was finishing out T4 for my zerker one day when it dawned on me I wasn't having fun running 15 simultaneous toons just to farm T4 faster.. WTF was I doing lol. Thats nuts.. So I moved to p99 and lucked way way out - I found out one of the guilds I was in on Fennin back in 2000 had set up on p99 - TMO. I've been beyond happy hanging with old friends here since.
Plus I keep my sanity playing 1 character at a time.

I'll admit I miss EZ server from time to time. The people were nice. The community there had some fun people and the encounters were unique but I just cant' see enjoying a game while playing 15 toons at once.

Who were you on EZ out of curiosity? Do you remember Easter last when I got nostalgic and l logged on and gave away about 30 4.0 epic book in Nexus? Thats the last time I logged on really so I figure you might remember me from then.

Mojoz_Mon
03-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Eh was just a loner there lol thing big you did give me one of my epic books lol name was Uzesh.. Froggy SK woo :) ya fun server kinda just gets old lol I played 4 toons

Vladigan
03-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Anyone know this guy's character names (Scavrefamn)

I believe his name is Eliphas, seen it in game, and he is now on the don't do anything for this guy list... its a short list but growing )

Visual
03-24-2012, 01:08 AM
youre a scrub if youre in the position to pay and choose not to

Mojoz_Mon
03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
youre a scrub if youre in the position to pay and choose not to

Pretty much

Yanomamo
03-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure i saw someone named the same thing as his forum name.

Rasah
03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Want to know how much to tip? Try this experiment. Go to OT, and advertise how much you intend to tip for a port to your location. /ooc Paying 20p for a port to WC. See how long it takes for someone to answer. If nothing, up it to 30, then 50. Eventually, someone will answer your calls. Try this enough times, and you should quickly find out what others' time is worth to them.

Depending on how busy I am, I might stop what I'm doing to port someone for 50. Sometimes not. If I am even marginally busy, I will NEVER port someone who claims they are "tipping". I'm too busy to f around with that. I'm sure others might feel the same way. So next time you are wondering why others aren't answering your port calls, its because the porters have been burned time and again by people who think 5p is cool.

Joneleth
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Forgive me. I know I am beating a dead horse by reviving this thread. As a Wizard, I can't help but comment.

First of all...If a person is offering ports free of charge or leaving the issue ambiguous...I don't see how that person can bemoan the fact that they did not get a plat tip.

To provide my own perspective. I have never charged for ports on this server during original classic Eq. I do charge for Kunark evacs but that is beside the point.

I have received so much more plat than I could ever expect to receive by setting a static price for a port. A lot of people have the opinion of....I saved soandso an hour or two walk so give me plat accordingly...

My view is the opposite. I can prevent a person from having to do a long run by simply porting them to where they want to go(from East Commons, I rarely port when I am hunting/grouping)....I port them, gate back to North Ro...and in 3-5 Minutes I am back full mana and back in EC on top of helping a player save some time.

I always accept donations. With the type of attitude I described above....I have received fairly large donations over time. A little hospitality and a generous outlook go a long way, at least for porters.

Brimacombe
06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
There are people who will stuff their gear into their bags and come to me with a ghost story about how they need a port for a CR. Now... I inform them where the nearest bank is. I give rides for free to newbies after a short conversation where I discern whether or not they are newbies are going to where their main can twink them.
If someone stiffs me, they become part of my ignore list. They win a port, they lose the war.
Likewise is the "Port Buddy" who tries to make you his port bitch. Clerics, Wizards, and Druids all know what I am talking about here. I don't need frienemies, I like good friends. Yes, you are a girl IRL... no, I am not a desperate gamer. Pay.
I ask for my payment up front. "Gimme Munny". Direct, to the point, and a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. I have traded ports for clarity, spawning info, what have you. I am very generous with my buffs unless someone tries to push it. Porting is why I rolled a porting class. I ground through 50 levels on a character I do not enjoy so I can have the economic foundation, not so someone can get over on me. Pay.
When I go to a bar, if I do not have enough for a beer and a dollar tip, I don't have enough for a beer.
To those mock altruists who think that druids and wizards should port for free, your argument of altruism and generosity is glaringly sabotaged by the evidence that you are tight-fisted with your own money. Pay.
If you don't feel you should pay, well... enjoy your boat ride :)

-Brimacombe

Glorindale
06-09-2012, 09:56 AM

It's common sense.

You sir, are a major tool.

Llodd
06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I ground through 50 levels on a character I do not enjoy so I can have the economic foundation, not so someone can get over on me. Pay.
When I go to a bar, if I do not have enough for a beer and a dollar tip, I don't have enough for a beer.
To those mock altruists who think that druids and wizards should port for free, your argument of altruism and generosity is glaringly sabotaged by the evidence that you are tight-fisted with your own money. Pay.

-Brimacombe

Not gonna get involved in the semantics of it all, but bloomin 'eck, are you crazy? The idea is to enjoy the game..

Hollywood
06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on the issue, most people are forgetting a crucial variable to the equation. And that is ...it's not real.
The 'services' provided are virtual, and the 'fee' or 'payment' is also virtual.

I could slightly understand if the debate was over whether to tip (for example) a waitress in a diner; even then some people don't - if she's getting paid a minimum wage (as some places do) then it's a moot point - she doesn't need it.

But that's real life, where such things actually matter.

The only tangible thing being lost here is time - in which people CHOSE to play the game (and experience all things there-in, including interacting with other people).

And considering most people on this server are AFK, sitting in EC tunnel or simply just being logged in because like MMO addicts they can't not be 'playing' the game, then it's all irrelevant.

If you want to make money, then just charge a fee..if you don't then be quiet about it.
Can you imagine a homeless man getting all butt hurt because he CHOSE to sit in a park and play his guitar, and people are standing around enjoying his music but NOT throwing money into his case? What's he going to do say 'hey you bums, what do you think this is, Woodstock?'

Urbanzkopf
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
My rule is simple.

If you are wealthy enough to tip some pp but you don't or you are standing infront of me in all your twinked gear saying you have no money, I simply say that's fine... but I remember your name. Don't expect me to port you next time or even on a corpse run for free when you was an ass about donating before, dude even just tip me 8 gold I don't care it atleast shows you gave some thought.

hdawg06
06-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Druids stink. You should at least give them a few plat just so they can afford some soap...

Kevlar
06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
My rule is simple.

If you are wealthy enough to tip some pp but you don't or you are standing infront of me in all your twinked gear saying you have no money, I simply say that's fine... but I remember your name. Don't expect me to port you next time or even on a corpse run for free when you was an ass about donating before, dude even just tip me 8 gold I don't care it atleast shows you gave some thought.

Just put them on /ignore, and you will never again see them begging for a port.

Emphase
06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
There are people who will stuff their gear into their bags and come to me with a ghost story about how they need a port for a CR. Now... I inform them where the nearest bank is. I give rides for free to newbies after a short conversation where I discern whether or not they are newbies are going to where their main can twink them.
If someone stiffs me, they become part of my ignore list. They win a port, they lose the war.
Likewise is the "Port Buddy" who tries to make you his port bitch. Clerics, Wizards, and Druids all know what I am talking about here. I don't need frienemies, I like good friends. Yes, you are a girl IRL... no, I am not a desperate gamer. Pay.
I ask for my payment up front. "Gimme Munny". Direct, to the point, and a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. I have traded ports for clarity, spawning info, what have you. I am very generous with my buffs unless someone tries to push it. Porting is why I rolled a porting class. I ground through 50 levels on a character I do not enjoy so I can have the economic foundation, not so someone can get over on me. Pay.

-Brimacombe

Wow.. :rolleyes:

Farquis
06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
While I pay for my ports, I hate when porters say "porting for donations". It's not a donation if you're forcing somebody to pay for a port. It's a paid service.

Tarathiel
06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
i always just offer 100pp for ports, seems to work just fine, except in the case of last night when i offered someone 100pp for a port but i needed them to pick someone up in wc, when we get to wc they say they dont have time to wait for my friend but that "50pp should cover their time" smh

Brimacombe
06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
The donation thing came from those renfest people. Many of them on the streets would not get a business liscence, so would get around it by doing it for "Donation". Naturally, every earth mother out there played a druid, so it became popular enough to stick.

-Brimacombe

kaev
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Funny thread.

Personally I've despised the "for donations" line since I fist saw it in 1999. Donations is what you ask for at a junior high school band concert. If you're porting for a fee than post your fee schedule. If your porting for tips, then say porting for tips. The word "donation" never did you any harm, why do you abuse it so? please stop. :p

I'm with the guy who never advertises that he's porting. When I'm on my Druid I never offer ports in the public channels, although I will sometimes respond to players who are ooc'ing for ports. When I get a tell asking for a port I never mention payment. Now, if somebody takes up 45 mins of my time and then gives me nothing or a tiny amount they go on the short list of those who I'll ignore later. But when somebody claims poverty for a quick port it's not worth the trouble of remembering them. The only time I ever accepted pp for a CR it involved about 25 mins of bouncing around with a Cleric giving him multiple 96% rezzes (if he cares that much about his time he can care about mine too, dammit.) And if some noob I met earlier in the day asks me to port him and a few friends to BBM I not only won't be expecting a tip I'll make sure somebody in the group can bind everybody or I'll take care of it myself.

@Glorindale: Scavrefamn's posting is pretty transparent really, unlike many who are accused of trolling on the board he actually is one, and much better at it than most. Oh, and while there are some similarities, "troll" is not spelled "tool".

Glorindale
06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
"troll" is not spelled "tool".

noted...

Heavydrop
06-09-2012, 08:29 PM
When I was a lower level and just got my ports it was a great way to make money so I did it.
Tipping or paying for a port is just part of the way things are and unless you want to be put on a "no port" list somewhere (yes, I do have such a list) it is in people's best interest to offer something reasonable as compensation.
Now that I'm higher level I don't need the money from ports so much but once in awhile I'll do it. My rule of thumb, as has been mentioned, is that if I am non /anon and you can see my class/level etc. then that means I am open for business for porting. I am available for ports. If I am /role then it means I am busy soloing/grouping/camping something and I don't have the time or interest in porting. If you know me in game and I can come help I will but most of the time I'm not up for it.
Tipping and tipping well is logical if you can afford it. I port those in need as well I just might not feel as inclined, but I will still do it

Grumble
06-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow. Some of you are really demanding. "I won't port anyone for less than 100pp." I'm sorry. I've been playing only a couple of weeks and all my characters are low level. None of them have as much as 20pp much less 100pp. As it is, only one of them has asked for a port. They had to ask for days ooc if anyone was porting for donations, until they found someone, and they donated what they could, but they didn't have 100pp.

magus678
06-09-2012, 11:03 PM
As someone who has spent quite a bit of time porting out of the tunnel, I appreciate the sentiment of the thread.

However, there seems to be some confusion about the purpose of "donations."

Donations are so that you can scale the cost of a port to your individual level of wealth, not so porters can be sneaky or make more money (although I do suspect it will make more money).

Charging a flat fee of 30pp for example, excludes large segments of population, the very same segment that we get a fair bit of joy out of helping

Snagglepuss
06-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I think early on tipping 1pp per level is acceptable. When I started out, I would follow that rule, and more often than not, people would say don't worry about.

We've all been poor newbs at some point.

Not tipping as a higher level character is despicable.

magus678
06-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I generally don't take any tips under 20 plat. My assumption is that if someone has that little money, they probably need it more than I do. I'll just do it for free in that case.

Drone
06-10-2012, 12:30 AM

It doesn't confuse people. You're just a jackass.

Nordenwatch
06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Scavrefamn -> Confirmed douchebag

Lagaidh
06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Obviously you are unable to comprehend the purpose of the post. Its not about plat, its about principle.... I'll port you for nothing, if you are naked, or a true broke noob.

Don't be cheap ... if you got 100pp sitting on you... give 10-20pp to the guy that just saved you an hour run. Especially when you can recoup that 10-20pp after a kill or two at higher levels...

Most importantly, don't tell someone you can't afford to give a tip of appreciation when you are all decked out in twink gear... it is insulting to the person you are asking a service from.....

This isn't exactly college material, not sure how else to explain it for you :P

I haven't read further yet, and I agree with you 100%...

But there are those incredibly embarrassing times where you are twinked, but you don't have a dime on you...

I'm so proud I haven't asked for a free ride yet, but I've been in the tunnel, twinked shitty without a single copper on me, and asked for SoW...

Lagaidh
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I would like to clarify that when I said "too proud" I meant that I'm too proud to ask for a free port; because I think I should pay.

When I had to ask for a free SoW my wife and I were laughing. I'd just completed my full suit of rubi that I did not camp for, bought and traded. I'd spent my last money... and needed to hoof it many zones away.

We thought I looked like *such* a jackass standing there in full rubicite... trying to bum a SoW. Had to laugh.

manwithaplan11
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Casting sow and porting are 2 very different things imo. I don't expect people to pay for sow, especially if I'm just sitting in the tunnel.

Lagaidh
06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Casting sow and porting are 2 very different things imo. I don't expect people to pay for sow, especially if I'm just sitting in the tunnel.

Meh. I can argue both ways. If someone says time is money in relation to a port, one could argue the same exact thing for a SoW. Mana = time = money.

I tip less for a SoW to be sure. Less mana = less time = less money =o)

But yeah, I see what you mean.

When I'm farting around on my wife's druid, SoWs are always free, and I rarely will port simply because I don't want to. I don't care if you're offering 300p for a port to DL and then an evac to EJ. Money's nice, but most of the time while playing her druid... I have another goal.

Atmas
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
People need some situational awareness. If someone yells they are going to a specific location and offers to take people with them, it is probably fine to ride for free but you should probably still tip because they are saving you a lot of time.

If you ooc you want to buy a port and someone responds you should tip them because they are probably trying to make money. If they are just doing it to be nice they will tell you the tip is not necessary.

If you happen to be in a random zone and want to get elsewhere and see a porter you send a tell to, then definitly tip because that person almost certainly has their own objective being there.

If you happen to be in a random zone and want to get elsewhere and there is no porter around so you send a tell to random person asking them to come meet you somewhere and take you to another location, make it worth their time. Also have the presence of mind to ask people in order of location. Ask the guy in EC, don't ask the person in Fear.

Finally if you need to do a Sky turn in or something like that, consider that the stones for planar cost 100p+ and need to go be bought in locations that aren't accessible to all wiz race combinations. So tip well.

Most of this stuff seems like common sense to me, but maybe people don't always consider the person on the otherside of the keyboard has their own stuff going on in rl and may only have a few hours a week to play.

I give a lot of people ports for free anyways unless I am really trying to generate cash, but still the curtious thing to do is to offer to pay for someone taking their time to save you like an hour of travel.

finalgrunt
06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
situational awareness (...)

I totally agree. And I even take into account the porter's level.

Time is money, but you don't make the same amount of money when you're level 10, 30 and 60.

The higher level the porter is, the more I give. Bottom line, unless people are on a bad corpse run or below level 10, there is no reason to not tip for a port.

magus678
06-21-2012, 02:01 AM
This may have been brought up elsewhere and I missed it, but has there been any thought to a "do not port" list in this way? I mean people could port who they like, but if they were interested in a communal blacklist it would be something we could use.

I understand it may seem heavy handed, but when I wait for 10 min for someone wearing 50k of gear to offer me 3pp for my time a personal list doesn't seem like enough.

Swinger
06-21-2012, 02:31 AM
I've never played a druid or wizard.. but people really tip 3 plat for a port? When I first started out, and had no money, or not much money, I never even asked for a port (unless it was for a corpse recovery). Until now, I've pretty much played casters who don't have much strength, so I couldn't carry much platinum on me. But I ALWAYS had peridots, sky/hate stones, or some sort of other gems from OOT, Sebilis, ect.. and I kept them on me just for the purpose of paying people for quicky favors like ports, corpse summons, buffs, anything. Now that I'm playing a monk I suppose I will do the same because of the weight limit.

It seems that most porters advertise as "porting for donations", which isn't really a donation after that being asked. And I remember after Kunark's release on this server porters were advertising "ports to DL! 50pp a seat!".. That was understandable I suppose for the time period.. You could either fork over the scratch, or sit on the ferry boat patiently.

Porters just need to advertise as "porting for a small portion of your money" or something like that. Then just blacklist the 45+ players or twinks that try to donate 3pp. I don't mean just remember their name, but make a post for all porters to record this information. That way they will know to collect their "donation" before casting the spell.

There's my 3pp on the situation. Either throw in on gas money, or crawl home.

Edit: Another smart idea. If you see a low level druid or wizard struggling, throw him a bone. Help him for a few minutes, let him have a little plat for his upcoming spells, maybe even just sit and chat. I could almost bet that he or she would be forever greatful and "owe you one" if you ever needed a port for an emergency. Karma.

kaev
06-21-2012, 02:35 AM
I can't be bothered to remember the lame tippers, they're just not worth the trouble.

magus678
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
I can't be bothered to remember the lame tippers, they're just not worth the trouble.

I can sympathize; I generally prefer to just ignore the douches in game and focus on the positive. I suppose its really too much to make a forum blacklist, I just find those folks sap my will to go out of my way to do CRs/newb ports a lot, and I think that's a shame.

zaraax
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't forget the millionaires who tip 10pp for a rez.... yes i know this is a porter forum, I'm just saying....

Btw Happy Friday!!!

Xxia
06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
My newbie (and only character) was given some very nice equipment by some very nice player I met who said he wasn't going to be playing one of his alt anymore and wanted the eq to go to some use. The downside for this is when I ask for a port (I'm still level 13 and more or less broke, I have about 20pp to my name), I feel like I have to explain why I can't tip much even though I'm obviously wearing some expensive gear.

From the couple of friends I have that are wizards or druids, it doesn't sound like any of them are hurting for money though - one of em can never even walk full speed because he's always being given so much money. lol So I find it hard to feel too terrible for not tipping someone if I can't afford it... but if someone helps me out in the way they can, they should know that I will remember their name and help them out in any way I can, even if that won't be for a while.

magus678
06-25-2012, 05:31 PM
One lucky roll on a mildly rare drop will likely net you more money than I have ever made porting. Being a taxi will generally keep you out of the poorhouse, but it takes a pretty long time to generate serious bank.

kaev
06-26-2012, 02:26 AM
/ignore is so hard to use, you can also make lists in EQ1...

/ignore is reserved for bozos who spam zonechat with red text, or send me repeated tells begging for ports while I'm in a dungeon, or other similarly substantial retardation. Being a cheap-assed skinflint is such a petty annoyance in comparison that I find it easiest to just blow it off.

Rezek
06-26-2012, 02:54 AM
My newbie (and only character) was given some very nice equipment by some very nice player I met who said he wasn't going to be playing one of his alt anymore and wanted the eq to go to some use. The downside for this is when I ask for a port (I'm still level 13 and more or less broke, I have about 20pp to my name), I feel like I have to explain why I can't tip much even though I'm obviously wearing some expensive geear.

Exactly the same situation for me.. I have decent gear only because someone really nice gave it to me, but my bank is pretty dry.