PDA

View Full Version : I too had a productive day+night...

Excellio
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
... But in a very different way.

You see, I learned some important lessons about my role as Druid in a dungeon group setting.

Currently, my Wood Elf Druid Excellio is level 40 (and has been about that for a loooooong time), and I haven't been part of a real dungeon-esque group since Crushbone, about lvl 14 for me. I've been in groups since then, but they were in South Karana at KFC, Overthere at SF Ramp or just inside Mistmoore at the entrance to the zone.

A few hours ago, I joined a group that was going to kill stuff in Kaesora. There was a bunch of nonsense that happened before we even began killing stuff, and I won't get into that because there was no lesson learned from that stuff, except that you shouldn't jump down holes in dungeons without knowing for sure where it leads, and how you're going to get back up.

But once we got to grouping, we were rockin the place. We had a monk pulling for us, and I was the only priest class, which made me the healer.

Well, as the healer, when I look in the group window and notice a player's health in the 30% range and dropping, my instinct is to target and heal, just like we did back in Crushbone.

I think the next part might've happened in slow motion, but I was mostly watching myself do this, powerless to stop the inevitable. As the monk was approaching, a short distance from our camp, I saw that he had 3 mobs on him, and his health was around 20%. I quickly targeted and hit my fancy heal macro, the one that makes me sit down after telling the group about the heal I'm casting.

And that's when time slowed down, as the monk did what he was supposed to be doing when he Feigned Death, right as my spell was casting.

It took fewer than 3-4 seconds for the mobs to totally level me. The only positive I took from the incident is that the mobs weren't terribly high lvl, so the group was able to kill them, of course, after I re-spawned several zones away. I guess it's good that only I died from my use of level 14 healing techniques in a level 40 group.

So now I know. Let the monk FD for a bit, bring back ONE mob, and then heal him. If I was anyone else in that group, I would've kicked that idiot Druid out of the group for trying to get us wiped. But fortunately, my groupmates were understanding that I'm the Chief Wiggum of Healers presently. But I'm learning. I certainly learned from this one.

In fairness to me, I haven't actually done any significant XPing in a long time because I spend most of my time porting, PLing lowbies when I'm bored, and buying decent gear to give away to nice people who need it. While all these things are super nice and are always appreciated, they really don't teach you much about how to effectively not kill everyone in your group when it's technically you're job to keep them alive (you know, as a healer).

Oh, and best wishes to Kaffy. I believe I recall seeing you in Commonlands from time to time.

[/LongWinded]

fadetree
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Great story. I've done that exact same thing, and learned the same lesson.

Also, since here i'm a poor noob, you can buy me things anytime you want! Silver Swiftblade please ;)

Messianic
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Eh, just communicate (i.e let him know your intentions so he doesn't stand up at the wrong time) and heal him *while feigned*, and you can keep his health up even if he's got 3 mobs standing over him. Healing a person who is currently successfully feigned yields no aggro for the healer.

Plyssken
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Hey, I also learned Hasten Bootstrutter must have done something offensive to my pet at some point because my pet bee-lined for him right after I killed a basilisk when a monk was killing him nearby. I guess he wanted to help the other Iksar out or maybe he was confused because we all look the same.

I also learned he hits really hard for a short guy, feign death never works as fast or effectively as you want it to and high level monks who know what they're doing can pull aggro off a low level tanking necro who's pet gets overly defensive really fast :-D

Excellio
03-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Eh, just communicate (i.e let him know your intentions so he doesn't stand up at the wrong time) and heal him *while feigned*, and you can keep his health up even if he's got 3 mobs standing over him. Healing a person who is currently successfully feigned yields no aggro for the healer.

Yet another great tip!

I believe what I did was heal him, as he was trying to feign to get the mobs off of him, and when he successfully hit the ground, I could see that they didn't care for my attempts to heal him.

Messianic
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Yet another great tip!

I believe what I did was heal him, as he was trying to feign to get the mobs off of him, and when he successfully hit the ground, I could see that they didn't care for my attempts to heal him.

That's most likely the case :)

SCB
03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
One last tip for the dungeon-minded Druid. You are a Druid, and as such can port near-anywhere. Bind outside any dungeon you are entering, and save yourself from painful CRs.

Excellio
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
One last tip for the dungeon-minded Druid. You are a Druid, and as such can port near-anywhere. Bind outside any dungeon you are entering, and save yourself from painful CRs.

Yeah, that makes sense, but binding outside KC is super handy cuz then I can evac without crossing DL. I suppose it was laziness that made me not bind outside Kaesora, since crossing DL isn't really that time-consuming or challenging.

SCB
03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah, that makes sense, but binding outside KC is super handy cuz then I can evac without crossing DL. I suppose it was laziness that made me not bind outside Kaesora, since crossing DL isn't really that time-consuming or challenging.

I like that idea, but it's also pretty easy to just reset your bind there when you're done in whatever dungeon you're in.

Although honestly, a few more levels and you're likely to get a rez any time you die in a dungeon, so it may all be a moot point!

Excellio
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Before dying at the hands of mobs I shouldn't have aggro'd, I first died by falling down the biggest pit I've ever encountered in EQ (something like 400 dmg, I was falling for several countable seconds), and I had just lost the groupmate I was following, who was a bard, so right as I hit the bottom of the pit, the bard invis song dropped, and I was sexually assaulted by several large skeleton creatures.

I didn't think I'd be getting that corpse back, honestly. I figured it was at the bottom of a strange pit filled with monsters, from which there may have been no return (save a port, and you have to uninvis to cast it -- and loot the corpse) and it was unlikely to get a cleric and maybe a high lvl melee to go down there and kill the bad guys, then rezz me, at least, not in the allotted rez time. I was ready to retire that character and just use him for ports and what not because I was so disheartened by the apparent loss of all of my equipment. But somehow, one of my groupmates ran around frantically summoning my corpse until he successfully got it, despite being wayyyyyyyyy they heck higher than it.

After coming back to loot that corpse is when I decided I was gonna heal our monk with no regard for my own life or that of my groupmates.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't gain any xp on this excursion.

Messianic
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Before dying at the hands of mobs I shouldn't have aggro'd, I first died by falling down the biggest pit I've ever encountered in EQ (something like 400 dmg, I was falling for several countable seconds), and I had just lost the groupmate I was following, who was a bard, so right as I hit the bottom of the pit, the bard invis song dropped, and I was sexually assaulted by several large skeleton creatures.

I didn't think I'd be getting that corpse back, honestly. I figured it was at the bottom of a strange pit filled with monsters, from which there may have been no return (save a port, and you have to uninvis to cast it -- and loot the corpse) and it was unlikely to get a cleric and maybe a high lvl melee to go down there and kill the bad guys, then rezz me, at least, not in the allotted rez time. I was ready to retire that character and just use him for ports and what not because I was so disheartened by the apparent loss of all of my equipment. But somehow, one of my groupmates ran around frantically summoning my corpse until he successfully got it, despite being wayyyyyyyyy they heck higher than it.

After coming back to loot that corpse is when I decided I was gonna heal our monk with no regard for my own life or that of my groupmates.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't gain any xp on this excursion.

Ah, great EQ experiences...I avoided/survived most of these because I was a monk and I always kept thurg gate pots on me...

I can't tell you how many times I would find myself in the most unsafe location of a dungeon flopping my way to safety or having to gate...

trxzee
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Your experience also brings back a memory. My guid was doing a small raid, like 3-4 groups ( I forget where ). We had a really great Warrior, so all I had to do was off tank when needed, and spot heal my group if needed ( dorf pally of course ). A couple nights before I had gotten a really cool new sword, with a great stun proc. So, I decided to try the new blade out towards the end of our little raid, just once. Long story short, blade proc'd like crazy, I drew agro away from the Warrior, and the named killed me and my entire group while the Warrior was like wtf? I didn't know that my lil proc would draw all that agro..I swear lol. The warrior thought I was just being a douche, I just didn't know any better. Lesson learned. That was 10 years ago...now I am back for more!! Course, in p99, Pally's own agro and no one complains!

Slave
03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Z-axis doesn't matter when summoning corpses.

The sad thing is that at level 40, be prepared to become more and more obsolete to groups until level 50 when even pickup groups desperate for a healer won't ask you to join.

trxzee
03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
buzzkill. No SoW for you 8-/

Plyssken
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Best thing to do is group say "Taunt!" to the warrior. They love it when you say that

trxzee
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
:p