PDA

View Full Version : Darkness

Slothslayer
03-30-2012, 02:38 AM
I was reading through previous posts and a topic came up about light levels during the night on P99. I, too remember it being much darker and more terrifying at night back in the day. It added additional challenge for non infravision type characters and made lightsources more of a necessity.

Anyway, most of this was previously discussed on the aforementioned thread. I just wanted to see what the community at large thought. I personally miss the dark myself.

Danyelle
03-30-2012, 02:40 AM
The changed light levels is a client effect fyi. Not server code

Slothslayer
03-30-2012, 02:42 AM
So this issue cannot be changed by the devs then i suppose?

Danyelle
03-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Well they've changed things with the client before but tbh probably not. Some things they can change some they can't. And either way it's not an easy 'flip of the switch' thing

Swish
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
When I started my wizard on live I did so as a dark elf only because I was straining my eyes so much, ultravision was a real difference maker :D

Niis
03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm sure this nice high contrast big screen LCD doesn't hurt nightvision either :>

Goraith
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
My very first toon (Named Goraith hince the forum name) was Erudite wizard. He was so night blind that I would sit him a the guards until the day time. Between getting lost and dying in the dark and auto attack being bound to the "a" key, he died often. I finally gave up on him after 14 levels.

Nizzarr
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Yea, wish they could change this back. Unfortunately, this was caused by the opengl back then. That kind of darkness isnt available nowadays!

being an erudite in toxullia forest was a frightening thing. Even dungeons were way more frightening.

tristantio
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Just lower your monitor brightness, or play on an old CRT.

Galaa
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Barbarians travelling from everfrost to BB always got lost inside the dark tunnels lol.

Anyone had that experience?

kazroth
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Barbarians travelling from everfrost to BB always got lost inside the dark tunnels lol.

Anyone had that experience?

Amen, lol

evil
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Isn't this why having light sources was also so important? I was 14 or so, and don't remember specifically, but I do remember it being impossible to play as a human or erudite.

Witness
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
To the poster about the everfrost to bb tunnels..I played a barbarian and absolutely nothing was more frustrating to me then getting turned around and accidebtaly zoning back into everfrost 4 times in a row back when zoning took minutes. i would seriously get so disturbed and upset because I would spend my entire playing time doing accidental zoning

Hitchens
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
On live my very first character was a Wood Elf, I remember refusing to move at night because I'd either fall off the top of the treehouse city or get lost underneath it.

Kevlar
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Can't you just turn down the gamma? I'm sure the LCD monitors have more to do with it than any sort of programming change.

Danyelle
03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
While, yes, newer monitors and the gamma setting affect this as well. The newer clients are coded to not be quite as dark as Classic was. It's part of the new enhanced lighting system. Newer clients are even less dark to some degree.

But yes, as previously stated, turning down your gamma will help negate this effect. I personally always play at 10%. Looks better not just in game but the UI looks better at this darkness level as well imo.

Kika Maslyaka
03-30-2012, 07:12 PM
yeah its the client - I have a 12 years old C70, and its naturally A LOT darker than my newer Acer in the next room, but even here, erudite at night during rain in Tox - is as bright as my WE was back on LIVE in 2000.

As much as I hated playing night blind races (gave up on 2 of my Erudite chars because of that), removal of night blindness removes the bonus of having Infra/Ultra vision for other races

Flunklesnarkin
03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
I always wondered why they removed night blindness

seemed like something that was uber classic

Grozmok
03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I always wondered why they removed night blindness

seemed like something that was uber classic

+∞

Also:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0910/darkness-i-m-rick-james-bitch-demotivational-poster-1255635283.jpg

batkiller
03-31-2012, 05:48 AM
My character is an Erudite and I can't see a damn thing at night time :)

Secrets
03-31-2012, 08:07 AM
I did something similar to this by hijacking dynamic lighting. Lighting used to be static, so by forcing all lighting to be one value, you'd fix this.

Unfortunately I never looked into it past disabling lighting entirely, but I am fairly certain it's possible to do.

Haul
03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Ya this feature added to the difficulty for sure, good times.

Slothslayer
03-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Agreed. Call me a glutton for punishment but it would be sweet if they added it.
After all I play a human. :P

Darkwulf58
04-01-2012, 08:17 AM
While, yes, newer monitors and the gamma setting affect this as well. The newer clients are coded to not be quite as dark as Classic was. It's part of the new enhanced lighting system. Newer clients are even less dark to some degree.

But yes, as previously stated, turning down your gamma will help negate this effect. I personally always play at 10%. Looks better not just in game but the UI looks better at this darkness level as well imo.

Thats why I see Rainbowdash bouncing off things like a pinball.

doacleric
04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I think it would be more productive to hack the client to run in DirectX 8 mode, which would probably allow the use of classic sky, original darkness, old spells, etc etc etc.

doacleric
04-01-2012, 12:10 PM
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~doa/EQ000019.jpg

Is this dark enough for you? This is how the Karanas looks for me on my Human. This is of course with my enhanced sky graphics files.

Slave
04-01-2012, 04:38 PM
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~doa/EQ000019.jpg

Is this dark enough for you? This is how the Karanas looks for me on my Human. This is of course with my enhanced sky graphics files.

NO. This is not how it used to be. EverQuest was IMMERSIVE sir.

"It's night and I can't see danger in front of me" -Has anybody here seen my corpse?

ArumTP
04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
True classic would barely see that tiny pine tree.

doacleric
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Turn your ingame brightness down then. Mine is at 26% I believe. It still won't make it "classic" brightness, but it does get you closer. You may also need to turn the brightness on your LCD down. There is a huge difference between old CRT's which could barely push 100cd/m2 and newer LCD's which can reach 400+cd/m2 at max brightness.

Slothslayer
04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I turned my in-game gamma down to 10%. I'm happy with how it looks now. Still not quite as blind as a bat as i remember being though... lol

Kraegan
04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I was curious about this, so I pulled out my classic EQ CD, installed it and took an hour or so writing a server I could connect too. I got it up to the character creation screen, the background (especially on the dark races) was very dark. So much so that you could not see the walls on some of them in the screen where the character spins around.

I then went into the Titanium version and lowered the gamma, not really the same, but it is close.

Grozmok
04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
You know they did it right when you finally want to suck someone off for giving you a Greater Lightstone.

Galaa
04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
You know they did it right when you finally want to suck someone off for giving you a Greater Lightstone.

getting a beetle eye was one of the most important thing u have to do as a newbie.

Getting a light stone or greater light stone was :D:D:D:D:D

Kraegan
04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
getting a beetle eye was one of the most important thing u have to do as a newbie.

Getting a light stone or greater light stone was :D:D:D:D:D

lol..beetle eyes. I remember on my human monk back in release, I messaged a friend looking for a lightstone, he told me to go kill a wisp. He did not tell me that I needed a magic weapon, or in my case, magic gloves.

So after a quick visit to the froglocks in the Qeynos sewers I got some netted. Needless to say I slaughtered EVERY wisp I saw from that day on....lol.

Nagash
04-02-2012, 06:50 PM

+1