PDA

View Full Version : Titanium and night darkness

finalgrunt
05-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Hello everybody!

I started playing on the p1999 server and it's awesome. However I remember that the night was much darker. Is it because the client changed it?

Is there a way to change that back to a more realistic (pitch dark) night, where ultravision makes a difference?

Correct me if I said wrong stuff here ^^

Thankies

JaVeDK
05-04-2010, 06:20 AM
You can scale down gamma in options (alt+o)

finalgrunt
05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Like I thought.

This gamma thing was changed for all zones right? Don't want to enter an unaffected place which would be completly dark then ^^

FatMagic
05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I think there was definitely a gamma change, or just a general change to the way they did night darkness back in the day. I clearly remember humans being the WORST race to play in '99 because you couldn't see squat. I died too many times out in EC because of this :)

km2783
05-04-2010, 10:31 AM
fwiw, the gamma slider on my client does absolutely nothing.

Bumamgar
05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Are you running under WinEQ2 and have 'lock gamma' turned on? It essentially disables the gamma slider in EQ.

However, I recommend downloading Gamma Panel (http://majorgeeks.com/Gamma_Panel_d2796.html) and using it to setup gamma profiles for the various games you play. You can then switch between them on the fly using hotkeys or the taskbar menu. It provides much more control over your gamma settings than the EQ slider.

km2783
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Not using WinEQ2.

But since back in the day I turned the gamma up to where I could see anyway, I'm okay with this :D

Tunnels are still blacker than the blackest black, though. Qeynos, Surefall Glade, etc.

MrB
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm sure it was dark early on in the game.

I remember the blackburrow/halas tunnel where a few gnolls lurk was dark and i could not do it without a torch but later on it was brighter and no torch needed (or maybe i had better equipment/spells then).

Dantes
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah it's a bitch to sell Greater Light Stones. They used to be a necessity for humans.

I notice a visible change to my display settings when the game starts up. Everything pushes brigher with less contrast.

Nedala
05-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I remember when i started on live in gfay i didnt see anything. But after a few month of playing i found out i can raise my gamma, and from that point anything was easy to see. Like it is on p99.

doacleric
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
In general, the brightness of EQ has increased quite a bit throughout the years. Some has to do with client changes, some with graphics changes, and some with the technology we currently use. Current LCD monitors putting out 300+ nits of brightness certainly doesn't help any.

The best thing you can do is to turn the ingame gamma option down. On my CRT display, its turned down to 31% to get it close to "classic" brightness. On my friends LCD display, I have to turn it down to around 15% to get it to look right. It'll never be "pitch black darkness in qeynos hills" dark, but it might be close if you are a human.

I may also release my updated graphics files which will help with the night time sky getting closer to the original look. If anyone is interested, let me know.

doacleric
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Dark enough for ya? :) This is in game for me, wandering the karanas.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~doa/EQ000019.jpg

Depending on your monitor gamma and brightness, you might not see a thing!

Zordana
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
really sad with all the new technology :P
i in fact would like it if i got FORCED to have it that dark.. but since i cant be, i will have my gamma-slider in the upper half :p

applesauce25r624
09-13-2010, 12:50 AM
humans have perfect night vision on this server

in any dungeon or the darkest of outdoor zones