PDA

View Full Version : Game Freezes/crashing

Sloyo
05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Howdy all, trying to get this all together and to work and finally finished installing everything and modifying but when i get to the character creation screen, EQ freezes up on me after just a few minutes..if that. Really hoping I can figure this out..long time EQ vet and would love to dive in with the rest of the community. Any help would be GREAT! Screen seems to freeze up..then if and when it unfreezes all the pixels looks like its snowing and nothing is clear. Oh, I also run on a Imac, running it in BootCamp though with windows xp. And, i'm running a NVIDIA 8800GS. Thanks in advance. I could post pics of what happens just not sure how to do that on this forum.

mgellan
05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Howdy all, trying to get this all together and to work and finally finished installing everything and modifying but when i get to the character creation screen, EQ freezes up on me after just a few minutes..if that. Really hoping I can figure this out..long time EQ vet and would love to dive in with the rest of the community. Any help would be GREAT! Screen seems to freeze up..then if and when it unfreezes all the pixels looks like its snowing and nothing is clear. Oh, I also run on a Imac, running it in BootCamp though with windows xp. And, i'm running a NVIDIA 8800GS. Thanks in advance. I could post pics of what happens just not sure how to do that on this forum.

Sounds like video drivers to me, make sure you have the latest and greatest NVidia drivers...

Regards,
Mg

Sloyo
05-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I did just update my video card drivers on the 8800gs to 196.21. This still does not help. I still get screen scrambled/tearing.

km2783
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
What's the native resolution of your iMac?

Mgellan posted this elsewhere, maybe it could help?

I had the same issue on my laptop, the resolution was something like 1280x800 but didn't appear in the list on Options, so I picked the closest one (1280x960) and BOOM EQ wouldn't get past server select. Go into the file eqclient.ini in your Everquest folder (probably under Program Files) and modify the section that looks like this:

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=800
Width=1280
Height=800
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=800

Obviously replace 1280x800 with whatever your screen resolution is (rt click on screen, Properties, Settings, Screen Resolution slider) and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Mg

Of course since you run fine at first, I'm kind of at a loss whether this will help or not, but it's worth a shot, right?

mgellan
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I did just update my video card drivers on the 8800gs to 196.21. This still does not help. I still get screen scrambled/tearing.

Huh. Ok, just for giggles, maybe try a backdated driver version? Did you try an EQ reinstall?

Regards,
Mg

Sloyo
05-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Nope, still not fixing my problem. Really odd. Starting to think it may be my video card all together.

Sloyo
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Was able to catch what the blue screen said. Here is a pic of it.

Rogean
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
nv4_disp, sounds like video card.

Sloyo
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Aye, recently installed drivers 196.21 for the 8800GS on bootcamp side...but there are newer ones but it won't let me install them for some reason. Have a appointment with an apple tech on Monday to get to the bottom of this. Been working on it for 3 weeks and i'm getting nowhere hehe.