PDA

View Full Version : Forum Banner Competition?

Yellow
05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
everyone see that vBulletin banner at the top left of the forums? not really Unique to P99 is it? I say that we use this competition as an opportunity for those of you with the skills enough to make good banners to create a banner to replace that ugly one,and give the p99 site a bit more, jazz. ( always wanted to say that xD)

maybe this isnt a good idea, i do not know, but id love for us to have an awesome banner to put there. because we arent vBulletin, We're P99!

Zordana
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
i like the idea!

Loke
05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm vBulletin to the core. P99 is just something I do so that I can fit in on these wicked sweet vBulletin boards.

Otto
05-07-2010, 02:36 PM
There was a competition. Don't know what happened to it after that first DDoS incident. Never went back to our p99 banner

Trojanman
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Whats the pixel dimensions for this thing?
I'll whip something up.

Zordana
05-07-2010, 02:42 PM
209 x 85 Pixel

Dantes
05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
How about just skin the entire site?

Zordana
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
How about just skin the entire site?

you are welcome to create a nice vbulletin theme for p99 :)

Bumamgar
05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
209 x 85 Pixel

LoL, those are the dimensions of the default vBulletin logo. Clearly any forum banner could exceed those dimensions. I think something in the 600x100 range is generally considered an acceptable banner size. There's an awful lot of whitespace up there right now :)

Kainzo
05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Some banners are 800 x 200 as well, the height is usually not the problem. While we're on the topic, we need to a new skin, hopefully something darker ;)

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Whoever makes this banner make sure Tralina is in it <3

Tallenn
05-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Some banners are 800 x 200 as well, the height is usually not the problem. While we're on the topic, we need to a new skin, hopefully something darker ;)

Dear god, no. Not unless it is something optional. I HATE dark colored forums.

Yellow
05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
i like the color of this forum atm :]

Dantes
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
You could probably have both, I don't have experience with vBulletin as much but most forums have a theme picker option. One good thing about a default forum skin is that it doesn't look all "video gamey." For those of us at work, that can be a good thing. So our boss thinks we're working. Yup, just working away.

I'd be happy to contribute a theme but unfortunately I'm insanely busy until about the middle of June. Too many irons in this fire.

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 05:26 PM
You could probably have both, I don't have experience with vBulletin as much but most forums have a theme picker option. One good thing about a default forum skin is that it doesn't look all "video gamey." For those of us at work, that can be a good thing. So our boss thinks we're working. Yup, just working away.

I'd be happy to contribute a theme but unfortunately I'm insanely busy until about the middle of June. Too many irons in this fire.

thiiiiiiiis

Trojanman
05-07-2010, 06:24 PM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6454/p1999.jpg

Simple mock-up that works with the lighter colors,
and doesn't look specifically like a gaming website header, so still work safe.
I dunno, I can do pretty much anything, any suggestions?

Zordana
05-07-2010, 06:26 PM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6454/p1999.jpg

Simple mock-up that works with the lighter colors,
and doesn't look specifically like a gaming website header, so still work safe.
I dunno, I can do pretty much anything, any suggestions?

looks pretty cool, but id rather see somethin that reminds me on EQ :) and not on code :P

Trojanman
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
looks pretty cool, but id rather see somethin that reminds me on EQ :) and not on code :P

Someone mentioned above that they like the fact that they can look at these forums from work and appear as though they are still working.

I'm in that same boat, I'd like to be able to be discreet.
But if more people want an EQ feel, I can definitely do that.

Omnimorph
05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Agreed, this forum looks the same colour as my excel. So easy to disguise

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I see no Tralina in there. Needs moar halflings.

toddfx
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
You have overlooked one problem with that large banner. Pay attention to what else you see at the top of the forum. Ads!

I'd reckon unless Rogean or whoever upgrades their vBulletin account to an ad-less version, you have no chance of putting anything in place of them. You're probably locked into the current size of the vBulletin logo, which in the long run is a good thing. It's much easier to make a smaller, tighter banner look elegant. It's difficult keep long skinny banners from looking tacky or too ad-based.

I do agree that it might be nice to see an EQ based logo in place of vBulletin, but it needs to be incredibly simple.

Zordana
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I see no Tralina in there. Needs moar halflings.

there was some halfling in there but i eated it already, sorry :(

Zordana
05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
You have overlooked one problem with that large banner. Pay attention to what else you see at the top of the forum. Ads!

I'd reckon unless Rogean or whoever upgrades their vBulletin account to an ad-less version, you have no chance of putting anything in place of them. You're probably locked into the current size of the vBulletin logo.

the higher the width, the higher the left offset of the ads so np..

toddfx
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
the higher the width, the higher the left offset of the ads so np..

True, but you have to consider the average user. I'm viewing this at 1600x1200, which I believe to already be above average, and my white space is only about 60% as wide as your banner. What is your screen resolution?

Edit: I think i see what you mean. If you replace that image with something larger, vBulletin will push those ads to the right?

Zordana
05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I think i see what you mean. If you replace that image with something larger, vBulletin will push those ads to the right?

exactly

it would also be easy to add a linebreak after the vbulletin logo or anythin.

Yellow
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah lets see some stuff made and lets get a banner popping :]

Lonedrahon25
05-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Just make a EQ Theme, and those who dont wanna use it at work can have the option to change the theme via user controls. Sometimes many forums have diff themes and let the users pick which one they want specifically for them.

Volga
05-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Here is my quick and dirty eq theme - it's a rip from a classic site and most of you classic players should recognize it =).

http://enyxmedia.com/forum.php

enyxmedia.com is a sandbox domain and the posts on the thread are just an old database I use for style testing.

Yes.... I know.. thats an Iksar in the header.. but Kunark IS coming so.. live with it =)

Volga

Phallax
05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
There was a guild on my live server back in the day. Everytime you visited the site, or daily the banner would change. If that code is possible here I saw we pick a couple of banners and have them cycled.

Gorgetrapper
05-09-2010, 03:33 AM

I'd reckon unless Rogean or whoever upgrades their vBulletin account to an ad-less version, you have no chance of putting anything in place of them. You're probably locked into the current size of the vBulletin logo, which in the long run is a good thing. It's much easier to make a smaller, tighter banner look elegant. It's difficult keep long skinny banners from looking tacky or too ad-based.

I do agree that it might be nice to see an EQ based logo in place of vBulletin, but it needs to be incredibly simple.

I don't ever see any ads, but that's because I run Adblock Plus. So if a new banner was added, it would look perfect for me.

Mmohunter
05-09-2010, 06:03 PM
So many EQ sites are so poorly designed with little to no creativity. They're usually just mashed up images and bad textures!!!! Please don't do that to this website! I don't mind the standard vBulletin look, and I can conceptualize a quick banner/logo for P99 with input from the players/gm's.

I'll step up if the dev's are interested in a full make over for the website. One of my professions is a freelance web designer, but my specialty is brand identity. I overhauled plenty of old guild sites during WoW's first year.

Zordana
05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
So many EQ sites are so poorly designed with little to no creativity. They're usually just mashed up images and bad textures!!!! Please don't do that to this website! I don't mind the standard vBulletin look, and I can conceptualize a quick banner/logo for P99 with input from the players/gm's.

I'll step up if the dev's are interested in a full make over for the website. One of my professions is a freelance web designer, but my specialty is brand identity. I overhauled plenty of old guild sites during WoW's first year.

whenever they add a new theme doesnt mean the old themes get removed

Supreme
05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
www.ezserveronline.com is what i have done.

Forums was done by someone else. I created the logo and splash page.

Zordana
05-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Here is my quick and dirty eq theme - it's a rip from a classic site and most of you classic players should recognize it =).

http://enyxmedia.com/forum.php

enyxmedia.com is a sandbox domain and the posts on the thread are just an old database I use for style testing.

Yes.... I know.. thats an Iksar in the header.. but Kunark IS coming so.. live with it =)

Volga

i kinda like dis one, besides the logo maybe :)

Goobles
05-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Whoever makes this banner make sure Tralina is in it <3

Gimme pics and screen shots, doll.