PDA

View Full Version : Play time.

kalimar39
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
If I can only put in about 20 hours a week,give or take a few. Is it worth my time to even start?. Im not single and 29 years old anymore. :D

Tenurn
05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
20 hours a week is a significant amount of time. That's 50% of a full time job.

Elendae
05-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Naa its still worth it. You won't be able to pull 14 hour exp camps or anything but you'll get some worth out of a few hours every few days.

Baa
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
I maybe get 10 hours and it is definitely worth it, might just take a bit longer to get up there.

Cscott
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
plus all the noobie zones are still packed constantly with new players as well as alts, getting a group is very easy while going from 1-25 at least

Kerrik
05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I'd say give it a try. Play a bit, meet some new people. Maybe check out a couple zones or try doing a couple quests that you've never done before. The nice thing is that you aren't required to pay anything, so you really have very little to lose (though everyone should consider donating a bit if they like the game.)

Right now the game's got a fast-growing playerbase, with people spread across a wide range of levels. And thanks to the no boxing policy, there are usually plenty of groups out there forming or looking for more/replacements at all levels.

Barkingturtle
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I've been playing since early November and my highest is level 15. It's been "worth it", since, you know, I've just been playing a video game. I play significantly less than twenty hours a week.

Yellow
05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
plus all the noobie zones are still packed constantly with new players as well as alts, getting a group is very easy while going from 1-25 at least

it slows down once you hit about 20ish.. because thats when people either quit or groups are just always full :S Been having a pain in the ass time but im still trucking.

Omnimorph
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
If you're like me and can never be bothered to try and form a group, sure it takes a while. But people with initiative will make a group even if it's just with 2 other people.

AR3151
05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
i am married with twins that are 3 months old, if i can do it, anyone can.

BeepBeep
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I am usually only able to play 3 to 4 hours after work on the weekdays, and rarely on the weekends if i'm not doing anything. I'm not able to level up as fast as some of the other hardcore players, but so far I have found it to be reasonable enough to stay interested in the game.

With limited time I do recommend you try a solo class (i.e. Necro, mage, druid) because some nights there won't be any available groups and then you can go straight to soloing while waiting for a group etc..

Yellow
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
its nice that we have a casual player base as well :]

im sorta playing casual atm.. but i do throw in my hardcre moments... once im out of my casual streak ill be set :]

FatMagic
05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I've been playing since early November and my highest is level 15. It's been "worth it", since, you know, I've just been playing a video game. I play significantly less than twenty hours a week.

Yep... ditto. Been playing since October and only have a level 12 (almost 13!) as my highest. I end up goofing around in game, finding ways to make some money, starting new toons with my brother when he can play... I'm sure i'll never make it to 30 or 40 by release of Kunark - hah!

But it's still fun!!

gambetto
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
That's plenty of time. I play about 10-15 hours a week with a family and I consider myself casual. If you are worried about grouping, I would suggest a solo class such as a Necro, Mage or Druid.

Loretta
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
20 Hours seems like a large chunk of time to me...over a week it is equivilent to watching the Lord of the Rings Triology: Extended editions, back to back and then doing it again! You should be fine I'd think.

gruumsh
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I also put in a few hours a night, play alot on the weekends but sometimes I go a few days without playing.

It's a little slow, but when I do get groups, the exp can really fly. I guess I also don't really mind it's being slow either since I never got to really get to experience EQ classic so I'm trying to soak it all in now before Kunark comes out.

Senadin
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
You ask if it is worth it, Well that depends! What are your goals and motivations? Do you wana raid eventually, play casual?

I mean, asides all that i said above, it is as close as a classic server as we can get. On the nostalgia alone it is worth it. Also it is ... hmm... FREE!

So really, no matter what your end goals are, i think it most likely is.

toddfx
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I play about 6 hours a week, and it's true that it is slow, but totally worth it. I have three characters all under level 15, and honestly that is how I like it.

Even in the few hours I play, I enjoy splitting my time between leveling and farming/trading. I like to build up my equipment early on, so I might spend 3 hours one night farming for notable items (pelts, bone chips, etc.). I might come out with 100pp or so, which isn't a lot compared to what you might be able to get at level 30+ but it makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

At lower levels, the sense of accomplishment is much more frequent. I love when my primary goal is to gather a full set of banded. I love how excited I get when a HQ bear pelt or greater light stone drops. I love when I open my inventory and see 300 glorious platinums sitting there.

On the other hand, in terms of playing days on end, I do NOT love sitting in a cave for 10 hours to get a single bubble of exp. I do NOT love grinding the stone for weeks only to blow 5k on a single item. I do NOT love losing half of my weekend because of a crappy death.

What I am getting at is, I believe the less you play the more it is worth it :)

Ermonican
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
20 Hours a week.... damn i wish I had 20 hours a week to play :cool:

Dantes
05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I play for about 4-5 hours on Thursday nights. Then I end up logging in on other weekdays to sell stuff. I found that I rarely have time for grouping, unfortunately. I ended up starting a solo class just so I could do something when I want mindless entertainment.

I might go for 2 nights a week but I've got a full time job + freelance gigs, music videos, shows, photo shoots... so many irons in this fire but it's fun to relive the old days for a bit.

20 hours a week sounds like a lot to me. I still manage to gain a level in the 4-5 I play one night a week but I know it's just gonna get worse the higher I get.

jilena
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
It really depends imo. Is that 20 hours spreak out over 80 15 minute segments in between raising, feeding, choking, etc children? Or do you have one day where you can play for 20 hours straight?

You can accomplish a good deal in 20 hours straight! However you probably won't feel like you are accomplishing much if you pop on for 5-10 minutes here and there haha. Takes a bit to get stuff going in eq!

Yellow
05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
true exspecially if you stare at the xp bar like most of us.

Malrubius
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
If I can only put in about 20 hours a week,give or take a few. Is it worth my time to even start?. Im not single and 29 years old anymore. :D

20 hours a week?? I don't think I ever played that often, although I realize I'm in the minority. I probably averaged around 5-10 hours a week back in 99-02.

Nowadays I've got too much other stuff going on to do even that. Probably 2-3 hours a week currently, and I'm having an absolute f-ing blast.

If you really have that much free time, then by all means you should go for it.

muninn186
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
20hrs a week seems like a lot. Maybe in the winter I could do that, but def not in the summer months. I'll be lucky if I get a character to 20 before December.

siinge
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
unemployed, 40-120 hrs a week, multiple chars with over 20 days played

i prob should get a job and stop spending my money on weed/food/eq/coke/beer

living the life at 30, or am i

Barkingturtle
05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
unemployed, 40-120 hrs a week, multiple chars with over 20 days played

i prob should get a job and stop spending my money on weed/food/eq/coke/beer

living the life at 30, or am i

You sound depressed.

Ermonican
05-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Stop doing drugs until you get a job. Then go crazy with your first paycheck. =P

Omnimorph
05-12-2010, 08:32 AM
EQ ... the first game to destroy lives and generally stunt a person's development in life :D

That's a testament to its greatness.

Mady
05-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Yup, wasn't called Evercrack for nothing.

toddfx
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
EQ ... the first game to destroy lives and generally stunt a person's development in life :D

I feel like a lot of good can come from EQ. (http://toddkumpf.tumblr.com/post/505921454/the-quest) :D

BeepBeep
05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I feel like a lot of good can come from EQ. (http://toddkumpf.tumblr.com/post/505921454/the-quest) :D

Good blog post

Kerrik
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
EQ got me over my addiction to Television, now I just need to give up my EQ additiction... In just a few more levels. :D