PDA

View Full Version : The compass is broke

PowaGamer
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
So if you drop a sword in EQ it always points North. I dropped my sword, it pointed north, and the compass reads south-southwest. I was actually starting to get mad at EQ Atlas but then I came to my senses.

FYI compass sux and I am not attracted to female monkeys.

Ele
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
What is your sense heading skill?

M.Bison
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
the higher your sense heading skill is the more accurate your compass becomes, ultimately becoming 100% accurate at 200 sense heading skill iirc, its been a while.

Bardalicious
05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
So if you drop a sword in EQ it always points North. I dropped my sword, it pointed north, and the compass reads south-southwest. I was actually starting to get mad at EQ Atlas but then I came to my senses.

FYI compass sux and I am not attracted to female monkeys.

I'm guessing your sense heading skill is low to non-existant. On a successful sense heading reading, the compass will correct itself. If your client is bugged like mine, the compass doesn't move around randomly like it should, so it appears to always be giving accurate headings, when in reality, it's wrong because you haven't clicked sense heading lately and gotten a direction.

P.S. wrong forum probably

PowaGamer
05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm guessing your sense heading skill is low to non-existant. On a successful sense heading reading, the compass will correct itself. If your client is bugged like mine, the compass doesn't move around randomly like it should, so it appears to always be giving accurate headings, when in reality, it's wrong because you haven't clicked sense heading lately and gotten a direction.

P.S. wrong forum probably

Yeah i guess mine is bugged. ahh well. i'm not gonna spam click sense heading when i can just carry a rusty sword w/me. thanks

M.Bison did u play Swtor? Gloom Walker?

M.Bison
05-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Negative, more of a star trek fan.

An alternative to using the rusty sword is binding your sense heading skill to 'A' and 'D'. You will cap your sense heading skill in no time at all. Hope this helps.

Bardalicious
05-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah i guess mine is bugged. ahh well. i'm not gonna spam click sense heading when i can just carry a rusty sword w/me. thanks

M.Bison did u play Swtor? Gloom Walker?

Yeah, I'm lazy and carry an extra rusty around too lol. Can always buy a regular compass too, from Oasis gypsies or wherever.

Or put sense heading on the last 4 hotkeys on your bar, then go to keyboard bindings and set asdw (or arrow keys if you move with those) to the hotkeys you just used. That way it every time you push a direction key to move your toon, it sets off sense heading too. Super lazy way to level it up.

Bardalicious
05-08-2012, 12:15 AM
An alternative to using the rusty sword is binding your sense heading skill to 'A' and 'D'. You will cap your sense heading skill in no time at all. Hope this helps.

Too slow in my above reply I guess lolo

Danyelle
05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I am not attracted to female monkeys.

Wh...what?

PowaGamer
05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Negative, more of a star trek fan.

Genius. I never even thought of that. gonna use that to max out hide,sneak, and w/e else. thx

Sithel1988
05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
/ooc why is my compass broke?

Yanomamo
05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
lulz. Is compass even classic? I don't actually remember having it 12 years ago. also, what's with the female monkey comment?

Bardalicious
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
lulz. Is compass even classic? I don't actually remember having it 12 years ago. also, what's with the female monkey comment?

Just a random classic screenie I googled, too lazy to dig up my own:

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/14/93d1a42a04e0009224894ec25f8185d1/l.jpg

Answer is no afaik. Maybe came out with the LoY cartography system? Don't honestly remember using it at all up through velious. The /loc button was all the compass I needed.

Ele
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
A compass as part of the GUI is not classic. You could buy a "compass" item from vendors and right click it to get the direction or just use sense heading.

Bardalicious
05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
A compass as part of the GUI is not classic. You could buy a "compass" item from vendors and right click it to get the direction or just use sense heading.

For awhile the actual compass item in game you refer to could be right click inspected and the direction you were facing would update automatically on the inspection window. It was hella nice. Then they borked it and you had to right click inspect it all the time to update it.

Edit: I feel like a "The More You Know" rainbow should pop up after this paragraph.

Yanomamo
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
nerf compasses's..izzizzizzz

knottyb0y
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
When working with sense heading make sure you put atleast 1 train point in it. I am pretty sure it's one of those skills that won't raise until it has atleast 1 skill trained.

Raavak
05-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Yah, sense heading would just tell you in text what direction you were facing.

"You are facing North", etc. or "You cannot tell what direction you are facing." or something on a fail.

falkun
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
The /loc button was all the compass I needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

++ - North-West
+0 - North
0+ - West
+- - North-East
-+ - South-West
-- - South-East
-0 - South
0- - East

They flipped East/West from a traditional top-down XY plane, always confuses me.

JoeyD
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong:

++ - North-West
+0 - North
0+ - West
+- - North-East
-+ - South-West
-- - South-East
-0 - South
0- - East

They flipped East/West from a traditional top-down XY plane, always confuses me.

Handy little trick! Much appreciated!