PDA

View Full Version : Torn between Enchanter and Shaman for End Game Soloing (Velious In Mind)

Wonka11
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Here is the rub and I'll try to be concise.

I love to solo, explore, and hunt camps for gear for money. I know there is a large amount of debate between enchanter and shaman and what they're both capable of, eventually, at 60.

My question is, with velious in mind be it a year out or so, which is going to be the best soloer for hard camps/tough mobs, especially considering that in velious a lot of mobs are mez resistant.

Give me all the details experienced sages, let none of thy information go to waste.

lawll
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Shaman forsure

azeth
05-11-2012, 12:46 PM
4 words -

Western. Wastes. Ogre. Shaman.

Supaskillz
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
shaman can solo better than ench at 60. enchanter will reach 60 easier and will solo better 1-59 except for around lvl 45-52 ish where jbb is just gross.

tekniq
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
4 words -

Western. Wastes. Ogre. Shaman.

truth.

Splorf22
05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I would say in Kunark enchanters are clearly better. I don't think there is any camp a Shaman can solo that an Enchanter can't. Really the only shaman cash camp in Kunark is NG in Sebilis, and that's cake for an enchanter. And if you show me a shaman that can solo HS South, I'll be extremely impressed (I don't think it's impossible, just really hard).

However from what I have heard Velious is basically the anti-enchanter expansion with all the mobs either having shitloads of MR or straight up mez/stun immunity or both. But I never played Velious on live, so take that for what it's worth.

Fazlazen
05-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Frozen moses + enchanter = let's go !! In all seriousness, enchanters will do good in kael and sirens grotto, shaman are going to be better at WW weak dragons and lodizal maybe one day

Danyelle
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Shaman can turn into bears with Velious.

That's all the information you need to make your decision.

Caridry
05-11-2012, 02:39 PM

this

azeth
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM

hah i 100% forgot about that.

Wonka11
05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Well, would chanter soloing still be pretty fast compared to shaman in certain zones that they could still root and charm in?

I mean, they wont be taking out dragons, but wasn't there other zones that chanters could charm and just absolutely wreck the place similar to kunark?

Also even if Velious comes out, wasn't Kunark still highly desirable when it came to raid targets and groups because the gear is not too much different than velious (meaning dungeons like seb/hs are still cash farms for enchanters) ?

Wonka11
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Or no? Or yes? Continued discourse would be appreciated.

hdawg06
05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Is velious even coming out in the next year?

quido
05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
How effectively can an enchanter solo crypt these days?

Splorf22
05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Enchanters can solo anything under L55 without too much difficulty (including all of the crypt named). It gets much uglier after L55 because those mobs are level immune to stun/mez.

Wonka11
05-12-2012, 03:23 PM
So how does that translate in velious terms? Like in velks lab, or sirens, or such?

Sithel1988
05-12-2012, 03:49 PM
i'd kill myself if i reached end game just so i could solo

Splorf22
05-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I think its a fun challenge. I much prefer to farm duo tho, it's just more fun. EQ is a social game after all.

and back on topic, I don't know much about Velious but part of the change as I understand it is there aren't many good droppable items. So farming stuff like Siren's or Velk isn't as profitable as farming sebilis with items like the fungi tunic or hiero cloak.

Scavrefamn
05-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Velious was the first step in raping Enchanters out of the game.
Dragons, Giants and a great deal of Dwarves are all immune to mesmerize and charm.

Kunark was the Enchanter golden era before bastardization began.

Nirgon
05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah like you couldn't charm ridiculous shit in Kael, OK

Trazer
05-13-2012, 01:39 AM
I played live as an enchanter during Velious. While i believe enchanters were the most power class in the game over the course of the first 5 or so expansions..i think the shaman could solo better during the Velious time. I hate saying it..but they could solo the dragons..while we could only solo one of them =/ (among other things of course)

Splorf22
05-13-2012, 03:06 AM
Care to elaborate? I'm actually pretty curious about this.

Wonka11
05-13-2012, 03:56 AM
I played live as an enchanter during Velious. While i believe enchanters were the most power class in the game over the course of the first 5 or so expansions..i think the shaman could solo better during the Velious time. I hate saying it..but they could solo the dragons..while we could only solo one of them =/ (among other things of course)

Well what I don't understand is, even if shaman can solo better in Velious, whats the point if its just the WW dragons?

According to this thread, velious camps dropped little to no good items in dungeons that could be farmed, and outside of dragons in velious, Kunark still seems the best available option to farm and solo for the challenge (which Enchanters excel at).

So ultimately, is the question really moot and since the loot all drops in Kunark which means Enchanter still has the edge...

Or, with the increased health and mana pools, does shaman become the best soloer since he can now do all of the same things in Kunark that a chanter can do in addition to the mobs in WW?

webrunner5
05-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Well I know that a Shaman is one of the few classes that can solo Lodizal in Iceclad. That thing summons like hell. Some very nice loot on that turtle for sure. It is one, long, drawn out fight for sure.

It also drops one of the map pages for the Eyepatch of Plunder quest. A clicky Haste Face item. Stormfeather is a LONG ass camp to get one of the other map parts.

Problem with a Enchanter in Velious is the mobs hit so much harder. Lots harder. And some of the zones in Velious are a LONG ways away to get back to if you die. And Enchanters die a lot in any expansion.

Scavrefamn
05-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Yeah like you couldn't charm ridiculous shit in Kael, OK

Oh gee, thanks.

That almost makes up for 95% of the worthwhile content being immune to the two class defining Enchanter skills.

+1

HarrisonIsStillPosting
05-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Giants in Kael could be charmed before the nerfs.

If they follow the timeline right, they should be here, too.

Wonka11
05-13-2012, 10:29 AM
What giants nerfed or still able to be charmed?

Also, could anyone help me out with the previous response I posted? Much appreciated.