PDA

View Full Version : Changi's farewell to P1999

Galaa
05-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Firstly, I'll like to say that I just got banned from P1999 due to 2 boxing, and Im not trying to defend myself. It was a stupid mistake on my part, and I write this in the hope that no one else ends up like me.

When I started on P1999 months ago, I requested IP exemption so that my bro can play with me. He did, but after a few weeks he got bored and quit, so Ive been using his account as an EC mule ever since.

Most of the time, when my bro isnt around, I'll login into his PC and sit his character in EC to sell my stuffs, while I went to level up my own character, and for months nothing had happen. I did the most stupid mistake today, leading my account to be banned, so i hope to pass on this information so that no one else will suffer the same fate as I did.

In the past months, although Ive logged into my bro's account to sit in EC, there has never been a problem. Today however, as my bro was around and I cant use his PC, I decided to login both characters using one PC, and this lead to the GMs finding out about it.

Both my characters are AFKing in EC at the time prior to being banned, so Im sure I did not get banned due to suspected 2 boxing behavior reporting by anyone. Thus it leads me to believe that GMs are able to find out that a person is login into 2 accounts using 1 PC. This is the only reason possible, as when I login with 2 PCs for months and was never banned. So to everyone who has IP exemptions out there, NEVER ever login both accounts using one PC, not even to transfer items. If u wanna login 2 accounts, make sure to use 2 different PC, this will be a much safer way to avoid detection.

Anyway thanks to everyone ive met for the past few months in P1999. Ive met a alot of nice people here and my time in P99 was truly enjoyable. Wont be able to see u guys in game anymore, so just gonna say goodbye, and take care not to do stupid things like me :D

PS: The only good thing that comes out of the banning is that Diablo 3 is coming out tomorrow LOL. My friends have been urging me to buy the game for months now, and I wasnt swayed by them as I wanted to just play EQ. Guess this is a sign for me to leave Norrath and enter Sanctuary again :)

Tiladas
05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Duh, mac address.

fuark
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
If this is news to anyone, your advice won't help them anyways.

LiQuid
05-14-2012, 07:20 AM
This isn't 'Nam, Changi. There are rules.

Danyelle
05-14-2012, 07:29 AM
I can see, once peak time rolls around and there's like 40 people on the forums, this post becoming RnF material and being moved there. Just saying.

I don't think getting caught was ever really in doubt... I think some people just say that because they want to think there's some massive conspiracy to destroy all their Everquests.

Akim
05-14-2012, 07:53 AM

LOL

This isn't Nam Walter!

Maze
05-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I like how you try to help people boxing not get caught by telling them how you avoided it for months.

Bye, also heard Diablo sucks enjoy

Caridry
05-14-2012, 08:27 AM

This is..... by far.... the greatest comment to ever be seen in a forum. Sig worthy.

webrunner5
05-14-2012, 08:33 AM
This is..... by far.... the greatest comment to ever be seen in a forum. Sig worthy.

Yeah , I agree, its up there at the top to be sure.

HappyTr33z
05-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Shut the fuck up Donnie, you're out of your element.

Barkingturtle
05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
OP is confirmed pederast.

Wudan
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
You said it man! Nobody fucks with Jesus!

Supaskillz
05-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I like how you learned the lesson, "Be careful when you cheat" instead of "Don't cheat". /sigh

Danyelle
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I like how you learned to call, "Boxing", "Cheating".

I like how you learned the lesson, "Be careful when you box on P99" instead of "Don't box on P99". /sigh

fixed.

choster
05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Since when is breaking the established rules to gain an unfair advantage not cheating?

Supaskillz
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I like how you learned to call, "Boxing", "Cheating".

fixed.

breaking rules = cheating. Since when did cheating get a new definition?

Artah
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
If you had EQ running minimized with a logged on char and forgot about it because you got distracted for a while and launched a 2nd copy to login to different account.

This ever happened to anyone willing to admit it? You had zero intentions of 2boxing and always follows rules but got banned anyway.

Supaskillz
05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
If you had EQ running minimized with a logged on char and forgot about it because you got distracted for a while and launched a 2nd copy to login to different account.

This ever happened to anyone willing to admit it? You had zero intentions of 2boxing and always follows rules but got banned anyway.

That is not what happened to this guy, but that cannot happen to me b/c i have no up exemption.

Gwence
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I wouldnt consider it cheating, but you do it at your own risk as this guy found out.

HeallunRumblebelly
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM

I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the mud so this asshole could 2 box!

Supaskillz
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldnt consider it cheating, but you do it at your own risk as this guy found out.

Breaking a rule you disagree with is not cheating I guess lol.

inyane
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Now if you only would have been doing RMT's, you'd have been fine.

but oh no, you had to two box. ban!

Kwetcher
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Now if you only would have been doing RMT's, you'd have been fine.

but oh no, you had to two box. ban!

Actually, Amelinda sent out system wide message noting that 40-50 accounts have now been banned since last week for RMT.

Wonder who is now recruiting. LOL

Danyelle
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Whether boxing is cheating or not depends on the perspective. I, for example, do not see it as cheating as it's permitted elswhere. Even Live. I do, however, consider it against the rules for this server and the ban was deserving. Were you to follow the strict definition of cheating, though, it is considered cheating, as it's breaking the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

So it's a matter of perspective on whether it's cheating or not. It is not a matter of perspective in regards to whether it is breaking the rules and deserving of a ban, though.

Also, the argument of "Breaking a rule automatically equals cheating" is null. Reason being there are a plethora of possible rules that, when broken, don't provide you with any advantage over anyone. You simply broke a rule. For example, say Nilbog decided it would be illegal to swap out the lavastorm .mp3 file with an .mp3 of any song by Justin Beiber (who can blame him?) and he puts a new .dll in the client that prevents such a change, and someone finds a workaround and decides to swap the mp3s anyway. This is still breaking a rule, however by the strict definition of 'cheating', it's not cheating. Zoning into Lavastorm and hearing a Justin Beiber song play in the background wouldn't provide you with any advantage over a player without such a file swap.

Also, inb4 this thread becomes another TMO hate thread. It's already heading in that direction. RnF here we come!

Artah
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
That is not what happened to this guy, but that cannot happen to me b/c i have no up exemption.

I was just wondering if someone ever got banned for accidentally doing this. I know Changi is guilty and admitted it.

choster
05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Whether boxing is cheating or not depends on the perspective. I, for example, do not see it as cheating as it's permitted elswhere. Even Live. I do, however, consider it against the rules for this server and the ban was deserving. Were you to follow the strict definition of cheating, though, it is considered cheating, as it's breaking the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

This is astonishingly illogical. I agree that it is not cheating on those other servers. It is not against the rules there, also, as it is permissible for everyone it doesn't provide an unfair advantage. That fact, and your "perpective" have absolutely nothing to do with whether boxing is cheating on P99.

casdegere
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

So it's a matter of perspective on whether it's cheating or not. It is not a matter of perspective in regards to whether it is breaking the rules and deserving of a ban, though.

Also, the argument of "Breaking a rule automatically equals cheating" is null. Reason being there are a plethora of possible rules that, when broken, don't provide you with any advantage over anyone. You simply broke a rule. For example, say Nilbog decided it would be illegal to swap out the lavastorm .mp3 file with an .mp3 of any song by Justin Beiber (who can blame him?) and he puts a new .dll in the client that prevents such a change, and someone finds a workaround and decides to swap the mp3s anyway. This is still breaking a rule, however by the strict definition of 'cheating', it's not cheating. Zoning into Lavastorm and hearing a Justin Beiber song play in the background wouldn't provide you with any advantage over a player without such a file swap.

Also, inb4 this thread becomes another TMO hate thread. It's already heading in that direction. RnF here we come!

It doesn't matter what you really think, it's not your server. Your example is a case of apples and oranges. Get a clue and check back later k? Alot of people 2 box here. First thing I would do is look over everyone sitting in EC for starters. Many have a toon sitting in EC and another someplace else most likely using a laptop and a desktop or 2 laptops. The advantage is time spent. I have to burn time EITHER selling or adventuring. Some 2 boxers are braver, they use 1 support toon and 1 battle toon working together. You can hit a harder camp where a single player can not. Allowing the 2 toons to level faster, get better loot etc. If they allowed 2 boxing which could mean 3 boxing or more for some you can kiss most good camps goodbye. AKA, permacamped as one toon the camp holder and 1 toon the support toon and mule. Banning such a practice affords equal opportunity and time spent, everyone on a similiar playing field. 2 boxing can afford selling loot/aquiring wealth simultaneously with xping where most people do not have such an advantage.

Nuggie
05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, Amelinda sent out system wide message noting that 40-50 accounts have now been banned since last week for RMT.

Wonder who is now recruiting. LOL

Anyone who RMT's on their main account isn't doing it right. :rolleyes:

In before RNF and hate TMO

casdegere
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
As more and more accounts get banned, so do those characters, equipment and all Plat on them.

Every day people join and every day people get banned, thus the circle of life here.

PowaGamer
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
It's funny caz i bet there are at least 10 chars sitting in EC right now that are multi-boxers. There are players who's names never leave the tunnel and i know those people dont just sit there all day and item trade.

I've also personally seen around 10-15 multi-boxers since i started about 2 weeks ago. But w/e if killing server population is more important than building groups then so be it. That's why I went necro.

porigromus
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
It's funny caz i bet there are at least 10 chars sitting in EC right now that are multi-boxers. There are players who's names never leave the tunnel and i know those people dont just sit there all day and item trade.

I've also personally seen around 10-15 multi-boxers since i started about 2 weeks ago. But w/e if killing server population is more important than building groups then so be it. That's why I went necro.

So you are basically saying its bad to ban two boxers who want to play solo anyhow or they will end up like you and play one class solo. I don't see how it shod bother me the cheaters are band so I can't get any camps because one person is hogging them

batkiller
05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
I don't get why anyone would 2 box on P99 anyway when there are lots of other servers that allow it. I have 2 entire installs of EQ so I can play on two very different EQ emulators (not that I've played the other one for several months, but still). And in fact, I also have a copy of WoW which has a massive selection of servers - all very well populated with lots of different rules (some are strict, some let you buy items etc), and you can box as many times as you want. Many people 6 box infact.

So there are other options, no point ruining your chance to play on a pure version of EQ (p99) when you can just get your box-fix somewhere else and come back here for proper EQ.

Amelinda
05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Anyone who RMT's on their main account isn't doing it right. :rolleyes:

In before RNF and hate TMO

You'd be surprised who i caught with their pants down recently.

i do 2-box sweeps several times a day if i'm bored. sometimes i manage to match up all of the IP's in time and sometimes i don't...everyone will get theirs eventually.. I just busted someone on red for 2-boxing who had 2 totally legit looking IP's from 2 different countries. You'd be surprised how much I know about people on these servers.

Asher
05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Duh, mac address.

Only Mac address the outside world sees is your Router/DSL Modem/Cable Modem directly attached to your ISP and even then, only they see it.

Asher

finalgrunt
05-18-2012, 02:38 AM
You'd be surprised who i caught with their pants down recently.

Aaaand ... you've said too little or too much. Tell us more please :D