PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for you to switch to Red99?

Rootwind
05-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Our server has a max of 85ppl around on any given night. This makes it hard to find groups, and PvPfor that matter. What are the main problems, in your opinion, with Red99?

Glorindale
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
The main problem with Red99 is that it is Red99.

Rootwind
05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
The main problem with Red99 is that it is Red99.

Elaborate....Why make such a vague statement.

Fazlazen
05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I want an erudite sk with DE mask and full lustrous russet. Make it happen.

Hitchens
05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm having a pretty good time on Red. Global OOC provides for great entertainment while grinding.

Glorindale
05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Elaborate....Why make such a vague statement.

You really need me to spell it out? Most people don't want to pvp. Why is that so hard to understand?

Auchae
05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I plan to play on Red99 when I get a new comp. When P99 first came out, global OOC was the best part, oddly enough. Every discussion always came back to whether or not weed is a bad thing. Funny stuff.

Swish
05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Its too much of a cannibalistic server to ever hope to survive. It's like the ECG machine isn't registering a heart beat and its just a matter of time before someone flicks the switch and turns it off.

Marmo
05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Item loot, and 2boxing.

batkiller
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I just don't think EQ is very good as a PVP game. I would bet that the majority of the population is casters, it surely can't be much fun leveling a cleric or rogue or warrior or something, all by yourself with the occasional gankers making it even harder.

I would maybe play if it had a population of around 1000, and lower xp rate. But it seems no fun to me because there is nobody to fight with and almost everyone is in a guild which to me, is pretty chicken... It's hardly FFA when everyone is guilded, more like group vs group, guild vs guild.

I'm going to play GW2 anyway, that will be fun for PVP.

p.s. It also has too many nasty people. Right from the start I saw a guild called Holocaust and knew it wasn't for me.

casdegere
05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I played it a tiny bit before it was officially released. Jack muffins camping spawn points and continuously harrowing 1st to 5th level players who just started. Um why? All you RED99 lovers continously harrass in the game and in the forums. You got your server aren't you happy?

Silentone
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
PVP was meant to be a tool in EQ to settle disputes over camps or loot, however on red99 people use to grief. I played from 1 to 43 on release, and quickly realized it was just a bad place to be. People racing to 50 so they can shit on people 42+ wasn’t what I imagined eq pvp to be about. Also with such a small population when you have 25 people who are complete asshats, that’s half your population, which means no consequence for acting like complete idiots.

Mayhem2
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I would rather hammer my balls flat with a mallet.....

Supaskillz
05-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I doubt you find too many converts here. I think if more new people become interested p99 that r99 would be of interest to them in large part because the younger state of the server.

I btw play on both, but I mostly play on blue. Since its perfectly legal to "box" 1 character on each server I am surprised more people do not do like me and play a dude on red when doing something slow on blue.

Hitchens
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
If my first experience with Red was while it was new, I'd probably share the opinions of folks like SilentOne. Because, no, it does not sound like it was very fun back then.

There seem to be a lot fewer people on Red who are in constant LOLINTERNET mode and it really isn't a bad place to play.

Silentone
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
If my first experience with Red was while it was new, I'd probably share the opinions of folks like SilentOne. Because, no, it does not sound like it was very fun back then.

There seem to be a lot fewer people on Red who are in constant LOLINTERNET mode and it really isn't a bad place to play.

Ya, well I figured as much with only 50 online i sure that number has shrunk just like the population.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
You guys have the complete wrong idea about red.

Red makes eq 10 times funner, seriously. Blue just is not interesting to me anymore. It was VP that got me to try red anyway, as i liked griefing IB.

Its great. Thats all i can say.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 02:23 PM
You have to remember too, nobody on red is on thier account afk, like possibly 100 players across the server at any time.

On red, if you arent at the keyboard, you arent in game. If you are, youre probably dead.

Zuranthium
05-18-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm having a pretty good time on Red. Global OOC provides for great entertainment while grinding.

They put Global OOC in? Well that helps.

I believe the best MMORPG's should incorporate some level of PvP into the game and, with the way this game currently is, "Red EQ" is certainly more interesting. It at least adds something REAL and UNPREDICTABLE to a game where there is nothing left to discover. At the same time, it's annoying that the devs will only adhere strictly to "EQ PvP with the exact same coding as over 10 years ago", especially since NOBODY can agree on what resists and such were actually like back then, because the actual PvP should be a lot more engaging.

HarrisonIsStillPosting
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Bans for players caught exploiting content, mechanics, etc.

Zero legitimacy on Red99, like P99. The guild on top cheats to high hell and nothing is ever done about with exception to 2boxing, the only thing you can ever get banned for.

aegeryen
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I want an erudite sk with DE mask and full lustrous russet. Make it happen.
And a CoF... dont forget the CoF...

Seriously, though have thought about it a little .... just a little though...

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Dont listen to harrison, everyone should now he is labeled insane by his state.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
PVP vid from last night, me vs 2 retards.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fKt8qOxAHbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fazlazen
05-18-2012, 03:06 PM
PVP vid from last night, me vs 2 retards.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fKt8qOxAHbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

either you have a huge level advantage on the rogue, or this is the most retarded resist system I have ever seen.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Both druid and rogue were both yellow to me.

I think they forgot to put up MR.... oops

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
To be fair, none of these chars will have PR, the druid has essentially no MR, seaweed only has about 45 MR. Rest of saves are around 20, so im definately no resisting much.

(i did resist a dizzying wind)

Slave
05-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I have said this since the beginning and I will continue saying it until the server dies from nobody listening:

Red needs teams.

There is no way it is going to retain newcomers who are seeking that same sense of wonder and awe that they got from playing Classic PvP without it. You have friends, you have enemies, things are in balance; there is an awesome dynamic that occurs when there are teams on a PvP server.

aegeryen
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I have said this since the beginning and I will continue saying it until the server dies from nobody listening:

Red needs teams.

There is no way it is going to retain newcomers who are seeking that same sense of wonder and awe that they got from playing Classic PvP without it. You have friends, you have enemies, things are in balance; there is an awesome dynamic that occurs when there are teams on a PvP server.

Agreed

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Id rather be able to attack anyone i want... How annoyed would you be, on a pvp server... when the guy you hate most just so happens to play the same side as you?

might as well be back on blue asking for a line at the frenzy camp.... LOL no thanks

tekniq
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
If everyone started off at level 50 with all of their spells.

Jazz
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I think what a lot of bluebies don't understand is that PvP among solo players is foreplay to grouping / guilding. If the foreplay goes well (fight wasn't completely one sided) you group / guild up. If the fight was completely one-sided, shit gets talked, both players move on, better luck next time. PvP does not have to be antagonistic. It would be akin to shouting obscenities at your opponents every time they kill you in a FPS. That would get tiring fast.

If red had teams, it would be the same as blue. On red you can forcibly clear poopsockers out of the zone and camp their corpses for good measure while you farm. If there were teams, then you are waiting in line to kill dragons behind whatever zerg guild happens to be on your team.

Lazortag
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
People keep saying that eq isn't a very good pvp game, but honestly I feel it's even less polished as a pve game. There are a lot of classes that are useless at the high end on blue servers that are much more useful on red servers. If you're contesting a mob on a red server, every class you bring can be put to use, whereas on blue a lot of classes' roles get reduced to doing patch heals or slightly extra dps. I'm sure a lot of people playing druids or rangers on blue sometimes get the feeling that a raid would have done just fine without them, but on a red server there are so many more ways to contribute to a raid, that you rarely feel that way.

Also, pvp is better for roleplaying. On red99 there was a guy who roleplayed a robot from the future, a few people who roleplay as crusaders for justice/anti-PKers, etc. In classic it was pretty common to find people roleplaying as elf (or any race) supremacists, some people just slew evil races, and some people played the game as if it was an FPS and just killed everyone, the list goes on. Eq is a much deeper game when pvp is enabled, and if it weren't for the low population/large number of douchebags I'd prefer the red server to the blue server.

Kassel
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Teams

&

A dedicated GM (not guide) with full powers (access to logs etc) who is is tough as nails and resistant to manipulation while still being able to operate in a professional manner. Someone who can control red players who insist on acting like degenerates (cast) who is smart enough not to get baited by trolls. Someone who's main role is to simply manage the non-development portion of the server as well as provide a formal conduit to developers.

Hitchens
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I like the uncertainty playing on Red brings. Is this guy going to attack me or say hello? It just adds a little something extra to a fairly unexciting game.

Slave
05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Id rather be able to attack anyone i want... How annoyed would you be, on a pvp server... when the guy you hate most just so happens to play the same side as you?

might as well be back on blue asking for a line at the frenzy camp.... LOL no thanks

Then continue on your way to oblivion.

Maze
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
To be fair, none of these chars will have PR, the druid has essentially no MR, seaweed only has about 45 MR. Rest of saves are around 20, so im definately no resisting much.

(i did resist a dizzying wind)

Neither of those players know wtf is going on lol, WTB pumice or at least MR jewelry.

+1 Seaweedpimp

Weekapaug
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
In my 13 years of EQ in its various forms, I've largely played blue except for a brief but glorious time on SZ when it first launched. Had to take a break due to RL and I still to this day hate that I couldn't stay with it. Was in a smokin guild too. Some of the best players I've ever played EQ or any other game with before or since. Seriously, shout out to any old Gladius Fatalis (I think that's what it was called) people who may be here. That guild was pro and I learned so much during my brief time with it.

Playing EQ pvp is kind of like driving in NYC. The first few times you do it, you think everyone is freaking insane. After a while you realize there is a method to the madness and it actually works great if everyone is on board.

The biggest thing, I think, blue players don't realize about EQ pvp is, while it's a lot harsher and less practical than in other games, certainly less hand-holdy, it breathes whole new life into a game that weve all played over and over and over. It adds randomness that doesn't exist. I can go get Jboots now for any toon on blue I want in a matter of hours. I could never have done that on live because no one knew how the spawn really worked back then. Can I do that on red now? I don't have a toon that can camp it yet, but if I did, would I just be able to do it at leisure? I doubt it. It will be actual work.

If you are blue and curious about what I'm talking about, get on the wiki and browse thru the different classes spell lists. A lot of "crap" that classes get that are barely ever used in PvE takes on a whole new life in PvP....read spells through the prism of pvp and its a whole new game for some classes....Blinds, disempowers, etc....marginally usefull spells sometimes become game changers in PvP. I'm not sure how it is here, but I can remember Rangers being one of the nastiest classes to have to deal with in the hands of a good player....Rangers are supposed to suck, right? Paladins? Not in pvp.

Then it makes you make new use of the world. On SZ we had teams....Evils had all the choice levelling areas so we had to make use of other areas....Got to grind it out with lots of great players in areas we normally wouldnt....out of necessity. My guild, for example, had everyone make their way to Rivervale area so that we could all level up and gear up on Blackened Alloy etc from Runnyeye and Bronze from Highpass. Then we all relocated to Thurgadin and started factioning so we could block evils from getting a foodhold. Or something...it's been a while....but you see what I'm getting at. It forces you to play the game strategicly, not just plan out what gear you want and going to get it. Or just havign to deal with the tactics of a raid. You have to deal with everything.

A lot of the things that turn blue players off about pvp also make sense if you look at it from a PvP perspective rather than a PvE one. Like training. Training was allowed on SZ and that is usually one of the thigns that blue players point to as evidence that pvp is just awful.....Actually, it makes complete sense. If you are going to an area, be prepared for the mobs in that area. When an entire guild of evils (with probably on average a 10 level lead) showed up to raid highpass one day while there was nothing there but a group of us, we were able to hold them off by training guards. Sounds terrbile, but you have to understand OUR territory was being INVADED by a superior force. Training balanced it. They should have come better prepared. And we would have expected the same thing if we had decided to have an outing in Neriak or something. Training is not allowed here, so this is just an example. Or no teams, as was mentioned above. The bluebie that I am, being on a FFA PvP server makes me a little nervous, but it does make total sense. You get a shithead on your same team on a teams server (and you will) it's worse than having enemies around all the time. In short, the harshness of the environment is really what evens it out.

The KEY is never to bitch. Never talk smack. The ones who do are usually pros and they know what they are getting themselves into. Blue civilians are urged to learn before saying ANYTHING to ANYONE. It's like hockey. You take your beating and give a good one yourself here and there people will respect you. You whine or bitch about it, you are marked. Show up with visible stitches and they will make a point of opening them back up for you.

I could go on.....Seriously, if you love EQ and have played for years and have gotten bored with the predictablity, but don't want to go someplace where everything has been changed around where it's not even EQ anymore, but you want a totally different way to play the game we love, RED may be your answer.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
In my 13 years of EQ in its various forms, I've largely played blue except for a brief but glorious time on SZ when it first launched. Had to take a break due to RL and I still to this day hate that I couldn't stay with it. Was in a smokin guild too. Some of the best players I've ever played EQ or any other game with before or since. Seriously, shout out to any old Gladius Fatalis (I think that's what it was called) people who may be here. That guild was pro and I learned so much during my brief time with it.

Playing EQ pvp is kind of like driving in NYC. The first few times you do it, you think everyone is freaking insane. After a while you realize there is a method to the madness and it actually works great if everyone is on board.

The biggest thing, I think, blue players don't realize about EQ pvp is, while it's a lot harsher and less practical than in other games, certainly less hand-holdy, it breathes whole new life into a game that weve all played over and over and over. It adds randomness that doesn't exist. I can go get Jboots now for any toon on blue I want in a matter of hours. I could never have done that on live because no one knew how the spawn really worked back then. Can I do that on red now? I don't have a toon that can camp it yet, but if I did, would I just be able to do it at leisure? I doubt it. It will be actual work.

If you are blue and curious about what I'm talking about, get on the wiki and browse thru the different classes spell lists. A lot of "crap" that classes get that are barely ever used in PvE takes on a whole new life in PvP....read spells through the prism of pvp and its a whole new game for some classes....Blinds, disempowers, etc....marginally usefull spells sometimes become game changers in PvP. I'm not sure how it is here, but I can remember Rangers being one of the nastiest classes to have to deal with in the hands of a good player....Rangers are supposed to suck, right? Paladins? Not in pvp.

Then it makes you make new use of the world. On SZ we had teams....Evils had all the choice levelling areas so we had to make use of other areas....Got to grind it out with lots of great players in areas we normally wouldnt....out of necessity. My guild, for example, had everyone make their way to Rivervale area so that we could all level up and gear up on Blackened Alloy etc from Runnyeye and Bronze from Highpass. Then we all relocated to Thurgadin and started factioning so we could block evils from getting a foodhold. Or something...it's been a while....but you see what I'm getting at. It forces you to play the game strategicly, not just plan out what gear you want and going to get it. Or just havign to deal with the tactics of a raid. You have to deal with everything.

A lot of the things that turn blue players off about pvp also make sense if you look at it from a PvP perspective rather than a PvE one. Like training. Training was allowed on SZ and that is usually one of the thigns that blue players point to as evidence that pvp is just awful.....Actually, it makes complete sense. If you are going to an area, be prepared for the mobs in that area. When an entire guild of evils (with probably on average a 10 level lead) showed up to raid highpass one day while there was nothing there but a group of us, we were able to hold them off by training guards. Sounds terrbile, but you have to understand OUR territory was being INVADED by a superior force. Training balanced it. They should have come better prepared. And we would have expected the same thing if we had decided to have an outing in Neriak or something. Training is not allowed here, so this is just an example. Or no teams, as was mentioned above. The bluebie that I am, being on a FFA PvP server makes me a little nervous, but it does make total sense. You get a shithead on your same team on a teams server (and you will) it's worse than having enemies around all the time. In short, the harshness of the environment is really what evens it out.

The KEY is never to bitch. Never talk smack. The ones who do are usually pros and they know what they are getting themselves into. Blue civilians are urged to learn before saying ANYTHING to ANYONE. It's like hockey. You take your beating and give a good one yourself here and there people will respect you. You whine or bitch about it, you are marked. Show up with visible stitches and they will make a point of opening them back up for you.

I could go on.....Seriously, if you love EQ and have played for years and have gotten bored with the predictablity, but don't want to go someplace where everything has been changed around where it's not even EQ anymore, but you want a totally different way to play the game we love, RED may be your answer.

A+ post

will read again

Zereh
05-18-2012, 06:07 PM
... see above ...

Yes yes yes. Great post.

The worst thing with R99 (albeit not as much now) and emulated servers in general is people tend to bring all of their baggage from previous boxes along with them which includes the delusions that a) they're somebody big and important, b) they're the best-of-the-best at the game, c) that someone new can't come along and squash them, d) that being a jackass on the forums or /ooc impresses anyone but themselves and their little nuthugging friends.

I certainly started on Red with a ton of misconceptions about the players and the game. Turns out that I am guilded with great people and the server is full of great enemies. It's a whole new world out there. In-game behavior has just as much of an impact on Red as it does Blue, maybe more so. Griefers tend to be flashes in the pan with little or no sustainability.

Seaweedpimp
05-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Killing them softly

Murtos
05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
i would play on red if it had attention to its development. and other players cared for more players to play with.

Weekapaug
05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
i would play on red if it had attention to its development. and other players cared for more players to play with.

I hear what you are saying, but I would submit that since red follows a timeline that had the development work done already for blue, that really isn't as big an issue as it is for blue. True, there are pvp specific issues (resists appear to be the big one) but that's to be expected on a server like this, no?

If you ignore what goes on in /ooc and on the forums, I think you will be shocked at how very very cool most people on red really are. I've been screwing around with newbie toons on red contemplating starting there and have had half a dozen interactions with other players.....

One, someone tried to root and train me at the entrance to crushbone repeatedly. We zone danced and they eventually killed me. I came back got my corpse and medded up. They came back and attacked me again....another zone dance....This time I got them to 1% before they managed to zone and plug. Put me off my levelling for a bit but definately got the adrenaline going. And put a big grin on my face. Welcome to PvP.

Every other has involved higher levels helping me out with a bind I needed, giving advice, and even encouraging me to level up and join their guild. This, I would like to believe is the silent majority of that server that you never hear about on the boards. Nobody is going to hand you anything, nor should they. What, I think, people want to see is some initiative and thick skin and they will respect you as a player there.

You just need an open mind, a thick skin, a sense of humor and a love of EQ to have fun in pvp, imo. It's more about how you approach it than the other players, I think.

Scavrefamn
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Vallon Zek rules but hard coded.

I.e. race wars, Lighties/Elves/Pecks/Darkies.
4 teams.
Free for all.

Yeah.

Rushmore
05-18-2012, 10:24 PM
If everyone started off at level 50 with all of their spells.

this or some type of compromise like ....level 45 to start and and regular xp mods from 45-60.....

Slave
05-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Vallon Zek rules but hard coded.

I.e. race wars, Lighties/Elves/Pecks/Darkies.
4 teams.
Free for all.

Yeah.

No. History has shown us that if you leave all the best race/class combos to one team, that team is the winner of the server before it even begins. Trolls and Ogres, Shadowknights and Necromancers are incredibly powerful in PvP and unfortunately you MUST balance the races in an uncanonical fashion if there is to be parity and good times on Red.

Brimacombe
05-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I was on SZ and good team. Check the official site. What's up, Halas?

I would play red in a hot second if I could get my characters duplicated to red. There are DBags on every server, but in red, you can punish them for it. Bind camping solves a lot of bad behavior. You get with a good group of guildies and get things popping like clockwork in PVP and it's a sight to see. Just one thing:
You are going to die, a lot.
If you get emotions involved when you die, you are not only a poor sport, but you are going to be a target for many people, and a untouchable to the rest. You take your deaths and gankings like a man. What goes around comes around.
I just don't want to spend months re-establishing my foundation again. If I could get my characters duped to Red, absolutely.

"Magic is in the feeling, I can make you do, what I want you to."
-Brimacombe

Bwils
05-18-2012, 11:41 PM
If they reset the server, kept global ooc, and banned the exploiters. Red 99 was a lot of fun on release then the first people to 50 exploited, and top guilds as well. Ruined it for everyone and now it is dead...

Handull
05-18-2012, 11:55 PM
it would be nice if certain buffs were restricted by the pvp level range. it would be hard to say which ones, but just ports, sow, levi, and invis/ivu/see-invis would probably be enough. I know this kinda sounds stupid, (and it ruins a lot of powerleveling, but who cares), but it really kills the low end of the game when a lvl 50 hangs around his lvl 15 buddy and keeps him fully buffed and the lowbie griefs anyone in level range who zones in to exp. hard to fight that kinda person when the server pop is so low (i guess this goes back to the issue of too many griefers for how many people play red)

Bwils
05-18-2012, 11:58 PM
The only realistic thing that would bring people to red is if the blue loggin server is down. Like right now, 70 on red. New high for them!

Harmonium
05-19-2012, 12:12 AM
I'd play on Red if it were just starting out. As it is, the idea of running around with a rusty weapon and a cloth tunic against twinks who can roflstomp me and loot my coppers just doesn't sound appealing.

I played on Tallon Zek a little back in the day. I enjoyed the short vs medium vs large race team setup.

I had a gnome shadowknight that was in an all gnome guild, had a great time.

And when another shortie race was being a douchebag, I'd log in my woodelf bard and either take care of him myself or feed intel to someone else who could take care of him if i couldn't or didn't want to.

While not entirely against FFA (it has its perks) I would definitely prefer a team based pvp server myself.

evilnancyreagan
05-19-2012, 12:25 AM
as mentioned before; since you can be logged into blue and red simultaneously there really isn't much reason to not putz around on red from time to time other than the fear of having some assclown squash your epeen. with all the inherent down time eq bestows upon us, a jovial foray into the entertaining masochism that is red should be an obvious distraction. I guess some people will never say "spit in my mouth!".

Weekapaug
05-19-2012, 01:13 AM
as mentioned before; since you can be logged into blue and red simultaneously there really isn't much reason to not putz around on red from time to time other than the fear of having some assclown squash your epeen. with all the inherent down time eq bestows upon us, a jovial foray into the entertaining masochism that is red should be an obvious distraction. I guess some people will never say "spit in my mouth!".

Being logged in with one toon on each blue and red isn't considered boxing? Very cool.

Lazortag
05-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Being logged in with one toon on each blue and red isn't considered boxing? Very cool.

I do this while auctioning in EC or tracking for raid mobs. I'm surprised so few people do this.

Weekapaug
05-19-2012, 01:51 AM
That's fantastic.

porigromus
05-19-2012, 01:57 AM
I would Play on red but population bad. I don't want to play alone.

Smilkers
05-19-2012, 02:50 AM

I haven't played Red since launch (17 shammy), but you nailed everything about the server that I enjoyed. Nice post. Almost makes me want to play there again despite the awful population. Hehe.

Grahm
05-19-2012, 02:56 AM
I just don't think EQ is very good as a PVP game. I would bet that the majority of the population is casters, it surely can't be much fun leveling a cleric or rogue or warrior or something, all by yourself with the occasional gankers making it even harder.

I would maybe play if it had a population of around 1000, and lower xp rate. But it seems no fun to me because there is nobody to fight with and almost everyone is in a guild which to me, is pretty chicken... It's hardly FFA when everyone is guilded, more like group vs group, guild vs guild.

I'm going to play GW2 anyway, that will be fun for PVP.

p.s. It also has too many nasty people. Right from the start I saw a guild called Holocaust and knew it wasn't for me.

didnt read rest of thread before this post, but is this dog really askin for a 1000 person server and lower xp rates.......obvious troll is obvious

Seaweedpimp
05-19-2012, 04:03 AM
I see alot of people complaining about the population. I agree, pop is low compared to blue. But imagine if there were that many players on red. Every zone would be a bloodfest. It would take 5x longer to exp from 1-50 as it does now, unless you are really really good at "pvp".

I joined red right as it supposivly lost most of its pop. When i started there were allmost exactly the same numbers as im used to when i play now. I will agree, it does sound hard to level from ZIP on a pvp server, without knowing anyone, but you will make friends. Just like you did on blue, you will meet others in your low levels, create bonds, and lean toward a certain guild.

There are a few lower end guilds out there that do nothing but group up and exp, but dont expect them to come to the other side of the world to help you fight off a pk'er like they would in nihilum or my guild, founding fathers.

Its kind of silly to watch dozens upon dozens of players complain about the pop when they dont log in atleast 3x per week. If you want the pop to grow, start playing!

While the pop is low, you will find players that will enjoy interacting with you, and will help you. Nobody that plays wants any less players. Its not a stale world. But if it hit 40 pop every day primetime it would kind of suck.

If we could just get 175 playes on, at prime times, every day, i promise you will have 100x the fun you would on blue. (unless you are an extremely casual player, not alot of playtime etc)

Try it. Roll something that can solo up to 20 (not that you will have too, but the low end pop is definately smaller than the mid-high end levels). In the time you get from 1-20 (definately easier than i had it 2 months ago leveling up with the new exp bonus that scales thru 1 - 50) you will hopefully meet a few players you enjoy playing with,have the same playtime etc, and you can enjoy this server like i have.

azxten
05-19-2012, 06:36 AM
There were two main problems on R99. I leveled up to 40 and was part of first dragon kill. Haven't played since. These problems go hand in hand.

First, the population is too low to support diverse playerbase. On classic PvP servers there was anti-PK guilds, PK guilds, raid guilds, etc. You could actually hang out in zones without it being a constant PvP battle. Less players usually means you're desperate for some PvP so almost all interactions result in PvP instead of it being an occasional highlight, which is why I played PvP on live.

Second, the players that did play on R99 were generally huge assholes. From complete loot whores to the douchy people posting screen shots of every kill on the forums. There were very few people weren't incredibly greedy over loot or complete assholes over PvP when it did happen.

It gets old when every item drop turns into a major drama fest among groups/guilds and every fight turns into "YOU SHOULD KILL YOURSELF YOU SUCK AT PVP LOLOLOL" or "FAGGOT JUMPING ME WHEN I HAD NO MANA, NO SKILLZ LOLOLOLOL"

Basically the R99 community destroyed itself with its attitude. Had the players been more casual and relaxed I think the server could have done much better.

I think really the most "hardcore" PvPers who enjoy the shit talking, corpse camping, etc.. of which I have to admit I was one.. basically crushed the will of those more casual players who ended up in the crossfire sometimes.

I remember in Oasis around level 14 there was some Holocaust in the zone who were corpse camping some random newbs who weren't even guilded. It was like 6 Holocaust level 14-18 corpse camping 2 level 12 players who weren't even friends. All of this in the name of "zone control." Well, guess what? Mr. Bluebie isn't going to leave his favorite leveling zone because you have "zone control." He's going to get bored and leave the server.

R99 is what the current players made of it, a pile of shit.

Oh I didn't answer the question.. it would take at least 300+ on at prime time, and a significant attitude change among the player base. I've literally NEVER in my life seen such a horrible group of assholes on an MMO server.

HarrisonIsStillPosting
05-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Zero legitimacy on Red99, like P99. The guild on top cheats to high hell and nothing is ever done about with exception to 2boxing, the only thing you can ever get banned for.

Daldaen
05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I'd play on R99 if it was changed to Blue 99 Classic no Kunark.

Torrinn
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
If the classes would be left with their spells and abilities intact without all the balancing and rebalancing that Sony used to do that only made things worse, I would take the server seriously. If the admins are going to nerf entire class abilities or make some spells completely unusable or reduce their effectiveness to the point where they are functionally unusable, it's not worth it.

Seaweedpimp
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rHDmL7xkIls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

taken 12 hours ago

hdawg06
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Only way I'd play there is if they had an earlier release of Velious than blue.

Maze
05-22-2012, 06:33 PM
red99 is much funner, people just dont have patience till 30 when it gets good =/

Seaweedpimp
05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Only way I'd play there is if they had an earlier release of Velious than blue.

Get the red experience now. When kunark drops the world will be twice the size, And kunark alts will destroy new players regardless of skill.

Red players would have to hope for an additional 100 players on red when kunark hits, it might happen, who knows.

LizardNecro
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Just gonna quote my post on this from a while back.

I definitely considered it. But reading the forums it sounded like there is a low population. Also I think that having ffa pvp as opposed to teams leads to a few problems:

* OOR clerics healing your target. This (and the related problem of cross team healing on vt/tz) is the main reason I never played on rallos. You can't have people helping your target that you can't attack.

* No friends. The team makeup of SZ brings about very strong ties. I found that people on my team were (in general) much more helpful than people on blue servers. On SZ, you never knew when you might REALLY need someone. So it incentivised people to help each other, group together. On an FFA pvp server, people are incentivised to solo, because you never know when a random person might kill you.

I think the red99 server is a great idea, and I hope it does well. I don't think it's for me, even though I had a great time on SZ. For me, it would have to be a teams server that has no "immortal healing". That would give the environment an incentive to pve together (teams) as well as a good incentive to pvp (no immortal healers).

That's just my opinion of course.

Also I think Slave is completely right. You need teams, but teams that make it fair. Can't have all the necros/SK/Troll/Ogres on the "evil" team.

Seaweedpimp
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Have to try it before you knock it.

Theres an extra exp mod for christ sake. You wouldnt lose that much of your valuable lifetime lvling to 50.

Mornin3.0
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
all you bluebie noobs wouldnt survive.. stay in your safe little bubble.

Seaweedpimp
05-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Dont say that mornin !

Vostok
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I'll play red when it becomes DAOC. Inb4 h8rz

hdawg06
05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Get the red experience now. When kunark drops the world will be twice the size, And kunark alts will destroy new players regardless of skill.

Red players would have to hope for an additional 100 players on red when kunark hits, it might happen, who knows.

I meant the only reason I would play would be if it had velious and blue was still on kunark. I honestly don't know if velious will ever release, so I doubt that is possible.

I played a few levels on red for a while and it was decent, but low population and EQ being a grouping game almost destroys it.

Sinder
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
<3 pvp! Giving up previously acquired progression and character development is rough though. especially in classic EQ. also 85 players max makes it sound intimidating for newbies to the server when you think 85 lvl 60s vs 1 lvl 10 or something.

Seaweedpimp
05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
No, its a lvl 4 spread. 4 levels below 4 levels above, till you hit the 30s or something, then it goes up to 8 lvl spread.

BTW grey down just now

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RpZYr7lqwAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Torrinn
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Just gonna quote my post on this from a while back.

Also I think Slave is completely right. You need teams, but teams that make it fair. Can't have all the necros/SK/Troll/Ogres on the "evil" team.

As I recall on Sullon, that was what you had so what's the big deal? The Good and Neutral teams still managed to survive against evil which were almost all necro/sk. What I hated was the constant tweaking to PvP that made it so you never knew from one patch to the next whether your character was going to be a PvP god or dogmeat. There is no way that perfect balance between all classes will ever be achieved because as soon as you 'fix' one thing you end up breaking something else so just let the players keep all of their spells and abilities intact and to hell with trying to make it 'fair'. If players discover that some classes are better at PvP than others, then they will gravitate towards those classes and that is what will end up making it 'fair'.

Torrinn
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I meant the only reason I would play would be if it had velious and blue was still on kunark. I honestly don't know if velious will ever release, so I doubt that is possible.

I played a few levels on red for a while and it was decent, but low population and EQ being a grouping game almost destroys it.

You should be glad there are times you can go on and level up in peace without worrying about being ganked every 5 seconds.

Slave
05-23-2012, 08:29 AM
As I recall on Sullon, that was what you had so what's the big deal? The Good and Neutral teams still managed to survive against evil which were almost all necro/sk.

Heh the Evil team dominated SZ from the start to the end. It was pretty much a shocking massacre the likes of which resonate 12 years later to where it is now a tenet of PvP servers that you must balance the teams.

rugerx
05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Would you visit an asylum for a picnic? That sums it up.

=)

Torrinn
05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Heh the Evil team dominated SZ from the start to the end. It was pretty much a shocking massacre the likes of which resonate 12 years later to where it is now a tenet of PvP servers that you must balance the teams.

I remember my best moment ever on SZ. One of the guys in my group had an evil wizzy on a second account and we were getting ganked hard by evil so he logged into his evil account, grouped up with the guys who were ganking us, and teleported them from Netherbian Lair to Iceclad so we could pass through unharmed. My friend said his only regret was that he didn't have a Hate stone on him at the time or he would have dropped them off there. That would have been a nasty corpse run. The leader of the group that was ganking us PM'd me congratulating me on using a member of team evil to get back at them. He said it was one of the funniest things he'd ever heard of happening on a PvP server in a long time.:D

Lagaidh
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I remember my only PvP server experience in EQ. I can't recall which was the FFA server (SZ?), but that is the one I tried. I rolled my customary DWF PAL. I dropped into the world in the customary spawn point in Butcherblock. There were two level 2 dwarves just waiting there.

They bent me over, dwarf raped me and corpse camped the spot for my next spawn. After I crashed out of EQ I thought "So that's PvP?" and have never played on a PvP server in any game ever again.

I did play WoW for a few years and that wintery zone in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion was very, very well executed PvP in my opinion. I think it was Winterspring... kind of like an arena in EQ. You step into it and you are flagged PvP. There were scripted battles between the two "sides" determined by your race. WoW made PvP engaging and accessible. I never willingly engaged in PvP after my anecdote until then.

Of course... WoW made everything MMO-related easier and accessible, so it's quite possible the PvP sucked donkey balls. I could only compare it to being raped upon newbie spawn in EQ, so it seemed better.

Atmas
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
PVP was meant to be a tool in EQ to settle disputes over camps or loot, however on red99 people use to grief. I played from 1 to 43 on release, and quickly realized it was just a bad place to be. People racing to 50 so they can shit on people 42+ wasn’t what I imagined eq pvp to be about. Also with such a small population when you have 25 people who are complete asshats, that’s half your population, which means no consequence for acting like complete idiots.

Pretty much my thoughts on the server.

I played nearly my whole live career on TZ and loved it. We PvPed for fun and for rights to spawns. On Red99 however, it seems like theer are just a ton of people who want to grief everyone else off the server. I'm not sure where the appeal comes for attacking a naked person on a CR.

The ruleset is also not very appealing and just seems to promote griefing.

Destan
05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Pretty much my thoughts on the server.

I played nearly my whole live career on TZ and loved it. We PvPed for fun and for rights to spawns. On Red99 however, it seems like theer are just a ton of people who want to grief everyone else off the server. I'm not sure where the appeal comes for attacking a naked person on a CR.

The ruleset is also not very appealing and just seems to promote griefing.

Inb4 someone from red comes in and claims you're silly bluebie who can't PvP because EQ is too hard.

Oh, and I agree with you. Red99 and EverQuest PvP at it's finest are two very different things.

Wolfgang
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
ill agree, the lack of hard coded teams really sucks but red99 is all we got atm. the server can be a harsh place for new players who dont actively seek a guild/friends. however once you start rollin with a crew or have a guild to back you up its not so bad.

tldr make friends, join guild, dont take pvp personal

Torrinn
05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
We used to abuse the level limitation hard. My guild on Sullon was FoH and we always made sure we had clerics that were well below the level of our main force on hand so that they couldn't be attacked unless the other guys brought a bunch of lowbies with them, too. It sucks to be fighting someone and they have a cleric out of PvP range casting complete heals and you can't do anything about it.

Torrinn
05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
One thing that would have balanced the teams on Sullon would have been to give the 'light' races good and neutral deities that approved of the use of necromancy. Then you could have Erudite, Human, and Gnome necros/sk's on the good and neutral teams. Maybe something like that could be added to red 99.

Wolfgang
05-23-2012, 01:19 PM
One thing that would have balanced the teams on Sullon would have been to give the 'light' races good and neutral deities that approved of the use of necromancy. Then you could have Erudite, Human, and Gnome necros/sk's on the good and neutral teams. Maybe something like that could be added to red 99.

why the hell would sks be on the good team lol. defeats the purpose of deity based teams. SZ had it right, 3 factions needed for balance. The problem is most pvpers wanna play an evil race like iksar or dark elf. all good though still the best pvp server imo. also having no level range kept that OOR healer problem out.

LizardNecro
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM

I think that's a great idea.

Also, my point in making the teams "fair" was for raiding. Necros were a big raid advantage because of summon corpse. Evil team had a big advantage because of that, although the pvp aspect was an issue too.

Just as having "good" necros and sk's, there could be "evil" druids (human agnostic maybe?) and "evil" paladins.

Brimacombe
05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Well, since the population on SZ was overwhelmingly evil, it made many players take the path of least resistance. Any dead fish can go with the current. Being good on SZ was about as rough as it gets, most good team had an iron will and a sense of grim determination. Many others copped out and switched teams. Either way, it was a good time and certainly made me learn how to PVP quickly.
That being said, I like the idea of a no-teams PVP server. It would be more realistic. I say I like the idea because I admit I have not experienced it. I am sure there would be social reject bottom feeders, but possibly self policing would keep that down.

The problem with PVP servers is you are always going to find those people who kick dogs for enjoyment and pull the wings off flies. These people are the ones who generally prey on people new to the server because they are bullies at heart. Dust yourself off, get up and get back to what you were doing. Although this will always happen to some degree, such people quickly find themselves shunned and eventually wander off the game to go spit in old ladies faces and giggle with their friends about it. The rest are generally solid human beings.

It is a red server, it's EQ with the safety off. A thin skin and a tendency to be a sore loser will send you back to blue in minutes. This is not because red servers are all jerks, but because some people are not accustomed to getting back on a horse they fall off of.

-Brimacombe

mwatt
05-23-2012, 02:31 PM
If Red99 were the last game on Earth, I still wouldn't play. I dislike PVP in general and find it completely antithematic and abhorrent in EQ.

Seaweedpimp
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
If Red99 were the last game on Earth, I still wouldn't play. I dislike PVP in general and find it completely antithematic and abhorrent in EQ.

This made me lol.

Are you scared of humingbirds and think chocolate is the devils food?

formallydickman
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
This made me lol.

But it is the devil's food..
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1106/985664757_e4e1a6a864_o.jpg
cake.

mwatt
05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
This made me lol.

Your own reponse makes ME lol. It is illogical and emotionally stunted. What a shock coming from a PVP lover.

Weekapaug
05-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Your own reponse makes ME lol. It is illogical and emotionally stunted. What a shock coming from a PVP lover.

Yes, playing against people rather than AI is illogical and emotionally stunted. Some of us happen to have been gaming since before AI was any good, skippy, and actually prefer the challenge of that because, back in the day, that's all we had. Not to mention, it can be looked at as extreme roleplaying. I'm largely a blue player personally, but do enjoy pvp...It's an entirely legitimate way to play EQ.

Asshattery goes on in PvP, but to suggest that it only happens there and doesn't in PvE like people do is completely absurd. Making generalizations about groups of people based on personal baises is the very definition of illogical and emotionally stunted.

ArumTP
05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Racial teams maybe. So maybe 2/3 of the server is trying to grief me, rather than everyone is trying to grief me

Lazortag
05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, playing against people rather than AI is illogical and emotionally stunted. Some of us happen to have been gaming since before AI was any good, skippy, and actually prefer the challenge of that because, back in the day, that's all we had. Not to mention, it can be looked at as extreme roleplaying. I'm largely a blue player personally, but do enjoy pvp...It's an entirely legitimate way to play EQ.

Asshattery goes on in PvP, but to suggest that it only happens there and doesn't in PvE like people do is completely absurd. Making generalizations about groups of people based on personal baises is the very definition of illogical and emotionally stunted.

It happens on the blue server, but there's less of it. Note that I'm only comparing blue99/red99, not live pvp servers to live pve servers. I play on both servers and I can unbiasedly say that the red community is far less understanding, far more ungrateful and entitled, and far less capable of expressing a coherent rational thought, than the blue community. It's not just that there are more griefers on red (I think most people on blue99 would grief too if it were legal), but that the community is mostly a cesspool of illiterate, narcissistic bigots who complain incessantly about everything.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I love eq pvp, I think it livens up the game and gives every class a purpose. But the community is mostly players from previous boxes who are used to walking all over GM's/developers and trolling them into changing things for their benefit. They aren't interested in having a fun pvp server for the long term, they only want to whine and cheat and claim victory when they grief people off the server, and claim bias/favoritism when they get banned for their douchebag behavior.

deneauth
05-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I am going to make a shaman on Red tonight. Barbarian shaman, going to recreate my Live character, I am bored of Blue for the time being, I logged on my warrior and logged off after 30 minutes, maybe a change up is what I need. I will be on in an hour and a half after I get out of work. Look for Couthor. :-)

Edit: for the classic lulz I leave you with this gentlemen.

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2000/gu_20001224.jpg

HarrisonIsStillPosting
05-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Bump for bringing legitimacy back to P99/R99

Weekapaug
05-24-2012, 01:52 AM
I am going to make a shaman on Red tonight. Barbarian shaman, going to recreate my Live character, I am bored of Blue for the time being, I logged on my warrior and logged off after 30 minutes, maybe a change up is what I need. I will be on in an hour and a half after I get out of work. Look for Couthor. :-)

Edit: for the classic lulz I leave you with this gentlemen.

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2000/gu_20001224.jpg

I'm working on a pally, currently level 9. Moved to the qeynos area and a buddy has a ranger he's catching up. Im going to be scarce for a couple days but give a shout to Dunethal if you see me on and want to group up.

deneauth
05-24-2012, 01:58 AM
With the exp bonus I be I can get lvl 9 for some sow action, looking forward to it now I am getting all pumped about it. :-) Clocking out in 2 minutes haha.

Lagaidh
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Any dead fish can go with the current.

I can't believe I'm almost 35 and have never heard or read this phrase before now.

I love it!