PDA

View Full Version : question for the true oldschoolers

funhorroryes
05-27-2012, 01:14 PM
i remember way way back in 1999/2000 that there where always these 'get quick plat' guides selling on ebay.. sometimes for $100.. it included a guide that was a 'quick get rich quick' glitch or nerf in the game..

i saw them everywhere and saw lots of different people selling different guides

i'd like to see it.. if it exists and wasn't a scam that is..

does anyone remember any kunark/prekunark era plat making schemes or know the original one they where selling?

Slycen
05-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Farm giants?

funhorroryes
05-27-2012, 01:34 PM
im talking tradeskill things or buy/sell get rich tricks that made you make a stupuid amount of platinum as oposed to properly farming giants like the game intended you to

shooteneq1
05-27-2012, 02:12 PM
i remember a guide that was right as velious came out. All you need was a little bit of plat and to lvl and enchanter to 4. then you ran to thurg and did jewelcrafting. I cant remember what it was but there was a ring you could make that sold back to vendors for alot more than it cost to make. I did it with my main for the hell of it and you could make around 1k an hour. I guess worth it to some but it was very very boring. They eventually nerfed the resell price of the ring but it took months before they did.
I remember another guide that basically told you how to do the named cycle in frontier mountains. But basically without a druid doing that cycle would be the suck.

shooteneq1
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
The absolute best way to make plat back then was to sit in EC all day. There really wasnt a wiki or anything back then that gave you the rough value of items. So you sat in EC and sold stuff and you would ask alot more for it than it was worth and when people yelled out for price checks you would have your friends all give the price you were selling it for. Underhanded but it was alot easier than farming by traditional means.

Kevlar
05-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Kunark giants were awesome on live. A lot of drops were 50-80pp not to mention a couple earrings here and there. Drops seem to be severly nerfed on p1999 though. On live high lvl peeps are always farming FM fort or DL fort. Never saw anyone do it here and even when I could quad them fairly easily the loot drops were terrible. They have too many hp to do them just for xp.

gnomishfirework
05-27-2012, 03:10 PM
these guides were usually outdated. they either widely exaggerated what you could get, or they relied on bugs that were quickly patched.

gnomishfirework
05-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Kunark giants were awesome on live. A lot of drops were 50-80pp not to mention a couple earrings here and there. Drops seem to be severly nerfed on p1999 though. On live high lvl peeps are always farming FM fort or DL fort. Never saw anyone do it here and even when I could quad them fairly easily the loot drops were terrible. They have too many hp to do them just for xp.

You can't trust your memory. You don't remember all the time you spent getting no drops. You remember novel experiences, like getting good loot.

batkiller
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
They were always pretty crappy, and always quickly patched as the above poster said.

The only I can remember was when newbie characters started with a sword and some cloth crap or whatever, and these were sellable for a few silver or something. So as a brand new player, if you just made a ton of new characters or something, and sold their stuff and handed the coin to a buddy, you could start the game with 10pp or whatever.

But as tempting as it was, I knew these guides would be a waste of time. I doubt they ever could have made you THAT much money, and even if they could I wouldn't have wanted them. Back in the 80's and 90's when I used to play fun old school games that were super hard, you used to be able to enter cheat codes. The few times I tried that, ended up killing all enjoyment in the game about half an hour later, and I could never gain the fun back.

HarrisonIsStillPosting
05-27-2012, 05:14 PM
If you get seafuries to yourself it is still faster than nearly any camp out there, and more reliable.

Ravager
05-27-2012, 07:42 PM
A friend of mine and I duoed sea furies like a month ago, we weren't there that long, maybe an hour and we made 1500 to split between the two of us. We were only messing around, trying it out, but a person who can solo those at a good clip could easily bank 1k per hour. The trick is getting there when there isn't a dozen other people there trying to do the same thing.

Otherwise, on my druid a year ago when I was farming plat, I did the hero bracers quest a bunch and was making around 1k an hour. With prices and pop the way it is now, that's probably not realistic any more though. As soon as pop comes back up, it may be something worth doing.

ArumTP
05-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Pottery at one time making certain items, bowls maybe?, would sell more to vendors than cost to make. That loop eventually got closed up on live.

Grumble
05-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I still have a making plat smithing guide I downloaded years ago. One of the tricks was it had which worked when I downloaded it was you could make and sell sheet metal back to the vendors for more than it cost to make it if you made it from small bricks etc.

However, even on this server that trick doesn't work.

Slave
05-27-2012, 11:56 PM
If you get seafuries to yourself it is still faster than nearly any camp out there, and more reliable.

Ever since the corrupted took over the island with bad code (when did you ever see more than one corrupted in Live?), and the bard mob that spams an instant mana drain (also a bug), seafury island has been producing much less platinum, one of the reasons on the short list of why platinum is skyrocketing in value.

Many more traditional one-item camps are now more lucrative and a lot less effort for a lot less danger.

Brimacombe
05-28-2012, 12:40 AM
If there was a way to make super plat easily, either:

1) No one is going to say and give away the keys to the crapper

or

2) Everyone would be doing it, mudflating the server back to the previous economy's balance with a few more zeros after the price, and it would be overcamped anyway by American plat farmers.

-Brimacombe

Slave
05-28-2012, 12:48 AM
American plat farmers.

One of the signs foretold heralding the economic apocalypse.

batkiller
05-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Lol

Zuranthium
06-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I recall Batwing Crunchies, an easy thing to make with only a low level in the baking tradeskill, selling back to vendors for far more than they cost to make.