PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to play

Roth
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I am having a difficult time figuring out what to play to enjoy the game. I rolled an iksar necromancer mainly because I've spent a lot of time on kunark when I played previously and also I love the concept of one. I rolled one previously(post pok) but I never got it to an extremely high level and for a lot of personal reasons I really WANT to play an iksar necro and be successful. The problem: I don't really like playing it. I don't like the faction problems, the isolation, or even the 75% pet exp penalty(among other penalties). I don't like the concept of kiting or dots, or any of these things. I really like the concept of what an iksar necromancer is, but actually making it work is a lot of frustration and effort, and I'm not sure if I want to solo my way through kunark forever.

Here's basically what I'm thinking otherwise... I've played a high elf mage before previously, or a dark elf mage. Mages fit my playstyle much more. They're straightforward, your pet can tank better, they're more relient on nukes, they're just overall more straightforward and less complicated. It's also nice I think that I'd be able to use more cities. The problem: Blandness. If I roll say a high elf mage, I don't know if I'd really feel attachment to my character. It might be a lot easier but I feel somehow it wouldn't be right. I just don't like the concept of a mage as much and I feel like I've overplayed one at this point.

I guess it really comes down to is it worth giving up a concept for functionality? I want to be an iksar necro, but is it actually worth the trouble? Would I be better off "selling out" and rolling an easier class/race combination? As a final note, I'm not extremely experienced with the game, but I know enough to be able to function with either choice. I'm not an amazing vet though or anything. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Slycen
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Play a Monk, get some melee in your life that also has a solo factor.

Maze
05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Iksar necro is extremely low difficulty, stick with it.

There is quite a few guides out there for necros, also Iksar are just plain cool.

webrunner5
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I pretty much gave up playing my Mage. With the pet nerf and no crowd control a mage on here now is really not worth the effort solo anymore. Just too much down time.

But I have been welcomed a lot lately in groups which does negate the XP penality. So I have been playing my Iskar Necro more now. But like you I find a Necro really
repetitive also. But there is no really easy class on here. So pick what you want to play.

Good Mage guide here for areas to level. http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53963

Slave
05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
It is a 50% pet exp penalty and only if your pet outdamages you, something that is much easier to remedy with a necro than a mage. Remember that an Iksar alone has a 20% penalty, something that will come into play when you try to group: people will be much more leery of you as an Iksar, and necromancers are not exactly the go-to group fillers that everyone looks for.

Enchanters now... they are powerful, and fragile, and have a feel to them all their own. You can be evil and still illusion up to go anywhere. It is harder to find a CC/Slow slot for your group at the highest levels than any other job. You will be highly sought after for exping, and you can still solo with the best of them, in a very exciting and skill-based fashion.

Roth
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
It is a 50% pet exp penalty and only if your pet outdamages you, something that is much easier to remedy with a necro than a mage. Remember that an Iksar alone has a 20% penalty, something that will come into play when you try to group: people will be much more leery of you as an Iksar, and necromancers are not exactly the go-to group fillers that everyone looks for.

Enchanters now... they are powerful, and fragile, and have a feel to them all their own. You can be evil and still illusion up to go anywhere. It is harder to find a CC/Slow slot for your group at the highest levels than any other job. You will be highly sought after for exping, and you can still solo with the best of them, in a very exciting and skill-based fashion.

So what you're saying is I'm likely to be turned away as an iksar necro for groups, or is that not really an issue? I do like to solo, but I also want the possibility to be useful in groups. I don't know if enchanters are my thing though... how are druids and shamans? And is it a bad idea to roll iksar anything due to exp? Like if I rolled an iksar shaman, would it be frequent that people would take a non iksar shaman over me?

Slycen
05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Roth
05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I really have no interest in an enchanter though... I really only have interest in a healer type hybridish class or a dps caster.

Slave
05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
So what you're saying is I'm likely to be turned away as an iksar necro for groups, or is that not really an issue? I do like to solo, but I also want the possibility to be useful in groups. I don't know if enchanters are my thing though... how are druids and shamans? And is it a bad idea to roll iksar anything due to exp? Like if I rolled an iksar shaman, would it be frequent that people would take a non iksar shaman over me?

It will take you 20% longer to level than any other necromancer, and you take 20% more experience for your cut in a group at any level... people recognize that, even if it's subliminal; it's not a dealbreaker but it is something to consider here where people are much more knowledgeable about the mechanics. You're not 20% more powerful per level. And necromancers do not fulfill any one role in a group super nicely, which is what people generally look for in a group member.

That said, Iksars are probably the weakest shaman race in the game. They are definitely third rate. Ogres, Trolls, and Barbarians all have their own unique advantages. Iksar don't really compare without Jaundiced Bone gear or stun immunity, and Ogres have both, with less of an exp penalty.

Roth
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM
It will take you 20% longer to level than any other necromancer, and you take 20% more experience for your cut in a group at any level... people recognize that, even if it's subliminal; it's not a dealbreaker but it is something to consider here where people are much more knowledgeable about the mechanics. You're not 20% more powerful per level. And necromancers do not fulfill any one role in a group super nicely, which is what people generally look for in a group member.

That said, Iksars are probably the weakest shaman race in the game. They are definitely third rate. Ogres, Trolls, and Barbarians all have their own unique advantages. Iksar don't really compare without Jaundiced Bone gear or stun immunity, and Ogres have both, with less of an exp penalty.

Somehow, this post is a bit discouraging. There are a lot of things from true eq I could maybe have done without...

nothsa
05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Shaman sounds like the choice. or bard .

Deckard
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Just started my first toon a couple of days ago. I made a Human Paladin because I like their look and style and they were fun to play on Zek. I do worry about getting groups later though. Not just because I am untwinked but because of my hybrid penalty. I remember it being a problem on live but people were a little more xp hungry than I hope you guys are. I've talked to 2 in-game paladins and it hasn't been an issue for either of them but just wanted a few more opinions. I definitely want to play a tank so please dont say roll a caster. Anyways yah so what are your thoughts on an untwinked paladin trying to get groups. Would I be better off just rolling a Warrior or I'll be fine?

Slave
05-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Paladins are very strong tanks, able to snap aggro far better than any warrior. They are the 2nd best exp group tank behind Shadowknights, but everyone and their grandmother is a Shadowknight. Paladins can gear up quickly and cheaply thanks to the fact that they're likely the rarest class in the game.

They cannot be large races nor Iksar so their experience penalty is never compounded, but they do not gain the physical prowess that such races bring. Tanks in general are generally in short supply so you won't have terrible difficulty finding groups even in your later years, but rather in the middle because the server is top- and bottom-heavy at the moment.

Vermicelli
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM

These are truths, but they will not make you less appealing to Bregan D'Aerth or otherwise most pick-up groups I have been in =)

webrunner5
05-31-2012, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't worry about the hybrid penality for getting groups. Like Slave said there are very few Tanks around. I have never turned down anyone for a group based on their gear or race or hell even class on here. Like I have said before I don't think I would want 5 Iksar SK's in a group lol but it would be better than no group.

Its not like there is 50 people you can pick from. Like almost everyone of these threads end up is play what class and race you want to play. Playing a class just because you think it will be eaiser to group, or even solo sucks when you figure how much time you are going to spend on that toon to even get it to level 30 let alone 60.

No class on here is just hands down great to play or if that was the case everyone here would be playing it. Druids are the #1 class, probably Shaman #2. God knows we don't need a lot more of them but they are popular for a reason. Play what YOU want. Simple as that.

But I can tell you the hybid thingy can be a bitch at times. I was in Befallen once on my Halfling Cleric in a group of 6. I was like level 10 at the time the tank was a SK Troll level 15 and couple other hybrids in the group. I was in there for like 4 hours and only got half a level and we killed the hell out of mobs. A lot of them conned red to me. So the Hybrid penality killed me and so did having the level 15 person. I can see why some people are picky. But I had a good time. All that counts.

Bill Tetley
05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Don't bother starting a melee character till whenever they release the next patch. Weaponskill skilling is broke.

Atmas
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I feel like these forums give a false sense of people being overly concerned about penalties on the server. I personally don't care and a lot of people don't care because hybrids generally make the group much more effiicient. Also people grouping generally play the game to be social so they just aren't that concerned about the penalty.

As far as Paladins go, I concur with Slave and others. Paladin's make good tanks for their ability to snap agro and therefore will be sought out for groups. Agro management is particulary a necessity at this point with so many twinks walking around.

Oh, and to the OP I have had some necros in xp groups. I can't recall ever being in a group that wanted to turn someone away for being a necro. Realisticly though if there is one spot left and tank/healer is filled people will generally pick something like a rogue.

Brimacombe
05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
I have found the best character on any server is Druid. They are easy to solo, plentiful, but versatile enough to find groups, ports are excellent money for what you finally decide to play, and they are excellent farmers for when you decide to build the twink character you want.

-Brimacombe

batkiller
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Necro is powerful but it bugs me to see so many Necros and very few of them can play the class to even anywhere near it's full potential. For that reason alone I suggest picking a Shaman or a Druid.

Striiker
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I wanted to weigh in on the XP penalty aspect with respect to grouping. I've only heard someone pass on inviting someone due to XP penalties a couple of times. These folks are few between and not worth worrying over. Most of the players on the server are here to have fun and relive the challenging days of old. Choose a class and race which you enjoy and which will fit your play style. I only ever chose a particular race for stats on live. I chose an Erudite Wizard (and later Enchanter) on the live servers because I got caught up in the high intelligence game. I chose Erudite for my enchanter here because of nostalgia. I chose human for my SK because it's not common and I preferred Qeynos as my home city. Same goes with my other classes. I never cared for Trolls or Ogres as a play character and so I chose differently. I ignored the usual reasons for choosing the large race and I am happy I did. I also didn't want to have to deal with faction in the main cities which I frequent.
As for class.. Well that's a harder question. If you prefer to solo a lot, then the necro was a good choice. You can fix faction in most cities through questing and killing certain mobs and you'll get XP and see different content so that's a plus. If you dislike the life of a necro there are plenty others to choose from. If you learn to play your class well, you should have no problem getting groups or at worst, start your own groups.

Wudan
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
1/
dont worry about exp penalty, nobody really cares /only assholes do/ and you will sure get grp invites. I have not been in single grp that would turn someone down because of their penalty, class or race.

2/

That said, Iksars are probably the weakest shaman race in the game. They are definitely third rate. Ogres, Trolls, and Barbarians all have their own unique advantages. Iksar don't really compare without Jaundiced Bone gear or stun immunity, and Ogres have both, with less of an exp penalty

dont worry about what he said, its pure BS. If you like Iksars, play one no worries. Iksars get regen and ac boost. Plate armor will come with Velious so no trouble there. They look much better then other shaman races, I mean who wants to play big fat ugly ogre/troll? Stunn immunity is not all that important for shaman, regen is and Iksars are no.1 there! They also get the best starting area in game which is really helpfull.

phobus
05-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh, and to the OP I have had some necros in xp groups. I can't recall ever being in a group that wanted to turn someone away for being a necro. Realisticly though if there is one spot left and tank/healer is filled people will generally pick something like a rogue.

Rogue is not a bad choice to fill the last spot (and unfortunately, that is sometimes the only way rogues get groups :() but sometimes a Necro is a better pick. You get extra CC, heals, and mana dumps to the Cleric when things get hairy, in addition to the DPS from the pet and dots.

If you're bored with your Necromancer, group more (okay, I know this can be difficult given the low population as of late). Learn to use all your abilities in that situation, and you'll probably find that it's much less boring than fear-kiting by yourself.

phobus
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
And, on the Iksar Shaman thing: I play an Ogre because I tend to solo a lot. If you're grouping, regen is the only racial bonus that really helps you out so I'd say Troll and Iksar are pretty evenly matched there. Jaundiced Bone Gear really doesn't matter in a group. I might click the bracer now and then in between cannibalizing, but honestly it doesn't make much of a difference.

Slave
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
1/
dont worry about exp penalty, nobody really cares /only assholes do/ and you will sure get grp invites. I have not been in single grp that would turn someone down because of their penalty, class or race.

A lot of people care. It's 40 PERCENT. It's not four percent. It's not seven percent. It's 40. It's so much that I have to use numerals according to MLA style format.

2/
dont worry about what he said, its pure BS. If you like Iksars, play one no worries. Iksars get regen and ac boost. Plate armor will come with Velious so no trouble there. They look much better then other shaman races, I mean who wants to play big fat ugly ogre/troll? Stunn immunity is not all that important for shaman, regen is and Iksars are no.1 there! They also get the best starting area in game which is really helpfull.

Iksars get inferior armor and abilities for the largest exp penalty. Stun immunity is the best ability possible for any caster, let alone shaman which can melee. Iksars are #2 in regen because Trolls have superior statistics, snare necklace, better armor and effects on that armor. JBB will allow you to do things that someone without it could never contemplate.

However, if you want to do nothing but group on this server that certainly does not have groups available at all times and levels, then yes, being an Iksar will not gimp you TOTALLY. But you'll be significantly weaker and it will cost you more of an experience penalty to be so.