PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Frozen Shadow - some questions.

nilbog
06-01-2012, 12:13 AM
While building expansion content, we occasionally have questions. When we do, I'd like to ask for community input. Hopefully it will speed along development by outsourcing some of the research needed and alleviate possible questions once Velious is released.

These are specific to the Tower of Frozen Shadow.

1. In the "mirror room", I see 6 mirrors on the wall. There is an empty spot for a 7th mirror. Should there be a 7th mirror?

http://i46.tinypic.com/ea331w.jpg

2. Classically, were the 6 clickable mirrors ports to each respective floor? Currently on eqlive, they all result in porting you to iceclad ocean.

3. Classically, did possessing a key to a higher floor negate the need for lower level keys? For example, if I had a key for the 4th floor, should it work on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd floor mirrors?

Here is a post from allakhazam discussing some of this, but I cannot verify it.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=24580#m1168316701137895567

Alarti0001
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
While building expansion content, we occasionally have questions. When we do, I'd like to ask for community input. Hopefully it will speed along development by outsourcing some of the research needed and alleviate possible questions once Velious is released.

These are specific to the Tower of Frozen Shadow.

1. In the "mirror room", I see 6 mirrors on the wall. There is an empty spot for a 7th mirror. Should there be a 7th mirror?

http://i46.tinypic.com/ea331w.jpg

2. Classically, were the 6 clickable mirrors ports to each respective floor? Currently on eqlive, they all result in porting you to iceclad ocean.

3. Classically, did possessing a key to a higher floor negate the need for lower level keys? For example, if I had a key for the 4th floor, should it work on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd floor mirrors?

Here is a post from allakhazam discussing some of this, but I cannot verify it.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=24580#m1168316701137895567

Found this write up on zam

Once to the 7th floor, you would fight Tserrina after finding which was her in the back area (past the torch room) where the shrouded bats were. If you allowed her to gate she would gate to the 8th floor beyond the 2nd locked door (the first locked door could be opened with the large metal key dropped from Vhalsera).
Then she would summon you 1 by 1 and kill the raid. Because no one could get past the 2 locked doors unless you had ALREADY had Tserrina key you were pretty much SoL. IF you did kill Tserrina, 1 person looted her key, raid followed the keyholder up the stairs to the 8th floor, opened the 2nd locked door (at which point it becomes soul bound now days) and you would find the "room of mirrors" that took you to any floor or back out again.

3. No all keys were needed! until you got tserrina's key which was the master key

batkiller
06-01-2012, 02:38 AM
1) I am 95% sure there was always a mysterious missing mirror.

sanluen
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
2. I remember the mirrors taking you to each specific floor, but I can't find anything online to add to Alarti's evidence.

3. You definitely needed all keys until you got Tserina's which was a master key.

Arteker
06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
nillbog, tofs was quite changed in live since they put in a massive guild event therein the line of battle or firiona vie.

1st floor: No key required.
2nd floor key: Crystal Key - dropped by a large undead gnoll on the 1st floor
3rd floor key: Three Toothed Key - dropped by an angry librarian on the 2nd floor
4th floor key: Frosty key - dropped by an enraged shadow beast on the 3rd floor
5th floor key: Small rusty key - dropped by Cara Omica on the 4th floor
6th floor key: Bone finger key - dropped by an enraged relative on the 5th floor
7th floor key: Large metal key - dropped by VhalSera on the 6th floor
Master key to all floors: Tserrina's Key - dropped by Tserrina Syl`Tor on the 7th floor
There is no 8th floor.in classic.

the 8 was released for the special event quest than was a serverwide event , actualy inly u can get in 8 for that special event

Upon completion of the Kidnapping of Firiona Vie quest, Galeth Veredeth has taken up residence in Iceclad Ocean (location?).

NPCs that spawned outside the Tower of Frozen Shadow drop items with lore "Freezing to the touch," which can be turned in to Galeth Veredeth for rewards for various levels (which items for which rewards?). Some mobs found outside the tower:

a doomshadow
a deathhound
a snowbone
an ice-encrusted armsman
a shadow terror

Guardian of Frozen Shadow is another mob outside the tower (required to kill in order to zone in?).

Once inside the tower, you'll have to make your way from floor to floor until you reach the seventh floor. You will have to clear the inhabitants of each floor before progressing to the next.

Upon clicking a portal:

You touch the shimmering portal, but nothing happens. Tserrina's followers on this floor must be destroyed and her puzzles deciphered before you can ascend any further.

On each floor you will encounter a boss mob (names of mobs on floors?). Each of them will drop loot. Upon reaching the final floor, you will find Tserrina Syl`Tor along with Firiona Vie. Tserrina must be killed, and proof of her death must be brought to Firiona Vie in order to "free" her.

Tserrina is red to 70 and requires a raid force to take down. She hits for 2400 and casts a single target charm every 15 seconds. She drops a Dark Taint of Syl`tor. Hail Firiona Vie.

Once outside the tower and in Iceclad, give the dark taint to Galeth. In exchange for the Dark Taint, you'll receive an Aegis of the Valiant.

i remember that chain of events wich lead u to get this bad boy stuff , the infamous firiona vie staff
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 1H Blunt Atk Delay: 40
DMG: 37 Dmg Bonus: 23
STA: +5 CHA: +20 WIS: +15 INT: +15
SV DISEASE: +20 SV POISON: +20
Effect: Rejuvenate (Combat, Casting Time: Instant) at Level 50
WT: 1.0 Size: MEDIUM
Class: ALL except BER
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)
Item Lore: The Staff of Tunare's Chosen
Item Type: 1H Blunt
Stackable: No
Lucy Entry By: Daermonn
Updated By: SwiftyMUSE
Source: Live
Updated: Thu Oct 9th, 2008

Alarti0001
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=24580

Full post included info about the 7 mirrors....

Orginally, there was another mirror. Each mirror was SUPPOSE to take you to a certain level. 7 mirrors, first six for each level and the 7th to port you back out to iceclad. I dunno when it happened but now all the mirrors take you out, go figure. As for the "mysterious" 8th floor....That is the floor the mirrors are on. From the 7th floor, take the spiral stairs up to the 8th floor.

Orginally it went this way.
Once to the 7th floor, you would fight Tserrina after finding which was her in the back area (past the torch room) where the shrouded bats were. If you allowed her to gate she would gate to the 8th floor beyond the 2nd locked door (the first locked door could be opened with the large metal key dropped from Vhalsera).
Then she would summon you 1 by 1 and kill the raid. Because no one could get past the 2 locked doors unless you had ALREADY had Tserrina key you were pretty much SoL. IF you did kill Tserrina, 1 person looted her key, raid followed the keyholder up the stairs to the 8th floor, opened the 2nd locked door (at which point it becomes soul bound now days) and you would find the "room of mirrors" that took you to any floor or back out again.

This must have seemed too hard and it got NERFED. Now you only need the large metal key to get to the room of mirrors. Tserria key only allows you to go to the room of mirrors from level 1 and has no other use. You can also use the level 1 mirror on the left to make it soulbound to you now days. As for the 7th mirror that disappeared, that was the one mirror that was SUPPOSE to take you back to iceclad.

Arteker
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
so to sum it all, the mirrors in live where 7 all port you down to different lvl less one.

This last one was locked not working and elad for years to the theory of 8 floor key quest wich was used for the event i posted before and later disabled.

it was around 2005 or 2006 so alarti post dude is aswell puzled by the changes in the zone .

remember 7 floor so damm well because before chardok r evamp i spend several weeks camping tess for the snare whip wich was insane rare. but very nice for a paladin

Alarti0001
06-01-2012, 05:05 PM
so to sum it all, the mirrors in live where 7 all port you down to different lvl less one.

This last one was locked not working and elad for years to the theory of 8 floor key quest wich was used for the event i posted before and later disabled.

it was around 2005 or 2006 so alarti post dude is aswell puzled by the changes in the zone .

remember 7 floor so damm well because before chardok r evamp i spend several weeks camping tess for the snare whip wich was insane rare. but very nice for a paladin

I lived in tofs even when 60. The poster prob used inaccurate terminology there was def 7 mirror with one porting youto iceclad. By floor he prob means the room up a half flight of stairs which I wouldn't count as a separate floor as you didn't need a kep to 'port' into it

Brimacombe
06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Mmmm, Velious! :)

-Brimacombe

Tarathiel
06-02-2012, 10:24 PM
omg omg omg

nilbog
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
So Tserrina's master key should work for any mirror in the zone? (Including the non-7th floor mirrors?). i.e. Can I zone in, go to right portal, click it with Tserrina's Key and be on floor 2?

In the mirror room on floor 7, must you click the mirrors with keys to be transported to the respective level? Or are no keys required? Should the individual keys be required to click 7th floor mirrors/does Tserrina's key work for these?

Here's an example of a possible script for the doors. Since the click is to move players within the keyholders group, I'm using perl. Script borrowed heavily from Shin Noir on eqemulator.

sub EVENT_CLICKDOOR {
if ($client->IsGrouped()) {
my $destx = 0;
my $desty = 0;
my $destz = 0;
my $d_id = ($doorid % 256);
if ($d_id == 2) { #First Floor Door
if ($oncursor(20033)) {
$destx = 660;
$desty = 100;
$destz = 40;
}
}
if ($d_id == 4) { #Second Floor Door
if ($oncursor(20034)) {
$destx = 670;
$desty = 750;
$destz = 75;
}
}
if ($d_id == 16) { #Third Floor Door
if ($oncursor(20035)) {
$destx = 170;
$desty = 755;
$destz = 175;
$desth = 0;
}
}
if ($d_id == 27) { #Fourth Floor Door
if ($oncursor(20036)) {
$destx = -150;
$desty = 160;
$destz = 217;
}
}
if ($d_id == 34) { #Fifth Floor Door
if ($oncursor(20037)) {
$destx = -320;
$desty = 725;
$destz = 12;
}
}
if ($d_id == 157) { #6b Gem
if ($oncursor(20038)) {
$destx = 20;
$desty = 250;
$destz = 355;
}
}
if ($d_id == 1) { #Left portal on 1st level to 7th
if ($oncursor(20039)) { #tserrina master key
$destx = 20;
$desty = 250;
$destz = 355;
}
}
if ($destx != 0) {
my $tmpclient = 0;
for ($i = 0; $i < 2000; $i++) {
$tmpclient = $entity_list->GetClientByID($i);
if (defined($tmpclient)) {
if ($tmpclient->GetGroup()->IsGroupMember($client) #Grouped with key holder?
&& $tmpclient->CalculateDistance($client->GetX(), $client->GetY(), $client->GetZ()) < 40) {
$tmpclient->CastToClient()->MovePC(111, $destx, $desty, $destz, 0);
}
}
undef($tmpclient);
}
}
}
}If that gives you an idea, I need to be as specific as possible.

Muergan
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes master key will let you use all the mirrors like they normally would work but also bring you to top floor if you click the left one on first floor. Also remember being able to zone up group members if they were with you by mirror. At least the normal mirrors the direct to top might have been key holder only.

Alarti0001
06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Yes master key will let you use all the mirrors like they normally would work but also bring you to top floor if you click the left one on first floor. Also remember being able to zone up group members if they were with you by mirror. At least the normal mirrors the direct to top might have been key holder only.

This is 100% accurate however clicking the left mirror on floor one with master key would port your group to the top also (confirmed)

fadetree
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
omg get rid of those hardcoded literals!

nilbog
06-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Still curious about the mirrors on floor 7.

All I know about this "eighth floor" is that Tserrina drops magical lore items, that can unlock the secrets of the floor(as far as the eq manual said - why'd I read that thing? No one reads manuals! Well hey, I was bored!) and the key she drops does NOT take you to the eighth floor, but the Room of Mirrors, which will take you to any floor in the Tower of Frozen Shadow. One mirror in the room, however, does nothing.
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.html?id=5604
The 8th level and locked level is as far as I been able to find out a myth and nothing else. All mirrors simply take you out (though I recall someone claiming early SoV that they took you to different levels in ToFS).
http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14207

Up the spiral stair case is a locked door. You need Valsherra's key to open it. This leads to a room with a bunch of mirrors. Click to zone out.

Conflicting information from the same article:

One room has 7 mirrors and that is the room the master key will bring you to. And each mirror leads to the different floors.
http://www.antonica.org/forums/messages.php?topicid=17&toffset=0&moffset=0&days=0&PHPSESSID=b753b7972eb610d3e82481f506b5af9b
When you first port up to this zone, you will be in a room surrounded by mirrors. One of these mirrors is locked, clicking on any other mirror will port you outside.
http://www.angelfire.com/freak/eqjonze/guides/velious/tofs/tofs.htm
A spiral stair reaches up to the mirror room, using the key from the djinn to open the door. All the mirrors but one go outside, and nobody is sure what the last one goes to. Some speculations include an 8th floor or a plane that isn't open yet.
http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?3472-Tips-on-the-Tower-of-Frozen-Shadow-By-Grimstaff-of-Cazic1/15/2002
Up the stairs and around the hallway leads you to a room with a locked door in the back-pick the lock or use the key from Vhal`Sera to open it-this leads to the mirror room, with the enigmatic locked mirror and 6 other mirrors that lead you back outside.
http://www.angelfire.com/freak/eqjonze/guides/velious/tofs/tofsdiscussion.htm

Seems the oldest information I can find supports the room of mirrors not taking you floor to floor.

Nirgon
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
It smells like community in here, I like it.

Best of lucks on the Velious box Nilb.

Schnuller
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM
http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3884.html

according to the post from Scirocco "07-02-2001, 10:53 AM" the room had 6 mirrors.

hope this helps.

Slothbynature Lazybutt

doraf
06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
omg get rid of those hardcoded literals!

Why?

fadetree
06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, I was actually just teasing, but if you are seriously asking, its bad programming style. If you ever need to change the way something is defined that you've hardcoded, (in this case its an item id), you'll have to go hunt through all the source for occurrences and make sure you get them all. If they are centrally defined somewhere you can just change that one spot.

$oncursor(20039)

becomes something like

$oncursor(LEFT_PORTAL_KEY)

Makes it easier to read as well. You'd have the constant LEFT_PORTAL_KEY defined as being equal to 20039 in some constants file that all of the code imports from.

Now, I don't know if in the specific case of EQ EMU scripting it is important or not ( ie., there is NO chance the ID numbers would ever change and you have them all memorized ), but it's still considered generally bad coding practice.

Danyelle
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, I was actually just teasing, but if you are seriously asking, its bad programming style. If you ever need to change the way something is defined that you've hardcoded, (in this case its an item id), you'll have to go hunt through all the source for occurrences and make sure you get them all. If they are centrally defined somewhere you can just change that one spot.

$oncursor(20039)

becomes something like

$oncursor(LEFT_PORTAL_KEY)

Makes it easier to read as well. You'd have the constant LEFT_PORTAL_KEY defined as being equal to 20039 in some constants file that all of the code imports from.

Now, I don't know if in the specific case of EQ EMU scripting it is important or not ( ie., there is NO chance the ID numbers would ever change and you have them all memorized ), but it's still considered generally bad coding practice.

What he posted is the player.pl perl script for TOFS. The items are only defined there. Not in the server code or other quest files. So doing that would actually be far more complicated in this case. Generally you're right, though in this case it's easier as he has it.

Muergan
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I seem. To remember them porting you back outside, and only because I recall fighting to the top and two group members click wrong mirror and getting the boot to iceclad effectively ruining our attempt on tserrina.

doraf
06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
What he posted is the player.pl perl script for TOFS. The items are only defined there. Not in the server code or other quest files. So doing that would actually be far more complicated in this case. Generally you're right, though in this case it's easier as he has it.

Thanks Danyelle. This is why I asked.

I wasn't trying to bust fadetree's balls or anything, just curious. :)

Nirgon
06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Release Velious. Easy one.

Didn't read anything else in here.

maximum
05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
I found this guide to ToFS, and it appears Classic Era. It lists the keyholders and mirrors.

http://eqrez.com/stormhaven/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22

"...[Tserrina] will drop a golden key that is the master key to the dungeon! Which will allow you to teleport straight to the top using the mirror on the left at the very beginning of the zone (instead of the one on the right that takes you to the library)"

Rooj
05-20-2013, 07:20 PM
I never really got to explore TOFS. Can't wait :D

Aeolwind
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
I found this guide to ToFS, and it appears Classic Era. It lists the keyholders and mirrors.

http://eqrez.com/stormhaven/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22

"...[Tserrina] will drop a golden key that is the master key to the dungeon! Which will allow you to teleport straight to the top using the mirror on the left at the very beginning of the zone (instead of the one on the right that takes you to the library)"

This is from the Storm Haven EQEmu server. And as such, is suspect.

Kika Maslyaka
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Technically there ARE 8 floors, but they are 6A and 6B which do not require a key to go between them. But if one would add a key to the mirror on 6A - you would effectively have 8 floors and a function for the 8th mirror.
Perhaps that was the original Verant design, but then they decided that 6s were too small and grouped them into a single floor.

Ménage à trois
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
So Tserrina's master key should work for any mirror in the zone? (Including the non-7th floor mirrors?). i.e. Can I zone in, go to right portal, click it with Tserrina's Key and be on floor 2?

This is correct. Tserinna's key would work in place of all the other keys for each floors respective mirror. You could use Tserinna's key on floor 1 (right mirror) to go to floor 2, from floor 2 to floor 3, and so on...

In the mirror room on floor 7, must you click the mirrors with keys to be transported to the respective level? Or are no keys required? Should the individual keys be required to click 7th floor mirrors/does Tserrina's key work for these?

All of the mirrors (no matter what key you were holding) would transport you to Iceclad Ocean. There was no hopping to whatever floor you wished even if you had the correct keys. I tried combinations of holding each key and clicking each mirror - every time I was transported to Iceclad ocean. So it seems the information you found about these mirrors not transporting you to each level is correct. Tserinna's key has the same effect on each mirror.

I'm trying to get old source information to back this up and will post it here as soon as I've found it.

Oh btw - you could always identify which shrouded bat on floor 7 would spawn Tserinna because bats that spawned Tserinna saw invis

nilbog
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
All of this is working as intended.

Additionally, the bat which spawns tserrina is light blue to a level 51. The rest will be dark blue.

Droog007
05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
All of this is working as intended.

Additionally, the bat which spawns tserrina is light blue to a level 51. The rest will be dark blue.

Thanks for the update Nilbog - really looking forward (backward?) to P99's ToFS. I predict it's going to be a little crowded for a while, however ....