PDA

View Full Version : My experience playing a necro

Dannermax
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Hey all.

I'm playing a necro and loving it. At the moment im lvl 48, and wanted to share some knowledge i've gathered/been told, through out the time i've been playing. Perhaps if you have any other tips, tricks or comments i'd love to hear them.

When splitting a group of mobs (eg. the spectres in Ocean Of Tears) i found out by accident, that i can single pull the specs, by casting dooming darkness (or any other snare), when/if other specs aggro i can FD, and when the aggro spec has returned to its static spawn point, the aggro affect has gone, and i can kill the snared mob. Does this hold true for every mob which has a static spawn point?

When using skeletal form (Call of bones) you get the best mana to hp ratio by casting vampiric embrace or vampiric curse (lifetap dot) on your mobs. When soloing blue mobs, im able to hold an, almost, constant stream of pulls when im fear kiting with my pet.

When casting a pet, the level range can vary a couple of levels. Sometimes they con light blue and other times dark blue. If you have lots of bone chips, you can cast reclaim energy, and cast another pet. This way you can recast your pet spell without loosing a ton of mana.

Invest your pp in weight reducing bags, because you should always have some weapons in your inventory for your pet. Bags like "Bag of sewn evil eyes" or tinkerers bag is a great investment.

Thats all i can come up with at the moment.

godbox
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
mage focus item quests reward clicky reclaim energy usable by anyone from inventory. easy to solo the torch at 40 with any class that has a pet worth doin.

Hyperstatic60
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Can you describe your spell selection that you use when you do your "constant stream of pulls" using call of bones and the lifetap dot while fear kiting? Curious how you can outdmg the pet to get full exp while still keeping enough mana for constant pulls.

Im only lvl 26 so i dont have cob yet, but i have trouble outdamaging the pet and keeping enough mana for constant pulls, at least on mobs close to my level. Is cob just that awesome?

Thanks for help.

Also, another way to split pulls is to root (or screaming terror) the mob you dont want to kill, let the mob you do want to kill run to you and send the pet on it. Then fd (as long as mob that you want to fight is far enough out of aggro range of rooted mob). This will allow you to kill one mob in peace.

Dannermax
06-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Good points Hyper.

As far as i know, you just have to do 1 point of damage yourself, to get full xp from the kill. It was actually not untill lvl 46 i could hold a constant stream of pulls, when fearkiting blue/light blue conned spectres with the COB up.

Keep cob up alll the time, stick pet to mob, cast dooming darkness, cast undeadfear (lasts longer than the regular fear) cast asystole dot and last but not least vampyric embrace to make up for the hp loss of COB. DD spirit tab spell now and then is needed aswell..

This technique wasnt doable before lvl 46 for me, because the cob would leech too much of my hp. So yes i have found out that cob is really awesome!!

You prolly have some lower kind of Skeletal form spell, and perhaps you have vampyric embrace?

Also another thing thats kept me from dying countless times, is having diamondskin up. It consumes 1 peridot to cast (20pp) but well worth it.

Hyperstatic60
06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Have you tried doing 1 pt of dmg and tracking exp and comparing it with doing over 50% on a mob?

Everything I've read on the forums has said that you must do 51% or more damage to a mob if you are soloing or the pet takes half exp. Ive never personally tried it, but ive tried to do over 50% since on started on p99.

Interesting though. Thanks for info.

Dannermax
06-15-2012, 01:41 AM
You are most welcome..

Hmm no i havent actually.. But with the dots and snare, i probably do 70pct damage every time to a mob, because my pet is pretty weak and my new pet spell is just around the corner. But i will definitely experiment with this 50 pct thing you told me... :)

godbox
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
if pet does 50+% of dmg to mob he gets 50% (or 60% i forget) of the exp and then add in your race/class penalty you might only end up with 10% exp per kill

Dannermax
06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
You are right. Just read it on the wiki. Normally i would fearkite with my pet and let it do most of the damage, but this weekend I was root dotting random mobs in Ej, and with the exp bonus and my pet not doing more than 50pct dmg, the exp was owerwhelming.. Boy have i been wasting my time trying to level my pet.. :)

godbox
06-20-2012, 02:24 AM
necro generally is mana efficient enough and pet isnt as godly as a mage pet so you should be able to outdps effectivly. I dont play necro but i play with necros as a sham so I know the class pretty well. you can play like a mage if u want and let your pet do all the dmg then (go get the clicky mage item I wrote about earlier in this post) and dispell ur pet when mob is at like 10% then one big lifetap should kill it and then you resummon pet which will be super mana efficient since unlike the mage version of this your pet wont take any damage and when u reclaim you will get all the mana u used to cast it back.
also undead charm kiting like an ench does is pretty good since I assume all necros have CoS

Sebastionleo
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Ok, I'm confused. I was about to make a Necro, after reading in the News posts that the 50% damage change was reverted to needing to only do 1 damage to get full EXP. Has that change been re-reverted?

Raavak
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
When splitting a group of mobs (eg. the spectres in Ocean Of Tears) i found out by accident, that i can single pull the specs, by casting dooming darkness (or any other snare), when/if other specs aggro i can FD, and when the aggro spec has returned to its static spawn point, the aggro affect has gone, and i can kill the snared mob. Does this hold true for every mob which has a static spawn point?

Snare pulling. Its pretty cool. SK's use it too, and monks with certain items.