PDA

View Full Version : Everquest take 2!

spooge
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey guys!

I was really into Everquest when it first came out and left the game before Planes of Power. At the time i did a fair amount of raiding and pvp...School and RL stuff just got in the way. I've played a few other games since but noting compares to my memories of classic EQ. So here i am starting over again, but in a much more casual manner.

I always played a monk in the past but i'm looking for something new this time. I was thinking about a ranger or SK but i'm scared about solo-ability. So i think i am going for an enchanter or necro. :cool:

Any tips for noobs starting out again?

Thanks

Metallikus
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd chaulk you up as lost cause material coming at us with the name of spooge.

spooge
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
yeah i thought it was funny at the time but in hindsight i can see why you think that...

godbox
06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
resist the temptation of going iksar necro if you have played any modern mmos. make a dark elf or something that starts near EC head there and in a non obnoxious way ask for buffs for the first 10 lvls shouldnt take more than a few hours.
Ikky necro is best cause of regen but if you got no gear / noone to buff in FoB the exp penalty will knock you off the server as it almost did me before I figured out what I was doing wrong... ikky necro solo start massive exp penalty further hindered by pet doing all your damage you end up getting like 10% of each kill

or just make a human monk (people will hook up a naked monk using fists) Ive noticed a lack of low lvl monks lately on my new ench and ive seen alot of: sham,ench,magi,druid,cleric

Dannermax
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd chaulk you up as lost cause material coming at us with the name of spooge.

Nevermind the random stupid posts, that has nothing to do with what you ask!!

If your into soloing, i'd recommend rolling a necro. They are a fun and versatile class to play, and manages great in groups and alone.

Yes atm. the server population has decreased to the point, where it gets harder and harder to find groups.

Welcome to the server!!

spooge
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
a lack of monks? wow that's certainly interesting, always enjoyed the monk class.

I'm thinking ranger is off the table.. might be too difficult to level up.

Still thinking Necro, enchanter, monk or SK at this point. Thanks for the tips everyone.

godbox
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
ikky necro is best. being new to server with no friends list trying to beg a port out of FoB is near impossible and noone groups in FoB from my experience it was just twinked monk/shams duoing or soloing. so to above poster you should go get him a ride =P

theres not a lack of monks server wide. everyone thats been on server awhile has a high end monk. Just noticed while I have been grinding low lvl that I dont see hardly any monks which sucks cause I always want one to duo with.

Slave
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Pick your race based on what it brings to the table (or what you like), not on where it happens to be located for the first few seconds of its life.

Remember that Iksars bring a 20% experience penalty above and beyond the 10% already incurred by Necromancer. Due to pet exp nerf (if the pet deals more damage than you, it will take half the experience) this can often be a very painful combination to play. They are more powerful than Dark Elf Necromancers if you disregard the usefulness of Hide (and it is extremely useful), but exp penalty is multiplicative, not additive.

Danyelle
06-06-2012, 02:20 PM
If you roll a mage, be prepared to do ridiculous tactics to get xp while solo.

If you're playing casual, or simply are casual, don't roll an Iksar. It makes travel outside Kunark a pain.

Make friends.

Be nice.

Don't beg.

Save things like spider/spiderling silks, HQ pelts etc to make dat cash early on.

Maintain resist gear in addition to primary gear. Even if not intending to raid it helps on caster mobs during xp farms.

Don't jump the gun on buying items in the East Commonlands Bazaar. Try to find the best prices. The auction tracker helps with that.

Donate generously for everything if possible. It's not only polite, it also helps build friendships (It can also get you free assistance down the road).

Base the guild you join (if you join one at all) on the quality of members, not necessarily their gear.

Gnoll Fangs. For the first 20 years of your adventuring life always remember Gnoll Fangs.

Banked backup gear is almost a must-have. Due to corpse runs. Especially long ones. For casters, keep banked back-up reagents as well especially for pets (Malachite, Bone Chips, Less than average sized daggers, etc)

Just because everyone else orbits around particular zones doesn't necessarily mean you have to.

It's just a game, remember to treat it like one.

Be careful on the forums. The in-game community is amazing, but the forums tend to harbor trolls.

Beyond that nothing more to say off the top of my head though i'm sure other people can come up with much more. Welcome to P99! Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

spooge
06-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Awesome! thanks a lot for the tips! Going to try and decide on a class/race tonight :)

Bazia
06-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Sweet good luck!

mwatt
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Danyelle said:

"Banked backup gear is almost a must-have. Due to corpse runs. Especially long ones. For casters, keep banked back-up reagents as well especially for pets (Malachite, Bone Chips, Less than average sized daggers, etc)"

I never use backup gear nor do most people that I have seen. IMO, It makes some sense for a Warrior or Paladin I suppose. Every other class is either not that gear reliant and/or has one or more ways to ameliorate the issue of no gear - i.e., FD, invis, root, snare, fast running speed, teleportation spells.

I can see a use for backup reagents however. Food, water and pet casting reagents are important. Also, a little money is a good idea. :)

Tarathiel
06-06-2012, 07:20 PM
your are joining at a crucial time, numbers are down but theres still plenty of people to group with, try to pick the class that you want to play for the long run because thats going to be make all the difference on if you stay around or not. anyways enjoy the server and shoot me a tell if you have any questions!

ps - gfay is the best noob starting zone hands down just my opinion tho ;p

Haul
06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Don't listen to godbox. Starting location can be easily fixed and Iksar Necro gets just as much good gear as any other necro. Having massive racial regen to offset lich cannot be gained later. Pick your race based on what it brings to the table (or what you like), not on where it happens to be located for the first few seconds of its life.

Starting location cannot easily be fixed for a Iksar Necro brand new to server, with no friends. What on earth are you talking about lol.

Supaskillz
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I think if you previously played a monk and the other two classes that are most appealing to you are sk and ranger, you should not follow all the advice you are getting here to roll a necro. There is a big difference to me in playing a pure caster and a melee.

Rangers and Sk's both get some solo ability though do much better in a group setting. Rangers are the butt of alot of jokes in classic since they have the problem of being a jack of all trades but a master of none(except tracking), but they have some good utility and have some unique characteristics(such as getting much better bows than other classes and being able to track very large areas). SK's make great group tanks and if soloing are able to fear kite pretty effectively, although kills take some time and effort.

Many people advise against melee classes to start b/c they are far more gear reliant than casters, but I think looking forward to gear upgrades that actually matter make playing melee classes far more enjoyable. At the end of the day play the race/class combo that sounds the coolest/funnest to you and you will enjoy the game more.

spooge
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Well i started an Iksar necro, we'll see how the first 10 levels go. I'll probably try out a few classes before i make a final decision on a class. I have to agree on the melee loot being quite awesome and rewarding to get though.

spooge
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Iksar necro - name - Athoz

having a lot of fun & going to stick with this took $$$

Brimacombe
06-09-2012, 10:58 AM
They are fun, just understand that you will be Kill On Sight to every city except Cabilis unless you spend significant time grinding faction for each city you want access to.

-Brimacombe