PDA

View Full Version : Class that make the best shaman?

Nokio
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

**Im my title you should read Race that make the best shaman (instead of class) my mistake**

I know that it has already been asked. I also know that there has been discussion about it regarding the ogre frontal stun being broke.

Basicaly im curious as to what is the difference between Barbarian/Troll/Ogre when it comes down to start a shaman.

What are the difference in the beginning of the game in mid game and in end game? What are the difference for classic EQ for kunark EQ etc.

Im curious and im about to start a shaman in replacement of my current mage.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Vonblund
05-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd say Shaman...

I know it is obvious for such as ... Druids.

But other than that, and jokes apart, the troll regen always appealed...

Velothi
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm actually going to be rolling a shaman alt once I get my main all leveled up. I'm going to be going with a troll for a couple big reasons. First, the troll regen should speed up your downtime overall by a little bit, as you'll heal up that much quicker after a canni for mana. The second big reason is that a troll shaman of Innoruuk can get http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254 which, besides not having HORRIBLE stats, also gives you an ability in a snare (albeit a short duration one) that the class doesn't otherwise have.

Nokio
05-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Vonblund : AHAH my bad i should have reread my thread and title before posting lol. So What RACE makes the best shaman was the true question :p

Thanks for the information

Velothi : Thanks for the input ill consider that with what the other people will have to say on the subject :p

Thanks again for the information !

astarothel
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
troll regen + canni = baller.

Omnimorph
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
at lower levels the regen will really help you out, and will still be nice at higher levels. So i'd probably go troll. Or if you're waiting for kunark i'd go ikky :p

If ogre stun immunity works, i'd probably go ogre now if you want to make it now, if not go troll, or wait till kunark is out :)

Nokio
05-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Ok so what i understand so far is that barbarian is out of the way ? lol

Trol is the way to go because of their actual regen and the fact that ogre stun is broken.

If ogre frontal stun was working Ogre would be the way to go over Troll?

Once Kunark launch. Iksar will be the way to go over Troll/Ogre? Why is that?

Pyrocat
05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Barbarians look like dorks. But they have the highest starting wisdom, which doesn't matter once you get to higher levels and reach 200+ wisdom.

Once you hit 200 wisdom, you stop wanting to get +wisdom gear and start wanting to get +mana gear. You get diminishing returns on how much mana you get per point of wisdom past 200.

Pyrocat
05-17-2010, 11:27 AM
On the other hand, barbarians don't have experience penalties.

Ogres have -15%
Trolls have -20%

So you'll reach level 50 quicker as a barbarian, and have more mana for most of the journey. In the long run I'd suggest Troll or Ogre though, better starting Stamina, and both have extremely useful racial abilities. Unfortunately Ogre frontal stun immunity is broken (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3144) atm, but it will get fixed eventually and then you'll be an OP shaman.

redghosthunter
05-17-2010, 11:27 AM
ISK SHM all the way

Izzni
05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
If you're min/maxing, then troll is probably what you want to go with now. However, you aren't going to passed over by raiding guilds because you are not the ideal race for your class. Having people ask for SoW from my assling cleric is a highlight of my day.

Mmohunter
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I chose Barb Shaman, but only because I knew I might have a shot at the Guise of the Deceiver. I did end up getting it, and you'll rarely see me in my dumb-ass-Barbarian mode.

If you are a min/max'er I would say go Troll. If you hate exp penalties, barbarian and have fun looking doofy.

Anata
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
On the other hand, barbarians don't have experience penalties.

Ogres have -15%
Trolls have -20%
Barbarians have actually an experience penalty, but it's only 5%.

Pyrocat
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Barbarians have actually an experience penalty, but it's only 5%.

Oh, right, I always forget that >.<

Omnimorph
05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh, i forgot, iksar can't use JBB's. That's baaaad :p

To summise, there's bonuses and flaws for each.

Barbs = less exp penalty, higher starting wis, good race
ogre = should have frontal stun immunity eventually (high stam), evil race
troll = innate regen (high stam), evil race
iksar = innate regen, ac bonus, can't use plate though (JBB), hated race

There's other pros and cons, but these are the main ones i think.

Nokio
05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I just read the new patch note and it is said that ogre frontal should now work more accuratly.

Does that make the Ogre frontal stun more valuable then the hp regen of troll?

Or it is really a matter of choice at that point ?

Skope
05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
It doesn't matter. Plain and simple.

Don't go troll for an overrated necklace. It's uses are limited and you'll realize that as soon as you get one. Troll regen is great in that it stacks with spells (chloro) and worn regen (rubi/fungi). they have decent stam as well

Ogre is great! particularly for the solo shaman i'd say it's the class to pick over troll/barb. they wear plate (think JBB, class defining) and have great stam. lowest wis doesn't matter, as this i've discussed and has been discussed before. Shaman mana is directly determined by their health points, thus if you have more HP you have more mana.

Iksars can't wear JBB, though this may seem like a minor hindrance, it's actually quite severe when soloing at endgame (if that's your shindig). in terms of groups iksar are probably the best race to pick. They have an AC bonus for when you throw a slow too early, and great regen, like trolls, that stacks with spells/worn effects.

Btw, don't stack wis. after 175 wis it's all the same. you'll have more than enough mana to cast the spells you'll need to cast in any situation, whether solo or group/raid. Towards the end of kunark you will have more mana than you know what to do with if you're not lazy about hitting your keys (cannibalize>torpor). In fact, shammy mana regen surpasses necros in a raid setting at lvl 60, and that's directly determined by your HP.

I picked a barb, but only b/c i hate looking at trolls and ogres and i played an iksar during live.

Nokio
05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
dammit lol !

Im still confuse i love both ogre and troll i just dont know which one to play and stick to lol

One thing is sure though. I love to group with people. And i also love to be able to play solo if i dont have much time to group. I also know that even though i will stick to that shaman, I will probably never be able to join high end raider guild and get all those badass item (fungi tunic just to name one) So i want to choose for the race knowing those point. Ok Ogre can solo stuff that troll cant beucause of the frontal bonus. But i will probably not get the item required to be able to start thinking to do those thing.

So based on that. Is ogre or troll more suitable for what i will most likely be doing? :p

ShadowWulf
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Trolls!

Im a little biased though.

Kerrik
05-17-2010, 10:02 PM
I've played an Iksar Shaman from kunark though all the expansions to Seeds of Destruction (with a couple years off to run a Barb Shaman on the Combine). Frankly I love the Iksar race and can't say that not having access to the JBB bothered me in the least.

Agravaine
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Then choose the one that looks best. Or the one who asks for the best name.

Personally, I like everything about Ogres except that they are too tall and the camera angle feels funny. But shrink can fix that if you don't mind casting it regularly.

aVoided
05-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Troll all the way... just my opinion. They still have high stam and regen... stun immunity is good but not that great imo. If you aren't grouping with a shammy you're wasting your toon (though we can solo quite well later on), just my 2 bits. I much prefer grouping over solo.. thats me though :P

Ougly - 50 *TROLL* Shaman ! :)

Nokio
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
:p Thanks you all for those tips :D

I finaly made my choice and i created my Troll Shaman yesterday. Im level 3 and half way through 4. I never in the past created an evil race so this is gonna be fun and my first time at a few zone like those swamp im stuck in atm :p

So im gonna stick with that troll till i reach 50 now ! Thats the goal. Thanks again all for your time on my question.

Now the only thing that remain is that looonnngg road up to 50. And those looonnnggg hour trying to farm some cash to buy some gear to make it work better ahah ! This is gonna be legendary!

Have a nice day all !
See you in game !

Reiker
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Shaman who know how to play their class don't stack wis/mana.

Weekapaug
05-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Btw, don't stack wis. after 175 wis it's all the same.

Shaman who know how to play their class don't stack wis/mana.

When you guys say "stacking" wis or mana, what does that mean, exactly?

Not sure I've heard that particular term applied to stats before.

Velothi
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
As far as initial stat allocation goes (at least for a semi-twink), max stamina with the rest to wis is the way to go, right?

Edit: For a troll

bionicbadger
05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
As far as initial stat allocation goes (at least for a semi-twink), max stamina with the rest to wis is the way to go, right?

Edit: For a troll

yes, grab a couple cheap wis items at low level (earrings, etc.) and you'll be fine. Once you hit 24 and get cannibalize you'll be happy you put your points there.

Nokio
05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Hello,

Im not a twink nor a semi-twink.
Actualy my highest char is a mage level 20 so i cant really give myself anything lol....

At the creation ive put 25 point into wis and 5 into sta.

Was it a mistake?

Skaff
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
The Ikky being a hated race is pretty relative to the time of release. Yes, the old world is pretty much off limits unless you do some faction work. However, Kunark will be released and you will spend most of your time there. Cabalis is a very easy zone to reach.

Skope
05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Hello,

Im not a twink nor a semi-twink.
Actualy my highest char is a mage level 20 so i cant really give myself anything lol....

At the creation ive put 25 point into wis and 5 into sta.

Was it a mistake?

No, it wasn't. Though that may seem at odds with what i said earlier, in practicality it makes sense. The point is to get to 170-180 without "trying" as hard. what i mean by that is to avoid the low AC (no ac) items and those with no +HP. The best way to do that is to dump all your starting points into stamina so you can then focus on getting as much +HP gear as you can with some wis thrown in.

Think of it in terms of your spells. what are the only two stats you can't increase via buffs and thus max out with semi-attainable gear? Wis/Int,. the other's being HP and AC (ac a bit less useful).

For a shaman you should always put your starting points into wisdom, simply because you won't be walking around 100 points below the stam cap with shammy stat buffs (and stamina's > HP return is far less than plain ol' +HP items).

bionicbadger
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
For a shaman you should always put your starting points into wisdom, simply because you won't be walking around 100 points below the stam cap with shammy stat buffs (and stamina's > HP return is far less than plain ol' +HP items).

Its much easier to find big +wis items that are still useful for a shaman than big +sta items.

Reiker
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM

The thing is stamina is much more important to a Shaman than Wisdom, combined with the fact that there's way less +Stamina mods than +Wisdom on items.

On live, in top raid guilds decked out in best in era gear, I don't think I broke 200 wis on a shammy before PoP.

Hell, I didn't replace my Vindi BP until GoD.

Edit: As far as race goes, go Ogre. Troll regen becomes useless as soon as you scribe Torpor, and is only marginally useful at 50. Ogres have better stats and frontal stun bonus. The immunity isn't completely broken, yes melee alone can interrupt your spells, but avoiding stuns is still really nice while tank-soloing.