PDA

View Full Version : Just how much of a "big deal" was Fires of Heaven back in the day?

Safon
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I read an offhand comment about them in RnF today, and seem to recall hearing the name elsewhere on these forums as well. Were they some legendary guild during live? Anyone got a quick history lesson on what they did and why they were so famous?

It's interesting how a guild's name can live on in fame or infamy, I kinda miss having IB around. As a newb here they held a certain lofty image. Reminded me of my server's elite on live.

Anyways just curious about what history throughout live I missed (pre PoP, before the game died)

Servellious
06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I think afterlife and FoH were the top guilds for game firsts

Silverain
06-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Most of the original firsts revolved around FoH and AL, and a couple other guilds. And Furor was big, among other GL's, about posting cutting edge stuff on their page that may or may not have gotten encounters/bugs etc looked at rather quick. He also went on to work with/still work with? Blizzard with WoW I think. I remember I used to like readin their pages on new stuff just cause my guild wasn't quite cutting edge, but we got there eventually.

Vandy
07-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Mith Marr was my home server AL used to rape everything they were pretty legit.

Zereh
07-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Not nearly as big of a deal as the people P99 claim to be. :P

Brimacombe
07-01-2012, 03:23 AM
FoH used to be pretty good. Now they just read like reddit.

-Brimacombe

Supaskillz
07-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I mean big enough that I heard of them and visited their website as a midlevel player on a different server

JenJen
07-01-2012, 03:35 AM
speak to FoH legend on this very server, Bisch the monk.

Danyelle
07-01-2012, 03:45 AM
FoH was cool, until it let the fame of being one of the best guilds on an MMO go to it's head and their former members waltz into every game/server they play with a stuck up dickish attitude.

JenJen
07-01-2012, 04:25 AM
examples?

bizzum
07-01-2012, 04:53 AM
This post always cracked me up. What a giant bitch.

http://www.fohguild.org/archive.php?page=45

You have 14 Days. If after that time the Plane is not properly tuned, I am deleting my characters, and cancelling all of my accounts. The rest of my guild will follow suit, as will several other guilds and people that play Everquest.

To be brief, I did not work my ass off, jumping through your idiotic hoops with my friends and guildmates, so I could go to a zone where only groups of 18 could enjoy the content. EVEN if past these initial moronic events I can finally get my entire guild in to raid with me, FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously, FUCK YOU.

I cannot believe this... right now I'm just so pissed off. I am sitting here in the Plane of Time, and 3/4 of my guild is just sitting around while a group of 18 is repeatedly trying to beat one of the mini ring encounters. Don't you people have ANY FUCKING DECENCY? SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?

The tragic irony of creating the ultimate cockblock encounter in the form of the Rathe which requires 80 people to defeat and then to limit encounters in the Plane of Time to 18.

14 Days.... after that this site will change from the most popular EQ fan site on the internet to the most popular World of Warcraft fan site on the internet. I'm done playing ball with you useless fuckers... it's my turn.

Danyelle
07-01-2012, 05:03 AM
examples?

Well "Yellowbird" over on EZ and his recreation of FoH was a prime example.

Also this:

http://www.fohguild.org/archive.php?page=45

JenJen
07-01-2012, 05:21 AM
curse those elitists in online gaming communities!

pharmakos
07-01-2012, 09:36 AM
they were kind of a big deal, but yeah the leader was a bit of a dick

here's FoH's guildmaster's entry on the WoW Wiki: http://www.wowwiki.com/Alex_Afrasiabi

his official title over at the World of Warcraft offices is "Lead World Designer"

the wiki says apparently he also had the first level 50 in all of EverQuest

Brimacombe
07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
curse those elitists in online gaming communities!

I like pie.

-Brimacombe

Silverain
07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I remember hearing he had the first 50, a rogue, but was also banned on that character shortly after for trading no drop items through merchants? There was a short open letter he wrote long ago asking to come back, and I suppose that's when he made Furor. Of course, I could be mistaken as it has been years, but I think I remember reading the short letter long ago.

Galanteer
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM

There were three strong guilds on Mith Marr. AL was only slightly ahead of the other two, and they had better pr. (I'm referring to early times).

Afterlife was top, North America based, just behind was Forsaken Realm, Europe based, and Team Japan (they were more an amalgamation of guilds that raided together).

Harmonicdeth
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
FoH was leading edge, some of their people could be dicks, just like any guild... on any server like this one.

Crib and Sean were awesome people and always gave me advice when I had it on my bard or ranger.

Good times were had when I was under their massive shadow.

Kevlar
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
They weren't a big deal at all. Every server had its top dog guild. They just attracted more window lickers than most.

Valiant
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Realm of insanity bitches

Moss

kaev
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I didn't raid classic, and was on a different server (Tunare). But yeah, FoH got noticed and Furor came off as the biggest dick in a pack of dicks (as was true of many other "top" guilds and their leaders.) At the same time, the post quoted above, arrogant as it was/is, was not as extreme in its arrogance as the shitty game design he was reacting to was extreme in its shittiness. I never saw anything generate that level of anger/unhappiness/nerdrage on live until years later when the GoD expansion drove many of the competitive raider types to WoW, from which most never returned.

Radiskull
07-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Rogean was in Fires of Heaven. Every server had a top guild, FoH was the top guild of top guilds, along with Afterlife. They had a lot of recognizable names and became most famous for their forums.

maahes
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I played Torvo LIVE. FoH used to farm the top guilds on ALL servers for the "hardcore" players. You could transfer your character to their server. ( items and pp were not transferable at the time.) They would promise to give you PP to match your current funds. Would equip you with end game raid gear within a month. It was required that you dual box at the time, so if you couldn't play 2 toons....

FoH was the most hard core American guild during LIVE. IMHO.

Kevlar
07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I played Torvo LIVE. FoH used to farm the top guilds on ALL servers for the "hardcore" players. You could transfer your character to their server. ( items and pp were not transferable at the time.) They would promise to give you PP to match your current funds. Would equip you with end game raid gear within a month. It was required that you dual box at the time, so if you couldn't play 2 toons....

FoH was the most hard core American guild during LIVE. IMHO.

You could easily transfer gear and plat just by going legends for a month. For a while I was the top geared bard in the top guild on Firiona Vie where nothing was no-drop. The guild was run by one of the biggest cash sellers in the game. Pretty much a revolving door of characters getting geared, getting sold, going to legends and transferring to other servers. I sold my bard for 1500 at the time fully elemental geared with a lot of rare items like mask of tinkering and flayed barbarian skin, etc.

Visual
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
never even heard of them til p99

inyane
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Rogean was in Fires of Heaven. Every server had a top guild, FoH was the top guild of top guilds, along with Afterlife. They had a lot of recognizable names and became most famous for their forums.

Isn't rogean like 22 years old? I doubt he was raiding with FoH when he was 9, but who knows...

Naerron
07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
umm Triton of povar, first into VT, kind of a big deal.....

Naerron
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
leader of FoH went on to help with WoW too, so yea, a pretty big deal imo if you attract designers from blizzard because of how good you play a different game.

Ele
07-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Of course the most enjoyable update/frontpage was Legacy of Steel with Tigole.

We Know Drama (TM)

ArumTP
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Didn't Furor play a pally originally? and got the first fiery avenger and have personal in game congratulations by Aradune? I seem to remember that, and that account being banned for duping, then the next character actually being Furor.

FoH may have been the best guild, but Legacy of Steel with Tigole was much more awesome to read.

gnomishfirework
07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Not nearly as big of a deal as the people P99 claim to be. :P

lol. you jealous? They were the only big name guild that didn't play on my server that I had heard of before the Rathe Council stuff.

As far as top everquest guilds of all time go, you can't not mention them. Everyone knew who they were.

DarkwingDuck
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes even on Rallos zek where fires of heaven didn't exist we knew of them... Although ascending dawn was our power guild guild followed by a close 2 others... We were also the first to down the sleeper, ..

Arteker
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
i hard there was bolts when foh was beaten by TR, litttle know fac was than TR backflaged many of their new people using europa guild in sh .

Xadion
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Furor was actually a nice guy in game, its only when you crossed FoH in raid-areas in contention that you got taken down a notch. Being that I started EQ in April 1999 I did chill with a decent number of em leveling- however as you all know I suck at leveling- and they moved on. In person to person in game I never encountered a dick - however on the forums lol- Furor was popular because his feedback (however verbose and obscene) did get attention by the devs etc etc

On live I only had 2 run-ins with FoH , one was in ToV when they where armor farming for alts/recruits in HoT and the other was while keying up for VT and doing ssra emp- they had some back keys to get.

JenJen
07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
bisch of FoH care to comment on these allegations?

Rais
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Most were assholes. There was a small handful I got along with. I never laughed so hard when we would wipe to someone doing something and furor just going full rage. It was even better when you didn't cause the fuck up.

I would say the best raid was right before we killed Arry in ToV for the first time, this dude named Bakara had his girlfriend get on webcam and molested a banana. 75% of the raid LD because it was right after a patch you couldn't use windowsEQ, so you had to close it out.

I don't know anything about people applying cross servers to join. We had a few like Andys and Murr and a few others. They were people that were cool and ended up joining because of the friends they had in the guild. I know after Planes of Power they invited pretty much anyone since EQ was starting to die out. Kunark and SoL were the core FoH that were around and got stuff done.

After some members of CD joined, the guild started to get burnt out and quit. So maybe that's where the cross server stuff happened. I know some members in IB claimed to be in FoH that I've never heard of. So I guess thats where that part comes from.

Over all it was fun as a kid. Looking back and how people treated each other, I'd have never done it. To this day I wouldn't mind running into Karae in a dark ally.

Frieza_Prexus
07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I always remember Karae being a huge bitch on the FoH boards then one day s/he disappeared and was banned. I need the inside scoop to satisfy my decade-old curiosity.

Xadion
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I always remember Karae being a huge bitch on the FoH boards then one day s/he disappeared and was banned. I need the inside scoop to satisfy my decade-old curiosity.

prolly standard fair...nothing tops millie

Rais
07-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't know what karae's deal was. I know he shacked up with some meth addict from the 2nd guild on the server named Thess or something. He was as big as a bitch in game as he was on the website.

HeallunRumblebelly
07-02-2012, 06:58 PM
FOH lacks young doctors, young (rules) lawyers, and p50 evonys. afraid they never were as big of a deal as p99 players :3

Misto
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
i have no idea who Fire of Heavens were and still don't.

Wudan / Ascending Dawn / Fusion

jdklaw
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
not as big a deal as i am

Arteker
07-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Bisch , why he did hated so much pal sks?

Xadion
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Bisch , why he did hated so much pal sks?

Verant loved Pallys - FA (epic) before anyone else, full set of Sky armor- wind etched- pallys got pandered to- SKs us poor bastards didnt get any real love untill Luclin and PoP

apparently SKs are demi-gods now in EQ live.

Danyelle
07-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Swarming

All I'm gonna say

Nirgon
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Verant loved Pallys - FA (epic) before anyone else, full set of Sky armor- wind etched- pallys got pandered to- SKs us poor bastards didnt get any real love untill Luclin and PoP

Yeah it sure was rough having large races (2 handed bash w/o epic), invis/invis to undead, snare and feign death.

Trax
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Most were assholes. There was a small handful I got along with. I never laughed so hard when we would wipe to someone doing something and furor just going full rage. It was even better when you didn't cause the fuck up.

I would say the best raid was right before we killed Arry in ToV for the first time, this dude named Bakara had his girlfriend get on webcam and molested a banana. 75% of the raid LD because it was right after a patch you couldn't use windowsEQ, so you had to close it out.

I don't know anything about people applying cross servers to join. We had a few like Andys and Murr and a few others. They were people that were cool and ended up joining because of the friends they had in the guild. I know after Planes of Power they invited pretty much anyone since EQ was starting to die out. Kunark and SoL were the core FoH that were around and got stuff done.

After some members of CD joined, the guild started to get burnt out and quit. So maybe that's where the cross server stuff happened. I know some members in IB claimed to be in FoH that I've never heard of. So I guess thats where that part comes from.

Over all it was fun as a kid. Looking back and how people treated each other, I'd have never done it. To this day I wouldn't mind running into Karae in a dark ally.

You forgot to mention how awesome Sean was...

Xadion
07-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah it sure was rough having large races (2 handed bash w/o epic), invis/invis to undead, snare and feign death.

It was and is indeed a rough life...

SKs where masters of ultility for themselves, invs self only, lev selv only, see invs self only...but we are SKs afterall ;-P

dont forget fear and pets...well pets are ehh their usefulness is vary dependent on the situation

sean was awesome in my book

Nirgon
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Troll SK easily favorite MMO char design

batkiller
07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Nothing like that was a big deal to me, I only cared about my server, and on my server, I was busy trying to make myself in to a big deal. Some website outside the game, for a guild outside of my server, was not even vaguely interesting to me. And everyone I knew felt the same.

redgiant
07-05-2012, 03:22 AM
FoH was top guild on Veeshan, and with Afterlife, Legacy of Steel, Realm of Insanity and Kreiger one of the top guilds on any server.

Furor Planedefiler was GL of FoH, and was the first 50 as his rogue Kalaran (who got banned). He was also the first warrior to get his epic done (and iirc there were some stats or ratio or something he didn't like about it that SOE actually changed). He may have been loud, but he usually backed up what he said/griped about. Sites like Lum the Mad was standard fare for covering all the EQ drama back in the day, I wonder if some of the posts about Furor are still available on wayback...

Fires of Heaven was the name of the 4th book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, where the name came from. In fact, there were a LOT of guild and player names lifted/adapted from those books (how many variations of Rand, Perrin and Lan can you invent), along with from the usual suspects like Lord of the Rings, D&D, etc.

Kimm Barely
07-05-2012, 03:58 AM
FOH was the first and greatest 133754|_|C3 MMORPG guild back in the day. They are single-handedly responsible for promoting the idea of EPEEN. Blizzard skyrocketed to the behemoth they are today thanks to selling accessible EPEEN.

Influential much?

Dullah
07-05-2012, 04:59 AM
If you "didn't care" or didn't know about FoH back in the days, its because you weren't doing anything big.

Its like trying to be a pro ball player, and not knowing who the new york yankees were.

Arclanz
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
No mention of Thott? Hard to forget a guy who used robot from Lost in Space as his avatar. Plus who could forget thottbot. Oh and he won the Bard BoTB server-wide. Regarding FoH, yes I remember the day they switched from an EQ guild into a WoW guild; and I thought hmm that sounds like a mistake. When WoW turned out to be the joke that most EQ players expected it to be, I laughed. You have one of the hardest core raiding guilds go to a game which caters to twelve years olds and their soccer Moms. The only other hardcore guild names I remember are Shock of Swords and, of course, AfterLife. I remember when AL or FoH was recruiting cross-server; it was during Luclin. Cool times.

azeth
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
The only other hardcore guild names I remember are Shock of Swords and, of course, AfterLife. I remember when AL or FoH was recruiting cross-server; it was during Luclin. Cool times.

Brotherhood of the Spider

Cats in Hats

Couple more top end guilds.

Trax
07-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Cats in Hats

Is everyone forgetting about the infamous exploiters known as Conquest? Clever use of mechanics I say.

Brut
07-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Don't forget Ghoulbane off a lvl30 mob while SKs were swinging sharjaw cutlasses!

azeth
07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote from FoHGuild.org forums "EQ1 exploit/nostalgia" thread from the leader of Veeshan's *other elite guild, CT.

When Luclin came out, I lost some appreciation for FoH and their tactics became a bit clearer and their reputation with me fell. The Itraer Vius, was some large spectre and early on he was pullable to the zoneline. CT farmed him for days until it was patched that he was unmovable. Trying to kill him in his room with the zerg of adds was a chore but CT managed to do it the legit way.

On one attempt at the Itraer, CT failed to kill him and once the guild departed FoH zerged into the zone with 40 players. I stayed around to watch how they would do it. Instead of killing him as intended, an FoH dwarf used some BFG4000 rare item with a knockback shot to push the Itraer out of his spawn room. FoH spent 30 minutes systematically exploiting this boss and to move him to a safe area, where the encounter was then trivial. To me that is the day I realized that FoH was nothing more than just another group of players, that happend to be ahead of the curve on others, they sploited mobs just like everyone else and the only reason they were so uber was because they happened to have a better core group that was formed at the start of the game with a clear goal in mind.

Xadion
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Don't forget Ghoulbane off a lvl30 mob while SKs were swinging sharjaw cutlasses!

Yes it always annoyed me that the Ghoulbane was 1) better and 2) easyer to get even solo than the DarkReaver.... and they where "the same tier" or weapon for SK and Pal... if you compare pal stuff to sk stuff, verant had hardons for pallys and the shaft to sks....its a hard knock life ;-)

It was a sad day when they took voicegraph and pet healing away from us :-(

Xadion
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote from FoHGuild.org forums "EQ1 exploit/nostalgia" thread from the leader of Veeshan's *other elite guild, CT.

I like how we use the term ZERG now meaning 40 players... when the raid system was set up for 72... 12 groups right? I was on a CoECT fear raid back in "the day" that was 115+ strong.... and breaking was still a pain in the ass hahah

Brut
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Yes it always annoyed me that the Ghoulbane was 1) better and 2) easyer to get even solo than the DarkReaver.... and they where "the same tier" or weapon for SK and Pal... if you compare pal stuff to sk stuff, verant had hardons for pallys and the shaft to sks....its a hard knock life ;-)

It was a sad day when they took voicegraph and pet healing away from us :-(
They also got that flaming ego sword Soulfire while the equal big-time quest of SKs was a gdi lifetap spell. How am I to impress wood elf rangers in Kelethin bank with a lifetap spell???

Ontopic didn't hear of no FoH til here. Probably since I didn't rly scour the web for EQ drama/info back in the days, and was busy ingame hanging out in Crushbone for years. =p

Xadion
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
They also got that flaming ego sword Soulfire while the equal big-time quest of SKs was a gdi lifetap spell. How am I to impress wood elf rangers in Kelethin bank with a lifetap spell???

Ontopic didn't hear of no FoH til here. Probably since I didn't rly scour the web for EQ drama/info back in the days, and was busy ingame hanging out in Crushbone for years. =p

ehh never really put lifeleech on par with soulfire- more like "We cant just have SKs BUY this spell! its ACUTALLY USEFULL"

we should have had a black sword (darkeaver) with blue or dark purple flames

even our sky sword is not as good...its good but needs more stats- and thats AFTER revamped rewards- before it was Rhemuglus and gave us wis??and shitty ratio lol

as for FoH, i was on veeshan so I knew them etc etc ;-) but i think i already posted that

falkun
07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
if you compare pal stuff to sk stuff, verant had hardons for pallys and the shaft to sks....its a hard knock life ;-)

And then you realize the pre-nerf CoS is arguably better than the entire paladin class in how it fundamentally changes the class.

But back to your comparison...does Inny's curse allow for bashing the same way FD does?

Xadion
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
yeah, CoS was a fluke lol but oh what a great fluke it was! And holgersh elder beads!

Kimm Barely
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/keadaas/alucian.png

Auvdar
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
umm Triton of povar, first into VT, kind of a big deal.....

Triton had some of the best website updates!

Trax
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Triton had some of the best website updates!

No. Triton had THE best news updates ever. Aside from when Furor's pussy hurt and he started crying about broken EverQuest.

Can you get me a working archive for the Triton site? I'd love to read some of those updates again.

Auvdar
07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
No. Triton had THE best news updates ever. Aside from when Furor's pussy hurt and he started crying about broken EverQuest.

Can you get me a working archive for the Triton site? I'd love to read some of those updates again.

Yeah, I always loved reading Triton updates. There were some FoH gems from the noows days, but once Furor got his ego dick the rants were either bad or amazing.

Triton was just funny to read all around, and Xaar (I think that was the GL? Or just some prominent guy at the time) just had a way to spin things that no one else could.

There site is still around, hell they are still around. I think there site had a huge dump crash a long time ago, but they still have some good updates.

happyhappy
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
The best part of Furor's rants was to rub them in his face three years later when he did the exact same shit he used to criticize.

bluejam
07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Well Furor was the perfect example of a whiney cunt. A big ass hairy puss infested cunt.

Versus
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Zaar was the GL of Triton. I still remember being like level 9 in North Ro and seeing him chillin with Brunar Rankin. Triton had A+ site updates for sure, I was in awe of that guild. But then again I was like 13 or 14.

Zugsmash
07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
There were several guilds of note i.e AL, IV, Da'Kor, but FoH was the top during their prime. They where the server firsts in everything pre-luclin for the most part.

I believe the issues really turned bad when the game developers let these guilds have to much say on what needs to be fixed and changed. They got exclusive beta testing of the new content/expansions along EQ2.

If I remember correctly they got exclusive beta invites to SWG,WoW and a couple of other games around that time.

If you truly want to know who the top guilds of the past were. Check out the loot pictures on Allakahzam for Planes, VP, Sleepers, Vulak loots.. FoH or AL on pretty much all of them..

falkun
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
They where the server firsts in everything pre-luclin for the most part.

Server first is big, world first is much larger...
http://www.afterlifeguild.org/template.cgi?page=index_jun_dec00
Hoshkar & His Drops
Yes, we finally did it: Hoshkar, the mightiest dragon so far encountered in Veeshan's Peak, is dead. This is the first Hoshkar slaying on ANY server. Loot included a Shissar Apothic Staff, Shissar Elemental Staff, and a Veridix's Short Sword. For more pictures of the dragon, click here.

Xygoz & Druushk Slain!
Two more mighty beasts of Veeshan's Peak fell tonight at the hands of Afterlife. This was also the first time on any server the dragon Xygoz has been killed!

Afterlife completes the first Singing Short Sword (Bard FA)! Full info here.

Druid Epic Weapon Discovered!
Sobe Silvertree of Guild Afterlife was the first player across all servers to finish the Druid FA quest. Congratulations Sobe!

Derakor the Vindicator is Slain!
First killing anywhere of this new Velious mob located in the zone of Kael Drakken.

And it keeps going. FoH had EQ-firsts, but by no means were they utterly dominating their competition.

xnolanx
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Cats in Hats

BoTS was a name I haven't heard in a long time.. I played on The Rathe server.. Thuudd's Wrecking Crew was a big one on there, too.

Elderan
09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Furor wasn't a bad guy really. He just knew what he wanted and demanded a lot from people. If you were not in his guild he generally did not care for you at all but people in the guild he treated well as long as you were doing your job. He defended people in the guild though all the time.

Kalaran (Rogue) was the first lvl 50 in all of EQ. I (Elderan, Ranger) was the first level 60. He eventually switched to Kartak an ogre warrior for raids. This was later replaced by Furor a human warrior.

I know the guild pretty well as I was in the guild early on and an officer until I quit before shadow of luclin.

Hailto
09-19-2012, 01:53 AM
At least they had a cool name for their guild. No offense, but the top p99 guild names are lame as hell.

Don't know shit about them otherwise.

Hailto
09-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I didn't recognize any of the names, so I think it was just started by some ex-FoH scrub members. Most of the people in that guild were talentless assholes.

Classic EQ was never much about talent, if we want to be realistic, its about dedication, organization and sheer numbers.

Tanthallas
09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
P1999 is far more about sheer numbers than classic EQ was.

Ferok
09-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Is everyone forgetting about the infamous exploiters known as Conquest? Clever use of mechanics I say.

They were a force, but were gone from the game too quickly for most to recognize as an elite guild (outside of the Lanys T'Vyl server).

They made a comeback in PoP, even got the original characters that were banned reinstated. I apped/raided with their comeback crew, and burned out very quickly. Definitely a hardcore bunch.

I believe they went on to be some kind of world-first-getting guild in DAoC.

Grafh
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Elderan is right, Furor was an awesome GL, just had to knew him. I was with foh also, first shaman to 50 on live (Raganork) than switched to my warrior (Strifei) for kunark, what a blast that was!

Xadion
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Elderan is right, Furor was an awesome GL, just had to knew him. I was with foh also, first shaman to 50 on live (Raganork) than switched to my warrior (Strifei) for kunark, what a blast that was!

<3 raganork best shaman evah yo

veeshan 4 life

Elderan
09-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Hey Rag long time no see.. You playing in P99?

Grafh
09-19-2012, 11:31 AM
started a few weeks ago, Grafh lvl 13 troll SK!

Picked
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Everything you searched for on the internet sites for gear, or monsters, had FoH tags on it. They were almost always the first guild to report some loot, or a named or the first to kill them.

I was also on the same live server as Afterlife and in my guild we had a couple of their members back in our guilds raiding hay day. They were obviously misfits and got booted from Afterlife and how they ended up burdening us I will never know.

When you are first to do everything in a vast new world where everyone is researching you and trying to keep up pace you begin to make a name for yourself. Some people on P99 think they are mighty important. But try being the first to do something. No walk throughs just dialogue from one NPC to the next. Sure sometimes the quest dialogue tells you where to go, but for stuff like the Staff of Wheel quest...who in their right mind would swim all over the ocean floor outside Erudin for 782 hours looking for a ground spawn?

Cippofra
09-19-2012, 07:26 PM
I played on veeshan when I first started (which was shortly after beta ended) and remember them having quite the reputation. I don't know when afterlife came around, but at least in the beginning it seemed like FoH wasn't just the best uber guild in the game, it seemed like they invented the concept of an uber guild. I never even heard the name afterlife until a year or two into playing. These guys took, and still take gaming quite seriously. If you visit their website and look at what the requirements are to join it's pretty crazy. Definitely only for the most dedicated.

Kahlia
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Back in the day, the ubers were a pretty big deal, I'd say. I remember checking their websites when I was a newb and reading about all the things they'd seen and done. Just about every one knew who they were.

Having seen it from the other side of the fence, organization and leadership in those guilds was significantly ahead of the competition, hence why they were able to achieve what they did.

I'd say Triton probably had the funniest updates, along with Legacy of Steel ("We know Drama" post being the best). FoH usually had the best rants. Afterlife never really had any aggressive posts, as Biny was a young guy and if you'd met him IRL you'd see he just wasn't that sort of person.

Kahlia
09-20-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't know when afterlife came around, but at least in the beginning it seemed like FoH wasn't just the best uber guild in the game, it seemed like they invented the concept of an uber guild. I never even heard the name afterlife until a year or two into playing.

Afterlife dates back to vanilla. They formed during the Vox/Naggy days. If nothing else, you guys should know them as the inventors of the DKP system.

Swish
09-20-2012, 07:13 PM
And what does that have to do with DAOC? I think you might have the worst reading comprehension of anyone on these forums.

And DKP is a terrible system. What a legacy.

You never say anything nice :(

Lilya
09-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Realm of Insanity !!

Lacuna

Picked
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Zaar was the GL of Triton. I still remember being like level 9 in North Ro and seeing him chillin with Brunar Rankin. Triton had A+ site updates for sure, I was in awe of that guild. But then again I was like 13 or 14.

Loved their website videos and things. They had some pretty comical stuff. I went there to check out stuff when the servers would go down during times I played.

falkun
09-21-2012, 07:42 AM
You may not use them for kills posts, but Elitist Jerks is a guild and pretty much THE theory-crafting forum for every class. There's also a few guilds that put out prominent guides on bosses back when I was still playing. The focus also shifted over to blogs by individuals as opposed to guild websites. I followed a few paladin blogs for holy and protection theory-craft and also a few warlock ones (although Cynwise's blog is usually more PVP oriented than warlock oriented).

Aicha
09-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Of course the most enjoyable update/frontpage was Legacy of Steel with Tigole.

We Know Drama (TM)

Yah. LOL I used to visit the LOS web site regularly for giggles. Best site ever.

Aicha
09-21-2012, 12:19 PM
FOH was a big deal if you were a hardcore EQer.

I was a server guide on Veeshan for a while, dealt with FoH quite a bit. Most were cool, rest were a bunch of whining pooheads.

Hailto
09-22-2012, 03:44 AM
And what does that have to do with DAOC? I think you might have the worst reading comprehension of anyone on these forums.

I just always skim your posts because you're a tool.

Belz
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM

<Afterlife>

Hagglebaron
09-22-2012, 04:25 PM
You never say anything nice :(

LOL Swish what the hell is that gif, I can't fucking stop laughing

SamwiseBanned
09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
never heard of em. conquest more recognized imo because of sweet video and controversial gm intervention.

Valiant
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Realm of Insanity !!

Lacuna

was good times indeed

Hailto
09-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Ah, the "I'm not an idiot, I'm just too cool to read things" excuse.

Certainly not cool enough to have a gif of Emma Watson blowing a kiss to feel like i've had female contact. You got me.

Grahm
09-23-2012, 05:35 AM
SHES FUCKING SMOKING A JOINT AND PASSING IT.

RAGE:mad:

Knightt
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
and another thread where you suck bro delete your account and go play on red server

Maxium
09-23-2012, 11:30 PM
We were. We raided our asses off, but slaughtered everything (except Earth Council until they "fixed" it).

I miss Behemoth =(

Huggz
09-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Reikerz: confirmed forum douchetard.

Raavak
09-24-2012, 02:14 PM
But back to your comparison...does Inny's curse allow for bashing the same way FD does?
Yes it does. Inkies rejoice.

Duckwalk
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
The best thing about FoH was their feud with one of the other "uber" guilds on Veeshan server, Celestial Tomb, and the massive fallout over the forums from their competition.

Specifically, after the buff to CT, Celestial Tomb organized one night to kill him. FoH had kept him on lockdown for while and Celestial Tomb finally got their chance.

However, a necro in FoH had an Iksar Monk alt that was fairly well known on the server. Iksars worship Cazic Thule which made him non-kos to the actual god Cazic Thule in Plane of Fear. What he did was stroll right up to Cazic and hand him a velium swiftblade and a glowing black sword.

This combination gave Cazic 36% haste and the ability to constantly dispel enemy debuffs on him. When Celestial Tomb rolled in to attempt a Cazic kill later they were greeted with what became known on the server as MechaCazic. Celestial Tomb exploded on impact and the resulting flamewar on the messages boards was legandary.

Thank you FoH.

Tarathiel
09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
who?

Cippofra
09-25-2012, 03:46 PM
As I remember it celestial tomb was a joke. A giant zerg raid guild with no skill. Just used massive numbers to complete raids foh could breeze through

Arclanz
09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Server first is big, world first is much larger...
http://www.afterlifeguild.org/template.cgi?page=index_jun_dec00

And it keeps going. FoH had EQ-firsts, but by no means were they utterly dominating their competition.

Quoting a post from July, I know. Agreed; Afterlife was always the premier raiding guild in my eyes. Heard of FoH, Shock of Swords, Legacy of Steel, too, but at the time I thought AL was king. I mean, their GL won server-wide BotB.

Elderan
09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Quoting a post from July, I know. Agreed; Afterlife was always the premier raiding guild in my eyes. Heard of FoH, Shock of Swords, Legacy of Steel, too, but at the time I thought AL was king. I mean, their GL won server-wide BotB.

BotB tournaments dont mean jack when it comes to running and then raid leading a guild.

Duckwalk
09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I remember Celestial Tomb being a joke also but they drama they created was priceless.

Artah
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM

http://www.********.org/archive.php?page=45

I'm not sure but I think TMO either beat the stronghold of the twelve first before FoH or shortly after it was fixed, same with many encounters through the expansions. AL/FoH was good but TMO wasn't too far behind.