PDA

View Full Version : World server not responding to logins

Anathuril
07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Last time this happened, population on blue went almost to zero while logins would not be accepted on the blue server. The problem also seems to screw up the client so that it has to be restarted before attempting another login, but this client side behavior might be unrelated.

This is apparently not a problem with the login server, since I can get the character screen without problem on the EZ Server. Furthermore, I just realized that I was disconnected during a zone change on both occasions now - I suspect the problem must be in code that is used for zone changes as well as login attempts (i.e. zone connection).

So, the blue server in this case (again) needs to be restarted, or the pop will again continue to decline.

The server shows as up, but when login is attempted, the character select screen never comes up. After a while, the login screen reappears.

Hollywood
07-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi Anathuril,

Login server is fine, Blue is not.

A known problem for quite a while now.

We've all made good and useful suggestions on how to go about either addressing the issue when it arises(i.e. not having to wait six hours until an admin notices a problem) or the cause of the issue itself.

Anathuril
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Greetings Hollywood -
Yes - that is what I said - login server fine, blue (world) server is down.

I think this is a bug in the zone entry code, which would explain the reason for the slowly declining population and the timing of when I get knocked off and the failure is occurring. Smacks of a resource allocation problem - like someone not checking return of a malloc and/or leaking memory. Seen plenty of those in my programming days.

So - are you telling me there is no forum or thread that developers/maintainers watch for people reporting servers going down like this? I guess I could post something in the technical discussion area ...

Clark
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
freakin kidding me it's a Holiday get this shit fixed..

Crug
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
My launcher can't even connect to the world server list.

Speedbhump Soupcan
07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
freakin kidding me it's a Holiday get this shit fixed..

really? i cant get mad for a project which is basically volunteer work. shit i remember server issues all the time in classic. they should just make it so when that happens raid targets repop to fix the whole variance issue.

Fnar
07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
really? i cant get mad for a project which is basically volunteer work. shit i remember server issues all the time in classic. they should just make it so when that happens raid targets repop to fix the whole variance issue.

Good idea is great! :D But yes, waiting patiently to log in myself. lol

Clark
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM

worked the last 8 of 9 days and had long ass power outage just shitty timing isn't big deal

Uaellaen
07-04-2012, 12:55 PM
its a DDoS attack