PDA

View Full Version : IP Exemptions???

DJrmb
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I am trying to be patient, I really am but going on 4 months and I am still waiting for an ip exemption? Has my request been denied or something? Can I get an update please? There are so many rules. Don't bump your thread, don't petition in game, don't send PM's, what can we do??? It feels like so much of a hassle to get a simple ip exempt so I can play a game with my roommate. You guys are letting your fear of stupid people two-boxing ruin the experience of people that want to play your game and that could bring multiple friends with them... If it's so much of a hassle and you just don't want to do it then don't offer damned ip exemptions at all. Just tell us upfront that you're too scared of two-boxers to let people play with the same ip. If you are going to offer the service THEN FULLFIL THE REQUESTS WHEN YOU SAY YOU WILL! Your own documentation says 2 weeks. I realize this is a free server, and I am very grateful for all you guys do however how do you expect your server to grow and continue on if people can't even play with there friends or family? I don't have a phone I can tether so I can play and I don't want to play by myself. My roommate and I simply want to play together and group. Now his progress has been held up for 4 months. What is the deal can I please get some answer???

Danyelle
07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I am trying to be patient, I really am but going on 4 months and I am still waiting for an ip exemption? Has my request been denied or something? Can I get an update please? There are so many rules. Don't bump your thread, don't petition in game, don't send PM's, what can we do??? It feels like so much of a hassle to get a simple ip exempt so I can play a game with my roommate. You guys are letting your fear of stupid people two-boxing ruin the experience of people that want to play your game and that could bring multiple friends with them... If it's so much of a hassle and you just don't want to do it then don't offer damned ip exemptions at all. Just tell us upfront that you're too scared of two-boxers to let people play with the same ip. If you are going to offer the service THEN FULLFIL THE REQUESTS WHEN YOU SAY YOU WILL! Your own documentation says 2 weeks. I realize this is a free server, and I am very grateful for all you guys do however how do you expect your server to grow and continue on if people can't even play with there friends or family? I don't have a phone I can tether so I can play and I don't want to play by myself. My roommate and I simply want to play together and group. Now his progress has been held up for 4 months. What is the deal can I please get some answer???

This is exactly what I've been talking about.....

To answer your question though, it's, sadly, normal. All you can do is keep waiting.

Austrianna
07-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Too bad you guys don't have an open wireless network one of you could hop onto.

Rayzn
07-05-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm with you I've been waiting over 2 months myself.

Vladesch
07-05-2012, 03:17 AM
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1089-sharing-internet-connection-using-bridge-mode

Vladigan
07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1089-sharing-internet-connection-using-bridge-mode

Dont think this will work since I believe the IP block would be on your "router", not the individual IP's it assigns to network PCs

Romantic
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
that whole "it's a free server so it's okay" excuse is actually a load of shit. they have a responsibility to a HUGE community. this isn't a 40 person emulated server. people give money to these folks to keep the server up and running and the gms that are "hired" to take care of things like these are fucking incompetent. seriously whoever handles petition/exploit is a fucking moron.

casdegere
07-05-2012, 10:31 AM
that whole "it's a free server so it's okay" excuse is actually a load of shit. they have a responsibility to a HUGE community. this isn't a 40 person emulated server. people give money to these folks to keep the server up and running and the gms that are "hired" to take care of things like these are fucking incompetent. seriously whoever handles petition/exploit is a fucking moron.

Hmm, I think you might wish to check the forum rules again. "You know nothing John Snow."-Egret

Faywind
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM

The devs don't owe you anything...be patient or STFU.

Romantic
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
because all gms are devs

maahes
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM

I have tried to stress the fact to the community the importance of granting the exemption in a timly maner, but I do not know if anyone has listened. Other than the trolls. Sometimes I do think that the trolls controll the server.

I say please keep making posts like these! I encourage everyone to voice their opinion and emotions about issues like this.

maahes
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Dont think this will work since I believe the IP block would be on your "router", not the individual IP's it assigns to network PCs

I didn't read the URL you posted, but commenting on your statement above. The "server" will only know your router's IP. (External IP). The IP that is assigned to you by your ISP. (keeping it simple).

maahes
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I should almost just make a guide on how to initally get past the IP exemption requirement. I'll say it again here though.

Tether cell phone. WiFi or USB tether will work. EQ uses UDP, double check UDP is enabled on the software you use to tether. I have found some only support TCP/IP or have UDP turned off by default.

Find open WiFi in your area.

Call up your ISP and request another IP. Once they give you this IP, this takes moments to setup. Although 99% of the time this will cost you extra per month.

Find a free proxy with 99% rating in up time. (This is not always easy and can take some digging.) Or pay for one, easy to find using google.

Setup a proxy at friends/family house and drive yoru traffic through there.

If this question continues to come up, and there doesn't seem to be any action being taken from the staff to correct it. I will write a guide.

Good luck guys! The server is great. (board is full of trolls who don't play). Please come play with us and make this server better than it already is! WE NEED YOU!!!!!! The SERVER NEEDS YOU!!!!!!!!

Aryllyian
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I have been waiting for an IP exemption as well. I would love to play this game with my wife. Perhaps we can get a response soon as to what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Vladesch
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I didn't read the URL you posted, but commenting on your statement above. The "server" will only know your router's IP. (External IP). The IP that is assigned to you by your ISP. (keeping it simple).

you need to read the url, or about "bridged mode" in general.
what you are describing is non-bridged mode. (which 99% of people use)

much better than screwing around with wifi or proxies.
all you need is an isp that takes multiple logons.

DJrmb
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
to the person that said to be patient, how long does one have to wait to be ''patient''??? Is waiting 4 months for something that has been said to be finished in 2 weeks without a peep not ''patient''??? With your logic all fund raisers for charity should have an open ended time table to deliver the money they raise, because those people are donating their time and skills, and ''they don't owe anyone anything''. Man, I wanna start a charity fund under your rules LOL, you all give me money and I'll get back to you sometime before I die...

Galelor
07-06-2012, 10:19 AM

I honestly can't imagine wanting to play her after the wait you have endured. I am shocked that you haven't gone to EQMac, Shards of Dalaya, etc. This type of unresponsiveness will cause us to loss players on this server.

Score 1 for the allow boxing argument?

maahes
07-06-2012, 10:26 AM
The devs don't owe you anything...be patient or STFU.

Don't listen to these dumb asses! They are all TROLLS!

Yes it is crazy that the Dev/Gms have no granted IP exemptions in 4 months. Please KEEP POSTING HERE AND EVERYWHERE with your stories. Sitting and doing nothing clearly hasn't worked for months.

maahes
07-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I really don't know how to respond to this lol. What your speak of is multiple IPs from your ISP. Bridged mode is extremely unnecessary.

Vladigan
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Bridging in networks is a method to take multiple networks or segments and combine them into one. You still have to have a Global IP for accessing the internet, and you will still have one router or PC acting as DHCP assigning individual IPs for the network... this will not bypass the IP block for p99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridging_(networking)

If you think I am wrong, you may want to supply some documentations or examples to prove your hypothesis.

Edit** To add. What you are describing in your last post is multiple IP assignment from your ISP which is not bridging, and typically costs extra per month.

fadetree
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
You are not wrong, bridge all you want and you'll still get the router WAN IP source as your packets leave for the interwebz.

Aryllyian
07-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I will ask this question another way. Are IP exemptions no longer being given? I would like someone to tell me what to expect. If it cannot or will not be done then just please let us know. No pressure, just information so we can decide how to proceed going forward. Thanks so much for running this game. It is alot of fun.

DJrmb
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I will ask this question another way. Are IP exemptions no longer being given? I would like someone to tell me what to expect. If it cannot or will not be done then just please let us know. No pressure, just information so we can decide how to proceed going forward. Thanks so much for running this game. It is alot of fun.

I think this is partially what I was originally trying to say.

If you are not going to give out IP Exemptions at all that is fine. It's your prerogative. Just don't offer it then. Let us know up front so we don't waste our time hoping and waiting...

If you are going to offer IP exempts you MUST communicate with people. If you set a time frame, meet that time frame. If it's going to be longer, let us know. If you decide for whatever reason not to grant an IP exemption tell us (and a reason why would be nice but I'd settle for just a "No" at this point)

To be honest with you, the whole IP block seems to have caused more trouble then its worth. You still have people two-boxing even with your harsh penalties and IP blocking. Why not just open it up? Then you could focus your effort on finding and banning two-boxers since you're so worried about them, rather then having to waste resources on going through tons of IP Exemptions and STILL have to spend time searching out and banning two-boxers.

brianvp
07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Not only banning two-boxers, but banning people who have exemptions but really aren't two boxing, and monitoring people who have the IP exemptions is a a very large chunk of Amelinda's pie. But 4 months for exemption? Damn, just give it to him, watch him if need be, but damn. 2 boxing being contrary to the server is understood, although it's not a pvp server, and if the population dwindles more, then 2 boxing would be the only way to raid competitively. Looks like the double xp weekend along with those suspensions, and Red99 tanking brought our pop back to near 500 again from 300ish a month ago. Velious beta would also really be nice for those who're on the fence.

CaptArr
07-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Well I sent in my IP exemption about a week ago so my gf and I could play. We've been kinda looking forward to the two week point, but with all this talk it seems pointless and that kinda sucks, but I hope it's just some rare cases of just getting missed sometimes... *crosses fingers*

We both played early on I started june 99 and she was playing around late 2000 I think, and we never played together yet met on EQ2, stopped playing that a long time ago... We both missed the classic EQ so this is totally up our alley

DJrmb
07-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm glad someone made this thread for the 4,000th time.

Well when something gets done about it maybe these threads will stop... hmm, what a concept

Amelinda
07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
It is impossible for you to have been waiting for 4 months unless one of the following things are true:

1. You bump or have bumped your IP exemption post. NEVER EVER EVER bump an ip exemption post. I ALWAYS work these from the end of the ip exemption queue to the beginning.

2. You chose the wrong drop down and did not choose "IP EXEMPTION" to tag your post with....because that's the only way i even look at them.

and yeah...i'm behind....I have a family and other things to do also....AND some of the systems I needed to complete them were down for a while.

Not my fault.

You wanna get combative there mr "Romantic" and call me an idiot then go for it. I'll be sure to remember that.

ALSO....

It never ceases to amaze me how the number of 2 boxers I catch increases SIGNIFICANTLY after I approve IP Exemptions (And don't put your bs here about how my system is wrong or i'm too stupid to tell someone is 2-boxing......you can save it.)

Prove me wrong this time. I should be working on some ip exemptions tonight. Depends on my real life. My real life comes before the server. SRY.

Amelinda
07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
and yes. ip exemptions are still being given.

but hi. i'm one person and there are THOUSANDS OF POSTS IN THE PETITION/EXPLOIT section.

If you think i sit around being lazy and ignore the server...you are wrong.