PDA

View Full Version : Classes in demand

yage
07-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Hi guys
I tried to start up on P99 a few years back but IRL got in the way.

I'm installing Titanium as we speak and hope to be online later tonight. Since the release of Kunark, what is the class distribution like?
I played a monk mostly, as well as ranger and rogue. Played a little bit of bard and always wanted to level one so I'm thinking bard will be my primary with a twinked monk as an alt.

How difficult are groups to come by as either a monk or bard these days? Also considering an enchanter.

Cheers

Supaskillz
07-13-2012, 04:17 AM
my guild at least has a shortage of enchanters. Enchanters also enjoy being both great in groups and great soloers.

monks and bards great choices too

webrunner5
07-13-2012, 05:31 AM
This kind of post comes up about twice a week. Glad to see you here.

Like about every thread ends up, play what you like. Whatever race you want, etc. You are the person that has to play it. Not your "Guild". Trust me it will take you hours and hours and hours to get just to level 50. You want to play a toon that you really don't like because it is scarce?

Make what you think will be a fun toon and stick with that one. Don't make 7 alts and bounce back and forth for at least awhile. Velious is coming out soon and you will wish you had a toon at least in the 40's for that. Good luck.

runlvlzero
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
If you wan't to be in demand and loved, play a cleric, druid, or enchanter. Group as much as you can instead of soling. And you will be loved by your groupmates. You will get genuine appreciation =) I just recently got a toon to level 12. And there's plenty of melee chars. Anyone can duo or trio, but a good healer is a good cornerstone to a group. I mention enchanters, because there are so few at the low-mid range. No reason, other then I think the class is just not for everyone, it works well though.

Of course if you love playing a certain class like the last guy said... by all means start that class up if you miss it. You'll have a blast playing it all over gain.

Namegen_Isterrible
07-13-2012, 12:08 PM
wan't

Nirgon
07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Clerics and enchanters GG.

Duo that if you got a pal and just win everything in the game.

godbox
07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
honestly the classes i have a hard time finding lately are as follows:
rogues
monks that didnt obviously buy the account in last 2 weeks. ("sorry I don't carry bandages")
ench
tanks

bulbousaur
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Druids are fun, and a good money class, but as far as demand 50+ they aren't much wanted. Weak heals and dps. In fact, my druid has been refused groups that had openings because he "didn't bring anything to the table." =(

Ele
07-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Bard, Cleric, Enchanter

Snagglepuss
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
^ Never seems to be enough healers or crowd control.

runlvlzero
07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Druids are fun, and a good money class, but as far as demand 50+ they aren't much wanted. Weak heals and dps. In fact, my druid has been refused groups that had openings because he "didn't bring anything to the table." =(

You need friends =/ thats sad, but people are entittled to their opinion. I'm sure I wouldn't turn you away over that. I think they might have thought that was more polite then "No, I just don't want your company right now" some times people have a hard time with the simple truths and make excuses like that.

Glorindale
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
There will be one more Chanter on the server when Rogean finds time to resolve my petition. However, I am not holding my breath.

LordFresh
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Velious is coming out soon and you will wish you had a toon at least in the 40's for that. Good luck.

I LOLd hard.

yage
07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Might give enchanter a stab. cheers for the input all

Thedonn
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
^ Never seems to be enough healers or crowd control.

Could be in some small part due to some players and groups don't understand their end of CC and healing?

I almost never see a tank or some self appointed DPS-master-of-the-universe melting faces stop, turn off auto attack long before 50-60% health, and take a few old fashioned punches to the head before running away like a frightened child from the angry mob to let someone else gain agro for a few so the healer can lay a huge heal to get them back in the fight without dumping three quarters of their hate list onto the poor healer. I very rarely see groups establish a MT / MA. I see most rogues, wizards and enchanters use their biggest DD, strongest attacks and most agro-grabbing CC spells within the first 20% of the mobs health, causing tank to lose agro, and healer having to spend more mana on healing the squishy DPS madman in the group etc as he or she runs around screaming ahhhh not in the face, get it off me, get it off me! and the healer spends all their time on their ass trying to regain mana but the DPS-master keeps repeating the procedure every few pulls... you get the picture.

There's lots of things we can all do to make other classes lives easier in group and maybe we'd see more of them around? Not saying it will solve the problem, end world hunger and find lost kittens... but it might help a little if we all help others in our groups understand how to make the healer n CC lives better and less stressful to play when we see people doing really stupid shit in groups.

Portsche
07-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Bard, Cleric, Enchanter

This.

There are more monks than anyone knows what to do with.

But as has been said, play what you enjoy.

k2summit
07-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Roll a ranger and never look back.

http://supertotallyawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/images1.jpg

Tasslehofp99
07-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Typical newbie group leader, imo.
Parsing my druids DPS against any other melee dps class shows that I regularly put out more damage in a single fight. Granted druids cant keep up that kind of DPS throughout extended fights or for chain pulling groups, they add many things to the table. Spot heals can sometimes make or break a group, and druid buffs are great for higher end dungeons. I honestly cant think of a better class for an enc/mage/necro to duo with then a druid, their snare/root makes things insanely easy. I've also CC'd almost any camp in the 50-60 range currently in game on p99. So, I mean a good druid can do lots with the right group make up and also can push/enable/make it easier for other classes to reach their full potential in groups.

Personally I think druids who know how to play their class can bring just as much to a group as any other class. Anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant. Its pretty much the facts that druids are not completely NECESSARY for a groups survival and that druids can solo 1-60 in a few weeks that you rarely see them grouping.

coki
07-13-2012, 08:06 PM
I dont see very many Wizards , ench , bard , ranger beastlords or beserkers compared to the other classes

but the best mage pet (not epic) can do almost as much dps as a decent geared ranger, so theres not very many fora reason

Datheth
07-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Roll a ranger and never look back.

http://supertotallyawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/images1.jpg

lol

Tasslehofp99
07-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Could be in some small part due to some players and groups don't understand their end of CC and healing?

I almost never see a tank or some self appointed DPS-master-of-the-universe melting faces stop, turn off auto attack long before 50-60% health, and take a few old fashioned punches to the head before running away like a frightened child from the angry mob to let someone else gain agro for a few so the healer can lay a huge heal to get them back in the fight without dumping three quarters of their hate list onto the poor healer. I very rarely see groups establish a MT / MA. I see most rogues, wizards and enchanters use their biggest DD, strongest attacks and most agro-grabbing CC spells within the first 20% of the mobs health, causing tank to lose agro, and healer having to spend more mana on healing the squishy DPS madman in the group etc as he or she runs around screaming ahhhh not in the face, get it off me, get it off me! and the healer spends all their time on their ass trying to regain mana but the DPS-master keeps repeating the procedure every few pulls... you get the picture.

There's lots of things we can all do to make other classes lives easier in group and maybe we'd see more of them around? Not saying it will solve the problem, end world hunger and find lost kittens... but it might help a little if we all help others in our groups understand how to make the healer n CC lives better and less stressful to play when we see people doing really stupid shit in groups.

This is where I feel druids fit into groups with backup/spot heals, roots/snares, resist buffs/regen/ds and Evac's if all else fails.

Ele
07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I dont see very many Wizards , ench , bard , ranger beastlords or beserkers compared to the other classes

but the best mage pet (not epic) can do almost as much dps as a decent geared ranger, so theres not very many fora reason

I've never seen a beastlord or beserker, I wonder what happened to all of them :confused:

Cecily
07-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't have time to wait past 99% to backstab. Have things to do.

Splorf22
07-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Typical newbie group leader, imo.
Parsing my druids DPS against any other melee dps class shows that I regularly put out more damage in a single fight. Granted druids cant keep up that kind of DPS throughout extended fights or for chain pulling groups, they add many things to the table. Spot heals can sometimes make or break a group, and druid buffs are great for higher end dungeons. I honestly cant think of a better class for an enc/mage/necro to duo with then a druid, their snare/root makes things insanely easy. I've also CC'd almost any camp in the 50-60 range currently in game on p99. So, I mean a good druid can do lots with the right group make up and also can push/enable/make it easier for other classes to reach their full potential in groups.

Personally I think druids who know how to play their class can bring just as much to a group as any other class. Anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant. Its pretty much the facts that druids are not completely NECESSARY for a groups survival and that druids can solo 1-60 in a few weeks that you rarely see them grouping.

Not to rain on your Druid parade, but the best duo partner for an enchanter is another enchanter (for under L55 mobs) or a shaman (L55+ mobs) with clerics doing pretty well as well. As far as enchanter duo partners go I'd put the Druid in a tie for 5th with Magician and ahead of Necro.

Still on the whole I agree that Druids are underrated, and its a class that I always wanted to play around with. Just group regen is going to save the cleric a ton of mana and allow him to concentrate on the MT, snare is great now, evac is always nice to have, damage shields are efficient, backup CC and heals, and some dps. The problem with this is that in theory a good group doesn't need these, i.e. they don't need regen/spot heals because the enchanter/MT are just that good, or evac because they are owning the content so hard, or even snare because the charmed pet kills so fast. Of course, in theory theory and practice are the same and in practice they aren't.

Part of the problem is that the Kunark level grind is just so bad from 51-60 that people feel the need to min/max. On my second char to 60, I made a point to just group with whoever. My last group had an iksar warrior (me), ranger, and a wizard in it and we still did OK. But its just a fact that replacing us with ogre warrior/rogue/rogue = faster leveling for all.