PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of playing again

Maxium
07-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Played for awhile over a year ago. I saw on the home page there's about 239 people online around peek hours. When I quit it was like 1000+

Is it worth reloading and playing again? Or are groups really a pain in the neck to find?

Telron
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
its like 500+ peak hours generally. The servers crashed like 30 min ago. hehe. some zones still are not up yet. You should definitely play! and bring friends.

Snagglepuss
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
It was around 1000 peak when I took a break. It was pretty bad a month ago, but it seems to have stabilized around 500 peak. Gauging from talk on the server, I imagine Velious will double the popluation.

Maxium
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I see...

I have a 51 mage and an 11 warrior (who's decked out except for Mith arms).

Was interested in playing either. Was a warrior back in the day. But melee classes are so dependent on groups. Was curious if it was not worth it to even try to play him.

Thanks for the input! I'll think about it.

Maxium
07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Oh, and is that whole guild drama b*tchfest still going on? Or are there enough chill ones to join still?

Malevz
07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
seems to be pretty easy to get a group since I started on server

Kers
07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
D3 ruined the population... but since d3 sucks and people are figuring that out, server pop is coming back

Artah
07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Oh, and is that whole guild drama b*tchfest still going on? Or are there enough chill ones to join still?

There is a few chill ones to join. come on back and check it our for yourself!

Striiker
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd suggest playing your warrior if you like melee. Warriors are always great to have. I think you went about it correctly by leveling up a class capable of farming to get your warrior geared up. You should be able to find groups in the usual places as you level up. I see people constantly in places like Oasis, Unrest, Mistmoore, SolB, etc... Some times you need to take the initiative and get a group going, other times, you can luck out and get an invite when LFG is up.
The guild scene I think has settled down a lot. Yes, there are still some issues but generally I find that the guilds are pretty decent towards each other and it continues to improve. I'd say get into a casual guild to get some raiding time in and then play your alt when you wish to. It's great to be able to experience both aspects of the game. It's all about having fun.

bluejam
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
It was around 1000 peak when I took a break. It was pretty bad a month ago, but it seems to have stabilized around 500 peak. Gauging from talk on the server, I imagine Velious will double the popluation.
Many people moved on, so I don't think so.

Slave
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Many people moved on, so I don't think so.

Oh, it will. Easily. Velious is what most people here have been waiting for. Kunark and Velious together comprise the best expansions probably ever made for a video game, and I'm including every other genre out there. Eat it, LoD!

Snagglepuss
07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't think you can move on from a 13 year old game. That's why this server exists- because people can't.

Telron
07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't think you can move on from a 13 year old game. That's why this server exists- because people can't.

So true. And that's what makes me smile every time I log back in.

Striiker
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM

I think we keep logging on because it was the first 3D MMORPG which set a high standard and it was tough and challenging. Eventually the game degraded into catering to the masses who wanted an easier place to play and the game lost its soul. Up until I had found P1999, I could never really get into the new games which came out. I never tried WOW because I disliked the look of it and the creatures were not to my liking (EQ was close to D&D in terms of creatures and classes). I wasn't that interested in soloing and could never get into solo games where it was me vs. the computer. I played live from launch for several years and would return from time to time but I never liked what it had become. My old favorite starting zones were barren and the game had changed in the wrong ways.
P1999 has allowed us to relive the glory years of EQ and has provided new players with a challenging game to experience for the first time. So, you are right, people can't move on because there's no place to move on to..

Maxium
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I played EQ for about 8 years, and quit a year after PoP ended I think. I just like the difficulty of the game. If you ran into a max level character, it was a much higher chance the person actually knew how to play and navigate the world.

In new games, people ask where to go to get to a certain spot, when it's in huge bold letters on their map. -.-

I'm all for the difficulty, I remember most of the world and raid encounters. But you have to actually have people to play with, so that's why I wanted to ask and make sure. =)

My character names are Gades (51 Mage) and Maxium (11 Warrior) if anyone ever wants to group.

Snagglepuss
07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I agree that a lot of the population base has dispersed because they grew tired of the current content / raid scene, but you can't tell me that they won't come back when there is fresh loot and old friends when winter comes?

I remember taking breaks when I played on live because stuff got old. A lot of cool games were release this last quarter / summer too. Velious will be the answer that Kunark was before.

Telron
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey Maxium I saw you in game haha. Welcome back!

Houdiny
07-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Summer was always a big down time in numbers as I recall. Every year we went through problems where we barely had enough to raid, then when school kicked off and winter came around there was too many people and a lot had to sit out.

The games population isn't an enormous amount of people, but it is still thriving. 500 people on at peak hours is plenty of people to carry a server let alone when more come back.

I wouldn't let the population worry ya. Just play it because you enjoy it and have fun with it.

Maxium
07-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks Telron =)

theaetatus
07-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Don't worry about finding groups... I've been playing here about a month now and there are always groups in the lower level ranges, from EC orcs through Crushbone, Blackburrow, NRo, Oasis, Unrest, Guk, Mistmoore, HHK...