PDA

View Full Version : New player question

Mahulk
07-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Been playing eq emu servers left and right and for some reason (time constraints mostly) never really tried Project 1999. Lately I have been returning to the live servers on the test server to enjoy again the game, but with all the changes in the game (PoK books, new twink gear, quests everywhere) its not the same. I guess Project 1999 is the only option to relive the original experience.

The last week I tried some classes and just could not get anywhere. Been busy doing /who commands also to try and see what the mid game would be like... are there groups going at all in the 15-40 range? I certainly dont see a lot of people and I assume a lot of them are spread soloing with twink gear...

I barely have the time to play and it really looks grim from my perspective. Are there any plans to lessen the entry barrier with the server moving deeper in content? If only to counter the leaving players at endgame. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, given how the project mimic the original game so closely, but had to ask before throwing the towel.

For the record, I played EQ from Kunark to early Gates of Discord in a raiding guild most of that time. Boy do we humans forget the painful road and only remember the happy ends...

Vermicelli
07-20-2012, 01:57 AM
What times are you able to play? From 4PM CST to 10PM are pretty good for groups. I know it sux to have to hunt where others want to hunt, but it's easiest to get groups in popular zones such as Unrest, Mistmoore, Lake of Ill Omen, and the Guks. It's all about pre-planning your session when you don't have lots of time to play. My best advice is to get into a guild because you then have a world-wide channel in which to find groups built of people you are familiar with. Full Circle is recruiting all lowbies, and I like the members that I have bumped into =)

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75084

Mahulk
07-20-2012, 02:04 AM
I play very late (working night shift). Usually 11pm to 4-5am EST when not working (2 days off every 4 days). It's really hard to have a schedule with that and my friends are not interrested at all at reliving the early MMO age. Might have to level a soloing class (necro comes to mind). Played a warrior most of my life, but they are so group dependant, not gonna relive my FFXI dragoon days of being LFG for hours.

The thing is im mostly interested in the late game (not necessarely endgame), but I can't picture myself grinding all the way there. I'm prolly just not the kind of person the server tries to satisfy I guess. Wish there was a instant 40 or accelerated experience for early levels server with Project 1999 content =P

Sebastionleo
07-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Groups are good, but honestly if you pick a char that is good at duoing with another char and find a duo partner, that can work out really well. I'm a 15 necro and I spent 12-15 duoing sisters in LFay with an enchanter for awesome plat and solid exp.

LiQuid
07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
my FFXI dragoon days of being LFG for hours.

You just described 80% of my time with FFXI. :(

Group activity in the game is healthy, especially with the recent population resurgence but you play at pretty awful hours, so the more self reliant you can be the better. I'd like to make a biased recommendation that you try a Shaman. They're so good at a lot of things, really useful in a duo with most melee classes and really useful in a group as well. There are very few situations where you won't be able to have something to contribute.

Mahulk
07-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Really torn here. Soloing, group purpose, raids perhaps some day. Giving my playtime, necro seems like the obvious choice. But class population is high while they usefulness isn't anywhere near some other classes (cleric, enchanter for instance). I would love to play a more useful class, but leveling is so slow there is no way I'm leveling two.

The ideal scenario would be to get an already leveled character, but thats like wishing to win the lottery... won't happen.

Leveled my necromancer from level 3 to level 5 in 5 hours or so tonight. This will be a super long trek, but acheiving it will be super good feeling. The day I completed my warrior epic (late during velious, so replaced it within weeks/months) is still the best feeling I had in MMO. I remember seeing people walk with lightsabers (with particle off even) and saying to my friends one day I would weild them (they laughed at me, being more seasoned players they vaguely knew the effort needed to complete an epic).

Mahulk
07-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Necro
Pros: Best solo. Nice dps for groups and raids. Nice utility (FD, Rez, Twitch)
Con: Most played class? Definately a lot of them running around.

Shaman
Pros: Decent solo. Highly desirable in groups and raids (well one at least =P), Most exploitable mechanisms (Fungi + Iksar regen + Regrowth = endless mana, slow really turns a fight around).
Con: Kinda boring.

Enchanter
Pros: Good soloing, sounds like tons of fun to charm farm too. Highly desirable.
Con: ... ?

Striiker
07-20-2012, 10:49 AM
You may want to start on a class which tends to not be too gear dependent and which you can use to farm up some stuff to sell or use for your preferred melee class (like a warrior). This want, you're planning ahead. Later on, once you have leveled up the solo-capable class, you can twink a warrior or whatever you want.
I think that necros are the best solo class as they are quite self reliant. People all have opinions around which class is best. If you want a solo class which is also in demand later, then the Enchanter is a good choice.
I obviously have a bias towards enchanters as I play one as my main. It is a very challenging class to play well and you'll constantly be busy in groups when you get in one. You may have better luck getting grouped as an enchanter based upon your hours of availability. If I am up late, I often get invites to Howling Stones and Sebilis.
Necros are fun to play too. I've always liked the idea behind the necro. Many people play necros as a solo class. This has two effects. 1) Many players don't know how to effectively play a necro in groups (heals, mana transfers, darkness, etc) and 2) Many people don't see necros as having a lot of value in groups due to #1 and the fact that they rarely group with one. I happen to appreciate having a necro in my groups.

Houdiny
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I put LFG up when I start kiting and soloing and almost always get a tell to join a group of some sort. Especially later in the evening. I find myself conflicted every evening whether or not I want to partake in a group and stay up late or just go to bed. Usually grouping wins out.

I am lvl 20 right now, and last night I solo'd from about 6pm to 8 pm and then got a tell to join High Keep, was there an hour and group broke, then got a tell right away for Mistmoore for another hour or so.

I was a little low level for both groups probably but still found one. It isn't as bad as u think. Sure the numbers don't seem all that promising but how often do you play a game where you have all the necessary classes LFG at your disposal when you need them? Even playing a game with millions of users that's a tall task.

Just keep playing and enjoying your time. If you run into a road block then worry about. I wouldn't worry about something that is A. Out of your control, and B. Might not even be a problem by the time you cross that bridge.