PDA

View Full Version : Question about healers!

Taiku
07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
So I've been thinking that a monk is perhaps not the best class to farm with, and really, everyone I group with is either a monk or some other melee class, so I was thinking of making a healing class, something that I could perhaps get easier groups with, or be able to duo with some of my melee buddies!

I was trying to balance my decision between Druid and Cleric, Cleric seems to be the "better" healer, and the rezzes would be really nice, but as far as making plat goes, I think a druid with the ability to port and heal almost as good, as well as being able to kite things would be better.

My question is how much of a difference there is between clerics and druids, in terms of grouping and cash flow, this will most likely be to supplement my monk's leveling, and not as a replacement, just to be able to maybe gets some better gear on my monk so I can solo more efficiently, since I have yet to find a healer who is on often enough and within my level range to group up with. Once I saw how much FBSS and fungi cost (though i know that's a loooong way away), I think I need to rethink what I do to make plat. :3

Thanks for reading! :D

whippetofspades
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Druids are much more self-reliant and better soloers, so that translates to better farming abilities and thus more plat for most of the game. 29 brings group ports so that is another significant cash boost. Clerics will make money from drops in groups and rezzes, but that won't be until much higher levels. Being able to farm or port at any time you want beats waiting for and then rolling on drops in groups.

On the other hand, clerics will have a much easier time getting a group. They are by far the best healers in the game and at higher levels every group will want one. They are one of the very few indispensible classes in this game and thus will never have the same problems getting a group as would, say, a druid.

batkiller
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Druid would be better early on, you can port people and get donations. People might only give 20p or something, but seeing as you start with nothing, that's a lot of money. They are also a piece of cake to solo with, and fairly welcome in groups. There are however, a huge amount of druids on the server.

Clerics, they generally struggle with soloing, have no ports and no way to get donations unless you don't mind spend forever travelling to all the far off places people have died. And in the lower levels, people don't really seem to care what class their healer is, as long as they can heal, so shammys and druids have kind of a similar chance to get a healer spot as you would as a cleric.

However it will change at higher levels. Especially if you can get to 50+. Groups will do anything to get a good Cleric, and if you go to somewhere 'serious', a Cleric is pretty much essential. And also at this point, all the 20 plats and stuff become laughable. There is a gigantic jump in the cost of stuff with Kunark loot. There are a few old world items like FBSS which are still valuable, but for the most part, it's all worth virtually nothing in comparison. But get invited to a group in Sebilis or Howling Stones or whatever, and all you need is one piece of loot from there and it's really valuable. There are a few over farmed items that have lost their value a bit, like the Froglok Bonecaster Robe or whatever, but mostly you can become rich off any phat Kunark item. There are also some levels when you will be able to solo, for example a friend of mine did most of his 40's soloing spectres, and you can make a lot of cash doing that too.

But really, it's better to just pick whichever you would most prefer to play. You will eventually make good money with either a Druid or Cleric, so it's probably better to just decide based on what you like to do, and they both have their pros and cons. Clerics are very simple to play in that all you ever do is heal and buff, but need a cool head and decent reflexes in a group. It's also nice to know that you are the best healer in the game and working your way down to the depths of a dungeon, you'll realise you are irreplacable and if you need to go AFK or something, people better wait for you to come back.

Druids on the other hand, lack most of that, but instead get lots of nice variety. One minute you'll be healing people, next minute you'll be dotting mobs that are incoming, maybe root something to aid with crowd control, and then shooting some nukes to finish off some troublesome mobs. Sometimes all in one fight.

Good luck, hope you enjoy whichever way you go :)

Taiku
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you for the responses, I think batkiller has swayed my decision away from a druid :) I love the thought of being a cleric finally, on live (years and years ago) I played a druid, but I have never played a cleric. The pure healer role is something that sounds more of what I want to do, I played healers since I started gaming, but I've never played the pure healer class in anything, always some sort of hybrid. So I think I'll start a cleric, I need to pick a race though, that's one thing that always gets in the way of starting a new character for me lol, Indecision on a race. Is there a "best" race for a cleric? or religion? as far as quests go or anything like that, not that i'll decide completely for me but maybe some things to consider, I know halflings get hide! ^^

And yeah I'm quite serious about the game, I want to progress, I want to raid, and I want to see all the end game there is to be seen, so if cleric is the way in, then I'm happy to play the healer!

Verenity
07-24-2012, 09:45 PM
High elf has the best starting wisdom

Ephirith
07-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Dark elves are nice because their wisdom is still pretty high, but you have the innate racial ability to Hide, which is very useful. Their melee stats are also slightly better than High Elves.

Dwarves I believe have the best melee stats, but lack Hide.

Halflings have hide, pretty good stats, and a racial exp bonus. Prepare to get asked for sows and ports.

Thedonn
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Dark Elf Cleric for the hide skill is pure win for me so often

feanan
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Halfling for the win! Who likes to be hated? :)

Though, really, I wish I had gone gnome. So cute!

And yes, up until I got my hate armor, people asked me for sow and port ALL the time. It was pretty annoying.

Snagglepuss
07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Dwarven clerics have the best personalities.

Danth
07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
"Is there a "best" race for a cleric? "

Halflings have access to both hide and sneak, with the tricks those skills provide, and also have a slight experience bonus. On P1999 this race is probably "best" at level 60.

High elves have extremely high starting wisdom, but are very weak. They're good for cleric players who like to wear cloth/leather.

Dwarves have the highest overall stats; in particular they have good strength and hence can carry the most loot from a group.

Dark elves have tolerable but unremarkable stats. Some people like the snare-click necklace they have access to.

Gnomes offer access to tinkering, but otherwise have poor starting stats for a Cleric.

Humans and Erudites are both adequate but unremarkable; there isn't really any particular reason to pick these races unless you happen to want to.

Danth

Taiku
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Awesome, I've decided on a halfling I think after a lot of consideration, the clicky necklace dosn't interest me, and I don't really like the look of dark elves! Plus for me, who has no higher level chars, the exp bonus would make this just a bit quicker, but by far the most important thing was Hide and Sneak, I think these will come in very handy.

So I started my female Halfling named "Quest", I don't know anything about clerics, some advice on cheap gear would be awesome if anyone has any suggestions! I want to get to grouping and healing as soon as possible! ^^

falkun
07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
The other benefit is that cleric epic is 1) better and 2) easier to get than the druid epic.

Taiku
07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
The other benefit is that cleric epic is 1) better and 2) easier to get than the druid epic.

Lol oh yeah? that's awesome, though I think i'm a long way away from getting my epic, I just killed my first bat!

Raavak
07-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Dwarven clerics have the best personalities.

Dwarfs also get to jump and roll. The only race that can do that! And when you get good you can do it in reverse.

Slave
07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Sneak allows you to do faction quests or sell items to unfriendly merchants... which is really not that big of a deal when you're not an evil race anyway. It is certainly the least useful ability between Sneak, Hide, and 10% exp bonus. Hide I use constantly; it's the best racial in the game after frontal stun immunity.

However, I would still take Sneak over clicky Darkness, though I think that is a superb ability as well. Yet in the end I would rather be a Dark Elf than a Halfling, simply because of height considerations and playing in first person view. Dark Elves tend to look better in plate armor too.

Wotsirb401
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Lol oh yeah? that's awesome, though I think i'm a long way away from getting my epic, I just killed my first bat!

You would be surprised how close you are

Egil
07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Humans and Erudites are both adequate but unremarkable; there isn't really any particular reason to pick these races unless you happen to want to.

Human Cleric of Innoruuk can quest both the clicky snare and Erudite cleric items.

Arclanz
07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Bravo on picking Cleric. My secondary character in EQ was a cleric and I think I played a cleric on P99 in 2010. They are a blast unless the group is slow. As a friend* said in 2000, Clerics get respect and druids....can't remember what he said but it wasn't flattering.

* this friend founded and led the premier raiding guild (War Without End) on, I think, FV at launch.

I'm not too fond of the Druid class; it's too easy; but I am fond of many individual druid players met over the years. Druids who group throughout the entire level range are A-ok in my book.

Slave
07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Halfling Cleric might be able to do some nice pulls with Pacify + Sneak, as well, hmm...

Happyfeet
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Halfling, no questions about it. My reasoning: Great starting area close to EC, easy/small starting city, Nillipuss, and being generally awesome.
Hide and sneak are the main reasons though, I can pull just about anything solo from anywhere (Like shroom king, HS crap, etc). I can often CR in Chardok with sneak, depending on which way the dogs are facing.

Slave
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I've just been in too many situations where Cleric clicky necklace has come in handy to make the call which race is actually better at 60. (And I wasn't even the one using it)

Ok, I do give the edge to Sneak over the necklace, but with a combination of height, vision, and look, Dark Elf takes it for me in the end. I believe both get some superb racial armor that is more or less equal.

webrunner5
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
That is the problem with Gnomes. They are too short to see over others. But I do like them.

Raavak
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Dark Elves tend to look better in plate armor too.
Female DE's are so hawt.

Happyfeet
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Also think about how stupid you want to look come SoV.

http://mentalized.net/journal/2003/08/26/velious_custom_helmets/

Arclanz
07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Female DE's are so hawt.

QFT. On live my cleric mercs were always female DE and tank mercs were always female wood elves.

Pillow Armadillo
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Also think about how stupid you want to look come SoV.

http://mentalized.net/journal/2003/08/26/velious_custom_helmets/

Custom Plate Helms are optional end-game. LOL at Dark Elf and High Elf models. I didn't remember those from Live. Thanks for the link :)

Being all/all, does the Cowl of Mortality carry the same looks as the others after the quest turn-in?

Austrianna
07-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Hey Taiku, it was my druid that ported you out of OT a week or two ago =) I may possibly have some hand-me-downs for you as my main is a cleric. Look for me in game!

Taiku
07-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey Taiku, it was my druid that ported you out of OT a week or two ago =) I may possibly have some hand-me-downs for you as my main is a cleric. Look for me in game!

What char are you on? or are you not online now? ^^ just hopped back on after doing dishes, didn't see Moirae online!

Snagglepuss
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Now I see where some of the ugly Luclin helmet models originated.

Heavydrop
07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Halflings have hide, pretty good stats, and a racial exp bonus. Prepare to get asked for sows and ports.

LOL so true