PDA

View Full Version : Question about ranger root spells

Acrux Bcrux
07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
So this has been bothering me for a while and i cant figure it out maybe some druids / rangers can shed some light on the situation.

Level 49 Ranger/ 24 druid root spell Ensaring roots
Decrease HP when cast by 34 (L24) to 60 (L50)
Duration: 1.4 minutes @L24 to 1.6 minutes @L27

Level 60 Ranger / 39 druid root spell Enveloping roots
Decrease HP when cast by 88 (L39) to 110 (L50)
Duration: 1 minute

Now i would assume that the higher level spell would be better and im not trying to dps with root spells. Am i missing something here or is the level 49 spell going to be the best root a ranger is going to use? Anyone got any input on this?

Happyfeet
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Quicker cast time on the higher lvl one, helps since you don't have the channeling of a druid. I always use the higher lvl spell as a rule because they are resisted less as well.

Nordenwatch
07-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Quicker cast time on the higher lvl one, helps since you don't have the channeling of a druid. I always use the higher lvl spell as a rule because they are resisted less as well.

is this true for all spells? higher level -> less chance of resist in the same line?

Or is it only for the line of spells that happen to have a - resist check as the spell level increases?

There are some lower level spells that are much better than upper level spells, for instance paralyzing earth is a level 49 spell for necros but its by far the best root in terms of duration and mana efficiency.

kaev
07-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I've never heard of spell level having anything to do with resists, nor seen any evidence of it live or here. Caster level and resist mods on the spell itself, sure.

Otherwise I'm with Happyfeet, faster cast root is much more betterer when trying to stop a runner (or stop something large from squishing you.)

Happyfeet
07-28-2012, 03:07 AM
I suppose it's kind of an old wives' tale with the high level spells thing (the closer a spell is to the target the easier it will land). It has seemed to hold true over the years for me, but then again I upgrade because of the casting time, dmg, duration, etc.

I dunno, we talk about the lvl 29 ensnare and VP wurms(60) all the time. We tend to use them as an example, but honestly their MR is just stupidly high. Sometimes it will take me 1 and sometimes 27 snares to land... (My current record is actually 27 resists, the bane of my existence).

Messianic
07-28-2012, 07:42 AM
The alternative argument is that fizzling occurs less with lower level spells (I forget where I read that, but i'm pretty sure it's accurate), so you have a lower likelihood of fizzling a bunch of times when needing a critical root.

Totally open to someone to correct that though, if it's wrong.