PDA

View Full Version : Server Population

Hailto
07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
So it seems to me the server pop is finally starting to climb back up again. I was wondering if there is a graph of sorts out there showing population trends? I seem to remember seeing one a year or so ago but maybe im thinking of something else. Would be cool to have some sort of graphing system that audits the population a few times a day. Anyone know?

Tasslehofp99
07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
lol where is that kitty's ears?

Danth
07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
The cat's a scottish fold, or some similar breed.

It's good to see population on the upswing.

Danth

Hailto
08-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah, scottish fold, genetic defect causes their ears to lay flat.

xnolanx
08-01-2012, 02:42 AM
i hate cats

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Earth's summer wanes and Norrath's denizens ebb!

Hrm. There's got to be a Beach Boys song in there somewhere.

Great to see nonetheless. I almost did a cartoon eye-rub when I saw 520 at server select last night.

fadetree
08-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Earth's summer wanes and Norrath's denizens ebb!

Hrm. There's got to be a Beach Boys song in there somewhere.

Great to see nonetheless. I almost did a cartoon eye-rub when I saw 520 at server select last night.

You mean waxes...ebb means to recede.

Striiker
08-01-2012, 09:27 AM
So it seems to me the server pop is finally starting to climb back up again. I was wondering if there is a graph of sorts out there showing population trends? I seem to remember seeing one a year or so ago but maybe im thinking of something else. Would be cool to have some sort of graphing system that audits the population a few times a day. Anyone know?

I recall when people started doing this on EQ live long ago. They used to list the actual population for each server at the server select screen. (man, pre-Kunark servers with 2400 players was... interesting).
Anyway, Sony removed the player counts once the numbers started to go down. Web sites were analyzing the trends and commenting about the long-term viability of EQ etc. I think this was around when WOW came out..
I think it would be interesting to see this for P1999

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
You mean waxes...ebb means to recede.

Heh. You'll clean up the misuse of English on the internet one post at a time! Keep up the awesome work!

Here are other trivial things I always get wrong so you can be ready:
- Reading an analog clock
- Daylight saving's time with respect to Arizona refusing to observe it

The following is a grammatically correct sentence that allows me to show my English prowess:

"The effects of the painkillers affected Lagaidh's overall affect; which in turn effected his decision to defend his ability to craft absurdly complex English correctly."

Put that in your grammar nazi pipe and smoke it.

Extunarian
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
(man, pre-Kunark servers with 2400 players was... interesting).

High Keep Basement is 8 camps!!!

falkun
08-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I never saw more than four: LR, WR, RR, and that duo spot in the little nook next to LR.

feanan
08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
It's august 1. Hardly the end of summer.

Server bump is probably from 2 boxers coming out of the woodwork due to various reasons

Snagglepuss
08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
High Keep Basement is 8 camps!!!

Yeah! Newbs in the basement. Twenties to forties in the Lookout Room, Guard Room, Warrior Room, and Raider Room. If you didn't have enough, you could have done the guards and bards until 50.

It was the one stop shop for leveling. Food, water, buffs, and it was an outdoor zone with a decent ZEM. Man, I miss that zone.

Houdiny
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Ya population is more about the summer than anything. Was always that way on live and continues trending in any mmo. If the population wasn't rising about now that's what would worry me. Everybody is back from vacationing, going on trips, doing their lake thing. All the fun things that make summer great.

There has been an influx of "New or returning player" posts on the forums as well. So that is also a bonus. Server will thrive come mid winter and especially when Velious gets released.

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
It's august 1. Hardly the end of summer.

Server bump is probably from 2 boxers coming out of the woodwork due to various reasons

Eh? Lotta schools and universities are moving in or have already.

The end of summer vacation is what I meant. Always seems to be bumps then.

fadetree
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Heh. You'll clean up the misuse of English on the internet one post at a time! Keep up the awesome work!

Here are other trivial things I always get wrong so you can be ready:
- Reading an analog clock
- Daylight saving's time with respect to Arizona refusing to observe it

The following is a grammatically correct sentence that allows me to show my English prowess:

"The effects of the painkillers affected Lagaidh's overall affect; which in turn effected his decision to defend his ability to craft absurdly complex English correctly."

Put that in your grammar nazi pipe and smoke it.

Lol, sorry, I knew I shouldn't have done that. I will seek help.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Lol, sorry, I knew I shouldn't have done that. I will seek help.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

/bigolsmile

Hehe, I'm pleased you took my joke for what it was. I reread it a few times and thought it may seem incredibly snotty without facial expression or voice inflection. I thought I smelled the stink of a fellow grammar nerd and let it fly.

Huzzah!

Tecmos Deception
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Actually that sentence wasn't correct. You can't effect a decision any more than you can bored a train.

I couldn't resist.

monkeydoc
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
verb (used with object)
to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring.

Affect can rarely be a noun, and effect can rarely be a verb.

fadetree
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Actually that sentence wasn't correct. You can't effect a decision any more than you can bored a train.

I couldn't resist.

Sure you can. From the definition :

tr.v. ef·fect·ed, ef·fect·ing, ef·fects
1. To bring into existence.
2. To produce as a result.
3. To bring about.

'The result ( the decision ) was effected by the painkillers.' which means that the decision was brought about by the painkillers. The implication being that without them, no decision would have been made.

You could also say 'The result ( the decision ) was affected by the painkillers' but that has a slightly different meaning, that of affecting the content of his decision but not the act of deciding itself.

YOUR KUNG FU IS WEAK!

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM

I couldn't resist.

You sure can. You have a new esoteric grammar rule you can learn! Huzzah!

This usage roughly means "to bring about". It's just my silly nerd example that affect and effect can both be verbs or nouns.

Man. I'm glad I'm already married. This sort of stuff on an internet message board would ruin my chances otherwise.

Lagaidh
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Gah! My fellow nerd beat me to it!

Raavak
08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
High Keep Basement is 8 camps!!!Life expectancy of an LGuk frog was like 5 seconds.

Arclanz
08-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I guess folks are very tired of D3. Hey what happened to that group that went to EQmac?

Hailto
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Thread derailed?

formallydickman
08-02-2012, 06:38 AM
was on shaky ground from the start, due to that awesome cat gif. :)

Shamen
08-02-2012, 08:11 AM
have not played in a long time, thinking about coming back. Whats the hot spot for 44ish lvls these days?

falkun
08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
solb?

Adrieth
08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Solb probably best until you can get into the Karnors mess.

bulbousaur
08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
City of Mist also.

Snagglepuss
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I always see groups in the Dreadlands, but Solb / CoM have a better ZEM. Once you get 50, Karnors is always kickin'.