PDA

View Full Version : EQ live, and P99 on same computer?

zeik
08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Looking for someone a little more tech savvy than i am to tell me how i can get 2 installs of EQ onto my PC. since EQ live went free. i have a hankering to poke around on live for a few hours and check out my old toons... but don't want to have to reinstall a fresh copy of titanium in 40 minutes just to come back here!

Anyway, anyone who can help please PM me or add to the thread.. the more idiot proof the better.

Thanks!

SirAlvarex
08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
EQ doesn't require any registry values, so I guess the "quick and easy way" would be for you to copy your Titanium install (the entire directory) to a flash drive, then install new EQ from scratch. You could then copy/paste from the flash/USB drive to it's own P99 folder and have both running in the same directory.

I haven't installed 2 versions of EQ at the same time so I can't give you direct instructions, but I have moved my Titanium install from my old laptop to my new one by simply copying all the files and didn't run into any issues.

Austrianna
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
You want to install on a different drive or partition if you can. If that's not possible, just make a different folder for the new install (you can specify a path when you install). I used to have two Live installs on two different drives on the same computer in order to two box without sharing files.

Also keep your shortcuts to launch the game different - label one p99 clearly if you haven't already done that.

Given that your new install won't have any of the edits required for this server, you should run the patcher and hop on live without issue.

SirAlvarex
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Substitute "USB Drive" with any form of backup, even using WinRAR, zip, a disk, a second harddrive, etc. Basically just backup your directory and install real EQ, then restore your backup to whatever directory you wish.

shwally
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Install them in different locations on your computer... It's pretty simple.

fadetree
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
^ yup

mwatt
08-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I had some issue when I tried to use the install to install EQ to another directory once it was already installed - though I cannot recall what it was. What DOES work however, has already been mentioned. Copy your existing install somewhere (be sure to change any shortcuts) and then unintall or delete the original EQ installation. After you have done that, you can install EQ all over again to it's default location and then you will have two EQs. You can repeat this process ad infinitum. I myself currently have Shards of Dayala and two versions of Project 1999 (Titanium and SoF).

monkeydoc
08-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Why do you recommend a different drive/partition? I'm not seeing any advantage there.

Austrianna
08-09-2012, 03:45 PM
It just goes back to my experience on live. I had two installs and when they were on the same drive, I found that they were utilizing the same files sometimes. I had installed two copies to avoid that happening. Prior I was running two instances from the same install and that made things laggy. With p99 I only have one install, I tried to get EQMac running (can't for the life of me and no idea why it won't log in) and when I installed that stuff, I went to a different drive by default.

It also skips the step of having to copy/move the p99 install and then reinstall, move back etc.

SirAlvarex
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Different drive/partition only helps if you are planning on running the programs concurrently, which I assume not.

But for the ancillary benefits, it makes it more of a "defined move" which will prevent the person installing the program from accidentally trashing their P99 installation. It's the same reason I advised copying the P99 installation to a flash drive, that way they 1. Have a backup just in case they trash their installation when installing live eq and 2. it's a defined procedure he can perform.

But really yeah, he could probably just install the EQ installer from SOE to a different directory and be fine.

fadetree
08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I run p99 off of a friggin USB stick sometimes on my laptop.

maahes
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
It's funny that people post answers to questions like this when they clearly don't have the knowledge base. But I guess when you go from no idea to having kinda of an idea it can be empowering.

You don't need separate drives or part ions. Just make 2 different directories, name them what ever you want. Create shortcuts, again what ever you want.

Blah.

SirAlvarex
08-10-2012, 11:18 AM
It's funny that people post answers to questions like this when they clearly don't have the knowledge base. But I guess when you go from no idea to having kinda of an idea it can be empowering.

You don't need separate drives or part ions. Just make 2 different directories, name them what ever you want. Create shortcuts, again what ever you want.

Blah.

It's funny when people post digs at other people when they have no reason other than being an ass. I guess when someone tries to put others down due to thinking they know everything, it can be empowering.

Just make sure you don't trash your current installation and you'll be fine. I still suggest making a backup in another directory/media, but yes you should also include the shortcuts since those also contain important information.

So to sum up my suggestion:
1. Copy entire file-structure/shortcuts to a secondary medium (flash-drive, external harddrive, zip them up with WinRAR). Especially take care of the shortcuts since those could be overwritten if they have the same filename as EQLives on your desktop.
2. Install EQLive to a separate directory.
3. Have funsies comparing Live to P99!
4. Oh, and don't worry about these apparent "part ions," your computer won't explode due to instability in their molecular structure!

Bah.